PDA

View Full Version : What I didn't learn from game 1

cccasooner2
9/3/2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NziNvguzYyM&list=PL9DA4023549850F07&index=1&feature=plpp_video

About 00:38.0

Just what the hell is a chop block anyway? The call should have been against Shead if it was to be called at all. 61 was running free from Shead when Whaley blocked 61 to protect Landry. Shead then comes up and pushes the guy over Whaley. To put that against Dom is insane.

badger
9/3/2012, 01:11 PM
Just what the hell is a chop block anyway?

I once described it to a non-football fan with a Karate Kid quote: "Sweep the leg." Not exactly what it is, but close enough :)

cccasooner2
9/3/2012, 01:20 PM
I once described it to a non-football fan with a Karate Kid quote: "Sweep the leg." Not exactly what it is, but close enough :)

So with ample time to review the play, it was a sweep of the leg then? :D

Curly Bill
9/3/2012, 01:43 PM
Shead was pushing the UTEP guy up high, at the same time Whaley took out the guy's legs. Definitely a chop block. It doesn't matter the guy had got past Shead, Shead still had his hands on the dude pushing him from behind.

cccasooner2
9/3/2012, 02:35 PM
Shead was pushing the UTEP guy up high, at the same time Whaley took out the guy's legs. Definitely a chop block. It doesn't matter the guy had got past Shead, Shead still had his hands on the dude pushing him from behind.

So, I guess what you're saying is that Whaley should have stepped aside and let nature take its course?

TheUnnamedSooner
9/3/2012, 04:03 PM
So, I guess what you're saying is that Whaley should have stepped aside and let nature take its course?

I think if Whaley would have engaged the guy up high instead of taking out his legs, there probably wouldn't have been a penalty. At least that's my interpretation.

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2012, 04:10 PM

It's just one of those things that happens - clearly not intentional. Whaley thought the guy had beaten Shead and tried to cut him. The only way out is for Whaley to engage the guy high and then it's just a double team. Or for Shead to let him go if he anticipated Whaley to pick him up like that. But these things happen fast.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 05:43 PM
A chop block occurs when a defender is already engaged with a blocker, and a second blocker then engages either high or low (the opposite of the first defender).

The call was weak, but correct. Whaley had the defender blocked, and Shead barely had his hands on him. But, it technically was a chop block.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 05:43 PM

You're thinking of a "cut block".

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 05:57 PM
In the day, we called that tripping...

Well that, and tripping...

hawaii 5-0
9/3/2012, 06:05 PM
When I saw it I thought Shead had already lost contact with the defensive guy.

I thought it was weak, tho I didn't look at the replay closely.

5-0