PDA

View Full Version : what I learned from game one

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 07:55 AM
The sea is awash with drama queens, whiney bitches, and doomsdaying naysayers.

I cannot express the depth of pity I feel for so many of you whose entire existence is predicated on one lousy ball game. The end is not near, no matter how much you complain. Sheez ****ing Louise.

soonerloyal
9/3/2012, 07:57 AM
Need a hug?

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 08:05 AM
Nah, but I'll take a beej.

soonerloyal
9/3/2012, 08:08 AM
Testy in the a.m., aren't ya? :cupcake:

OUinFLA
9/3/2012, 08:24 AM
us old guys are testy all day

MyT Oklahoma
9/3/2012, 08:29 AM
It is what it is. What time is the game next Saturday?

thunderfan
9/3/2012, 08:51 AM
you started a thread to post that?
you are more pathetic and craving attention than one previously thought.
It's a message board.
Get over yourself.
Oh wait, just ban those with a different opinion.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/3/2012, 08:57 AM
It's a message board.
Get over yourself.

Dude, settle down.

zeke
9/3/2012, 08:58 AM
Take that pity and stick it up your butt.

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 09:14 AM
Blow me Marty.

Ton Loc
9/3/2012, 09:27 AM
Strange how often we learn the same thing every year after the first game.

RiddlerOK
9/3/2012, 10:22 AM
Strange how often we learn the same thing every year after the first game.

Yep, we're predictable. Set your clock by us.......

Soonermagik
9/3/2012, 10:29 AM
No kidding, it's the first game of the year. Our defense allowed 0 points and our secondary looked pretty solid. I wish the offense had been in more sync, but I realize it's game 1.

BigTip
9/3/2012, 10:36 AM
This is the same thing you said last year, chastising those of us that said they didn't like what we saw. But in those first few games, things just didn't seem exactly right, things were not clicking. And sure enough the year did not turn out so well.

So let me work out in my mind the fact that this might not be "the" year. Then it won't hurt so much if we do indeed falter...........

.......even though I am sure that we will go undefeated this year!

http://derbyimages.woot.com/Frostbiter/Rose-Colored_Glasses-acnidt-d.jpg

badger
9/3/2012, 10:48 AM

I cannot express the depth of pity I feel for so many of you whose entire existence is predicated on one lousy ball game. The end is not near, no matter how much you complain. Sheez ****ing Louise.

I went to bed after UTEP scored.

Baby Badger woke me up (with no binky nearby) at midnight-ish, so I peeked at the score when I went to find one. We were only up 10-7.

However, since Baby Badger and me have both been ill lately, I didn't lose any sleep over the closeness of the game.

Whining about football? Have a baby. You'll be too sleep-deprived to care.

C&CDean
9/3/2012, 11:00 AM
I say it every year because I just can't believe there are this many "sooner fans" that can't handle a little adversity.

Did we look like Alabama? Nope. Then again, we weren't playing a ranked team on national tv during humanly hours. Low def, poor opponent, season opener, etc.

I'll take that win early in the year rather than a craptastic loss in November. It's like a ton of y'all expect a team with half the starting lines laid up with injuries and the stupid bug to blow holes and stop the run on every play.

This is a solid team. How solid? Don't know yet. How about we wait and find out instead of having 1k+ posts of "galdang team sucks. Landry sucks. Big game bob sucks. We're doomed"

Ad nauseum.

Y'all ain't having no fun.

olevetonahill
9/3/2012, 11:01 AM
Ill drank to that. Im all for havin fun and watchin OU

jk the sooner fan
9/3/2012, 11:09 AM
party time!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B9gAdKGDsI

Tulsa_Fireman
9/3/2012, 11:13 AM
FIRE DEAN

badger
9/3/2012, 11:30 AM
I wonder if the complainers are the ones that put money on OU to beat the spread... I assume we didn't beat Mr. Spread. Ohhhh, that Mr. Spread! He's a reeeeeal tough opponent! Boo Mr. Spread. Stop beating OU. :mad:

En_Fuego
9/3/2012, 11:36 AM
I think if Bob were to beotch slap Landry before the game he would lose some of the deer in the headlights look.

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p585/Gidiggly/Angry/slap.gif

badger
9/3/2012, 11:43 AM
I think if Bob were to beotch slap Landry before the game he would lose some of the deer in the headlights look.

In 20-something years, Landry Jones Jr. will have all of the competitiveness of mother Whitney and none of the deer-in-headlights look of Landry. However, Jr. will still look like a big dork. But, he will win the Heisman that his dad didn't.

And also win the Naismith as a two-sport star.

OU alums will argue whether we should have two Landrys on campus - one in Heisman Park, one next to Blake Griffin's statue (because he won the Naismith also).

