PDA

View Full Version : Only Top 10 Team to Open on the Road

PalmBeachSooner
9/3/2012, 05:48 PM
I'm not trying to sugar coat the game, but OU was the only top 10 team to open the season on the road. On top of that they played a team that should compete for it's conference championship based on what I saw.

mikee likee
9/3/2012, 06:04 PM
Bammer? Jerry World?

tooslow
9/3/2012, 06:37 PM
I'm not trying to sugar coat the game, but OU was the only top 10 team to open the season on the road. On top of that they played a team that should compete for it's conference championship based on what I saw.

Time will tell, as far as UTEP being legit, but remember that a lot of folks were saying great things about Utah State after we escaped at home to open up the 2010 season. If I recall correctly, they didn't come close to winning their conference and finished with only 3-4 wins. The flip side is that we only lost 2 games that year, so it shows that 1 game definitely does not define a season, although its easy to understand why doubts are creeping in about this being a "special" season.

oSuJeff1997
9/4/2012, 01:36 PM

They played a team that should compete for their conference championship?

UTEP was picked 4th in the C-USA West in the preseason poll. They are probably about the 7th best team in C-USA after Southern Miss, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, UCF and Marshall.

For perspective, Tulsa beat them 57-28 in El Paso last year. Southern Miss beat them 31-13 in El Paso. The only other good team they played (South Florida) also blew them out, 52-24.

I'm not saying this to predict anything about OU's season, but there's no reason to sugarcoat a bad performance by claiming that the opponent is better than they really are. UTEP is not very good. They are a mid-level C-USA team. West Virginia demonstrated what should happen when a top 10 team plays a mid-level C-USA team on Saturday.

Soonerjeepman
9/4/2012, 01:45 PM
and you beat up o a d2 team...big whoop...oh and it wasn't the 40th team that the pokes talked to...from what I read you pokes think SS was the ONLY school who would play you, Gundy himself said it was the 17th ..I'd like to see the list of the other 16.

We know we didn't perform well...but as the logic goes...who got more out of their game, us (without 3 def starters for sure) for struggling on the road to a D1 team or the pokes who played at home against a juco..with your starters only playing a quarter. We'll see some Bedlam.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/4/2012, 02:13 PM

UTEP was picked 4th in the C-USA West in the preseason poll. They are probably about the 7th best team in C-USA after Southern Miss, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, UCF and Marshall.

For perspective, Tulsa beat them 57-28 in El Paso last year. Southern Miss beat them 31-13 in El Paso. The only other good team they played (South Florida) also blew them out, 52-24.

I'm not saying this to predict anything about OU's season, but there's no reason to sugarcoat a bad performance by claiming that the opponent is better than they really are. UTEP is not very good. They are a mid-level C-USA team. West Virginia demonstrated what should happen when a top 10 team plays a mid-level C-USA team on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to Oklahoma turning Wes Lunt into Wes "Rhymes with Lunt". You really don't know what happens with starting true freshman QBs' at the collegiate level do you? You will be finding out soon. Ya'll had a nice run.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/4/2012, 02:14 PM
Bammer? Jerry World?

That was a neutral field.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/4/2012, 02:24 PM

Well we know how great preseason rankings are. The above team got beat at home by Texas State Saturday.

oSuJeff1997
9/4/2012, 02:28 PM
and you beat up o a d2 team...big whoop...oh and it wasn't the 40th team that the pokes talked to...from what I read you pokes think SS was the ONLY school who would play you, Gundy himself said it was the 17th ..I'd like to see the list of the other 16.

We know we didn't perform well...but as the logic goes...who got more out of their game, us (without 3 def starters for sure) for struggling on the road to a D1 team or the pokes who played at home against a juco..with your starters only playing a quarter. We'll see some Bedlam.

Do you even read my post, or just see my screen name and respond with your non-nonsensical gibberish?

I didn't say one thing about Savannah State in my post. I certainly haven't and won't ever try to build them up as anything more than the worst college football team I've ever seen.

And none of that has anything to do with the point I was addressing... the ridiculous notion that UTEP will "challenge for the C-USA title." The only thing they'll challenge for is 3rd or 4th place in C-USA west.

I'm looking forward to Oklahoma turning Wes Lunt into Wes "Rhymes with Lunt". You really don't know what happens with starting true freshman QBs' at the collegiate level do you? You will be finding out soon. Ya'll had a nice run.

Again, I'm not sure what this has to do with the specific point I was addressing.

Well we know how great preseason rankings are. The above team got beat at home by Texas State Saturday.

That doesn't change the fact that UTEP is a very mediocre team.

sooneron
9/4/2012, 02:32 PM
I don't think that utep is all that, but comparing the team win/losses from the previous year and saying they will be no better a year later is stupid. Some teams get better, some teams get worse. The miners do have a solid running back, so that's something.

oSuJeff1997
9/4/2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think that utep is all that, but comparing the team win/losses from the previous year and saying they will be no better a year later is stupid. Some teams get better, some teams get worse. The miners do have a solid running back, so that's something.

You're right... there are certainly no guarantees, but I was just pointing out that the people who watch C-USA the most (the media who cover them), probably know more about UTEP and the rest of the conference than the OP, who probably hasn't watched a single C-USA game in recent years other than OU-UTEP and OU-Tulsa.

And those who know picked UTEP in the middle of the conference. That doesn't mean it will come true, but it's more authoritative at this point than the OP, who deemed UTEP as a team that will "challenge for the C-USA title" based on his need to make himself feel better about a crappy performance.

sooner_born_1960
9/4/2012, 02:45 PM
Wait. oSuJeff1997 is a poke? How could you tell?

FaninAma
9/4/2012, 02:47 PM
South Carolina at Vanderbilt?

birddog
9/4/2012, 02:55 PM
purdy sure UTEP handed us our aholes in bball. these days who knows what these kids are up to. all i know is we don't have the thoroughbreds to feel confident about a bcs bowl game should we get there. the last 5-6 yrs. i see alot of excuses when we win over bad teams.

stoops brothers together again should allow us to cruise on "O" while the 'D" does their jobs.

i've gone from 27 yrs old to 38 yrs old without an NC!!! come on boys. i'm young but the gap from 85 to 2000 is too much to wait for.

sooneron
9/4/2012, 03:14 PM
You're right... there are certainly no guarantees, but I was just pointing out that the people who watch C-USA the most (the media who cover them), probably know more about UTEP and the rest of the conference than the OP, who probably hasn't watched a single C-USA game in recent years other than OU-UTEP and OU-Tulsa.

And those who know picked UTEP in the middle of the conference. That doesn't mean it will come true, but it's more authoritative at this point than the OP, who deemed UTEP as a team that will "challenge for the C-USA title" based on his need to make himself feel better about a crappy performance.
After watching two of the teams (marshall/s miss) that you (or the pundits) think will finish ahead of them, I wouldn't be so willing to write them into the middle of the standings. Still not sold on smu, either. Their issue is, their schedule.

PalmBeachSooner
9/4/2012, 03:59 PM

Poke State was picked to finish 4th in the conference last year. How did that work out?

My point is, that if you took any of the other top 10 teams and sent them on the road to open the season they probably don't look as good as they did playing at home.

PalmBeachSooner
9/4/2012, 04:02 PM
South Carolina at Vanderbilt?

True...and they struggled to a 17-13 win against VANDY!

The exception always proves the rule.