PDA

View Full Version : A sincere question for those supporting Obama

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 06:46 AM
Please leave all the Political rhetoric out, I wont debate or even pop off any jokes . I sincerely want to know why you think he is the best man for this job, Not why hes better than Romney, simply WHY you think he is the man over any and all others

Those on the right Please dont junk this up ok? I really am curious.

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2012, 08:03 AM
1. Under his watch bin laden is dead.

2. Under his watch we got out of Iraq.

3. Under his watch the job loss freefall turned around. Not like I wished it would have but job losses stopped. We're gaining jobs.

4. People that couldn't get healthcare now can. People were losing their houses to pay off health bills. People were being denied healthcare because of preexisting conditions. Presidents including Republicans, since Teddy Roosevelt have been trying for some kind of health reform. Romney did it on a State level. Obama took the model and made it a National Model. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.

5. Romney simply can't be trusted. I've never liked his slash and burn style. Student loans? Forget it ! Go ask your parents ! "I don't care about the poor". "I don't recall what I said but I stand by it, whatever it was." He also signed a permanent ban on assault weapons. I also hate his fake style. Those designer jeans. C'mon ! Get some Levis or Wranglers. "Cheeey grits". The guys presents himself as a TV evangelist who also sells used cars. To me, it's the lesser of two evils. With Obama I now know where he's at. Romney is a loose cannon who's flipped on every issue from gun control, to healthcare to freedom of choice. He holds no morals.

6. Despite the effort to paint me a Lib, I'm actually a Moderate. Have been for more than 30 years. What I want is for both sides to work together toward a common good. With Norquist and Rove and the Kochs deciding everthing I won't see any 'reaching across the aisle' with Romney.

That's my 'off the top of my head' rant. Asked and answered. Sorry if I had to ecplain the 'better than Romney' part but it factors into the equation. One of then will be the next President and you asked why Obama is the man over all others, meaning Romney. I wish there was another alternative but there isn't. We're stuck with these two.

5-0

badger
9/5/2012, 08:09 AM
1. Under his watch bin laden is dead.

2. Under his watch we got out of Iraq.

3. Under his watch the job loss freefall turned around. Not like I wished it would have but job losses stopped. We're gaining jobs.

4. People that couldn't get healthcare now can. People were losing their houses to pay off health bills. People were being denied healthcare because of preexisting conditions. Presidents including Republicans, since Teddy Roosevelt have been trying for some kind of health reform. Romney did it on a State level. Obama took the model and made it a National Model. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.

5. Romney simply can't be trusted. I've never liked his slash and burn style. Student loans? Forget it ! Go ask your parents ! "I don't care about the poor". "I don't recall what I said but I stand by it, whatever it was." He also signed a permanent ban on assault weapons. I also hate his fake style. Those designer jeans. C'mon ! Get some Levis or Wranglers. "Cheeey grits". The guys presents himself as a TV evangelist who also sells used cars. To me, it's the lesser of two evils. With Obama I now know where he's at. Romney is a loose cannon who's flipped on every issue from gun control, to healthcare to freedom of choice. He holds no morals.

6. Despite the effort to paint me a Lib, I'm actually a Moderate. Have been for more than 30 years. What I want is for both sides to work together toward a common good. With Norquist and Rove and the Kochs deciding everthing I won't see any 'reaching across the aisle' with Romney.

That's my 'off the top of my head' rant. Asked and answered. Sorry if I had to ecplain the 'better than Romney' part but it factors into the equation. One of then will be the next President and you asked why Obama is the man over all others, meaning Romney. I wish there was another alternative but there isn't. We're stuck with these two.

5-0

Those are all good reasons... although I wish that our country wasn't a two-party system where you vote because "I don't trust the other guy" :(

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 08:17 AM
Okay, Vet, the silence is deafening...I'll give my two cents..

Because of what he did, or tried to do, when he took office. He pulled
us back as a country from a deep depression. He did things not politically
popular, because they were needed and the right thing to do. He focused
on health care for the masses and put things in place, because they were
needed and the right thing to do. He looked to get all to pay a fair share,
because it was/is needed and the right thing to do. Now, he has identified
what he thinks is the correct course to keep going forward and not return to
what many believe put us where we are now. It is a slow hard path but
his viewpoint fits what I think should be done.

If there is someone else who can or could do it better, I'd sure listen closely,
but I haven't seen or heard of anyone thus far.:courage:

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 08:23 AM
5-0 was a little more direct than I was, but I agree. And Badg has
a good point about two party stuff...only issue I have with that is
you'd wind up so disjointed as a governing body that there would
less accomplished than what we have now (if that was possible.)

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 08:30 AM
Sigh,
Come on peeps , Dont want debate or like I said the rhetoric
What is the IT factor about him that makes you want HIM as a PERSON
Most of Yall wanted him in 08 so go back to that point if you must.

yermom
9/5/2012, 08:34 AM
08 and now are totally different.

sadly, your question is irrelevant. it doesn't matter. it's him or Romney, and Romney sucks.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 08:35 AM
I give up
yall are ****in idiots:texan:

Midtowner
9/5/2012, 08:37 AM
1) The Republican Party needs to be put in its place. I'm a long-time Republican (but definitely a moderate one). I can't abide how the Party has shifted so hard to the right, has distorted history to justify it (Reagan's record, par example) and simply will not negotiate.

2) The Republican Party is irresponsible. Where were the adults in the Party when it came time to raise the debt ceiling? That stupid political gesture cost us billions in interest from having our AAA credit rating lowered.

3) Social issues. I side with the Dems on all of the social issues and am probably further to the edge of the libertarian spectrum for most of those.

4) I consider Obama and Romney to basically be the same thing. I also have a sense that there are a lot of wealthy folks trying to buy this election for Romney. I hope Obama wins. This will send a signal that unlimited money =/= ballot box success--you have to have good ideas and be genuine. Romney is anything but genuine.

5) Healthcare. I don't like what we have, but it's sure as hell better than the Republican's non-existent alternative.

6) Tax policy--the taxes on the wealthy need to go up (and spending needs to go down) if we can hope to solve this crisis. Sure, the Dems need to offer something better than a back-loaded entitlement cut 10 years down the road, but at least they were willing to offer something. I see both parties as being unreasonable here with a slight edge to the GOP.

7) Anti union policies. I'm not union, but I believe in free speech and the free markets, which unions are a part of. They allow labor to have a seat at the table and not just be a bunch of serfs. Recent GOP union busting efforts are pretty disgusting.

8) Experience.

9) Obama's foreign policy has been really top notch.

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 08:43 AM
Sigh,
Come on peeps , Dont want debate or like I said the rhetoric
What is the IT factor about him that makes you want HIM as a PERSON
Most of Yall wanted him in 08 so go back to that point if you must.

Well, Vet, in 08 he put forth the ideas that I agreed with (He wasn't my
first choice). Over the years in every presidential election the IT factor for
me has been the ideas that a candidate puts out front to fix what ails us.
I liked Ike and Gerald Ford, dint trust Reagan and was glad that LBJ chose
not to run again. Nixon proved me correct, Carter fooled me (but was
well intended). Kennedy was REALLY my guy, so was Clinton, although
he embarrased a lot of people. Obama's IT factor for me is what he says
he wants to do and how he wants to do it. Without getting into rhetoric
rant, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 08:46 AM
Well, Vet, in 08 he put forth the ideas that I agreed with (He wasn't my
first choice). Over the years in every presidential election the IT factor for
me has been the ideas that a candidate puts out front to fix what ails us.
I liked Ike and Gerald Ford, dint trust Reagan and was glad that LBJ chose
not to run again. Nixon proved me correct, Carter fooled me (but was
well intended). Kennedy was REALLY my guy, so was Clinton, although
he embarrased a lot of people. Obama's IT factor for me is what he says
he wants to do and how he wants to do it. Without getting into rhetoric
rant, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thank you. I always knew you had some common sense

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 08:52 AM
Thank you. I always knew you had some common sense

You're welcome, although rhetoric rant is kinda fun:biggrin:

FaninAma
9/5/2012, 09:14 AM
I am not an Obama supporter by any means but I will have to agree with those who state his foreign policy is much superior to to the neocon cluster**ck.

His policies on the economy are essentially the same except he spends money on different things and at a faster rate.

yermom
9/5/2012, 09:15 AM
I give up
yall are ****in idiots:texan:

to be fair, i don't exactly support Obama

okie52
9/5/2012, 09:24 AM
Ahh Vet. It's a shame you are keeping the righties out....it would be like target practice.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 09:36 AM
Ahh Vet. It's a shame you are keeping the righties out....it would be like target practice.

Hell go for it Bro
I really wanted to know what it was about Him as a Man that caused them to want him as Pres. seems most of em are incapable of following simple requests

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 09:42 AM
Bush's foreign policy might pale in comparison to Obama's, but the morale in the Agency I work for is the worst I've seen since Clinton . . . IMO Obama needs to do a better job at selecting some of his cabinet position and Agency directors.