Eh, that's all I got.

IronHorseSooner
9/3/2012, 12:09 PM
I say it every year because I just can't believe there are this many "sooner fans" that can't handle a little adversity.

Did we look like Alabama? Nope. Then again, we weren't playing a ranked team on national tv during humanly hours. Low def, poor opponent, season opener, etc.

I'll take that win early in the year rather than a craptastic loss in November. It's like a ton of y'all expect a team with half the starting lines laid up with injuries and the stupid bug to blow holes and stop the run on every play.

This is a solid team. How solid? Don't know yet. How about we wait and find out instead of having 1k+ posts of "galdang team sucks. Landry sucks. Big game bob sucks. We're doomed"

Ad nauseum.

Dean, as always, you are right on the money. It seemed as if we were just a click off-synch, especially on STs and O. The blocked punt, IMHO, had to do with having a new long-snapper who misjudged the snap count. We don't have that happen, UTEP doesn't have momentum. Tress, who could very well play on Sundays, mishandled a snap on a FG. He corrected it the next time. Metoyer inexplicably steps out of bounds on a TD. Dom unnecessarily chop-blocks a guy on a long pass play inside of the 10. All of things point to guys who are either new at what they do (Tress, Daniel Franklin, Metoyer) or who are coming back from really bad injuries (Dom). It's little things. We don't have those brain cramps, we win by 38 going away. These are all correctable. On the only significant offensive play of the night for UTEP, we have the runner bottled up, but Aaron Franklin misses the tackle in the backfield. If that doesn't happen, they don't get 200 yards of offense. Again, this is another little thing by a new guy, also correctable. I am not stating that there are things to work on, but geez, let's put this in perspective.

Let's just say that the phrase that the coaches should use this week, and I have confidence that they will, will be "attention to detail." Bob even said so much as his biggest complaint was sloppiness. We played a highly-motivated opponent who had all off=season to prepare, and their O still didn't sniff the end zone. Even the mighty powers of the SEC couldn't do that at home at a normal time to the likes of Buffalo, BGSU, and North Texas. Not even the darlings of WVU, USC, and Uterus could do that Marshall, Hawaii, nor Wyoming (respectively). They were also, all at home during decent hours.

BigTip
9/3/2012, 12:29 PM
I wonder if the complainers are the ones that put money on OU to beat the spread... I assume we didn't beat Mr. Spread. Ohhhh, that Mr. Spread! He's a reeeeeal tough opponent! Boo Mr. Spread. Stop beating OU. :mad:

Argghh! Not only did I lose 200 vcash to Mr Spread, now I have to be berated for it!!

Wait'll next week.. grrrrrrrr.

the_ouskull
9/3/2012, 12:50 PM
No kidding, it's the first game of the year. Our defense allowed 0 points and our secondary looked pretty solid. I wish the offense had been in more sync, but I realize it's game 1.

Our secondary looked pretty solid against a running team with no legitimate threats at WR. You also say, "I wish the offense had been in more sync." This comment implies that, at some point, our offense was in-sync at all. I know the game ended late, and that I'm pretty old, but I stayed up for all of it, and I'm STILL waiting for that offense to be in-sync with something other than 3-and-outs. Am I doomcrying? No. But, am I pointing out "issues" that could very easily evolve into "problems" for this team. Absolutely, I am. If that makes me a bad fan, then I'm a ****TY one after that game, 'cause we had a LOT of "issues."

the_ouskull

birddog
9/3/2012, 12:55 PM
on the road doesn't bode well for young players. it only takes a few dudes not "getting it"
to make a game look really ugly.

not sure we'll fare better on the road this year, yet once again. it always seems to take a special group of players to win it all and i think we have way too many underclassmen to mesh this year and get the job done.
of course that will never stop me from watching the SOONERS.

tooslow
9/3/2012, 01:42 PM
The defense was definitely a bright spot. UTEP finished last year ranked 59th in team offense, which is not terrible by any means. ST coach has been on the wish list for years, so no need to waste more than a sentence on ST. The offense definitely has issues. Hopefully they can get them fixed, but it's not looking good. Playing against last year's 119th ranked defense (re: second to last in FBS,) scoring should not have been an issue. Unfortunately, the next game (>50-0 is almost a given,) will tell us nothing, other than produce euphoric emotions resulting in posts about the UTEP game being a fluke. ;)

Curly Bill
9/3/2012, 01:45 PM
I don't know which is worse, the whiners, or those that whine about the whiners?

