PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa killin Tulane

StoopTroup
9/8/2012, 12:32 PM
2:30 to go in the 2nd Quarter
35-3

okiewaker
9/8/2012, 12:56 PM
One of the Tulsa players was obviously badly injured,,,,stretcher, neck and spine were mobilized, and ambulance carted him away. hope he's okay. I missed the play where he was injured.

StoopTroup
9/8/2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah it's been 20 minutes they have been working on him.

Prayers for the young man.

okiewaker
9/8/2012, 01:03 PM
It was a Tulane player. Sorry!

StoopTroup
9/8/2012, 01:04 PM
Nice prayer by the Stadium announcer. He sounded either upset or really hammered.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2012, 01:17 PM
apparently he stopped breathing and they revived him with CPR...weird deal - but prayers that young kid makes it

badger
9/8/2012, 01:19 PM
it is scary beyond scary to see a player suspend his arms in the air after taking a hit. hope he's all right! :(

StoopTroup
9/8/2012, 01:30 PM
Obviously my thread title wasn't meant to mean they were literally killing Tulane.

okiewaker
9/8/2012, 02:48 PM
Wow,,,,this kid will need lots of prayers.

JLMSOONER
9/8/2012, 02:52 PM
Any updates on Devon?

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2012, 03:01 PM
apparently he stopped breathing and they revived him with CPR...weird deal - but prayers that young kid makes it

Not to be a medical policeman or anything, but they didn't do CPR on him. He had a heartbeat still. So they did emergency breathing on him.

My prayers go to the young man and hope he fully recovers and is able to at least grace his teams sidelines in the near future.

Latest reports are he is in hospital in stable condition. So he should be fine. He will likely be in hospital for a day or two forthe medical staff to observe him.

soonerinabilene
9/8/2012, 03:01 PM
Broken neck, collapsed lung, still in trauma center at St Francis, per ESPN. He was revived on the field.

okiewaker
9/8/2012, 03:22 PM
Had to perform a tracheotomy on the field to get him going.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2012, 03:27 PM
Wow. Vastly different than what I heard.

Dear God, be with this kid and his family and team!!

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2012, 03:44 PM
Not to be a medical policeman or anything, but they didn't do CPR on him. He had a heartbeat still. So they did emergency breathing on him.

My prayers go to the young man and hope he fully recovers and is able to at least grace his teams sidelines in the near future.

Latest reports are he is in hospital in stable condition. So he should be fine. He will likely be in hospital for a day or two forthe medical staff to observe him.

i wasnt actually on the field so i was only repeating what i read - that they performed CPR on him

cleller
9/8/2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the updates everyone.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2012, 03:49 PM
just sayin

According to the Johns Hopkins Hospital's website, an injury to the neck at the first and second vertebrae in the spinal column -- and especially lower in the third through fifth vertebrae -- can affect respiratory muscles and the ability to breathe.

The injury occurred on the last play of the first half. Walker had a helmet-to-helmet collision with teammate Julius Warmsley while trying to tackle Tulsa back Willie Carter. Walker then rolled on his back and didn't move.

FOX reported he stopped breathing when emergency medical workers removed his jersey and shoulder pads. The network said workers administered CPR and put in an IV before Walker began breathing again.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8352006/tulane-safety-devon-walker-hospitalized-suffered-broken-neck-collapsed-lung-hit

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is a lifesaving technique useful in many emergencies, including heart attack or near drowning, in which someone's breathing or heartbeat has stopped. The American Heart Association recommends that everyone — untrained bystanders and medical personnel alike — begin CPR with chest compressions.

olevetonahill
9/8/2012, 04:02 PM
just sayin

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8352006/tulane-safety-devon-walker-hospitalized-suffered-broken-neck-collapsed-lung-hit

Thats what I heard JK
We prolly wont know the extent till late tonight or tomorrow
Prayers for the young man and his family

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2012, 04:02 PM
just sayin

Trust me when I say this. CPR has changed dramatically the last two years.

Hell in Oct. of 2010 I renewed my advanced CPR for health professionals. Two months later I had to go back and take it again because they completely changed it.

Emergency Breathing is part of CPR but at the same time CPR also including getting blood to flow through the body.

If the heart is beating, but a person isn't breathing, they administer emergency breathing.

And when I first heard what happened, I heard he still had a heartbeat, so they administered emergency breathing.

I know it is a minute when talking about what happened to the young man, and I sincerely hope the kid gets healthy and overcomes this.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2012, 04:03 PM
any chance for an internet argument!

rock on!

picasso
9/8/2012, 04:04 PM
Yes it has. My wife has had to take a class each of the last few years.

Hope the kid gets better.

8timechamps
9/8/2012, 04:11 PM
The hit didn't look bad at all, must have been the angle they collided. I pray that the kid makes it through the night, he's got a lot ahead of him.

jk the sooner fan
9/8/2012, 04:12 PM
The hit didn't look bad at all, must have been the angle they collided. I pray that the kid makes it through the night, he's got a lot ahead of him.

yeah we said the same thing here - didnt seem bad enough to cause all that - weird..

olevetonahill
9/8/2012, 04:16 PM
yeah we said the same thing here - didnt seem bad enough to cause all that - weird..

Hell bro, YOU know it dont take that much to snap a neck
Still praying for the young man

cleller
9/8/2012, 04:18 PM

Tragic how that happens sometimes. I can imagine the neck injury, but not the lung, unless it was a bone fragment or something. Regardless, hate for it to happen to anyone.

OU_Sooners75
9/8/2012, 04:19 PM
any chance for an internet argument!

rock on!

I just know CPR isn't what I thought they did when the first reports came out about what happened.

I also know they do not just start CPR with a heart beat.

That's all I'm saying on this. I hope and pray the young man and his family are all okay and he gets well soon.

IMO this thread doesn't warrant any type of arguing. Sorry if you took it that way.

8timechamps
9/8/2012, 04:19 PM
Hell bro, YOU know it dont take that much to snap a neck
Still praying for the young man

That's the scary part, it doesn't take much.

The first time I saw the play, I thought it was the kid that initially made the hit. Very weird.

8timechamps
9/8/2012, 04:40 PM
Saw this small article about the injured player, thought I'd share:

Devon Walker is truly one of the most special student athletes that should be heralded more. He was a walk on player and determined to study at Tulane, he turned down FCS scholarships offers. He paid for continuing ed classes at Tulane while he waited for a Tulane football scholarship to open up. He is a senior in Cell and Molecular Biology, not a small feat and has been helping two of his friends through courses. The three of them always take classes together and they are lovingly considered a "trio" by the biology department administrator. In one class, his professor said that Devon helped another player who was ahead of him on the depth chart, pass the class. Devon deserves everybody's admiration for his relentless work ethic, his loyalty and his spirit.