PDA

View Full Version : Here's why Roy Finch didn't see a single snap on offense Saturday

All_Day_28
9/3/2012, 12:03 PM
I was wondering this myself during the game...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8331547/roy-finch-oklahoma-sooners-play-vs-utep-miners

badger
9/3/2012, 12:03 PM
About 8 years ago (Jason White's final year), I snuck past a few doors in OU's indoor practice facility and saw some displays they had going --- one hallway had the team captains. One side of the wall had player photos in practice. The other side had them in games.

In a nutshell, our coaches strongly value practice performance and if you don't perform in practice all week, you're not gonna see the field much on Saturday.

All_Day_28
9/3/2012, 12:07 PM
Does my link not work or something? Worked for me.. I don't post a lot so...

badger
9/3/2012, 12:09 PM
Does my link not work or something? Worked for me.. I don't post a lot so...

It appeared in a weird format at first. It appears now!

All_Day_28
9/3/2012, 12:11 PM
It appeared in a weird format at first. It appears now!

Ok I see.. well thx

BigTip
9/3/2012, 12:25 PM
So, another talent wasted because of attitude. Sad.
Hopefully he'll pull his head out and "join" the team.

badger
9/3/2012, 01:10 PM
So, another talent wasted because of attitude. Sad.
Hopefully he'll pull his head out and "join" the team.

We are past the era where coaches could make players eat mud till their attitudes changed. The ousters of successful coaches Jim Leavitt (South Florida), Mike Leach (Texas Tech) and Mark Mangino (Kansas) showed us that... not that they made players eat mud, but even accusations, founded or not, of such treatment caused them to get driven out.

So, the only way coaches can get through to players is to control playing time.

85sooners
9/3/2012, 02:29 PM
He will straighten up if he wants to play

Blue
9/3/2012, 02:48 PM
coaches don't "trust" anybody. Well thats great. I'm starting to not "trust" these coaches who have so many damn problems with discipline.

MsProudSooner
9/3/2012, 04:24 PM
coaches don't "trust" anybody. Well thats great. I'm starting to not "trust" these coaches who have so many damn problems with discipline.

I read an article recently that commented on the way kids are raised today. Some parents have gone so far overboard on the positive reinforcement and attempting to build their kid's self-esteem that when these kids reach college or the work world their work ethic is non-existent and they can't even function without constant praise.

thunderfan
9/3/2012, 05:05 PM
Stoops needs to get his house in order or he'll be kickin' rocks soon enough

BigTip
9/3/2012, 05:27 PM
I read an article recently that commented on the way kids are raised today. Some parents have gone so far overboard on the positive reinforcement and attempting to build their kid's self-esteem that when these kids reach college or the work world their work ethic is non-existent and they can't even function without constant praise.

Yup. My kid wants a trophy just for getting his butt to school each morning.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 05:32 PM
Stoops addressed this today in his press conference. He said there was no specific reason that Finch didn't play other than they play the guys the think are ready. It's going to be hard for him to see playing time is he can't be better than Whaley, Damien Williams, Stills or Shepard.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 05:33 PM

You're as dumb as you were before.

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 07:07 PM
So, you endorse dip****s ****ing up the works? That's what I'm reading here.

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 07:08 PM
You're as dumb as you were before.

Nah, dumber. That's what happens when you watch your old lady gobbling goo. Especially when it ain't yours.

Too soon?

olevetonahill
9/3/2012, 07:12 PM
Nah, dumber. That's what happens when you watch your old lady gobbling goo. Especially when it ain't yours.

Too soon?

Dean, If this ws CK acting this way, What would you have already done?

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 07:16 PM
I know Howie, but marty is so ****ing stupid it's semi-entertaining. Especially this early in the year. No?

And by "entertaining" I meant pathetic/lame/neutered/spayed. But we already knew all that.

olevetonahill
9/3/2012, 07:23 PM
I know Howie, but marty is so ****ing stupid it's semi-entertaining. Especially this early in the year. No?

And by "entertaining" I meant pathetic/lame/neutered/spayed. But we already knew all that.
I always Liked him before .
Now its Like he just wants to be another CK
Not real original when I spotted him after 9 posts

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 07:24 PM
It took 9?

olevetonahill
9/3/2012, 07:26 PM
It took 9?