I'm not completely sold on Romney either . . . . I actually wish Gary Johnson would get more play.

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 09:50 AM
Morale under Clinton was actually very good . . . .

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2012, 10:44 AM
to be fair, i don't exactly support Obama

There's no Obama sticker on my bumper or Obama yard sign in my yard. I'd still like to go to a game or play 3 on 3 with him. He can talk sports. I doubt Romney could name 2 teams in the NFC West.

5-0

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 10:59 AM
There's no Obama sticker on my bumper or Obama yard sign in my yard. I'd still like to go to a game or play 3 on 3 with him. He can talk sports. I doubt Romney could name 2 teams in the NFC West.

5-0

Lots of people have taken them down in embarrasment since the planet hasn't started to heal and the oceans haven't fallen.. Big of you to admit it.

yermom
9/5/2012, 11:09 AM

what is the morale change based on?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2012, 11:11 AM
I give up
yall are ****in idiots:texan:You asked them to make sense. Did you really expect them to convince you Obama is doing good/smart things for the country?

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 11:14 AM

BJs under the desk for everyone!!

TitoMorelli
9/5/2012, 11:32 AM

5-0

Which we all know is infinitely more important than being able to turn around a major business, or save a huge project like the Olympic Games when it is in serious trouble.

Then again, Obama and Michelle took it upon themselves to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago, and the resounding success they achieved was...never mind.

TitoMorelli
9/5/2012, 11:33 AM

I was thinkin' sloppy seconds....

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 11:34 AM
You asked them to make sense. Did you really expect them to convince you Obama is doing good/smart things for the country?

That aint even what I asked. I wanted to know what it was about Him as a man. But they cant get past all the stupid political ****

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 11:37 AM
That aint even what I asked. I wanted to know what it was about Him as a man. But they cant get past all the stupid political ****

Not all of em...

badger
9/5/2012, 11:40 AM
2 teams in the NFC West.

Crap... can I, even after they shuffled them up with expansion a few years ago?

Well, there four teams in each division, so it just comes down to remembering who is in the NFC and who is in the AFC if you want to know who is against who.

Seattle Seahawks! I know they are in the NFC because boo Pete Carroll boo

San Francisco 49ers! They have been dominating lately in the NFC and I assume they're NFC West since they're west coast.

St. Louis Rams! I only know this cuz I was pizzed when Seattle beat out Sammie's Rams for the division and thus, the final playoff spot. Boooooo

After that, I'm stuck. Oakland's AFC I think, as is KC, right? Who else is considered west enough to be NFC West?

3 outta 4 aint bad, right?

Now, ask me to name the NFC North or the former NFC Central and I'll be able to rattle off Green Bay, Chicago, Minny and Detroit (and add Tampa if you're talking Central) in no time :D

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 11:48 AM
Which we all know is infinitely more important than being able to turn around a major business, or save a huge project like the Olympic Games when it is in serious trouble.

Then again, Obama and Michelle took it upon themselves to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago, and the resounding success they achieved was...never mind.

Psst, Romney lobbied for and got 400-600 million from ...wait for it...
wait for it...the federal gov't, who also spent 1.1 billion on infrastructure
to hep out Romney's Olympics...:biggrin:

TitoMorelli
9/5/2012, 12:17 PM
Psst, Romney lobbied for and got 400-600 million from ...wait for it...
wait for it...the federal gov't, who also spent 1.1 billion on infrastructure
to hep out Romney's Olympics...:biggrin:

And how did Barry and Moochy's lobbying efforts turn out?

SoonerNomad
9/5/2012, 12:21 PM
The Arizona Cardinals are fourth team in the NFC West Badger, but you probably knew that or could have figured that out. What is interesting is they spent several years (1988 through 2001) in the NFC East after the move out this way back in the late 80's. They actually made the Super Bowl after the 2008 season. I am not a fan, but I live close enough to go down there and catch a game or two every season. And, since I am unwilling to pay for the NFL ticket, I have to live with the putrid NFC West games on my home television every Sunday. Ugh.

As for what I like about President Obama as a man. That is another interesting point. My wife (she's Democrat and I am Republican) likes him because of his policies, but I just like the guy. I like the bravado. I like the competitiveness. Maybe it's because I know he loves sports and participates in sports. I believe he would be fun to have a beer with. To play a pick up game with. And to argue the negatives and positives of your favorite sports team with. I like that kind of guy even when I disagree with him.

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/5/2012, 12:27 PM
He seems like a very personable guy, ie have a beer with, play a game of pickup basketball. He's obviously a good speaker, seems to have a decent sense of humor and far more personality that Romney could ever dream of. Still ain't voting for him, though

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 12:30 PM
what is the morale change based on?

IMO poor leaders were picked which has lead to very poor management . . . .

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 12:31 PM

Not from anyone I work with . . . (shudder).

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 12:49 PM
So its now open season Vet?

Let me first say this. I didnt vote in 2008. I apparently registered to late in the state of Kansas to partake in the General Elections in 2008. But had I got my registration in on time, I would have voted for Obama. I was all about him. I bought into his rhetoric, his "Hope and Change" crap. You can ask my brother if you do not believe me, and I think many can probably vouch here too...but that I don't know.

That said, I did not hesitate to register to vote when I moved back to Oklahoma. As of today I will not vote for Obama. However, Romney has not completely got my attention either. I am one of very few voters that is actually still undecided.

What has turned me away from Obama?

1. His foreign policy has made the US look like a laughing stock (IMO). He tries to appease everyone. He tries to be every leaders friend instead of being the American Leader and shoring up our national interests. Take Israel as example. He tries to be their friend and support them, while trying to be a friend of those that want to wipe them out (sans Iran).

2. His domestic policy is laughable at best. He wants the American people to be so government dependent that the American public will need more government assistance just to survive. Not only that, but his health care package is ridiculous to say the least. He is making it mandatory that I have government insurance even if I do not want it, or if I cannot find affordable insurance on my own.

3. His executive orders are overwhelming. Did you know that he passed an executive order for school meals on the advice of his wife? Everyday my kids come home from school, they are hungry. Not because they are overweight fat slobs, but because they get half of the amount of food they used to get at school. Which was not much to begin with.

Take away soda pop...fine I can live with that, I limit the soft drink intake of my kids anyway.
Instead of getting a protein, vegetable, fruit, drink (milk), and desert, they now get a protein, fruit, and drink (milk). Just the other day my son came home hungry. I asked what he had for lunch. They served him 3 steak fingers, and a piece of cantaloupe and a 8 oz container of milk. Really? you are going to give a growing child that little in an 8 hour stretch? Why? Because President Obama's wife wants kids to eat less at school. While we all know their kids eat like royalty at a private school on the tax payers dime!

4. His economic package is not working. He throws money at the problem, and money isnt the answer. Job creation is the answer. Uneployment rates are still over 8% (for 43 straight months). However, they have dropped. But unemployment rates do not show job creation rates. In July, there was an estimated 163,000 jobs created. In August, there is an estimated 125,000 jobs created (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/04/us-usa-economy-idUSBRE88314J20120904). This is not a very good number. And does not support the drop in unemployment. In fact, many economists think the drop in unemployment rates is due to folks have used up their unemployment allowance over the last 3 years. Since they are no longer able to receive benefits, many will not report their unemployment. Which will lower the rate nationally. If people are not reporting they are unemployed, then the government doesnt know for sure if they are or not.

5. His education plan. Frankly, my opinion is the federal government needs to back out of the education department and allow each state to control it. The US Department of Education needs to be done away with. But as long as it is there, they need to do away with teacher incentives based on testing results. There is plenty of information (studies and what not) that shows not all kids test well. And when teachers are trying to make bonuses based on test results of their students, then they are not really teaching. They are preparing the kids for a test.
Take my daughter as an example. She does not test well. She is not stupid, but very intelligent for her age (9). Her problem is she lacks the ability to stay focused for long periods of time. She has ADHD (and yes she takes meds for it). But every kid regardless if they have ADHD or not start to get restless after a certain amount of time of doing the same task. Anyway, my daughters 3rd grade teacher (last year) was hell bent on making the best testing scores in the school system. And she does. But how much did my daughter really learn? My daughter learned basic stuff, i giver her that. But does she really know the principles of math? Does she understand it? Her testing by the psychologist says not. My daughter knew the answer, but not the principles of things. And I am pretty sure my daughter is not the only one.

6. He is not doing what he promised to ween us from Foreign Dependency of oil and other energy resources. Oil and energy people can tell you (regardless of party affiliation) that the US has plenty of natural resources ranging from Natural Gas to Oil to Coal, that we do not need to use very much foreign resources if any at all. So why doesn't Obama fulfill his promise and open up the oil fields? Why doesnt he give aid to research and develop better automobiles to use natural gas or other fuel alternatives? Instead he wants to give want, $500 Billion or Million to floundering companies like Solyandra!

