PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

SoonerInFortSmith
9/4/2012, 04:19 PM
First off I know this isn't football related. But I only trust my football loving brethren with such important matters. Anyone who goes to a sports message board for political discussion is just odd. Haha.

So anyway, I'm going to Chicago to work for a while. Specifically Schaumburg which is the northwest side of the city. Anyone who has been there please tell me the places I absolutely have to go while I'm there. Obviously restaurants are important but I also want to see the best attractions. Nothing is off limits. Thank you friends.

MI Sooner
9/4/2012, 04:25 PM
I might just stroll the city from Michigan Ave north of the river to Grant Park, maybe taking a detour to the lakeshore at Navy Pier or near the Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum.

I haven't kept up on restaurants much, but was pleased with Rick Bayless's takeout place (Frontera Express or something) and the Purple Pig last time I was there. For tourist attractions, I'd probably hit the Art Institute first, and maybe the Hancock or Willis (Sears) Tower if the wait was short. If the Cubs are in town and you're a big baseball fan, I might take the train up to the north side to take that scene in.

BillyBall
9/4/2012, 04:28 PM
First off I know this isn't football related. But I only trust my football loving brethren with such important matters. Anyone who goes to a sports message board for political discussion is just odd. Haha.

So anyway, I'm going to Chicago to work for a while. Specifically Schaumburg which is the northwest side of the city. Anyone who has been there please tell me the places I absolutely have to go while I'm there. Obviously restaurants are important but I also want to see the best attractions. Nothing is off limits. Thank you friends.

Schaumburg pretty much blows, it's just a bunch of strip malls so it's nothing exciting...

Tourist ****:
Do an architectural boat tour, those are pretty solid
Try to check out a Sox game, at least they are competitive and it's super easy to get tickets. No one goes to see the only first place team in the City.
Try to go to a Bears game.
Take the Metra to Union Station and then take the Blue Line to Division or Damen street and check out Wicker Park/Bucktown neighborhood. Great live music scene, etc.
Take a cab ride on Lake Shore Drive from the northside to downtown, it's a great way to see the "beaches" and a great view of the skyline.

Food:
People will tell you that you have to go to Lou Malnatti's, don't believe them. Go to Pequod's in Lakeview. It is 10 times better.
Good steak restaurants but nothing that stands out compared to OKC.
Go to China Town, Ukrainian Village, the Golden Mile (Indian) etc. Great, cheap authentic food.

And for the love of everything that is holy, do not go to the south or west sides of the city. It's like ****ing Baghdad.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/4/2012, 04:29 PM
I am actually a big Cubbie fan. I bet tickets aren't too hard to get this time of year since they suck. Thanks.

BillyBall
9/4/2012, 04:30 PM
I am actually a big Cubbie fan. I bet tickets aren't too hard to get this time of year since they suck. Thanks.

Yeah you'd be surprised. You can get a ticket but their attendance is almost twice of that of the Sox.

PalmBeachSooner
9/4/2012, 04:45 PM
Definitely got to go see the Cubs no matter how bad they suck.

Also, google Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and then search it for Chicago. You'll find some hidden gems when it comes to food.

Heck I did it for you. Click this link (http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=chicago&fnSearchType=site).

These are locations visited by triple-D, Man vs. Food and Best Thing I Ever Ate. The one I'd most like to go to is Smoque BBQ. The owner of Vito & Nick's Pizzeria has some hot daughters that work there.

Also, research blues clubs. Gotta here some live Chicago style blues while you're there.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/4/2012, 04:54 PM
People will tell you that you have to go to Lou Malnatti's, don't believe them. Go to Pequod's in Lakeview. It is 10 times better.

You shut your filthy trap! Lou Malnati's is teh ALLSOME! The mistake NOT to make with Malnati's is NOT ordering the butter crust. YOU MUST HAVE THE BUTTER CRUST.

But I will admit, I am partial to a couple of the Malnati's downtown. Can't vouch for the ones out in the 'burbs.

Oh... and don't get in a pizzaria debate with Chicagoans. They are fiercely loyal to their place. As in pizzaria debates have been known to escalate into brawls. If they like Connie's, they like Connie's. If they like Pequod's, they like Pequod's (whatever the hell that dump is.) And if they like Malnati's, they are right.

Just sayin.

:D

cleller
9/4/2012, 05:12 PM
I've never been to Chicago, but if I do ever go, I'd like to see the Field Museum, which has the actual "lions of Tsavo" featured in the movie The Ghost and the Darkness"

There's also apparently a WWII submarine and museum somewhere on the waterfront.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 05:12 PM
Sorry, but I have to move this to the South Oval.

