PDA

View Full Version : Helmet rule?

TitoMorelli
9/9/2012, 11:21 AM
What's the logic behind this new rule? I've seen a couple of games in which the starting QB had to leave the field for a play at a crucial point in a game. Was this added because some players were exposing themselves to unnecessary risks?

C&CDean
9/9/2012, 11:25 AM
No, it's because some teams have a player lose their hat so they can cop some rest or slow down the other team. Wasn't it a&m last year where fat boy lost his lid on like 5 straight plays?

JLEW1818
9/9/2012, 11:26 AM
I love the rule.

bluedogok
9/9/2012, 11:33 AM
I think it is mainly to combat the "loose helmet syndrome" that many players have nowadays. Helmets should not be coming off their heads, they have adjustable, custom fitted helmets these days at most levels, even my 9 y.o. nephew has a helmet "fitted". Back when most of us played we pulled a helmet out of a bin and found the one that fit the best, we made sure the chin strap was tight and I don't recall helmets flying off back then (30+ years ago) at any level of play like they do now. It's just one of those rules that came about because players won't wear their equipment correctly, like how many NFL players now do not wear the thigh and knee pads to the point the NFL is instituting a rule next season where they are required safety equipment. Sometimes players don't do what they should.

MamaMia
9/9/2012, 12:33 PM
No, it's because some teams have a player lose their hat so they can cop some rest or slow down the other team. Wasn't it a&m last year where fat boy lost his lid on like 5 straight plays?I remember that, but don't remember what team it was. It was so obvious what he was doing. I may re watch that game to see what the deal was on that and if it was A&M. Players have been faking stuff to get free timeouts forever. Some Notre Dame player who was on the team that broke our winning streak admitted they pulled that stunt during that particular game.

8timechamps
9/9/2012, 01:08 PM
There's only two reasons a helmet should ever come off during play:

1. It gets pulled off by another player (most of the time, this should result in a penalty)

OR

2. It is not securely fastened.

The rule was put into place for two reasons, 1) because players were using it as a way to slow down play (like Dean said, go back and watch the first OU drive against A&M last year. And 2) for safety.

NorthernIowaSooner
9/9/2012, 09:19 PM
No, it's because some teams have a player lose their hat so they can cop some rest or slow down the other team. Wasn't it a&m last year where fat boy lost his lid on like 5 straight plays?

I think it has more to do with the concern about concussions in football. A loose helmet does a player little good. Concussions are the topic de jour right now and rightfully so. I like the rule.

goingoneight
9/9/2012, 10:45 PM
I applaud this rule change. To me, players whose lids keep popping off remind me of those wannabe gangstas who can't pull their damn pants up from their knees. It's funny how DeMarco is one of the best touchdown makers of all time and I don't recall ever seeing his pop off. It's one part discipline, two parts safety, IMO.

salth2o
9/9/2012, 11:48 PM
I applaud this rule change. To me, players whose lids keep popping off remind me of those wannabe gangstas who can't pull their damn pants up from their knees. It's funny how DeMarco is one of the best touchdown makers of all time and I don't recall ever seeing his pop off. It's one part discipline, two parts safety, IMO.

Agreed. Great rule.

Pants on the ground...

goingoneight
9/10/2012, 12:47 AM
I'm hoping it changes the outcome of a game here pretty soon so it paints a picture for all of those kids who need a reality check. Like... say, a team has to go for a two-point conversion just to tie a game late in the 4th quarter and their QB has to sit out the play-- backup QB doesn't execute and the nation is full of what-ifs?

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 12:55 AM
Same. I like the rule. Let it stand.

MamaMia
9/10/2012, 01:39 AM
I agree that its a good rule for safety's sake and it helps to prevent a change in the rhythm of the game.

IslandSooner
9/10/2012, 08:58 AM
Now we just need a rule to get the damn pants off the ground.

BermudaSooner
9/10/2012, 10:16 AM
So can the player that gets his hat knocked off continue to participate in the current play? What if a defender gets his hat knocked off, continues and them makes the tackle? Or a WR catches a ball after his hat is off?