The guy may be a great human being with great intentions. But so did Jimmy Carter. But lets face it, if he is re-elected he wont change anything. He will stay on course to spend more while cutting less. He will go at business as usual, and he wont care what any one thinks, since he can not run again. And he wont have to worry about campaigning any longer.

Romney may not be any better. I don't know yet, nor am I convinced he is. But I also see a different person with difference philosophies and principles running. And right now, he does have a leg up. Though he as not earned my vote yet.

And to me, a fresh face is better than what we current have.

To summarize what I said....Obama has lied to me...so he has lost my vote at this time!

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 01:07 PM
And how did Barry and Moochy's lobbying efforts turn out?

Sorry, ya lost me, Barry and Moochy?

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 01:10 PM
Not all of em...

I done singled you out as to having some sense

Sorry, ya lost me, Barry and Moochy?

You know Obammy and his wife MOOshell

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 01:17 PM
I done singled you out as to having some sense

You know Obammy and his wife MOOshell

Oh, okay...well, ima guessin that Rio has a better class of bikinis than
ol Broad Shoulders, USA, I know their beach volley ball wimmens is
usually fun ta watch...:distracted:

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 01:20 PM
Based on the economic history of the United States, and based on recent economic developments in Europe, it seems clear to me that the GOP plan would prove disastrous to us economically. If their plan was more like Reagan's, it would be different. But what the Romney-Ryan ticket wants to do is precisely the opposite of Reagan's plan.
You spend when you're in times of economic recession to jump start the economy. Reagan knew this. You work on debt reduction, which is largely debt we owe ourselves, during times of economic growth.
Plus, I think the GOP is too hawkish and spends money on the wrong things.

badger
9/5/2012, 01:29 PM
Oh, okay...well, ima guessin that Rio has a better class of bikinis than
ol Broad Shoulders, USA, I know their beach volley ball wimmens is
usually fun ta watch...:distracted:

Oh yeah, I am looking forward to seeing what Rio can do to calm their violence down long enough to host an Olympics (and before that, a World Cup). Chicago? Pbbbth. Rio? At least it has something unique about it (first South American Olympics host country)

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 01:44 PM
Based on the economic history of the United States, and based on recent economic developments in Europe, it seems clear to me that the GOP plan would prove disastrous to us economically. If their plan was more like Reagan's, it would be different. But what the Romney-Ryan ticket wants to do is precisely the opposite of Reagan's plan.
You spend when you're in times of economic recession to jump start the economy. Reagan knew this. You work on debt reduction, which is largely debt we owe ourselves, during times of economic growth.

How do you know an economic plan 30 years old will work today?

Would the economic plan of the 1940s work today? No!

Economics change over time, and so does the strategies to make it successful.

okie52
9/5/2012, 01:55 PM

5-0

I think you are right. Romney couldn't begin to name as many teams or states as Obama.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 02:15 PM

Economics change over time, and so does the strategies to make it successful.

The plan the GOP wants to implement is proving disastrous in 2012 in Europe. These are general economic principles that have proven to be correct over a large period of time. And besides, as I've pointed out before, the R-R plan INCREASES the deficit. It doesn't reduce the deficit by one red cent.
But what's the point? No one is changing their minds about anything, and wouldn't matter what facts, stats or historical data anyone presented. All anyone will try to do is refute it, not consider it as if it might be correct.

rock on sooner
9/5/2012, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah, I am looking forward to seeing what Rio can do to calm their violence down long enough to host an Olympics (and before that, a World Cup). Chicago? Pbbbth. Rio? At least it has something unique about it (first South American Olympics host country)

They've already started...tearing down ghettos and relocating the residents.
They had a military sweep for prostitutes and they are cracking down on
known criminals....

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 02:20 PM
The plan the GOP wants to implement is proving disastrous in 2012 in Europe. These are general economic principles that have proven to be correct over a large period of time. And besides, as I've pointed out before, the R-R plan INCREASES the deficit. It doesn't reduce the deficit by one red cent.
But what's the point? No one is changing their minds about anything, and wouldn't matter what facts, stats or historical data anyone presented. All anyone will try to do is refute it, not consider it as if it might be correct.

Yea Boy , That Romney/Ryan bunch sure would spend more money than
Oh wait
How much has Obammy/Bedridden reduced the deficit ?

FaninAma
9/5/2012, 02:21 PM

Please enlighten us with a few details on how the GOP plan resembles what is going on currently in Europe? Do you mean the forced austerity measures they are pushing on Greece? Well, that is what happens when you spend too much and other people own the note to your debt.

Don't think the same thing couldn't happen to this country? Dream on.

And your alternative would be what? To keep spending? Monetize the debt with printed money? Taxing the rich? Would you cut spending at all?

badger
9/5/2012, 02:21 PM
known criminals....

Something they should have done without the Olympics, but hey! Whatever motives them to crack down on crime...

FaninAma
9/5/2012, 02:24 PM
known criminals....

My brotehrin-law lived and worked in Brazil for over a year. He left in July and said they haven't started any construction or preparations for the Olympics. This should be interesting to say the least.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 02:26 PM
Please enlighten us with a few details on how the GOP plan resembles what is going on currently in Europe?

I don't have time to do all the research and post it, but if you go to Paul Krugman's blog (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/pointless-pain-in-spain/), you'll find all the answers there.

FaninAma
9/5/2012, 02:29 PM
Soonernomad,

Would you vote for the guy based on the fact you like him and would like to have a beer with him?

FaninAma
9/5/2012, 02:31 PM
I don't have time to do all the research and post it, but if you go to Paul Krugman's blog (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/pointless-pain-in-spain/), you'll find all the answers there.

I am not asking you to present a doctorate dissertation on the subject but I thought you could at least present a couple of summarized examples. I even threw out a couple for you.

I want your reasons, not the re-hashed reasons of a known partisan political hack.

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 02:32 PM

How about this Marfa....

If you were trying to convince me to not vote for Romney/Ryan, and my biggest concern was the economy (which is actually one, but not the biggest) what would you say they are actually planning?

Keep in mind, do not just give me liberal talking points that you hear on the news...but lay out what they plan on doing. Then give me examples of how it is bad.

Again, dont just tell me it is what is going on in Europe.

And finally, tell me how Obama (or you) would do it differently. Lay out the plan, not just talking points, with examples.

Seriously, lay their plan out. I want to know. And I am too busy to actually go searching for it. And I quit watching all the news channels.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 02:33 PM

Disagree with you there Cowboy
Ill bet you we find opinions that YOU agree with and say are correct there.

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 02:38 PM

"The Conscience of a Liberal" The Paul Krugman Blog.

Yeah, let me tell you, I will get all the answers there.

Got anything that is not Liberal or Conservative? Got something that is middle of the road and not leaning one side or the other?

Please, next time you want me to read something, don't provide me with a link to a self proclaimed lean to it!

9/5/2012, 03:06 PM

Economics change over time, and so does the strategies to make it successful.The constitution works. The absence of it to a great degree is what FDR did in the 30's and 40's, and it sure didn't work worth a dam*.

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 04:25 PM
Rush I'm far from an economist. But I do know that a bunch of social programs and a big government cannot be the answer.

That said, I'm pretty sure economic strategies change over time.

FaninAma
9/5/2012, 04:29 PM

Was Morale the name of one of his other female interns?

Military morale was not good. But I would take Clinton and a GOP controlled Congress over what we have had the past 12 years.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 04:49 PM
How about this Marfa....

If you were trying to convince me to not vote for Romney/Ryan, and my biggest concern was the economy (which is actually one, but not the biggest) what would you say they are actually planning?

Keep in mind, do not just give me liberal talking points that you hear on the news...but lay out what they plan on doing. Then give me examples of how it is bad.

Again, dont just tell me it is what is going on in Europe.

And finally, tell me how Obama (or you) would do it differently. Lay out the plan, not just talking points, with examples.

Seriously, lay their plan out. I want to know. And I am too busy to actually go searching for it. And I quit watching all the news channels.

It's not my place to tell you who to vote for. You vote for you who want based on the research you conduct. All I'm willing to do is tell you why I choose to not support someone or support them.
I don't know how Obama would do it differently. I'm voting for someone else.

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 04:54 PM

Remember what the NYTimes own Public Editor said about Krugman?

Op-Ed columnist Paul Krugman has the disturbing habit of shaping, slicing and selectively citing numbers in a fashion that pleases his acolytes but leaves him open to substantive assaults.

You must be one of the acolytes...

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 04:59 PM

Obama has been spending like crazy for 3.5 years.. What do we have?

Unemployment over 8% for the longest period ever. Smallest workforce in 30 years.. Largest amount of Americans on food stamps in history...

Yep.. Working like a charm.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 05:20 PM
Obama has been spending like crazy for 3.5 years.. What do we have?

Unemployment over 8% for the longest period ever. Smallest workforce in 30 years.. Largest amount of Americans on food stamps in history...

Yep.. Working like a charm.