85sooners
9/3/2012, 02:17 PM
Boomer!

marfacowboy
9/3/2012, 02:30 PM

I said, "based on what I'm seeing now, we could lose three or four games." Based on what we saw Saturday, I don't see how you couldn't think that. Of course, things can change. We'll get a DL back, the timing with the receivers will improve and the OL will get better. The most shocking thing was the special teams. Worst I've ever seen.
If the OL doesn't get better, we'll have to play Bell more in a run/throw option offense. We have Kansas St. at home, so that helps, but they better get this **** fixed before Lubbock and certainly before Dallas.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/3/2012, 02:39 PM
Argghh! Not only did I lose 200 vcash to Mr Spread, now I have to be berated for it!!

Wait'll next week.. grrrrrrrr.

200? I lost 15,000!

Good thing it isn't real.

Also, if the Sooners have 3 more rushing yards I would have come out on the positive end.

Blue
9/3/2012, 02:40 PM
In 20-something years, Landry Jones Jr. will have all of the competitiveness of mother Whitney and none of the deer-in-headlights look of Landry. However, Jr. will still look like a big dork. But, he will win the Heisman that his dad didn't.

And also win the Naismith as a two-sport star.

OU alums will argue whether we should have two Landrys on campus - one in Heisman Park, one next to Blake Griffin's statue (because he won the Naismith also).

Eh, that's all I got.

Get some sleep, Badger.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/3/2012, 02:40 PM
This is the same thing you said last year, chastising those of us that said they didn't like what we saw. But in those first few games, things just didn't seem exactly right, things were not clicking. And sure enough the year did not turn out so well.

So let me work out in my mind the fact that this might not be "the" year. Then it won't hurt so much if we do indeed falter...........

.......even though I am sure that we will go undefeated this year!

LJ is good. has lotsa talent and has improved his footwork a lot it seems, but possibly isn't a good enough team leader. I'm glad about Bell and Thompson coming back.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/3/2012, 02:41 PM
I said, "based on what I'm seeing now, we could lose three or four games." Based on what we saw Saturday, I don't see how you couldn't think that. Of course, things can change. We'll get a DL back, the timing with the receivers will improve and the OL will get better. The most shocking thing was the special teams. Worst I've ever seen.
If the OL doesn't get better, we'll have to play Bell more in a run/throw option offense. We have Kansas St. at home, so that helps, but they better get this **** fixed before Lubbock and certainly before Dallas.

What is this "we" nonsense? You're a Poke!

9/3/2012, 02:45 PM

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p585/Gidiggly/Angry/slap.gifYES!

marfacowboy
9/3/2012, 02:55 PM
What is this "we" nonsense? You're a Poke!

**** you. I've never pulled for them in my life. Did you watch the ****ing game? "WE" means any that watched the goddamn game.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 03:21 PM
It's always funny to be on here during a game.

I figure some of the posts are therapeutic for some folks, and just let it roll. There are however, a few complete morons that post here. In their minds, they are better than anyone on the coaching staff at OU, including and especially HCBS.

It's always a good time when you go back and re-read the game thread.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 03:22 PM
**** you. I've never pulled for them in my life. Did you watch the ****ing game? "WE" means any that watched the goddamn game.

Easy.

I thought you were a poke too for a while. You have "cowboy" in your name and your spek is all red. I'm guessing that's what S.PadreIsland thought too.

marfacowboy
9/3/2012, 03:31 PM
Easy.

I thought you were a poke too for a while. You have "cowboy" in your name and your spek is all red. I'm guessing that's what S.PadreIsland thought too.

Oh, you can thank Curly the ********** for that. He neg speks liberals.

badger
9/3/2012, 03:43 PM

I gave you some green but it didn't help, hehe

marfacowboy
9/3/2012, 03:52 PM

I haven't lost a wink of sleep over it, but thanks.

SoonerofAlabama
9/3/2012, 03:58 PM
I honestly believe the offense will be a lot better and that we were only running a very small portion of our playbook.

tooslow
9/3/2012, 04:12 PM
"based on what I'm seeing now, we could lose three or four games."

That may be a little generous, since we lost 3 games last year and, just 1 game into the season, we look nowhere near as strong overall as we looked after 1 game last year. Key emphasis on, "just one game into the season."

Soonermagik
9/3/2012, 04:22 PM
That may be a little generous, since we lost 3 games last year and, just 1 game into the season, we look nowhere near as strong overall as we looked after 1 game last year. Key emphasis on, "just one game into the season."

