PDA

View Full Version : Arky takes historic plunge in top 25

PalmettoSooner
9/9/2012, 03:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arkansas-tough-weekend-gets-worse-drops-ap-top-184205310--ncaaf.html

cleller
9/9/2012, 03:20 PM
I guess if they could somehow beat Bama, things would get even more interesting.

Not going to happen, though.

OUinFLA
9/9/2012, 03:25 PM
I hope they win their next 7 games

Curly Bill
9/9/2012, 03:39 PM
Friday night I talked to one of the players who's redshirting at Louisiana Monroe this season and he was telling me he thought they had a good shot against Arky. I thought to myself: Yeah right! :)

8timechamps
9/9/2012, 04:17 PM
Friday night I talked to one of the players who's redshirting at Louisiana Monroe this season and he was telling me he thought they had a good shot against Arky. I thought to myself: Yeah right! :)

The old "we're gonna shock the world" thing.

Curly Bill
9/9/2012, 04:19 PM
The old "we're gonna shock the world" thing.

Shock the world yeah, but he talked like it wouldn't shock the team to do it. Confidence can be a wonderful thing I guess?! :)

cleller
9/9/2012, 05:23 PM
Who was the first "shock the world" team for real?

SoonerStormchaser
9/9/2012, 05:30 PM
Confidence can be a wonderful thing I guess?! :)

So are drugs...

SoonerBread
9/9/2012, 06:26 PM
Serves their fans right. My facebook exploded last year after OU-Teck with Arky fans talking major ****. Now I'm just sitting back laughing my *** off. **** em and feed em fish heads.

8timechamps
9/9/2012, 06:47 PM

You mean where did the quote originate? I don't know, but when I hear it (recently), I think about App State beating Michigan.

Soonermagik
9/9/2012, 08:05 PM
Shock the world yeah, but he talked like it wouldn't shock the team to do it. Confidence can be a wonderful thing I guess?! :)

Congrats to them... but John L Smith is the hog's coach after all. The guy was horrible at Michigan State if memory serves me. I wouldn't expect Arkie to do jack squat with him at the helm.

iNFoRMaLiTY
9/9/2012, 09:36 PM
Living on the Oklahoma/Arkansas line and working in Arkansas I hear it ALLLL the time. The OU bashing, the SEC is the strongest, etc etc. Very funny stuff to talk to them now.

Plus.. being deployed with the 188th Fighter Wing the.. Flying Razorbacks. There were a lot of butt hurt people here yesterday haha. Weird feeling being the only one in the room of 50+ clapping.. with everyone else head down :P

TanTanFeil
9/9/2012, 10:20 PM
I'm a student at the UofA, but grew up in Oklahoma being a long time OU fan. I was at the game last night and it was rough. Arkansas is NOT as good as predicted. They looked awful. And the blame starts with Bobby Petrino

zeke
9/10/2012, 11:10 AM
I live in OK and work in Ft Smith and have to listen to hog/sec crap constantly. I hate arky more than any other. This is great. There will be all sorts of excuses blah blah blah.

Knowing the media and fan base in the Ft. Smith & NW ark area, the pigs will be back in the hunt next year and they will fully expect the respect of an OU, Bama or LSU type program. Listening to them you would think they are and always have been a huge power-house.

Saturday night was GREAT!

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2012, 11:16 AM
Did he have the same feelings about playing us?

IslandSooner
9/10/2012, 12:48 PM
This makes me so happy. I can't stop smiling.
F**K the razorpigs.....

Curly Bill
9/10/2012, 12:50 PM
Did he have the same feelings about playing us?

He didn't express them if so. I guess he was taking it one game at a time. :)

stoopified
9/10/2012, 12:50 PM
I live in OK and work in Ft Smith and have to listen to hog/sec crap constantly. I hate arky more than any other. This is great. There will be all sorts of excuses blah blah blah.

Knowing the media and fan base in the Ft. Smith & NW ark area, the pigs will be back in the hunt next year and they will fully expect the respect of an OU, Bama or LSU type program. Listening to them you would think they are and always have been a huge power-house.

Saturday night was GREAT!Funny thing is they have only been ranked in thhe Final Polls 5 times in the last 20 years(during their SEC time),while OU has been ranked 12 times in that period.That is inspite of the fact that from '92-'98 was the worst stretch in the modern history of Sooner football.

Scott D
9/10/2012, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure someone here said that under John L. Smith the Hogs would inexplicably lose a game they shouldn't have.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2012, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure someone here said that under John L. Smith the Hogs would inexplicably lose a game they shouldn't have.

Everyone eventually loses a game they shouldn't have.

Scott D
9/10/2012, 02:55 PM
Everyone eventually loses a game they shouldn't have.