He didn't spend enough and he spent a lot in the wrong places.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 05:22 PM
Remember what the NYTimes own Public Editor said about Krugman?

You must be one of the acolytes...

Assaults on his work have been lank, predictable, partisan crap. He hasn't been successfully rebutted by any serious academic in his field. Just a bunch of Forbes hacks.

okie52
9/5/2012, 06:17 PM
Assaults on his work have been lank, predictable, partisan crap. He hasn't been successfully rebutted by any serious academic in his field.

According to who?

TitoMorelli
9/5/2012, 06:25 PM
According to who?

According to other fellow "serious academics" who mindlessly toe the Keynesian line.

okie52
9/5/2012, 06:27 PM
According to other fellow "serious academics" who mindlessly toe the Keynesian line.

Heh...i should have guessed

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 06:32 PM

Produce the rebuttal from a peer reviewed, academic journal. Maybe it's there. I haven't seen it, but if it's from a scholarly publication, I'll read it.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 06:37 PM
I have to say, once again, this whole discussion is pointless. Liberals and conservatives simply have a different view of the world. Budgets, economics, how human societies should function, regulation, education, etc.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 06:38 PM
"The Conscience of a Liberal" The Paul Krugman Blog.

Yeah, let me tell you, I will get all the answers there.

Got anything that is not Liberal or Conservative? Got something that is middle of the road and not leaning one side or the other?

Please, next time you want me to read something, don't provide me with a link to a self proclaimed lean to it!

Actually, I didn't ask you to read a goddamn thing.

TitoMorelli
9/5/2012, 06:40 PM
Produce the rebuttal from a peer reviewed, academic journal. Maybe it's there. I haven't seen it, but if it's from a scholarly publication, I'll read it.

So when should we expect your conclusive proof that continuing to spend trillions of dollars of money we haven't got is the best remedy for the economic malaise we're in? The last 3+ years certainly don't support yours or Krugman's argument.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 06:42 PM
So when should we expect your conclusive proof that continuing to spend trillions of dollars of money we haven't got is the best remedy for the economic malaise we're in? The last 3+ years certainly don't support yours or Krugman's argument.
I've stated pretty clearly that you have to reduce the deficit during the recovery period. There's a lot of things we can cut. Things we should cut. Everyone agrees on that. Where we don't agree is on when and what.
And again, the GOP platform increases the deficit. Your party isn't doing much either.
There is no conclusive proof of anything. These are economic theories. The difference is the historical record suggests Krugman's ideas have a higher chance of success than Ryan's or Romney's.

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 06:42 PM
Assaults on his work have been lank, predictable, partisan crap. He hasn't been successfully rebutted by any serious academic in his field. Just a bunch of Forbes hacks.

I quoted the former NYTimes Public Editor... Not some partisan crap. But predictably, like an acolyte, you ignored who wrote the quote and jumped to an ill informed conclusion that fits your view of the world.

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 06:44 PM
He didn't spend enough and he spent a lot in the wrong places.

Thank you.

Since Obama and the Dems controlled the House and Senate for the first two years, your point is that they are incompetent. However, you have made it clear you will vote for continued incompetence...

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 06:52 PM
I quoted the former NYTimes Public Editor... Not some partisan crap. But predictably, like an acolyte, you ignored who wrote the quote and jumped to an ill informed conclusion that fits your view of the world.

Here's an article (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-02/krugman-wishes-he-was-wrong-amid-eu-austerity-backlash.html) from Bloomberg that articulately supports Krugman and the mistakes of European austerity. Bury your head in the sand as long as want.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 06:54 PM
Thank you.

Since Obama and the Dems controlled the House and Senate for the first two years, your point is that they are incompetent. However, you have made it clear you will vote for continued incompetence...

I haven't said I'm voting for Obama. Not once. All I said was I wasn't voting for the GOP. A GOP vote would definitely be a vote for incompetence.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 07:50 PM

Actually, I didn't ask you to read a goddamn thing.

Yea yer right there , You DIDNT ask anyone to read anything did ya?
What was that 1st statement a mere suggestion?

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 07:54 PM
Yea yer right there , You DIDNT ask anyone to read anything did ya?
What was that 1st statement a mere suggestion?

Hey Overthehill, it was a response to a specific question from a specific forum member. It wasn't Sooner_75 or whatever his name is.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 07:57 PM
Hey Overthehill, it was a response to a specific question from a specific forum member. It wasn't Sooner_75 or whatever his name is.

Well FartinCowpoke. when you thow out a post not specificaly aimed at anyone , Its generally figured yer askin ALL to read it. Now if thats not the case maybe ya should think of just using Peems Ya dorkasz

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 08:18 PM
Well FartinCowpoke. when you thow out a post not specificaly aimed at anyone , Its generally figured yer askin ALL to read it. Now if thats not the case maybe ya should think of just using Peems Ya dorkasz

Well, it was clearly "aimed" at someone, because their quote was in the body of my post.

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 08:19 PM
Here's Romeny's "five point plan" (from a recent interview with Fortune):

(1) Aggressively promote domestic energy development, especially fossil fuels.

(2) Expand the market for U.S. goods overseas by negotiating new trade agreements and standing up to China on intellectual-property and currency issues.

(3) Improve workforce skills by transferring job-training programs to the states and going after teachers' unions, which, he says, stand in the way of school choice and better instruction.

(4) Attack the deficit through budget cuts, not tax increases.

(5) Reshape the regulatory climate to "encourage and promote small business".

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 08:23 PM
Well, it was clearly "aimed" at someone, because their quote was in the body of my post.

And when you post it on an open message bord its generally aimed at EVERYONE dork

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 08:39 PM
I haven't said I'm voting for Obama. Not once. All I said was I wasn't voting for the GOP. A GOP vote would definitely be a vote for incompetence.

Incompetence?

All I hear from the Dems about Romney is he was TOO successful at Bain. Doesn't sound like incompetence to me.

Ryan has won all of his elections with about 65% of the vote and that is through the 2006 wave elections by the left, which means that Dems in Wisconsin like him... A lot. What proof do you have that he is incompetent?

You can disagree with them, but to call them incompetent isn't accurate.

Obama on the other picked Biden as his Vice President..... Biden.

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 08:50 PM
Here's an article (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-02/krugman-wishes-he-was-wrong-amid-eu-austerity-backlash.html) from Bloomberg that articulately supports Krugman and the mistakes of European austerity. Bury your head in the sand as long as want.

What I got from your article is that:

In a paper published this week, Rogoff and co-authors Vincent and Carmen Reinhart find countries with debts exceeding 90 percent of the size of their economy historically have experienced subpar growth for more than two decades even if their interest rates remain low.

Run your debt up too high and it will hang over your economy for decades even with low interest rates.

Thanks for the link.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 09:04 PM
Incompetence?

All I hear from the Dems about Romney is he was TOO successful at Bain. Doesn't sound like incompetence to me.

Running a VC firm isn't the same as leading a nation.

Ryan has won all of his elections with about 65% of the vote and that is through the 2006 wave elections by the left, which means that Dems in Wisconsin like him... A lot. What proof do you have that he is incompetent?

Well, let's start with his devotion to Ayn Rand. Apparently, Atlas Shrugged shaped Ryan's views on monetary policy. He "clings" to these views, despite the fact he's been dead wrong in his monetary predictions.

"In early 2011, Ryan, newly installed as the chairman of the House Budget Committee, gave Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, a hard time over his expansionary policies. Rising commodity prices and long-term interest rates, he asserted, were harbingers of high inflation to come; 'There is nothing more insidious that a country can do to its citizens,' he intoned, 'than debase its currency.'

Since then, inflation has remained quiescent while long-term rates have plunged — and the U.S. economy would surely be in much worse shape than it is if Bernanke had allowed himself to be bullied into monetary tightening."

You can disagree with them, but to call them incompetent isn't accurate.

Well, there's a pretty significant example of gross incompetence. His monetary policy would almost certainly plunge us into another Great Depression.

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2012, 09:23 PM
Ryan has won all of his elections with about 65% of the vote and that is through the 2006 wave elections by the left, which means that Dems in Wisconsin like him... A lot.

What it means is that there wasn't a decent Democratic candidate to run against him. Nothing more.

5-0

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 09:36 PM
Running a VC firm isn't the same as leading a nation.

Well, let's start with his devotion to Ayn Rand. Apparently, Atlas Shrugged shaped Ryan's views on monetary policy. He "clings" to these views, despite the fact he's been dead wrong in his monetary predictions.

"In early 2011, Ryan, newly installed as the chairman of the House Budget Committee, gave Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, a hard time over his expansionary policies. Rising commodity prices and long-term interest rates, he asserted, were harbingers of high inflation to come; 'There is nothing more insidious that a country can do to its citizens,' he intoned, 'than debase its currency.'”

Since then, inflation has remained quiescent while long-term rates have plunged — and the U.S. economy would surely be in much worse shape than it is if Bernanke had allowed himself to be bullied into monetary tightening."