Knew it was a troll right off, Just didnt see em all at 1st so Yea By the 9th I was pretty sure who it was .

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 07:30 PM

Too soon?

Not for marty.

thunderfan
9/4/2012, 06:16 AM
It's never too soon Dean especially since you cancelled tailgates because you knew I was gonna beat your *** for running your mouth.

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 06:46 AM
It's never too soon Dean especially since you cancelled tailgates because you knew I was gonna beat your *** for running your mouth.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/343313257_e02f570ce5.jpg

swardboy
9/4/2012, 07:01 AM
Train wreck!

picasso
9/4/2012, 07:35 AM
I'm betting his house is in better shape than yours.

Soonermagik
9/4/2012, 08:54 AM
Finch is a hybrid player. The problem is we have backs on the team that are better all around I.e. pass blocking, better at running inside etc.. At the slot, other guys are bigger targets and run better routes. With that said, Finch in the open field is shifty and dangerous. I think he's just too elusive not to see the field.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2012, 09:29 AM
Finch is a hybrid player...

Then we should be getting better mileage from him.

Soonermagik
9/4/2012, 10:28 AM
Then we should be getting better mileage from him.

I think in the eyes of the coaches they see him as a jack of all trades, but a master at none. I would like to see them give him a chance, but he has some really good players in front of him.

Dan Thompson
9/4/2012, 10:40 AM
" Finch's inadequate attention to detail -- especially in pass protecting for Landry Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377845/landry-jones) -- was the most given explanation."

I never understood how at 5' 7" 175 pound , Finch is going to have any effect on a DE or a LB.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2012, 11:02 AM
I think in the eyes of the coaches they see him as a jack of all trades, but a master at none. I would like to see them give him a chance, but he has some really good players in front of him.

That was just my lame attempt at a joke. Hybrid (car) - better (gas) mileage? Nevermind...

Soonermagik
9/4/2012, 11:21 AM
That was just my lame attempt at a joke. Hybrid (car) - better (gas) mileage? Nevermind...

LOL... I guess I wasn't paying attention.

jthomas666
9/4/2012, 01:00 PM
You play like you practice. While there are certainly some players who can slack off in practice and still perform at a high level (Shaun Alexander springs to mind), you don't want to encourage that sort of behavior, because the other players might get it into their heads that they don't need to practice either.

That fundamental lack of discipline was one of the biggest problems Mike Shula had at Alabama, and one of the first things Saban had to fix.

If Stoops needs to drop the hammer, so be it. The team will be better for it in the long run.

SoonerNomad
9/4/2012, 03:49 PM
I like him not playing if he is not practicing hard. Especially a veteran guy who had the same problem in 2011. However, I would love to see Finch back on the field if only to hear Matt Millen compare him to Joe Washington again.

Roy Finch = fine player

Joe Washington = multiple time All American, difference maker

Matt Millen = king of hyperbole

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 05:31 PM

Marty has BIG internet muscles.

toast
9/4/2012, 05:37 PM
" Finch's inadequate attention to detail -- especially in pass protecting for Landry Jones (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/377845/landry-jones) -- was the most given explanation."

I never understood how at 5' 7" 175 pound , Finch is going to have any effect on a DE or a LB.

Didn't seem to bother Q much or keep him off the field.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 05:59 PM

Yep. Size really doesn't mean a player is automatically going to be a bad blocker. It's all about leverage. Some guys got it (MJD), and some don't.

SoonerDood
9/4/2012, 08:37 PM

This

wishbonesooner
9/4/2012, 08:41 PM
A lot of guys seem to want it more than Roy. If he can't put in the work, he can sit his butt on the bench.

BlownGP
9/4/2012, 11:32 PM
Sucks, it has to be finch. He reminds of my saints and Darren Sproles. If he's on the field, you better know where he is..

SoonerNomad
9/5/2012, 12:27 PM
Please don't mention Darren Sproles again. I am still not over December 6, 2003 and I have actively rooted against him in San Diego and now in N'awlins. Having said that, Damn! He's pretty good!