BillyBall
9/4/2012, 05:15 PM
You shut your filthy trap! Lou Malnati's is teh ALLSOME! The mistake NOT to make with Malnati's is NOT ordering the butter crust. YOU MUST HAVE THE BUTTER CRUST.

But I will admit, I am partial to a couple of the Malnati's downtown. Can't vouch for the ones out in the 'burbs.

Oh... and don't get in a pizzaria debate with Chicagoans. They are fiercely loyal to their place. As in pizzaria debates have been known to escalate into brawls. If they like Connie's, they like Connie's. If they like Pequod's, they like Pequod's (whatever the hell that dump is.) And if they like Malnati's, they are right.

Just sayin.

Yeah, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about...

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 05:45 PM
Was on a flight that had a connection in Chicago once, Never left the airport.
Then drove thru it once going from Minneapolis To go to the Indy 500 once , never stopped Unless you count the hours stopped in that ****in traffic :succ:

Whet
9/4/2012, 07:20 PM
Agree with BillyBall on Schaumberg, it's scabby. Isn't there a big mall there?
Museums:
Field Museum of Natural History - good museum and it's next to the Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium - and Soldier Field. This area is just southeast of the Loop area. Also in the area is Grant Park, lots of statues, the fountain made famous by Married with Children. And, Grant park was the sight of all the riots in '68, during the Dem convention.

South, by the University of Chicago and the home of the Great Leader, is the Museum of Science and Industry, this is where they have the Nazi sub.

The Art Institute of Chicago - in the Loop, next to the lake. They have art here.

Museum of Broadcast Communications - old broadcasts - radio and tv.

International Museum of Surgical Science - odd medical shat.

McCormick Tribune Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum - This and the Tribune Tower are very interesting places, across the street the the Wriggly Building. Both of these are in the Loop on Michigan Ave.

Do take the architectural boat tour, but remember to not look up or open your mouth when you go under the bridges....

Billy Goat Tavern - have a cheeze borger.

The Mag Mile - shopping area along Michigan Ave. north of the Chicago River.

DO NOT go south or west -

Take a Lake Michigan boat tour and spend some time at Navy Pier.

There are a lot of good eating establishments and you can have a different ethnic cuisine every night. Just stay away from the tourist-type restaurants.

Go to the top of Sears Tower. But, have lunch atop the Hancock - get a window seat.

Try some of the neighborhoods.

If you are here during January and February, you will get a good taste of winter. But, they are great about clearing the snow from the streets.

And, do not give any of the panhandlers money! They prey on newbies and tourists - don't believe anyone that asks for money...

The Metra train system is very good and runs on time. In the city, you have CTA buses and Els/subways.

No not venture south or west.

Forgot Greektown for Greek food.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/4/2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about...

Whateryou talkin 'bout? You didn't even spell Malnati's correctly... Chumply-chumpenstein. ;)

SoonerInFortSmith
9/4/2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys. Keep em coming if anybody has anything to add.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/4/2012, 11:13 PM
whet mentioned the Art Institute. It's been years, but it really stood out in my mind.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2012, 08:33 PM
Add another vote for the Field Museum. You could spend a week in there and not see it all. Shedd Aquarium is ok if you like hordes of screaming children.

For food, look up the Chicago Brauhaus (German) and India House Restaurant (near the Magnificent Mile). Both are outstanding.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2012, 08:33 PM
Oh, and get yourself some culture. Go see the Chicago Symphony or Lyric Opera Chicago.

Mississippi Sooner
9/6/2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah you'd be surprised. You can get a ticket but their attendance is almost twice of that of the Sox.

Their fans really are fanatic. I've seen that when they come to St Louis. Even though the Cards mark up the tickets for those games until even the nosebleeds are in the $80 range, they still sell out regardless because of the throngs of Cubs fans that come down.

Turd_Ferguson
9/6/2012, 01:36 PM
Make sure you go to the Wiener's Circle, at night, preferably when you're drunk. Get the Char Dog w/Everything and fries. Make sure you tell the girl taking your order that you'll slap the black off of her if she get's your order wrong...She likes to be talked to like that.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/6/2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, and get yourself some culture. Go see the Chicago Symphony or Lyric Opera Chicago.

Let's not get carried away now. Haha. Haven't been to the opera in a while.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/6/2012, 07:54 PM
Make sure you go to the Wiener's Circle, at night, preferably when you're drunk. Get the Char Dog w/Everything and fries. Make sure you tell the girl taking your order that you'll slap the black off of her if she get's your order wrong...She likes to be talked to like that.

Now talking dirty to waitresses is something me and the boys could definitely accomplish. And the being drunk part is just kinda a given.

olevetonahill
9/6/2012, 10:30 PM
Now talking dirty to waitresses is something me and the boys could definitely accomplish. And the being drunk part is just kinda a given.