FirstandGoal
9/10/2012, 11:52 AM
So can the player that gets his hat knocked off continue to participate in the current play? What if a defender gets his hat knocked off, continues and them makes the tackle? Or a WR catches a ball after his hat is off?

I was wondering this exact thing. Also, isn't there a stipulation in the rule that if another player rips your helmet off you don't have sit the next play?

Pricetag
9/10/2012, 12:44 PM
I think a player who loses his helmet has to freeze--if he continues, he gets a personal foul.

Turd_Ferguson
9/10/2012, 01:13 PM
They should all play with leather cap's, then we could really see who the bad asses are...

goingoneight
9/10/2012, 02:17 PM
You're giving football players credit for common sense there. I don't see a leather hat stopping Vince Young for a second.

8timechamps
9/10/2012, 02:24 PM

It's surprisingly a pretty complex rule. Basically, if the ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play is whistled dead. If it's anyone else, the play will continue. In either case, the player must leave the field on the next play (unless the player's helmet was pulled off by another player). The player (non ball carrier) that loses his helmet during the play cannot block or tackle.

8timechamps
9/10/2012, 02:27 PM
I'm hoping it changes the outcome of a game here pretty soon so it paints a picture for all of those kids who need a reality check. Like... say, a team has to go for a two-point conversion just to tie a game late in the 4th quarter and their QB has to sit out the play-- backup QB doesn't execute and the nation is full of what-ifs?

If there is 1:00 or less remaining in the game, and an offensive player loses his helmet (NOT being pulled off by another player), then there is an automatic 10 second run off and a 15 yard penalty. So, it's possible that the offense could suffer from more than just losing a star player.

MsProudSooner
9/10/2012, 02:38 PM
If there is 1:00 or less remaining in the game, and an offensive player loses his helmet (NOT being pulled off by another player), then there is an automatic 10 second run off and a 15 yard penalty. So, it's possible that the offense could suffer from more than just losing a star player.

How difficult would it be for an opponent to pull a player's helmet off? Can the officials review a play to see if the opponent pulled the helmet off? It seems to much to ask the officials to determine exactly how a helmet ended up on the ground.

8timechamps
9/10/2012, 02:42 PM
How difficult would it be for an opponent to pull a player's helmet off? Can the officials review a play to see if the opponent pulled the helmet off? It seems to much to ask the officials to determine exactly how a helmet ended up on the ground.

It wouldn't be too difficult, but certainly noticeable. If it did happen, it'd be really hard for a ref not to notice. At that point, it'd be a personal foul. About the only time you see a player pulling a helmet off is on a high tackle or when linemen are engaged. In both cases, a helmet coming off would almost always result in a penalty (face-mask or hands to the face). We probably won't see as many helmets popping off as a result of a big hit as we used to. Players are going to have to buckle up all their straps now.

Scott D
9/10/2012, 02:53 PM
It wouldn't be too difficult, but certainly noticeable. If it did happen, it'd be really hard for a ref not to notice. At that point, it'd be a personal foul. About the only time you see a player pulling a helmet off is on a high tackle or when linemen are engaged. In both cases, a helmet coming off would almost always result in a penalty (face-mask or hands to the face). We probably won't see as many helmets popping off as a result of a big hit as we used to. Players are going to have to buckle up all their straps now.

It's still going to take a few weeks before it goes this way. There were still a handful of occasions this past weekend where an opposing player pulled off an offensive player's helmet and it wasn't a penalty against the D and the player had to go to the sideline for a play. The most obvious being when Michigan LB Jake Ryan pulled the AFA QB's helmet off during a drive that resulted in the QB having to sit out a play that was still pretty key in the scheme of the game.

FtwTxSooner
9/10/2012, 03:03 PM
Now, something needs to be done with all of the flopping to fake an injury, slowing down an opponents offense.

MsProudSooner
9/10/2012, 03:52 PM
Now, something needs to be done with all of the flopping to fake an injury, slowing down an opponents offense.

I still think this could be fixed by saying if the game is stopped due to an injury, the 'injured' player can't during that possession.

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 04:05 PM
Master Blaster got his helmet knocked off but The Road Warrior spared him. Even then....he realized how in love the guy on his shoulders was with him.