I never said he was done. Don't be surprised when Arky loses to Ole Miss this year.

winout
9/10/2012, 03:00 PM
Serves their fans right. My facebook exploded last year after OU-Teck with Arky fans talking major ****. Now I'm just sitting back laughing my *** off. **** em and feed em fish heads.

OU 69% vs SEC. 72% against Big XII. Dead heat really. Facts are your friend.

Source: http://soonerstats.com/football/series/index.cfm?Affiliation=SEC

We're 70% vs. Pigs: http://soonerstats.com/football/series/details.cfm?OppID=6

BigTip
9/10/2012, 03:04 PM
I hope they win their next 7 games

This was my evil plan. Hogs loose to a nobody, but go on to knock off bama and LSU.

Hey! It could happen.

NWOSURanger
9/10/2012, 03:09 PM
You mean where did the quote originate? I don't know, but when I hear it (recently), I think about App State beating Michigan.

Was Arky on dope....(Mr. Hand wants to know.)

PalmBeachSooner
9/10/2012, 03:58 PM
It wasn't a football game. Muhammad Ali made this statement famous when he proclaimed, "i'm going to shock the world" prior to his historic bout with George Foreman in what was then Zaire and now the Republic of the Congo and that's exactly what he did.

pac10SUX
9/10/2012, 04:36 PM
Does this now mean that Sun Belt > SEC??

I think they might be chanting SunBelt SunBelt SunBelt down South nowadays!!

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2012, 04:40 PM
The easy fix would be for Arky to knockoff Bama. Then they would get an historic rise up the top 25.

Okay, maybe not so "easy".

marfacowboy
9/10/2012, 04:45 PM
I never said he was done. Don't be surprised when Arky loses to Ole Miss this year.

This isn't a surprise any year, in fact. Arkansas is usually better, but the series is pretty close. Arkansas occasionally wins big; when Ole Miss wins, it's usually pretty close. If that means anything....
In the 1950's, they played the game in little old Crump Stadium in Memphis, and it was one of the hottest rivalries in the South. My dad said one of the reasons was all the fights in the stands.

marfacowboy
9/10/2012, 04:45 PM
The easy fix would be for Arky to knockoff Bama. Then they would get an historic rise up the top 25.

Okay, maybe not so "easy".

Ain't happening. Not when your defense gives up 500+ yards to LMU.

MI Sooner
9/10/2012, 05:51 PM

In my opinion, that's a little misleading, since it includes A&M and Missouri. I know not all of our games against them were as members of the Big 8/12, but if you subtract those, we're at 61% against the SEC. Also, I think all but 1 of the games against Arkansas occurred before they joined the SEC. Ultimately, we just haven't played a lot of games against the SEC.

Edited to note that that only SEC teams (not counting A&M and Missouri) that we we're over 1 game above .500 against are Vandy and Arkansas. That means if we played the other 10 teams that were SEC members last year, we might not emerge with a winning record, all-time. Then again, we only have a losing record against Mississippi and Florida, and only 1 game below .500 in both cases.

BigTip
9/10/2012, 06:00 PM
Was Arky on dope....(Mr. Hand wants to know.)

lol

opksooner
9/10/2012, 10:34 PM
Just watched the replay. When the Arky QB went down, they didn't have any more giddyup in their offense. That, plus their defense couldn't do doo doo.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/11/2012, 07:00 AM

Sparta?

XingTheRubicon
9/11/2012, 09:07 AM
Holy hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1BO0vAUD8&feature=player_embedded

jk the sooner fan
9/11/2012, 09:09 AM
that video is pure greatness

85sooners
9/11/2012, 09:35 AM
Hog fans are dip$hits

Scott D
9/11/2012, 12:12 PM
Actually I am even more amused with the loss the more I think about it. It's a very very distinct possibility that even with Wilson playing the remaining 10 games of the season that Arky could end up like Wisconsin and potentially struggle to finish the year at 6-6. One should never underestimate the idiocy of John L. Smith, and the players are getting just what they deserve by pushing so hard for him to be the coach, and the Arky Athletic Dept. is getting what they deserve by actually caving to the players and hiring him away from Akron. They'd have probably been better off with Paul Petrino taking over.

MamaMia
9/11/2012, 04:57 PM
My favorite pen pals, an OU fan, lives in Arkansas and doesn't like them at all. I was happy for her that they lost.

zeke
9/11/2012, 05:45 PM
Hog fans are dip$hits

^this^

SoonerBread
9/13/2012, 07:48 AM

What are you talking about?

olevetonahill
9/13/2012, 07:59 AM
The ONLY time I enjoy another teams loss is if it some how directly benefits us.

cleller
9/13/2012, 08:07 AM
The ONLY time I enjoy another teams loss is if it some how directly benefits us.