Well, there's a pretty significant example of gross incompetence. His monetary policy would almost certainly plunge us into another Great Depression.

Good grief... You certainly are the Krugman acolyte... Pulling straight from his articles without credit?

You are right it takes more than running a VC firm to be qualified to be president.. But that is more qualified than Obama was. From the NYTimes:

Though he never ran a large organization before becoming president, he initially dismissed internal concerns about management and ended up with a factionalized White House and a fuzzier decision-making process than many top aides wanted.

Dismissed concerns about management from advisers who probably knew a thing or two about it because he knew better... Sounds like obstruction from the Pubs wasn't needed... Obama is plain incompetent and too ignorant to know it. Dangerous combination.

Those were not the only times Mr. Obama may have overestimated himself: he has also had a habit of warning new hires that he would be able to do their jobs better than they could.

“I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters,” Mr. Obama told Patrick Gaspard, his political director, at the start of the 2008 campaign, according to The New Yorker. “I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m going to think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

They might as well put his picture next to the word.

sappstuf
9/5/2012, 09:44 PM
What it means is that there wasn't a decent Democratic candidate to run against him. Nothing more.

5-0

In the 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 elections?

Your excuse sounds kind of lame after 7 attempts..

It isn't like Wisconsin is a deep red state.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 09:47 PM
Good grief... You certainly are the Krugman acolyte... Pulling straight from his articles without credit?

You are right it takes more than running a VC firm to be qualified to be president.. But that is more qualified than Obama was. From the NYTimes:

Dismissed concerns about management from advisers who probably knew a thing or two about it because he knew better... Sounds like obstruction from the Pubs wasn't needed... Obama is plain incompetent and too ignorant to know it. Dangerous combination.

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

They might as well put his picture next to the word.

Why do you keep bringing up Obama? I think Obama has made major mistakes, but he's not as dangerous as Romney. He'd do well to put Krugman in his cabinet.
It's bloody obvious I'm pulling from Krugman. I've been talking about his points all ****ing night. I'm not going to cite everything I post on a football forum. 90% of the political **** on this forum is copied and pasted.
I agree with him because he supports his points, and the historical record supports his points.
Ryan is wrong. Romney is wrong. I don't know how many examples you people need.
This is pointless. Like I said before, no one is changing their minds. The dye is cast.

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 10:10 PM
Marfacowgirl...

My mind isn't made up. And you damn sure aren't shedding any light on why the Romney/Ryan ticket is bad.

marfacowboy
9/5/2012, 10:34 PM
Marfacowgirl...

My mind isn't made up. And you damn sure aren't shedding any light on why the Romney/Ryan ticket is bad.

Is that the best you've got? Are you twelve years old?

Anyway, I really like cowgirls. Especially barrel racers. Thanks for the compliment.

hawaii 5-0
9/6/2012, 03:13 AM
In the 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 elections?

Your excuse sounds kind of lame after 7 attempts..

It isn't like Wisconsin is a deep red state.

The term 'firmly entrenched' comes to mind. Lots of Congressmen serve long terms. Ever heard of Carl Albert?

It doesn't mean they're good.

How many Bills has Ryan sponsored that were passed?

5-0

hawaii 5-0
9/6/2012, 11:23 AM
In the 13 years Paul Ryan has been a member of Congress he has sponsored and passed a grand total of 2 (two) Bills. He sure is one industrious Representative.

Let's look at those 2 Bills, shall we?

One was to rename the Post Office in his hometown of Janesville. Very admirable.

The other Bill he sponsored and passed was a Bill to modify the excise taxes on arrows used in Archery equipment. WTF ???

That's it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ryan/passedbills.asp

5-0

Midtowner
9/6/2012, 11:46 AM
Wow. That's an empty suit right there.

--with a hot okie wife.

yermom
9/6/2012, 12:00 PM
maybe he's just a real-life Ron Swanson?

Midtowner
9/6/2012, 12:24 PM
maybe he's just a real-life Ron Swanson?

Ron Swanson is clearly a libertarian.

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 12:48 PM
In the 13 years Paul Ryan has been a member of Congress he has sponsored and passed a grand total of 2 (two) Bills. He sure is one industrious Representative.

Let's look at those 2 Bills, shall we?

One was to rename the Post Office in his hometown of Janesville. Very admirable.

The other Bill he sponsored and passed was a Bill to modify the excise taxes on arrows used in Archery equipment. WTF ???

That's it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ryan/passedbills.asp

5-0

Another Krugman acolyte... Slicing numbers to hid his actual record.

Looking through the Library of Congress’s records, I counted 71 bills or amendments that Ryan has sponsored 71 bills or amendments and 971 bills that he has co-sponsored. That’s a lot of legislation, and some of it is pretty interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/11/paul-ryans-non-budget-policy-record-in-one-post/

Why are you holding Ryan accountable for what happens in the Senate and White House when he has no control over them? I counted 5 bills that he sponsored that passed the House in the past 1.5 years. I won't even count the number he cosponsored because I don't have the time, but it is much larger.

TitoMorelli
9/6/2012, 12:56 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_azOpGTHS0hY/TSZmWVm8B4I/AAAAAAAAAsE/CFi7G0FvZzY/s1600/apocalypse%2Bnow.jpg

"I love the smell of liberal desperation in the morning!"

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 01:07 PM
Why do you keep bringing up Obama? I think Obama has made major mistakes, but he's not as dangerous as Romney. He'd do well to put Krugman in his cabinet.
It's bloody obvious I'm pulling from Krugman. I've been talking about his points all ****ing night. I'm not going to cite everything I post on a football forum. 90% of the political **** on this forum is copied and pasted.
I agree with him because he supports his points, and the historical record supports his points.
Ryan is wrong. Romney is wrong. I don't know how many examples you people need.
This is pointless. Like I said before, no one is changing their minds. The dye is cast.

Because the name of this thread is "A sincere question for those supporting Obama"... Seems self-evident doesn't it?

Romney is more dangerous? Please tell us which president decided he could unilaterally assassinate US citizens because he thinks it is a good idea? Talk about dangerous...

marfacowboy
9/6/2012, 01:26 PM
Because the name of this thread is "A sincere question for those supporting Obama"... Seems self-evident doesn't it?

Romney is more dangerous? Please tell us which president decided he could unilaterally assassinate US citizens because he thinks it is a good idea? Talk about dangerous...

You keep bringing him up in your replies to me and insinuating I'm supporting him. I've been pretty clear on my position with Obama. I'd say the chances of Romney driving us into a depression are exponentially higher than Obama ordering the assassination of a U.S. citizen.

marfacowboy
9/6/2012, 01:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_azOpGTHS0hY/TSZmWVm8B4I/AAAAAAAAAsE/CFi7G0FvZzY/s1600/apocalypse%2Bnow.jpg

"I love the smell of liberal desperation in the morning!"

Honestly, debating conservatives reminds me of a cat toying with a mole. It's too easy.

okie52
9/6/2012, 01:29 PM
You keep bringing him up in your replies to me and insinuating I'm supporting him. I've been pretty clear on my position with Obama. I'd say the chances of Romney driving us into a depression are exponentially higher than Obama ordering the assassination of a U.S. citizen.

Uh oh.

Midtowner
9/6/2012, 01:30 PM

Romney is in favor of it as well, so it's a non-issue.

Also, Abraham Lincoln to name one other.

okie52
9/6/2012, 01:45 PM

Obama boasts of assassinating American citizen in Yemen

By Bill Van Auken
1 October 2011

In a speech before a military audience in Virginia Friday, President Barack Obama boasted of the role of the CIA and US special operations units in the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki, a 40-year-old, New Mexico-born Muslim cleric.
It marked the first time in history that an American president has publicly applauded the government’s assassination of a US citizen, who in Awlaki’s case has never been charged or indicted for any crime, much less tried and convicted in a court of law.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/oct2011/alwa-o01.shtml

TitoMorelli
9/6/2012, 01:49 PM
Honestly, debating conservatives reminds me of a cat toying with a mole. It's too easy.

Haven't found anything proving that in your numerous diatribes.

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 01:50 PM

Obama has already done it.

hawaii 5-0
9/6/2012, 01:51 PM
Another Krugman acolyte... Slicing numbers to hid his actual record.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/11/paul-ryans-non-budget-policy-record-in-one-post/

Why are you holding Ryan accountable for what happens in the Senate and White House when he has no control over them? I counted 5 bills that he sponsored that passed the House in the past 1.5 years. I won't even count the number he cosponsored because I don't have the time, but it is much larger.

Sponsoring Bills and actually getting legislation passed are quite different.

Anyone can add their name to someone else's Bill and try to get credit for it. Or pass the House and get thrown out by the Senate.

Please share your feelings about the Bills that Ryan wrote and got passed by Congress. Both of them.

It's pretty pathetic. Especially for someone serving his district for 13 years. I guess his constituents like to shoot expensive arrows at their renamed post office.

5-0

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 01:52 PM
Romney is in favor of it as well, so it's a non-issue.