Our secondary looked pretty solid against a running team with no legitimate threats at WR. You also say, "I wish the offense had been in more sync." This comment implies that, at some point, our offense was in-sync at all. I know the game ended late, and that I'm pretty old, but I stayed up for all of it, and I'm STILL waiting for that offense to be in-sync with something other than 3-and-outs. Am I doomcrying? No. But, am I pointing out "issues" that could very easily evolve into "problems" for this team. Absolutely, I am. If that makes me a bad fan, then I'm a ****TY one after that game, 'cause we had a LOT of "issues."

the_ouskull

What I meant was it seemed like the offense was trying to run the no-huddle and when they did things clicked. It almost seemed like the offense couldn't get to the line fast enough. I think UTEP hurt them some with their cramping.. some of it probably real some of it probably was a delay tactic. The bomb to Kenny Stills looked good. I saw some positive things out of Justin Brown and Trey Metoyer. I'll be honest, though. When you lose several starters on the offensive line you are going to have problems... especially in game 1. Not to mention, the loss of the TE Grissom who was supposed to get the majority of the snaps.

On the defensive side of the ball without having McGee and Walker we gave up a lot of rushing yards... a lot of that had to do with them being out. Also, our secondary played awesome without the D-line getting tons of pressure. I think there's a lot to look forward to. Let's see the progression over the next few games and go from there.

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2012, 04:23 PM
What we didn't learn is who is available on the D-line. Walker is dealing with personal issues and I've seen a few rumors posted it could be for the whole season (I did say RUMOR, take it with much salt). McGee is still suspended indefinitely without an explanation of what he did and what he has to do to get back on the field. Those are 2 big questions.

8timechamps
9/3/2012, 05:39 PM
What we didn't learn is who is available on the D-line. Walker is dealing with personal issues and I've seen a few rumors posted it could be for the whole season (I did say RUMOR, take it with much salt). McGee is still suspended indefinitely without an explanation of what he did and what he has to do to get back on the field. Those are 2 big questions.

Walker and McGee are definitely both out for FAMU. Then we get a bye, which may be a good thing. Since we don't know what's really going on with Walker, there's no way to know how long he'll be gone. I thought King and McFarland did a good job overall. I'd still like to see Anderson and Phillips (and I'm sure we will this week).

King played every snap on defense, which is pretty amazing at that position. I'm sure the plan was to get Phillips and Anderson in more, but given the way the game unfolded, there wasn't a lot of time to try out new players.

TXBOOMER
9/3/2012, 05:45 PM
Nah, but I'll take a beej.

LMAO!!!

hawaii 5-0
9/3/2012, 06:01 PM
I noticed that Justin Brown doesn't like to go down on 1st contact. I pray he doesn't get his head taken off.

He's gonna help us this year.

5-0

olevetonahill
9/3/2012, 06:08 PM

Not Just Libs, I heard he hates *******s also.

SouthFortySooner
9/3/2012, 08:06 PM
I was just happy to be watchin'em play. I want them to score every play on offense and stuff for a loss every play on D. But I'm a happy guy watchin.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/3/2012, 11:29 PM
Dean,

And I mean this, only as I could mean it:

FAHR HEUPEL!!!

DOOMED!

:D

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/4/2012, 12:19 AM
Well pity me this, tomorrow I have to go to work for my snot-nosed USC alum supervisor who will be all like "Really? From like the 4th ranked team in like the nation? And also, like MATT BARKLEY."

Please, someone give me some Hawaii vs UTEP stats I can fire back with. Within the next 9 hours. TIA.

Ton Loc
9/4/2012, 07:35 AM
Tell him to F off and remind him his team is about to be under NCAA investigation again.

BillyBall
9/4/2012, 08:59 AM
Well pity me this, tomorrow I have to go to work for my snot-nosed USC alum supervisor who will be all like "Really? From like the 4th ranked team in like the nation? And also, like MATT BARKLEY."

Please, someone give me some Hawaii vs UTEP stats I can fire back with. Within the next 9 hours. TIA.

They kicked the **** out of Hawaii and looked pretty solid. I'm not sure that's what you are looking for though...

goingoneight
9/4/2012, 09:45 AM
I do say, it's time we fire our fan base coordinator.

My main complaint was our wussified Nevada look on offense. But, it is what it is. It's clear that our guys are aware of their issues after you watch the PC and the coaches shows. Hopefully getting some of our boneheads back from suspension will help out. I know experience always does from week 1 to week 2.

badger
9/4/2012, 09:46 AM
You should set your status as "NOT a Poke fan" or something, hehe

FaninAma
9/4/2012, 10:02 AM
Dean, I didn't get to watch the game since I was working a late shift in Ft. Worth. From what I heard I thought the team looked horrible but then I watched the replays and wondered if it was the same game. Most definitley the offense's timing was off but the defense looked really good and was flying to the ball again like they did in prior to 2002. And there were no receivers sitting down in the middle of OU's zone with a defender 5 yards away.

I think the offense's timing will get there. I actually liked what I saw. But that is just me.