Its like when there are two guys running a Sports Board and The Road Warrior f*cks their S*it all up.

Helmets are a must for even Vince Young. Even though there's nothing above the shoulders to protect....Texas is a part of the Union and the Alamo is a nice Historical Monument that really is a good reminder that even Texans make mistakes.

8timechamps
9/10/2012, 04:57 PM
It's still going to take a few weeks before it goes this way. There were still a handful of occasions this past weekend where an opposing player pulled off an offensive player's helmet and it wasn't a penalty against the D and the player had to go to the sideline for a play. The most obvious being when Michigan LB Jake Ryan pulled the AFA QB's helmet off during a drive that resulted in the QB having to sit out a play that was still pretty key in the scheme of the game.

I was watching that game when that happened. I was mildly surprised there wasn't a penalty called on that play. He could have stayed in the game since his helmet was pulled off, but I think he was a little shaken up and sat back down on the turf.

MountainOkie
9/10/2012, 06:18 PM
I think it is mainly to combat the "loose helmet syndrome" that many players have nowadays. Helmets should not be coming off their heads, they have adjustable, custom fitted helmets these days at most levels, even my 9 y.o. nephew has a helmet "fitted". Back when most of us played we pulled a helmet out of a bin and found the one that fit the best, we made sure the chin strap was tight and I don't recall helmets flying off back then (30+ years ago) at any level of play like they do now. It's just one of those rules that came about because players won't wear their equipment correctly, like how many NFL players now do not wear the thigh and knee pads to the point the NFL is instituting a rule next season where they are required safety equipment. Sometimes players don't do what they should.

Seriously? The NCAA is trying to protect adults from themselves with this rule?

Also the bolded language strikes me as a little creepy. Care to elaborate and assuage the creepiness?

soonerinabilene
9/10/2012, 06:26 PM
Master Blaster got his helmet knocked off but The Road Warrior spared him. Even then....he realized how in love the guy on his shoulders was with him.

Its like when there are two guys running a Sports Board and The Road Warrior f*cks their S*it all up.

Helmets are a must for even Vince Young. Even though there's nothing above the shoulders to protect....Texas is a part of the Union and the Alamo is a nice Historical Monument that really is a good reminder that even Texans make mistakes.

What the f@ck does this even mean?

FirstandGoal
9/10/2012, 07:06 PM
It's surprisingly a pretty complex rule. Basically, if the ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play is whistled dead. If it's anyone else, the play will continue. In either case, the player must leave the field on the next play (unless the player's helmet was pulled off by another player). The player (non ball carrier) that loses his helmet during the play cannot block or tackle.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was thinking this was what the rule was, but because its so new and never really was explained well I wasn't for sure.

****. Just when I thought I understood the rule now I see where the rules change if there's less than a minute in the game? But only if the OFFENSIVE player loses the helmet? I was thinking the rule was put in place more to keep the defensive guys from pulling theirs off to slow the game down. :confused:

8timechamps
9/10/2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for clearing this up. I was thinking this was what the rule was, but because its so new and never really was explained well I wasn't for sure.

****. Just when I thought I understood the rule now I see where the rules change if there's less than a minute in the game? But only if the OFFENSIVE player loses the helmet? I was thinking the rule was put in place more to keep the defensive guys from pulling theirs off to slow the game down. :confused:

Yeah, it's a lot more complex than just leaving the field. To clarify, the same rule applies to a defensive player in the last 1:00 of the game. I was just clarifying that if it happens to an offensive player, there is an automatic 10 second run-off of the clock. I think it's to keep from using it as a clock-stopping event.

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 07:43 PM
What the f@ck does this even mean?

Whatever you want it to mean...ROTF

I think it's better than letting them wear leather helmets however....:D

StoopTroup
9/10/2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah, it's a lot more complex than just leaving the field. To clarify, the same rule applies to a defensive player in the last 1:00 of the game. I was just clarifying that if it happens to an offensive player, there is an automatic 10 second run-off of the clock. I think it's to keep from using it as a clock-stopping event.

Kevlar chinstraps attached to the helmet with a hasp and a titanium padlock?

We may need to invent a way to keep the Defenses from trying to screw us in the last minute of the game? :D