PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffin Pulls Walk Ons Scholarhip and Gives it to a Convicted Felon

HToady
9/5/2012, 01:36 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/lane_kiffin_pulled_walk_ons_scholarship_to_make_ro om_for_linebacker_recently_released_from_jail/11624041?linksrc=home_rg_head_11624041

I had to shower after reading this......I hate this guy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2012, 01:42 PM
Endearing!

Flagstaffsooner
9/5/2012, 01:51 PM
In the end, I bet Lane Kiffin will make Pete Carroll look like a saint. What a garbage program.

badger
9/5/2012, 01:53 PM
How big of a blow is that? Tuition per semester at USC is more than $21,000. (http://www.usc.edu/academics/classes/term_20121/tuition_and_fees.html). As any Sooner knows, tuition doesn't cover fees, which at USC, will add another $1500-$2000 (follow the same link). That doesn't include campus parking (up to $400), lab fees (up to $500), or something called "special subject examination ($710). Plus, scholarship athletes have other stuff covered, like their dorm, their books and their meals.

The guy took the high road, said that Kiffin had been honest about it in saying that the scholarship was not a guarantee even if he had one last year. However, I have heard other versions of where his scholarship disappeared. Seems that another walk-on might have gotten it. (http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/14036/negrete-on-his-long-awaited-scholarship)

85sooners
9/5/2012, 02:52 PM
Phuck kiffin in his dirty a

BigJerm7
9/5/2012, 02:56 PM
If that doesn't want to make a kid walk on at SC I don't know what would.

BillyBall
9/5/2012, 02:57 PM
Classy.

toast
9/5/2012, 04:48 PM
Walk-on should have went to prison first and helped his chances to keep the scholly.

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 04:58 PM
Can't stand Kiffin, but this really doesn't strike me as dirty or wrong. Sucks for the walk-on, but given scholarship limits where they are and USC already having to be selective with theirs (due to sanctions), Kiffin is doing what he's paid to do.

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2012, 07:31 PM
Can't stand Kiffin, but this really doesn't strike me as dirty or wrong. Sucks for the walk-on, but given scholarship limits where they are and USC already having to be selective with theirs (due to sanctions), Kiffin is doing what he's paid to do.

Their current limit situation is a red herring. All coaches feel that scholarships are tight and only give them to walk-ons if they earn it. I suspect the same thing would have happened w/o the sanctions in place.

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 07:53 PM
Their current limit situation is a red herring. All coaches feel that scholarships are tight and only give them to walk-ons if they earn it. I suspect the same thing would have happened w/o the sanctions in place.

Not sure how their current scholarship limit can be considered a red herring. While I agree that this probably would have happened anyway, their current limit puts addition pressure on Kiffin to make sure every player on scholarship is the best he can get.

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2012, 12:23 AM
Not sure how their current scholarship limit can be considered a red herring. While I agree that this probably would have happened anyway, their current limit puts addition pressure on Kiffin to make sure every player on scholarship is the best he can get.

If Kiffen were to keep the scholarship with the guy that walked on based on principle, he would have done it regardless of having 75 or 85 schollies. There was no such principle in effect here and Kiffen as much as stated that. If there were 85 guys with schollies when the jail bird was freed, the lowest guy on the pecking order was not going to be renewed.

HToady
9/6/2012, 11:26 AM
Or he could have told the jailbird he would have to earn his way back on instead. That would seem fair and reasonable.

MamaMia
9/6/2012, 12:48 PM
Stoops would not have done that.

8timechamps
9/6/2012, 03:02 PM
If Kiffen were to keep the scholarship with the guy that walked on based on principle, he would have done it regardless of having 75 or 85 schollies. There was no such principle in effect here and Kiffen as much as stated that. If there were 85 guys with schollies when the jail bird was freed, the lowest guy on the pecking order was not going to be renewed.

I agree with that, except in this case (and last year) Kiffin can't afford to keep the less talented players on scholly if he wants to make a serious run at a title. As for what Kiffin says, well I don't put too much faith in that.

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2012, 03:40 PM
I agree with that, except in this case (and last year) Kiffin can't afford to keep the less talented players on scholly if he wants to make a serious run at a title. As for what Kiffin says, well I don't put too much faith in that.

Sure, there is more pressure, but men of principle do things they can't afford to do rather than go against the principle. I'm just saying that was not a factor here.

FaninAma
9/6/2012, 03:43 PM

Translated: Kiffin can't afford to act like he has any principles or integrity by following through on a committment. Gotcha. Principles are just things you adhere to when it's convenient to do so. I am sure in our modern day culture that is probably closer to the norm.

8timechamps
9/6/2012, 07:12 PM
Translated: Kiffin can't afford to act like he has any principles or integrity by following through on a committment. Gotcha. Principles are just things you adhere to when it's convenient to do so. I am sure in our modern day culture that is probably closer to the norm.

C'mon, you know college football is a big business, and this kind of thing happens far more often than not.