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 10:13 AM

As much as you cry about it Ima call BS

Mississippi Sooner
9/4/2012, 10:32 AM
I never logged in to the site this weekend. Partly, that was because I was chillin' in Pensacola, and it was partly because I knew that anything less than a 50 point blowout was going to send a lot of folks into meltdown mode.

But that got me to thinking about how many people actually looked at the video STEP posted early last week of our first game from 2000. If you only looked at that game against UTEP, you would never, in a million years, bet that Sooners team would go on to roll through Texas, Nebraska and K-State on its way to an undefeated season and national title. Not saying this year's team is capable of that, but it's clear evidence that you can't make too much of the first game of the year in college football.

Sooner in Tampa
9/4/2012, 11:08 AM
Sorry guys...ain't buyin most the sunshine being pumped up our asses!!!

U****INTEP sucks...and sucks BAD. I watched USF beat the livin daylights out of them last year 52-24...and it wasn't that close.

24 pts against a sorry *** defense like that...blah

sooner_born_1960
9/4/2012, 11:14 AM
I always thought marfa was a poke.

sooner_born_1960
9/4/2012, 11:16 AM
If the powers that be want to let you change your username, I'd be cool with it.

Salt City Sooner
9/4/2012, 11:59 AM

U****INTEP sucks...and sucks BAD. I watched USF beat the livin daylights out of them last year 52-24...and it wasn't that close.

Because everbody knows that teams can't change from year to year? To wit:

In 2010, OU struggles mightily in the opener, downing a Utah State team that would go on to finish 4-8, by a 31-24 count.

In 2011, the opening game sees OU barely break a sweat in blasting Tulsa 47-14. The 'canes would go on to win 8 games (& it was only that few due to being ridiculously over-scheduled in their OOC).

Obviously, OU won the Big 12 in 2011 & not in 2010, right? Whoops........

I'm not saying which will or will not be the case in 2012. What I AM saying is, OU fans to let the season play out before finding the nearest bridge to jump off.

MojoRisen
9/4/2012, 12:36 PM
We got three weeks of practice and a tune up game to work on things - that is like an entire spring!

thecrimsoncrusader
9/4/2012, 12:39 PM

Oklahoma was 7-5 in 1999 and 13-0 in 2000. The relevance of the previous year is ZERO.

marfacowboy
9/4/2012, 12:49 PM
I always thought marfa was a poke.

I never thought about that **** when I signed on here. Guess I should have....my major area of concentration in my History degree was western cultural history (cowboy culture, the Chiricahua and Comanche, economic history of the west, etc.) My wife and I go to Marfa quite a bit for writing and art events, so that's the relevant background. Never once thought about the aggies connection.

cccasooner2
9/4/2012, 01:02 PM
I never thought about that **** when I signed on here. Guess I should have....my major area of concentration in my History degree was western cultural history (cowboy culture, the Chiricahua and Comanche, economic history of the west, etc.) My wife and I go to Marfa quite a bit for writing and art events, so that's the relevant background. Never once thought about the aggies connection.

What an idiot. :D

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 01:18 PM

:excitement::excitement:

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2012, 01:30 PM
It's a message board.
Get over yourself.

Oh man . . . . . :victorious:

possumfat
9/4/2012, 01:30 PM
I learned as a team we look about the same as the end of last year.....................confused, out of rythym, same QB issues, same blocking & tackling issues, same lack of enthusiasm. But the secondary did play better. Question is will be get better or have new issues and setbacks every week.

I have conditioned myself for the worse, been on this ride before and the ups and downs are a killer. Hate to admit this but I'm losing faith in the coaching staff.

MojoRisen
9/4/2012, 01:48 PM
Lets see how we look against Kstate - We have 15 practices and a tune up game... That is a lot of time to get people reps and totally improve - almost like Bowl Month...

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2012, 01:51 PM
I don't know which is worse, the whiners, or those that whine about the whiners?

The whiners?

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2012, 01:53 PM
I learned as a team we look about the same as the end of last year.....................confused, out of rythym, same QB issues, same blocking & tackling issues, same lack of enthusiasm. But the secondary did play better. Question is will be get better or have new issues and setbacks every week.

I have conditioned myself for the worse, been on this ride before and the ups and downs are a killer. Hate to admit this but I'm losing faith in the coaching staff.

I used to live and die with Oklahoma football . . . not anymore. Life is too short to get all bent out of shape about this stuff . . . they haven't been dominant in years. Nothing I saw Saturday has changed my mind about that at all.

marfacowboy
9/4/2012, 01:55 PM

Yeah, maybe so. My academic and professional record certainly backs up your opinion.
As they say, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Sooner91ATL
9/4/2012, 02:40 PM
What I've learned over the past 4 years is to adjust expectations and then the proper perspective for enjoyment of the season arrives. expect a national championship? No. Expect a big 12 championship? every other year. Expect 2-3 losses, one of them inexplicable? yes. Expect subpar early season play? yes. Expect improvement middle part of the season? yes. Expect stagnation latter part of the season? yes. expect less than I hope for? yes.

