PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a clothesline?

cleller
9/5/2012, 03:38 PM
We've got a clothesline, and use it all the time. I've wondered how many people actually use one these days. On a day like this, the clothes just as fast, or faster than in a dryer. I put some stuff out there on the 114 degree day, everything was dry in 20 minutes. They still sell cheap ones at Home Depot, etc. Not as good as the old welded pipe jobs, but they get the job done.

We do go back to the dryer most of the time in the winter, but also have a rack in the bathroom for certain things.

I found a website where you can calculate how much running the dryer costs you.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 03:49 PM
I dont wear clothes very often so I dont need one

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 04:11 PM
they're always nice and crispy when you dry them on the line.....

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2012, 04:42 PM
This is an unimaginable horror. Isn't the object to make sure the clothes are still clean after you dry them?

cleller
9/5/2012, 04:49 PM
This is an unimaginable horror. Isn't the object to make sure the clothes are still clean after you dry them?

How dirty can something get hanging on the line an hour or two? The tradeoff is worth it. It also builds immunity.

Didn't you ever play between the sheets on the line as a kid? (be the first to fire off a "between the sheets" line)

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2012, 04:52 PM
How dirty can something get hanging on the line an hour or two? The tradeoff is worth it. It also builds immunity.

Didn't you ever play between the sheets on the line as a kid? (be the first to fire off a "between the sheets" line)
No. I'm old but not old enough that we ever had a clothes line.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 04:54 PM
the difference in the smell and feel of clothes dried on the line

no thanks.....my mother in law uses it for her towels....it's like drying off with a big bag of leaves

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 05:14 PM
My mom always used a clothes line in the spring/summer. They always had that "crispy" feel to them, but I thought they smelled better. I suspect cloths line use had declined as our society has become one of convenience.

Lott's Bandana
9/5/2012, 06:27 PM
My mom always used a clothes line in the spring/summer. They always had that "crispy" feel to them, but I thought they smelled better. I suspect cloths line use had declined as our society has become one of convenience.

It is common to outlaw them in any stereotypical suburban Homeowner's Association.

Eyesore vs. Environment

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 07:58 PM
It is common to outlaw them in any stereotypical suburban Homeowner's Association.

Eyesore vs. Environment

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen one in years.

When I was a kid, my brother almost decapitated himself while chasing me on his bike in our backyard. I ran under the clothesline, and I guess he didn't realize it was about neck-high. The good old days.

cleller
9/5/2012, 09:01 PM

Eyesore vs. Environment

Funny when you think about it. They probably have lattes and talk about green energy, mandatory recycling, but outlaw clotheslines.

The ones that had wire for the line could really mess you up.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 09:29 PM
lattes and green tea dont diminish home values

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2012, 09:30 PM
I use a dryer for socks, underwear, sheets and towels.

I use my clothesline for everything else. I luv it.

5-0

sooneron
9/5/2012, 10:01 PM
My somewhat elderly neighbor still uses hers all the time (sans sub 50 deg.). I still remember my grandmother had the double line on the old t posts on her backyard in B'ville. Yep, those things were deadly in a game of freeze tag.

MsProudSooner
9/5/2012, 11:23 PM
This thread reminded me of a former neighbor who used to wash her dishes by hand and then stack them in the dishwasher to dry.....

proud gonzo
9/6/2012, 12:11 PM
I am highly allergic to every tree, grass, flower, mold that exists. (This is not an exaggeration.) So you're asking, do I take my clean, damp clothes outside so that every pollen and allergen imaginable can stick to them as they dry? **** no.

MamaMia
9/6/2012, 12:14 PM
I use to have a clothes line until we built the awning over the patio part of the veranda. After all the remodeling, it has round columns now so I don't know if my pull out clothes line would stay up. I do miss drying my sheets on the line.

Turd_Ferguson
9/6/2012, 01:22 PM
There is nothing like a good fitting pair of jeans that's been dried on the line...

reflector
9/6/2012, 01:34 PM
I can honestly say that I do not use a clothesline.

olevetonahill
9/6/2012, 01:55 PM
I do all the time
http://content.bored.com/photos/pupp39.jpg

Sooner_Bob
9/6/2012, 01:58 PM
I used to just about get clotheslined by my Grandma's clothesline . . . . you really had to pay attention playing hide and seek in the dark.

IB4OU2
9/6/2012, 02:04 PM
Ever drive through Amish Country on Laundry Day? They have their clothes strung on line and pulley from their house to the barn. You've never seen so many petalooms (sp?) and longhandles in your life. :D

Breadburner
9/7/2012, 02:18 AM
No. I'm old but not old enough that we ever had a clothes line.

We could hang you out on the line to get you dry behind the ears.....

olevetonahill
9/7/2012, 04:32 AM
We could hang you out on the line to get you dry behind the ears.....

We'd need to wring him out 1st

Chuck Bao
9/7/2012, 05:00 AM
Strangely enough, I came close to destroying my mom's clothes line last week. Her lawnmower has a roll bar, which I hadn't factored in when I mowed her lawn.

I have no love lost on clothes lines anyway since I could have been decapitated from a run away horse when I was just a kid.

Mississippi Sooner
9/7/2012, 09:43 AM
I used to just about get clotheslined by my Grandma's clothesline . . . . you really had to pay attention playing hide and seek in the dark.

We had the same issue with the clothesline at my grandmother's house. What made it worse was that the line ran parallel to the field where we had our neighborhood football games. You had to really pay attention when running down that particular sideline.

C&CDean
9/7/2012, 11:45 AM
The very first thing I built for momma when we moved to the country was a world-class clothesline. 3-inch steel pipe welded into T-bars, 6 steel cables with adjustable ratchets at the end of each cable, and a rain gauge on each T-bar.

She wouldn't be without one, and frankly, neither would I. Sheets and pillow cases dried in the country sun? Nothing like the feel/smell. She doesn't put everything out there (she dries t-shirts, underwear, etc. in the dryer), but most of our clothes go out there during the summer. And a nice warm crispy towel right off the line is the absolute shiz. I hate a soft, fluffy, damp towel. I can dry off and scratch my back at the same time.

cleller
9/7/2012, 04:03 PM
The very first thing I built for momma when we moved to the country was a world-class clothesline. 3-inch steel pipe welded into T-bars, 6 steel cables with adjustable ratchets at the end of each cable, and a rain gauge on each T-bar.

She wouldn't be without one, and frankly, neither would I. Sheets and pillow cases dried in the country sun? Nothing like the feel/smell. She doesn't put everything out there (she dries t-shirts, underwear, etc. in the dryer), but most of our clothes go out there during the summer. And a nice warm crispy towel right off the line is the absolute shiz. I hate a soft, fluffy, damp towel. I can dry off and scratch my back at the same time.

Sounds like you're ready for my favorite, the outdoor shower. I've got a plastic barrel with a faucet it in. They sell them at Atwoods off and on. I painted it black and mounted it up on a crude 2x4 frame. Put water in with a hose. The pressure is not great, but its easy, free, and quick. Sometimes the water gets so hot that I have to run some cold water in there before I can use it.

Flagstaffsooner
9/7/2012, 06:57 PM
Does the shower rod count?

KantoSooner
9/11/2012, 11:50 AM
I had clothes lines the whole timie I lived in Asia. It was easy, quick and I never noticed any lack of cleanliness.
It does kind of make zero sense to pay attention to energy use whatsoever when you're drying your clothes in a massively inefficient heating drum. I mean, serioiusly, just go ahead and open your windows with the AC on.