Also, Abraham Lincoln to name one other.

It is only a non-issue because Dems are so hypocritical.. Imagine Bush coming up with that idea.

Midtowner
9/6/2012, 01:55 PM
It is only a non-issue because Dems are so hypocritical.. Imagine Bush coming up with that idea.

Not hard to do. I'm surprised he didn't think of it first.

We're headed for having fewer and fewer rights no matter which of these bozos is elected. I'm just planning on voting for the one I already know. I think he's at least well intentioned. Romney doesn't have enough of a moral compass for us to know a thing about him.

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 01:58 PM
Sponsoring Bills and actually getting legislation passed are quite different.

Anyone can add their name to someone else's Bill and try to get credit for it. Or pass the House and get thrown out by the Senate.

Please share your feelings about the Bills that Ryan wrote and got passed by Congress. Both of them.

It's pretty pathetic. Especially for someone serving his district for 13 years. I guess his constituents like to shoot expensive arrows at their renamed post office.

5-0

So pathetic that the Dems can even find a challenger to get 30% of the vote... A lot of Dems in Wisconsin obviously support him.

Nothing is getting past the Senate and that is no fault of Ryan's. Harry hasn't been able to find time to do his constitutional duty and pass budget in over 3 years.

hawaii 5-0
9/6/2012, 02:08 PM
So pathetic that the Dems can even find a challenger to get 30% of the vote... A lot of Dems in Wisconsin obviously support him.

Nothing is getting past the Senate and that is no fault of Ryan's. Harry hasn't been able to find time to do his constitutional duty and pass budget in over 3 years.

Actually Ryan has gotten two Bills pass the Senate.

Two

Bills

In 13 years.

Would you like to address those two Bills or continue to be evasive and deflecting?

5-0

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/6/2012, 02:09 PM
Yep. al-Alwaki was an SOB and was essentially at war with the government, so his death is understandable, even if it sets a dangerous precedent. His 15 year old son's (also american citizen) murder weeks later by a drone is more frightening.

Midtowner
9/6/2012, 02:22 PM
Yep. al-Alwaki was an SOB and was essentially at war with the government, so his death is understandable, even if it sets a dangerous precedent. His 15 year old son's (also american citizen) murder weeks later by a drone is more frightening.

Oh! I forgot the SOB clause to the 5th Amendment.

--in the fine print?

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 02:22 PM
Actually Ryan has gotten two Bills pass the Senate.

Two

Bills

In 13 years.

Would you like to address those two Bills or continue to be evasive and deflecting?

5-0

3914 bills have been introduced this year. Only 61 have become law. Your silly argument would be exactly the same for everyone.

He is held accountable every 2 years by the people of Wisconsin. Even when Dems were sweeping Repub incumbents out of office everywhere in 2006 and 2008, his popularity couldn't even be dented.

sappstuf
9/6/2012, 02:23 PM
Oh! I forgot the SOB clause to the 5th Amendment.

--in the fine print?

Handwritten by the margin.

UberSooner
9/6/2012, 02:28 PM
O.k. vet, a simple answer. The guy came from nothing. Immigrant father, single mom and graduated Harvard Law School and elected to the Senate in a State that wasn't his home. He loves his wife and kids and sneeks around to smoke cigarettes. I like his vice, it's one I understand.

cleller
9/6/2012, 03:11 PM
The term 'firmly entrenched' comes to mind. Lots of Congressmen serve long terms. Ever heard of Carl Albert?

It doesn't mean they're good.

How many Bills has Ryan sponsored that were passed?

5-0

How is Obama's record in that regard? Since we're talking about empty suits.

Ryan is not running for president, either.

Soonerjeepman
9/6/2012, 04:22 PM
O.k. vet, a simple answer. The guy came from nothing. Immigrant father, single mom and graduated Harvard Law School and elected to the Senate in a State that wasn't his home. He loves his wife and kids and sneeks around to smoke cigarettes. I like his vice, it's one I understand.

he inherited 500K from his "family"...yeah he came from nothing but went to the best private schools...whatever..and honestly all reasons you mentioned are actually very scary that he became president...never ran a company, never had a "real job" ..but yet Americans want him in charge of our country.

okie52
9/6/2012, 04:30 PM
Can you smoke pot and still vote for Romney?

I don't to violate any protocol.

olevetonahill
9/6/2012, 04:33 PM
Can you smoke pot and still vote for Romney?

I don't to violate any protocol.

Yes
Now if ya smoke Kools ya gots to vote fer Obammy

9/6/2012, 04:33 PM
How is Obama's record in that regard? Since we're talking about empty suits.

Ryan is not running for president, either.The guy is a jar full of democrat koolaid, actually doing what they accuse conservatives of doing. Time wasted.

FaninAma
9/6/2012, 04:34 PM
he inherited 500K from his "family"...yeah he came from nothing but went to the best private schools...whatever..and honestly all reasons you mentioned are actually very scary that he became president...never ran a company, never had a "real job" ..but yet Americans want him in charge of our country.

What I found interesting is that the powerbrokers inside and outside the Democratic Party chose him over their gal pal Hilliary.
You knw that Obama could have been blown out of the water during the primaries with jsut the right leaked information.

9/6/2012, 04:35 PM
he inherited 500K from his "family"...yeah he came from nothing but went to the best private schools...whatever..and honestly all reasons you mentioned are actually very scary that he became president...never ran a company, never had a "real job" ..but yet Americans want him in charge of our country.He worked white guilt to the max. Then lowered the boom!

okie52
9/6/2012, 04:44 PM
Yes
Now if ya smoke Kools ya gots to vote fer Obammy

Bwahhaaaaahhhhaaaa.

marfacowboy
9/6/2012, 05:54 PM

Yeah, I remember that guy. A piece of ****, but still a decision I have a hard time supporting. Despite Obama's occasional hawkish behavior, I believe cases like that are anomalies. At least I hope so. Hell, maybe he's drunk on power like all the rest of them.

SoonerKnight
9/7/2012, 01:02 AM
Please leave all the Political rhetoric out, I wont debate or even pop off any jokes . I sincerely want to know why you think he is the best man for this job, Not why hes better than Romney, simply WHY you think he is the man over any and all others

Those on the right Please dont junk this up ok? I really am curious.

The man came from nothing. He made himself into somebody. He has worked his way up and has genuinely struggled in life. He has tried to fix a terrible mess that well has been really hard to fix. And you don't want me to say why he is better than Romney so I'll say this back in 2004 Cheney went around saying that we have not been attacked since 9/11. Well with Obama we have not been attacked. Really we have taken the fight to them so much so that those on the right were showing real faux concern at the leak standing order from the president. If they look Taliban and if they are old enough to fight and if they are there then blow'em to hell. After we bomb them and their friends come to help move rubble we bomb their friends. That send s a message. WE AIN'T PLAYING!!

UberSooner
9/7/2012, 08:48 AM

I never heard about any 500k inheretence. Not that it matters much. I've never gotten the whole fixation with people who run companies. How does that prepare you to be president? Don't tell me about balancing budgets and that crap cause none of these guys has seriously tried to do that. I've never heard of a company that could deploy troops to enforce its corporate policies or levy taxes to secure its bottom line. I get that people hate government but that doesn't make corporate experience valuable.

okie52
9/7/2012, 09:25 AM
I never heard about any 500k inheretence. Not that it matters much. I've never gotten the whole fixation with people who run companies. How does that prepare you to be president? Don't tell me about balancing budgets and that crap cause none of these guys has seriously tried to do that. I've never heard of a company that could deploy troops to enforce its corporate policies or levy taxes to secure its bottom line. I get that people hate government but that doesn't make corporate experience valuable.

Oh come on now. Surely you are not being deliberately naive here to not see the value of having corporate/business experience in a capitalistic nation that is made up of corporations. You do understand that corporations will make business decisions with tax consequences in mind, they will enlarge or reduce their spending to compensate for market conditions, they will hire or lay off people based on the market needs and projections for the future. The many aspects of benefit packages offered to employees such as healthcare and pension plans are factored into their product pricing and bottom line. How you can't find this experience valuable for any president eludes me.

rock on sooner
9/7/2012, 10:45 AM

Is your source for the inheritance "The Daily Rant"? I just did a search
for that info and the only thing coming up is The Rant. The author said
they both denied that fact. Yes, good, high priced schools were involved,
scholarships, too. What I don't understand is that if they had that inheritance
why would they take out student loans? Makes no sense....jus askin..

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 11:07 AM
Obama is likeable but he is in over his head. Maybe no one can get us out of the mess we are in now. I just know that more government spending is not the answer. And now even if he came out and said he wanted to cut the budget including military and entitlements you can't believe him because he spent the goodwill of his first term pushing through the biggest government takeover of the private sector in the history of the country. The only thing he has ever done is work in or for the government. He believes government is the solution. I have yet to see where he really feels the government is a big part of the problem.