If one starts with the expectations that we are a team that has experienced a slowdown in recruiting over the last few years, has lack of depth at key positions, has a quarterback who is good but not great, has a true ranking someplace around 20-25 in the country, has coaching flexibility issues, has a smaller than believed margin of talent over most teams it plays, and will have to play fairly high level football every game in the Big 12 to avoid a loss, then expectations are about right for an enjoyable season in Soonerland. Any higher expectations result in disappointment much of the time.

Sooner in Tampa
9/4/2012, 02:58 PM
Obviously, OU won the Big 12 in 2011 & not in 2010, right? Whoops........

I'm not saying which will or will not be the case in 2012. What I AM saying is, OU fans to let the season play out before finding the nearest bridge to jump off.

UTEP is garbage, pure and simple.

I am not that worked up about it...maybe that is the saddest part...I just don't expect that much out of my team this year. We may or may not win the Big XII...it's a tough road to hoe. If we don't do something about the O-Line, we won't.

I am really middle of the road on all of this...ain't thinking about smashin nothing...and I ain't pumpin sunshine telling everybody it's ok

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2012, 03:06 PM
here's what I learned

i'd bet any amount of money that Stoops will do everything in his power to ever start at game at 9:30 at night - ever again

there was a fair amount of suckage on the field - but i really have to believe the start time had a lot to do with it.....and yes, i realize UTEP started at the same time -but they had the benefit of the home crowd, home field, etc...all that emotional energy they showed in the first quarter quickly dissipated

9/4/2012, 03:11 PM

I am not that worked up about it...maybe that is the saddest part...I just don't expect that much out of my team this year. We may or may not win the Big XII...it's a tough road to hoe. If we don't do something about the O-Line, we won't.

I am really middle of the road on all of this...ain't thinking about smashin nothing...and I ain't pumpin sunshine telling everybody it's okPretty much my sentiments, too. Mike Stoops and Kish will have to show their worth, and prolly we'll need to improve on the O-line at least.

possumfat
9/4/2012, 04:26 PM
Very accurate summary of the situation! The expectations you listed are real, OU is still a good program but we seem to be aveage or good in these areas of late.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 05:21 PM

I am really middle of the road on all of this...ain't thinking about smashin nothing...and I ain't pumpin sunshine telling everybody it's ok

Here's the deal, you can't tell anything after week one. Should we have blown out UTEP? Probably. Should we have blown out UAB or Utah State? Probably. Our performance in week one never reflects how good we are. That being said, I haven't really been sure what to expect this year, other than a run at the conference title. No real reason to think that won't be the case.

Oh, and I'm usually a pretty big sunshine pumper, but I haven't seen any of that yet. So I'm not sure where you've been seeing/hearing it.

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah, maybe so. My academic and professional record certainly backs up your opinion.
As they say, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

You are always Bragging about these Accomplishments, Yet you never say exactly what they are. Why is that I wonder?

Al Gore
9/4/2012, 06:04 PM
I learned that Mrs. AG needs to have her Sooner bra and panties on before the game and none of this changing into them at half time bs.....

marfacowboy
9/4/2012, 06:08 PM
You are always Bragging about these Accomplishments, Yet you never say exactly what they are. Why is that I wonder?
Not really. I never meant to "brag" about what I've done professionally. I only mentioned my background to show that I have been an entrepreneur, raised money, run a business and sold a business. Only to show I know I was qualified to comment on "over-regulation" and "job creation."
I did ok professionally, but it was hard. I didn't make crap for the first 15 years of my so-called "career." I was a good student, but didn't have enough money to do what I wanted to do. I did go to good schools as long as I could afford it.
My greatest accomplishment has been my family. I'm proud I've been married 27 years to a wonderful wife, and of my three children. Had it not been for my wife, I probably wouldn't have done a goddamn thing. I would have been a drug addicted, drunk, failed poet and flung myself off a bridge.

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 06:11 PM
Not really. I never meant to "brag" about what I've done professionally. I only mentioned my background to show that I have been an entrepreneur, raised money, run a business and sold a business. Only to show I know I was qualified to comment on "over-regulation" and "job creation."
I did ok professionally, but it was hard. I didn't make crap for the first 15 years of my so-called "career." I was a good student, but didn't have enough money to do what I wanted to do. I did go to good schools as long as I could afford it.
My greatest accomplishment has been my family. I'm proud I've been married 27 years to a wonderful wife, and of my three children. Had it not been for my wife, I probably wouldn't have done a goddamn thing. I would have been a drug addicted, drunk, failed poet and flung myself off a bridge.