I'm not saying it was the right thing to do morally, or that Stoops would do it (because he wouldn't, and I think we all know that), I'm just explaining why I think he did it.

8timechamps
9/6/2012, 07:13 PM
Sure, there is more pressure, but men of principle do things they can't afford to do rather than go against the principle. I'm just saying that was not a factor here.

See my reply above.

I think Kiffin proved a while back that he isn't a man of principle.

Jacie
9/6/2012, 07:53 PM
How big of a blow is that? Tuition per semester at USC is more than $21,000. As any Sooner knows, tuition doesn't cover fees, which at USC, will add another $1500-$2000. That doesn't include campus parking (up to $400), lab fees (up to $500), or something called "special subject examination ($710).

Oh boy! Youngest daughter starts at USC this fall (PhD program, supposed to be one of the best in the country for her field).

badger
9/6/2012, 08:24 PM
Those are undergrad figures... but i think doctorate program figures up there as well.

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2012, 08:58 PM
A friend of mine's son was accepted to USC and his dad asked him "do you know it will cost about $50k a year for you to attend?".

The son's reply "$50k doesn't mean anything to me". He wasn't being smart-alec - it was just numbers dad throws around to him.

He attended USC (on dad's bank account).

SoonerLB
9/7/2012, 07:33 PM
You'd think at those prices the school would show a little more class . . . . . . . . . . , ah . . . , who am I kiddin'? :)

SoonerJLB
9/7/2012, 08:09 PM
My daughter goes to USC and it is easily $65,000 or more a year for tution, books, apartment right by campus that she shares with 4 girls & Sorority Dues.

SoonerJLB
9/7/2012, 08:14 PM
How big of a blow is that? Tuition per semester at USC is more than $21,000. (http://www.usc.edu/academics/classes/term_20121/tuition_and_fees.html). As any Sooner knows, tuition doesn't cover fees, which at USC, will add another $1500-$2000 (follow the same link). That doesn't include campus parking (up to $400), lab fees (up to $500), or something called "special subject examination ($710). Plus, scholarship athletes have other stuff covered, like their dorm, their books and their meals.

The guy took the high road, said that Kiffin had been honest about it in saying that the scholarship was not a guarantee even if he had one last year. However, I have heard other versions of where his scholarship disappeared. Seems that another walk-on might have gotten it. (http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/14036/negrete-on-his-long-awaited-scholarship)

Oh yeah...The $65000 doesnt cover the parking fees which can be anywhere from $150 per month at Gateway Apts, Shrine $300 per Semester but full...fortunately she is a sophmore and doesn't have her car yet at Campus.

SoonerJLB
9/7/2012, 08:19 PM
You'd think at those prices the school would show a little more class . . . . . . . . . . , ah . . . , who am I kiddin'? :)

USC is very classy from the minute you meet with Advisors to do a Campus Tour to the Acceptance to Orientation to the fact that 70% of graduating Seniors have jobs before they graduate.. however I am not sure about Lane Kiffin yet but the University of Southern California is a top tier University.

8timechamps
9/7/2012, 09:25 PM
USC is very classy from the minute you meet with Advisors to do a Campus Tour to the Acceptance to Orientation to the fact that 70% of graduating Seniors have jobs before they graduate.. however I am not sure about Lane Kiffin yet but the University of Southern California is a top tier University.

I think anyone would be proud to have a degree from USC, as it's one of the best schools in the country. That said, their football coach is a slimeball.

Memtig14
9/7/2012, 09:42 PM
Kiffin is trash......no argument there. But blame the ncaa who changed the rule from 4 year scholarships to 1 year. If the ncaa's purpose is to protect the student athlete (which they say it is) then this change makes no sense as I can see no reason this change was ever made.

8timechamps
9/7/2012, 09:58 PM
Kiffin is trash......no argument there. But blame the ncaa who changed the rule from 4 year scholarships to 1 year. If the ncaa's purpose is to protect the student athlete (which they say it is) then this change makes no sense as I can see no reason this change was ever made.

Wasn't there some talk over the past couple of years about making scholarships 4 year contracts? Seems like it was close to being adopted, then it got swatted down.

Memtig14
9/7/2012, 11:16 PM
Wasn't there some talk over the past couple of years about making scholarships 4 year contracts? Seems like it was close to being adopted, then it got swatted down.

Hadn't heard that. I think they should change it back. I have never agree with that rule.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2012, 12:33 AM

I thought they watered it down to make it some sort of optional thing to make it multi-year.

EDIT: link (http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-02-17/multiyear-scholarships-be-allowed)

usmc-sooner
9/8/2012, 10:16 AM
Didn't read the article but how do you pull a scholly from a walk on. Walk on means they are n ot scholarship players.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2012, 10:57 AM
Didn't read the article but how do you pull a scholly from a walk on. Walk on means they are n ot scholarship players.

Walk-on --> scholarship --> walk-on to make room for jail-bird