Well, ya are Posse :very_drunk:

SoonerInFortSmith
9/7/2012, 07:49 PM

Just sayin.

OMG! Malnati's is teh ALLSOME!

Tomorrow gonna take the L train into the city and watch the Sooner's game at either Joe's or Declan's. I am f'n thrilled.

C&CDean
9/8/2012, 09:20 AM
How can you go to a Sox game and avoid the south side? Eff the sox. They're AL anyhow. A game at Wrigley is a must for all true baseball fans.

I'm a little different I guess. No tours of anything. I like to walk downtown - from the park all up and down Michigan Ave, State St., etc. You can take the "architecture tour" all by yourself. I love the buildings there. I always go to Buddy Guys' Legends when I'm there as well. Surprisingly decent cajun food and live blues every day. Also, Chicago "pizza" is not pizza. It's a casserole. The only pizza is in NYC. Don't get me wrong, it's damn good casserole, but it ain't pizza.

Hit any little greek/italian/whatever joint or neighborhood bar on the way. There's a place around the corner from the Hilton (used to be the towers) that has to be the model for the old Saturday Night Live deal. "Yes, I'll have a ham and cheese on rye and a Sprite." "Cheeboiger, pepsi, no coke." Down by the Renaissance Hotel there's House of Blues, and a bunch of other restaurants and stuff that are worth checking out. Finally, do not leave Chicago without sampling a dipped italian beef and sausage sammich. Best on the planet.

Whet
9/10/2012, 05:32 PM
Billy Goat Tavern.

BillyBall
9/10/2012, 06:15 PM
The cell is barely the ****ing south side and isn't close to my point. I thought since you were omniscient and a genius you would know that Dean. You talk out of your ***, youre a prick and you come across as a ****ing *******, constantly. Its no wonder this place blows and is over run by retards now.

TitoMorelli
9/10/2012, 07:23 PM
Here's a site that will list the Chicago area eateries that have been featured on Diner, Drive-ins, Dives--

http://www.flavortownusa.com/

TitoMorelli
9/10/2012, 07:39 PM
I've never been to Chicago, but if I do ever go, I'd like to see the Field Museum, which has the actual "lions of Tsavo" featured in the movie The Ghost and the Darkness"

There's also apparently a WWII submarine and museum somewhere on the waterfront.

The sub is at the Museum of Science and Industry, farther south of the Loop and near Lake Michigan. Worth a visit.

As for the art gallery, if you get by there be sure to check out the wall-sized work by Seurat, "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte."

Turd_Ferguson
9/10/2012, 08:46 PM
The cell is barely the ****ing south side and isn't close to my point. I thought since you were omniscient and a genius you would know that Dean. You talk out of your ***, youre a prick and you come across as a ****ing *******, constantly. Its no wonder this place blows and is over run by retards now.You wouldn't know a prick if ya tripped over it...

olevetonahill
9/10/2012, 08:58 PM
The cell is barely the ****ing south side and isn't close to my point. I thought since you were omniscient and a genius you would know that Dean. You talk out of your ***, youre a prick and you come across as a ****ing *******, constantly. Its no wonder this place blows and is over run by retards now.

You wouldn't know a prick if ya tripped over it...

Why do these peeps Post here when they hate it so?

C&CDean
9/11/2012, 08:20 AM

Thanks billy boy. If you'd leave, there'd be one less tard. And answer me this; would you go walking around down by Comiskey at night by yourself? That's what I thought. I ain't sure what crawled up inside your vajajay, but I'd suggest some summer's eve. No, I am not a Chicagoite, but I've been there many times on business. Second favorite city to visit/hang out next to San Francisco. It's a good thing not all of the folks up there are raggy like you.

SoonerAtKU
9/11/2012, 11:36 AM
I'm going to be up there in November for some training, spending a week in Schaumburg also. I won't have a car, though.

Howzit
9/11/2012, 12:44 PM
Sorry, but I have to move this to the South Oval.

Your face is a South Oval.

8timechamps
9/11/2012, 01:21 PM
Your face is a South Oval.

Your face is THE South Oval.

virginiasooner
9/11/2012, 04:13 PM
There's a place on Michigan Avenue called The Purple Pig -- Cheese, wine and swine. It's FABULOUS! Also, go to any Rick Bayless restaurant -- they rock!

Do the Hancock Tower for an after-dinner/show drink. They'll direct you to the room facing north, but after you get herded in there, go to the room facing south -- and you get all the lights of nighttime Chicago. And if you go to the Billy Goat Tavern, DON'T get the Billy Goat Special to drink -- unless you're already drunk!