Dayum You Mrs. Marfa, You could have spared all of us, Yet look at what you've done :tongue:

Soonermagik
9/4/2012, 06:16 PM

Maybe you should keep that last part on the table. :)

marfacowboy
9/4/2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe you should keep that last part on the table. :)

Some days I do.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 06:18 PM
I learned that Mrs. AG needs to have her Sooner bra and panties on before the game and none of this changing into them at half time bs.....

For the first time in a looooong time, I didn't have anything with an OU logo on for the UTEP game. I blame myself and your wife...

9/4/2012, 06:22 PM
For the first time in a looooong time, I didn't have anything with an OU logo on for the UTEP game. I blame myself and your wife...I had an OU tee shirt from last yr's insight Bowl. Maybe that was a misttake...but at least we won.

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 06:23 PM
For the first time in a looooong time, I didn't have anything with an OU logo on for the UTEP game. I blame myself and your wife...

She could have let You wear either the Bra OR panties , selfish yainch

olevetonahill
9/4/2012, 06:25 PM
Whomsoever is spekin Me needs to sign it, I cant tell whos a doing it

rainiersooner
9/4/2012, 08:21 PM

Ad nauseum.

There's like 5 pages of posts here and I just got to this one and at the risk of sounding like a kiss-a**, ^^^this. I was pretty shocked at what I saw during the game and it didn't seem very good. And 5, 10 years ago, I would have been pacing the room, cursing, throwing sh*t at the tv. But, I was watching the game with my 9 year old son and I realized I was having fun, just being with him. Does that mean I'm not a real fan? Who knows. I learned a long time ago not to get too emotionally wrapped up in the actions of a bunch of 19, 20 and 21/22 year old kids. Because then it's not fun. And I can't control it. And whether I'm pissed off, elated, passed out drunk, or watching CSI, it has no impact on the game. So roll with the season folks. Enjoy that we get to watch a team from one of the greatest programs ever. Enjoy that these kids work their butts off and occasionally play brilliant football. The rest will be what it will be. Because your opinion on Heuple's play calling DOESN'T MATTER.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 08:28 PM
There's like 5 pages of posts here and I just got to this one and at the risk of sounding like a kiss-a**, ^^^this. I was pretty shocked at what I saw during the game and it didn't seem very good. And 5, 10 years ago, I would have been pacing the room, cursing, throwing sh*t at the tv. But, I was watching the game with my 9 year old son and I realized I was having fun, just being with him. Does that mean I'm not a real fan? Who knows. I learned a long time ago not to get too emotionally wrapped up in the actions of a bunch of 19, 20 and 21/22 year old kids. Because then it's not fun. And I can't control it. And whether I'm pissed off, elated, passed out drunk, or watching CSI, it has no impact on the game. So roll with the season folks. Enjoy that we get to watch a team from one of the greatest programs ever. Enjoy that these kids work their butts off and occasionally play brilliant football. The rest will be what it will be. Because your opinion on Heuple's play calling DOESN'T MATTER.

No, it doesn't mean you're not a real fan...it means you've grown up.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 08:28 PM
She could have let You wear either the Bra OR panties , selfish yainch

Exactly! I'm not asking for both...just one or the other.

picasso
9/4/2012, 08:32 PM
2002, at Tulsa, the sky is falling!!!!!

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1047

and that Tulsa team sucked balls.

8timechamps
9/4/2012, 08:36 PM
2002, at Tulsa, the sky is falling!!!!!

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/games/boxscore.cfm?GameID=1047

and that Tulsa team sucked balls.

You don't have to go back far to find any number of openers that were close (against teams that should have been blow-outs); Utah State and UAB for starters.

I always go back to Minnesota in '85. Horrid game...and much of the talk afterward was that we were gonna lose 4 or 5 games that year. Worked out pretty well.

C&CDean
9/4/2012, 08:41 PM
My work here is done. Thank God for a few smart people.

goingoneight
9/4/2012, 08:47 PM
If we clean up the things we messed up on, it maakes a big difference... against UTEP. I'm not so sure the things we did WELL will work against better competition. As much as we might pump our chest when referring to the UAB and USU games, the problems against them ended up costing us twice both years. So, sometimes... while a good season may be ahead, it doesn't mean you just pretend the problems don't exist.

MyT Oklahoma
9/4/2012, 10:00 PM
So the game this week is on at 6 p.m.? Great, that's all I needed to know.

In the mean time carry on everyone. Have fun but play nice.