That's admirable. I will admit, I enjoy it whenever ND, OSU, Texas, Oregon, Miami lose.

olevetonahill
9/13/2012, 08:19 AM
That's admirable. I will admit, I enjoy it whenever ND, OSU, Texas, Oregon, Miami lose.

Naw it aint admirable at all. I just dont GAS, Now when OsU and saxet lose it helps us right So Ill give ya those
ND, Miami, UsC, Oregon, Ok Ill admit I smile a bit when they lose:encouragement:

BigTip
9/13/2012, 08:35 AM
Naw it aint admirable at all. I just dont GAS, Now when OsU and saxet lose it helps us right So Ill give ya those
ND, Miami, UsC, Oregon, Ok Ill admit I smile a bit when they lose:encouragement:

There ya go.

I was going to say who doesn't smile a little bit when they see ND on the short end of the stick?

olevetonahill
9/13/2012, 09:03 AM
There ya go.

I was going to say who doesn't smile a little bit when they see ND on the short end of the stick?

:smile:

Scott D
9/13/2012, 06:18 PM

People up here are enjoying it for two different reasons.

Michigan fans are enjoying it because as they put it "At least App State was FCS defending champs" (Granted they are scheduled to play them in the near future)

Michigan State fans are enjoying it because they remember the humiliation that was having John L. Smith as their head coach, and they're very happy to see it happen to a SEC team.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2012, 06:27 PM

The only time I enjoy another teams loss (outside impacting OU) is if it results in a humorous meltdown thread.

8timechamps
9/13/2012, 09:17 PM
People up here are enjoying it for two different reasons.

Michigan fans are enjoying it because as they put it "At least App State was FCS defending champs" (Granted they are scheduled to play them in the near future)

Michigan State fans are enjoying it because they remember the humiliation that was having John L. Smith as their head coach, and they're very happy to see it happen to a SEC team.

Michigan fans are just trying to give away "the worst loss ever" trophy. At least ULM is a D1 (FBS) team. In my personal annals of history, Michigan still holds the title of the worst loss.

Scott D
9/13/2012, 09:48 PM
Michigan fans are just trying to give away "the worst loss ever" trophy. At least ULM is a D1 (FBS) team. In my personal annals of history, Michigan still holds the title of the worst loss.

Didn't Cal lose to an NAIA school last year?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/13/2012, 09:54 PM

ND and Miami are inconsequential now. USC always sucks just because.

Oregon, however, is on a different plane. I want them to lose every game, slide off into the Pacific, and then continue to lose. Fkn cheaters!

ouleaf
10/4/2012, 03:29 PM
Just when you think things couldn't be more ridiculous. First the "Alabama" mistake and now this. I don't see how he won't be fired too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8460722/arkansas-razorbacks-coach-john-l-smith-now-lists-407m-debt

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Arkansas coach John L. Smith has amended his bankruptcy filing, listing $40.7 million in debts -- up from $25.7 million just last month.

The filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Little Rock on Wednesday shows Smith has $1.3 million in assets. His previous filing listed $25.7 million in debts and $1.2 million in assets.

The difference appears to be $15 million owed to Branch Banking & Trust in Louisville, Ky. The original filing on Sept. 19 listed the amount owed to Branch Banking & Trust as unknown. The latest filing says the exact amount owed is unknown -- but is more than $15 million.

Smith filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on Sept. 6 after a series of real estate investments went bad. The largest debt listed is $20 million to Terra Springs LLC of Louisville.

cleller
10/4/2012, 03:53 PM
Good grief, they hired Smith because he looked stable after Petrino's deal. How can a football coach get $40 mil in debt? He should have been on that ESPN "Broke" show.

BigJerm7
10/4/2012, 04:05 PM
I bet Weber State is glad their deal fell through.

Scott D
10/4/2012, 04:46 PM
By God that man is an entertaining train wreck.

goingoneight
10/4/2012, 07:56 PM
The guy with the most egg on his face here is Jeff Long IMO. Stupid, stupid hire that was guaranteed to fail miserably. That Arkansas team would've responded better to an assistant being promoted from within.

bluedogok
10/4/2012, 08:56 PM
The guy with the most egg on his face here is Jeff Long IMO. Stupid, stupid hire that was guaranteed to fail miserably. That Arkansas team would've responded better to an assistant being promoted from within.
He was the "assistant promoted from within" since he was with the Arkansas staff, took the Weber State job, then Petrino was fired. He was with Weber State about like Price at Alabama and Bellicheck with the Jets. I think it was always intended that Smith was to be an interim coach for this season.