Our economy is in horrible shape. Almost 400,000 people dropped out of the workforce. The employment rate of 63.5% is the lowest in 30 years. Most of the jobs created last month were in the food and drink sector and we all know how well they pay.

And this after all the government and Federal Reserve stimulus of the last 10 years. Even a terminal patient will quit responding to massive amounts of adrenalin. And what has all the stimulus accomplished? It has only added more debt that will need to be dealt with when the debt ponzi scheme collapses.

yermom
9/7/2012, 11:12 AM
what is Rmoney going to do to improve that? the economy under Bush even when it "recovered" was mostly "food and drink" jobs wasn't it?

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 11:46 AM
what is Rmoney going to do to improve that? the economy under Bush even when it "recovered" was mostly "food and drink" jobs wasn't it?

Probably nothing. The only thing I am hoping for is someone who understands what is causing the problem and stops making it worse by creating more and more debt.

If Romney does what needs to be done he will be a one-term President because it will be painful and the electorate doesn't like pain. But what the governemnt and Fed have done with our debt is akin to preventing the occasional cleansing wildfire in a forrest and allowing the undergrowth and dead wood to accumulate to the point that eventually the fire you can't control will be much more devestating and destructive.

The economic experts that have ran the FED and advised the President for the past 30 years seemed to think they could put off the inevitable debt collapse for ever. By printing more money and adding more debt to the budget they may have temporarily postponed it but they have made it much worse when it actually happens.

There will be a debt collapse/blow-off followed by our economic experts trying to compensate with more massive stimulus which will result in rebound hyperinflation. If you can time it right you can avoid losing a lot of money and maybe even profit from it but you have to understand what is causing it and understand why policy makers who have worked inside the government or academia all of their lives and only know one course of action....throw money at the problem.

yermom
9/7/2012, 12:01 PM
i just have little faith anyone will fix any of that voluntarily.

that's why i don't see the urgency of replacing Obama. i don't trust him, but at least he's not pandering to the people i really don't want running the country. corporations and religious zealots.

okie52
9/7/2012, 12:22 PM

that's why i don't see the urgency of replacing Obama. i don't trust him, but at least he's not pandering to the people i really don't want running the country. corporations and religious zealots.

So you prefer pandering to green energy, unions, environmental zealots, and illegal immigrants?

yermom
9/7/2012, 12:24 PM
they scare me and control my everyday life a lot less than the aforementioned groups

okie52
9/7/2012, 12:33 PM
they scare me and control my everyday life a lot less than the aforementioned groups

So his favored groups are relatively inconsequential in job creation, debt reduction, and economic growth?

yermom
9/7/2012, 12:35 PM
we saw how the pubs did those things under Bush, didn't we?

okie52
9/7/2012, 12:49 PM
we saw how the pubs did those things under Bush, didn't we?

And we've seen how Obama has done.

If Obama was really concerned about job growth rather than being an ideologue, one area wouldn't need subsidation at all...he just needs to get out of the way.

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 01:53 PM

This may sound weird to anybody who hasn't read or studied about the corporate bankruptcy system in this country but Romney's background at Bain in turning around bankrupt companies is what I find to be his strongest qualification for the office of President. He has dealt with and thrived in a field where the competing intersets of the debors, shareholders and creditors clash in a vicious take no prsioners battle....and he has succeeded in most cases.

I have no doubt he knows the economics of the situation we face as a nation and he knows there will need to be tough choices to be made so that we can reorganize and come out of this mess with a clean start. I actually can think of no better person to handle this than an expert in bankruptcy reorganizations.

Obama, on the other hand, just has no clue about the cause of the problems so he has no clue on how to fix them. He is just deeply in over his head on the economic fiorestorm headed our way. If Obama is re-elected he will end up replacing Herbert Hoover as the poster boy of a President who looked like a deer in the headlites as the economy went down the drain.

8timechamps
9/7/2012, 01:57 PM
This may sound weird to anybody who hasn't read or studied about the corporate bankruptcy system in this country but Romney's background at Bain in turning around bankrupt companies is what I find to be his strongest qualification for the office of President. He has dealt with and thrived in a field where the competing intersets of the debors, shareholders and creditors clash in a vicious take no prsioners battle....and he has succeeded in most cases.

I have no doubt he knows the economics of the situation we face as a nation and he knows there will need to be tough choices to be made so that we can reorganize and come out of this mess with a clean start. I actually can think of no better person to handle this than an expert in bankruptcy reorganizations.

Obama, on the other hand, just has no clue about the cause of the problems so he has no clue on how to fix them. He is just deeply in over his head on the economic fiorestorm headed our way. If Obama is re-elected he will end up replacing Herbert Hoover as the poster boy of a President who looked like a deer in the headlites as the economy went down the drain.

I agree. The inclusion of Paul Ryan helps too. If there is anyone in DC that can really understand the budget, it's Ryan. Like him or not, the guys knows his stuff.

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 02:00 PM

But Obama really hasn't dealt with the groups you are afraid of in any meaningful way. I would be right there with you if he had really stood up to the big banks(who in reality are the puppetmasters of the Fed) or corporate America. Hell, he hasn't even gone after China on free trade like he said he would.

What is his big accomplishment in hist first term? That's right....healthcare. And even though under his plan there will be a lot more intrusion into the healthcare system he left the big insurance companies essentially intact in the way they run their business and extract a profit from healthcare. He is anything but anti-Wall Street or anti-mutinational corporation.

yermom
9/7/2012, 02:11 PM
but Romney is obviously in their pocket. his base seems to want him to sell us out to them. at least Obama might be curbed somewhat by needing to hide it

plus all this "protecting the family" rubbish Romney is pushing makes me have no interest whatsoever in seeing him elected

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 02:27 PM
but Romney is obviously in their pocket. his base seems to want him to sell us out to them. at least Obama might be curbed somewhat by needing to hide it

plus all this "protecting the family" rubbish Romney is pushing makes me have no interest whatsoever in seeing him elected

Examples? Bain capital was not a politically connected Wall Street company like Goldman Sachs or JPM-Chase or as well known/powerful as the hedge funds headed up by Soros and John Corzine. In fact, Bain capital often went up against those companies when they were creditors of bankrupt companies. That's what venture capital hedge funds do. They risk capital and take on the big banks who are the creidtors of these bankrupt companies. Then you fight it out in bankruptcy court to try and save the company. Most of the time the creditors just want the company and its assets liquidated so they get paid off since they are first in line to receive money.(It's called the rule of Absolute Priority)

The fact that Romney had the moxy to go in and save several of these companies from complete annihlation is impressive.

To anybody who knows the least bit about bankruptcy/distressed capital hedge funds what Romney did is impressive.

At least he knows how the big corporations and banks operate and he will know how to react and counteract their tactics.

Of course you can continue to believe that he will sell out the entire country(not that it hasn't already been sold out by previous politicians including Obama) or you can hold out hope like I do that it takes knowledge of sharks to survive when swimming with sharks. Obama and his team of government economists and academic ivory-tower types are just chum in the water to these guys.

Joe Kennedy was the best SEC chairnman the country ever had because many of the things he created regulations against were things he did while amassing his fortune in the stockmarket.....post bootlegger days.

yermom
9/7/2012, 03:13 PM
who are the sharks?

all i hear they want to do is deregulate business and cut taxes, start austerity measures, etc... all while policing your bedroom

okie52
9/7/2012, 03:28 PM
who are the sharks?

all i hear they want to do is deregulate business and cut taxes, start austerity measures, etc... all while policing your bedroom

You want greater regulation and higher taxes? What austerity measures? Mitt wants to police your bedroom?

yermom
9/7/2012, 03:34 PM
You want greater regulation and higher taxes? What austerity measures? Mitt wants to police your bedroom?

yes. cutting entitlements is austerity, no? and not my bedroom, but i'm not gay or on birth control.

okie52
9/7/2012, 03:40 PM
yes. cutting entitlements is austerity, no? and not my bedroom, but i'm not gay or on birth control.

Hardly austerity to reduce spending. You know, the shared sacrifice? They aren't banning gays sexual activity. They just haven't evolved like Obama did from 4 years ago...you did vote for him four years ago didn't you? Birth control? Never heard any pubs mention banning birth control unless you are talking about the government paying for it.

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 03:53 PM
who are the sharks?

The sharks are the JPMs, Goldman-Scahs, Citibanks of the world....the guys who control monetary policy on the Fed and are involved in every major financial scandal of the past 30 years. Most recently they have been implicated in the municipal bond rigging scandal;, the LIBOR rates scandal, robo signing and they are the ones receiving the majority of the benefit from the stimulus programs.

They set the inflationary policies of the fed and then feed off the froth. They do have a lot of small fry Wall Street traders that follow them around picking up the pieces that the big fish can't swallow. If you need an explanation of how they thrive off the relationship with the government and the Fed just read the stories on Yahoo about how the market likes the fact the jobs numbers were horrible because it means more free money from the FED for QE*****.