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2012, 10:00 PM

kiss ***

Al Gore
9/5/2012, 07:16 AM
It's just getting good.....8time is going to wear panties!

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 07:20 AM
It's just getting good.....8time is going to wear panties!

So yer wife gonna share with him after all?

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 08:40 AM
Glad we're all straightened out now . . . .

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 09:05 AM
Ima have to find My Crimson undies that I been wearing every home game fer years

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 09:15 AM
Ima have to find My holey Crimson undies that I been wearing every home game fer years

fixed it fer ya

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 09:19 AM
fixed it fer ya

They do be pretty ragged.

cleller
9/5/2012, 09:25 AM
I also violated a couple clothing rules. Wore a grey OU shirt instead of crimson, and didn't pull out the OU socks.

To switch gears, I ran across a "where are they now" page the other day on the 2000 National Champs. It mentioned that Frank Romero and Howard Duncan are living in Moore. Scott Kempenich, and Bubba Burcham, in Tulsa, and Mike Skinner around Tahlequah.

How about we leave some messages at their employers saying Josh has invited them all down to walk thru a practice, and dinner at Del Rancho?

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 09:33 AM
i learned we can stop a fake punt!

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2012, 09:58 AM
I learned that our conditioning was better than UTEP's.

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 10:12 AM
I learned ya Put Mustard on weeners

bonkuba
9/5/2012, 11:41 AM

Sooooooooooooooooo.......that's what I been doing wrong............crap:texan:

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 04:45 PM
If we clean up the things we messed up on, it maakes a big difference... against UTEP. I'm not so sure the things we did WELL will work against better competition. As much as we might pump our chest when referring to the UAB and USU games, the problems against them ended up costing us twice both years. So, sometimes... while a good season may be ahead, it doesn't mean you just pretend the problems don't exist.

Yet we won the conference championship in both years (USU-2010, UAB-2006). Nobody can pretend the game against UTEP was a good one, but I think the point is you can't decide how a season will go based on the opener.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 04:49 PM

you have weener cramps?

olevetonahill
9/5/2012, 04:51 PM
you have weener cramps?

Not me, But that trainer chick was puttin it on the one player someres and then wrappin him up. I figured had to be his weener .

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 04:52 PM
they actually have to eat the mustard

i thought i started a thread with a link on that

but....that'd be a good way to get a "handy" huh? ;)

cvsooner
9/5/2012, 06:02 PM
And...USU and UAB were at home, no less, and against UAB we still had AD, and against USU we had Broyles AND Murray.

Breadburner
9/5/2012, 06:11 PM
Not me, But that trainer chick was puttin it on the one player someres and then wrappin him up. I figured had to be his weener .

Foot Long....????

goingoneight
9/5/2012, 06:37 PM

Too bad Boise ain't playing in the BCS this year. :P

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2012, 07:03 PM
Foot Long....????

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2uQS26NmVTY/T9KxjurwEmI/AAAAAAAA6io/H5LDFfJlf0I/s1600/viennasausages.jpg

cccasooner2
9/5/2012, 07:25 PM

And Caleb wasn't even credited with the stop. :(

Here's another, Hunnicutt got a tackle and was credited with it, Way got a tackle and was credited with it, O'Hara got a tackle and was NOT credited with it.

Our kiickers can tackle!

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2012, 07:37 PM
they actually have to eat the mustard

i thought i started a thread with a link on that

but....that'd be a good way to get a "handy" huh? ;)

Excuse me, would you have any Grey Poupon? (I see another spoof on this commercial coming).

VA Sooner
9/5/2012, 08:49 PM
Easy.

Have to agree with 8timechamps and S.PadreIsland... I thought you were a Poke too. My bad.

But may need to change the cowboy part in your ID.

En_Fuego
9/5/2012, 09:17 PM
Have to agree with 8timechamps and S.PadreIsland... I thought you were a Poke too. My bad.

But may need to change the cowboy part in your ID.

Maybe ???? lol

Curly Bill
9/7/2012, 11:19 AM
I used to live and die with Oklahoma football . . . not anymore. Life is too short to get all bent out of shape about this stuff . . . they haven't been dominant in years. Nothing I saw Saturday has changed my mind about that at all.

WERD!!!

Curly Bill
9/7/2012, 11:24 AM
My work here is done. Thank God for a few smart people.

You're welcome! :)

edit...not sayin I'm God, but that I'm one of the few smart people.

C&CDean
9/7/2012, 11:37 AM
You weren't even close to who I was talking about CB, but if it makes you feel better, rock on with yourself. You ain't the worst though. By far.

marfacowboy
9/7/2012, 01:02 PM

He keeps doing it. It's apparently his raison d'être....