Will Romney reign this crap in? Maybe not. But at least he understands how they operate and how they profit off government excess and deficit spending. Obama hasn't done sh*t in 4 years to reign these predators in.

Did he reinstate Glass-Stegall when he had both houses of Copngress? F no.

Did he have his justice department go after the true criminals in the 2008 meltdown? F no.

Has the justice department brought John Corzine to justice? F no because then he couldn't bundle Obama's campaign contributions.

Has he investigated why the FED bailed out foreign banks while allowing US banks to fail by the hundreds? F no.

Has his justice department investigated the Wall Street banks role in the unfolding LIBOR scandal? F no.

Did the SEC and justice department under Obama hammer those firms that fixed the munincipal bond bidding process resulting in massive tax payer losses for cities and county governments? F no unless you consider a slap on the wrist fine of a few million dollars as a hammer.

And please don't point to the Frank-Dodd bill as a serious attempt to regulate the financial system. In fact, SEC investigations and prosecutions of trading law violations under Obama since the passage of that law is actually down from the Bush tenure.

Sure sounds like someone that will protect you from the guys that scare you.

Any specific examples of policing the bedroom?

And apparently you buy into the crap that cutting the rate of sepnding growth equals austerity. If so then define what you would consider a non-austere budget balancing method.

Midtowner
9/7/2012, 03:57 PM
And apparently you buy into the crap that cutting the rate of sepnding growth equals austerity. If so then define what you would consider a non-austere budget balancing method.

A 91% top marginal tax rate.

FaninAma
9/7/2012, 04:14 PM
A 91% top marginal tax rate.

Go ahead. But if you are going to point to the fact that we used to have a marginal tax rate that high then also reinstitute all the tax breaks that accompanied that tax rate which were removed when the marginal tax rates were reduced in the 60's and 80's.

SoonerorLater
9/7/2012, 06:22 PM
You guys do know all of this is an exercise in futility don't you? No matter who is elected it is TEOTWAWKI. Pick the best crisis manager because that is what it will come to.

SoonerKnight
9/8/2012, 12:23 AM
I agree. The inclusion of Paul Ryan helps too. If there is anyone in DC that can really understand the budget, it's Ryan. Like him or not, the guys knows his stuff.

Really? Mr. We just have not looked at the numbers yet? No, Ryan has never disliked a spending bill until Obama came into office. Please he voted for war but did not vote to fund it. He voted for medicare part D with no way to fund it.

Let's be clear NOT in my life time has there been a Republican President that has actually lowered the debt of this country or balanced the budget. They all believe in tax cuts. That's fine but they still believe in spending a lot on the military. Some math for you. Who wants to increase spending on the military by 2 trillion and reduce the amount of money coming in to the government by another 1 trillion dollars?

Romney/Ryan. How will this actually lower the debt? How will this create jobs? guess they don't have a good reason to get rid of Obama. Oh who asked for stimulus money and then went around blasting the president for it? Who wrote a letter praising Obama care and yet was publicly blasting Obama for it? Yep your "Knows his stuff" Paul Ryan.

SCOUT
9/8/2012, 12:27 AM
Really? Mr. We just have not looked at the numbers yet? No, Ryan has never disliked a spending bill until Obama came into office. Please he voted for war but did not vote to fund it. He voted for medicare part D with no way to fund it.

Let's be clear NOT in my life time has there been a Republican President that has actually lowered the debt of this country or balanced the budget. They all believe in tax cuts. That's fine but they still believe in spending a lot on the military. Some math for you. Who wants to increase spending on the military by 2 trillion and reduce the amount of money coming in to the government by another 1 trillion dollars?

Romney/Ryan. How will this actually lower the debt? How will this create jobs? guess they don't have a good reason to get rid of Obama. Oh who asked for stimulus money and then went around blasting the president for it? Who wrote a letter praising Obama care and yet was publicly blasting Obama for it? Yep your "Knows his stuff" Paul Ryan.
Thank you for the factual, unbiased post. I feel that we are all better for having read it.

SCOUT
9/8/2012, 12:27 AM
Rolleyes is understood here, right?

diverdog
9/8/2012, 05:27 AM
The sharks are the JPMs, Goldman-Scahs, Citibanks of the world....the guys who control monetary policy on the Fed and are involved in every major financial scandal of the past 30 years. Most recently they have been implicated in the municipal bond rigging scandal;, the LIBOR rates scandal, robo signing and they are the ones receiving the majority of the benefit from the stimulus programs.

They set the inflationary policies of the fed and then feed off the froth. They do have a lot of small fry Wall Street traders that follow them around picking up the pieces that the big fish can't swallow. If you need an explanation of how they thrive off the relationship with the government and the Fed just read the stories on Yahoo about how the market likes the fact the jobs numbers were horrible because it means more free money from the FED for QE*****.

Will Romney reign this crap in? Maybe not. But at least he understands how they operate and how they profit off government excess and deficit spending. Obama hasn't done sh*t in 4 years to reign these predators in.

Did he have his justice department go after the true criminals in the 2008 meltdown? F no.

Has the justice department brought John Corzine to justice? F no because then he couldn't bundle Obama's campaign contributions.

Has he investigated why the FED bailed out foreign banks while allowing US banks to fail by the hundreds? F no.

Has his justice department investigated the Wall Street banks role in the unfolding LIBOR scandal? F no.

Did the SEC and justice department under Obama hammer those firms that fixed the munincipal bond bidding process resulting in massive tax payer losses for cities and county governments? F no unless you consider a slap on the wrist fine of a few million dollars as a hammer.

And please don't point to the Frank-Dodd bill as a serious attempt to regulate the financial system. In fact, SEC investigations and prosecutions of trading law violations under Obama since the passage of that law is actually down from the Bush tenure.

Excellent post. We don't always agree but I do enjoy reading your post.

SoonerKnight
9/8/2012, 01:51 PM

The difference is I read stuff beyond what I just agree with. I am not easily convinced but when the news shows the letters that Ryan wrote and you still claim it didn't happen well I roll my eyes at you sir!

SoonerKnight
9/8/2012, 01:59 PM

After repeated denials, Paul Ryan has admitted he requested stimulus cash even after sharply criticizing the program.

Ryan had denied doing so as recently as Wednesday, when he spoke to ABC’s Cincinnati affiliate, WCPO, in Ohio.

“I never asked for stimulus,” Mitt Romney’s new running mate said. “I don’t recall… so I really can’t comment on it. I opposed the stimulus because it doesn’t work, it didn’t work.”

Two years ago, during an interview on WBZ’s NewsRadio he was asked by a caller if he “accepted any money” into his district. Ryan said he did not.

“I’m not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money,” the congressman answered.

But as we’ve now learned, Ryan did write letters. He did request stimulus funds.

“The Olympics may be over but Paul Ryan could have gotten a gold medal in hypocrisy,” a senior administration official told ABC’s Jake Tapper. “As someone who spends all day every day railing against government spending, but then secretly seeks millions in funds for pet projects, he is as Washington as it gets.”

In 2009, Ryan wrote to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Labor Secretary Hilda Solis asking for stimulus money to cover costs on two energy conservation projects in his home state of Wisconsin. In the letter, Ryan said the funds would help create jobs and reduce “energy consumption” in the state. At least one of the companies received the requested cash.

The letters were first obtained by The Wall Street Journal through the Freedom of Information Act back in early 2010. The Boston Globe turned them up for the first time during this campaign season Wednesday. At that point, a Ryan aide referred ABC News back to what a Ryan spokesman said when the letters first went public.

“If Congressman Ryan is asked to help a Wisconsin entity applying for existing Federal grant funds, he does not believe flawed policy should get in the way of doing his job and providing a legitimate constituent service to his employers,” the spokesman told the Milwaukee (Wisc.) Journal Sentinel.

Thursday, Ryan responded to the questions himself.

“After having these letters called to my attention I checked into them, and they were treated as constituent service requests in the same way matters involving Social Security or Veterans Affairs are handled,” he said in a statement. “This is why I didn’t recall the letters earlier. But they should have been handled differently, and I take responsibility for that.

“Regardless, it’s clear that the Obama stimulus did nothing to stimulate the economy, and now the President is asking to do it all over again.”

He's a liar alright!!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/presented-with-letters-ryan-admits-requesting-stimulus-cash/

rock on sooner
9/8/2012, 02:03 PM

Agree with DD, good post. Triggered some thoughts and hunting..
Bank failures peaked in 2010 with 157, dropped to 92 in 2011 and
"only" 39 so far in 2012. Is it possible that Dodd-Frank and other
watchdogging has helped?

Glass-Stegall was never repealed, still on the books. What was repealed
was the part about banks being involved with investment banks.

True about criminal prosecutions in the 08 meltdown, but some civil cases
brought some big time penalties..Goldman-Sachs $550m fine, Mozilo (Countrywide)
$67.5m, several big banks acknowledge they're being investigated. Bush's DOJ
sent directives out for the banks to "self investigate" in 08.

Lotta talk about the LIBOR being shelved altogether.