PDA

View Full Version : The good news is...

8timechamps
9/2/2012, 04:30 PM
As the old saying goes "A team makes the most improvement between it's first and second game".

The bad news?

We need a lot of improvement if we're to win the conference.

En_Fuego
9/2/2012, 04:39 PM
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r628/Love_Smile_Kiss/My%20little%20Movie%20obsession/Titanic-GIF-titanic-24455728-500-220.gif

SoCalBigRed
9/2/2012, 06:45 PM
The good news, is... judging ANY OU season, by how they played the first game, is a fruitless endeavor. OU history is riddled with ridiculous outcomes, in early games then BCS games the same season.

They won, the defense looks stout. They were missing KEY players on both sides of the line. 1 and 0.

Widescreen
9/2/2012, 06:48 PM
That means UTEP will look like Bama next week. ;)

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 06:50 PM
We should have the #1 pass defense in the country!

Widescreen
9/2/2012, 06:59 PM
And the #120 rush defense!

MamaMia
9/2/2012, 07:22 PM
As the old saying goes "A team makes the most improvement between it's first and second game".That makes perfectly good sense to me. :)

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 07:32 PM
There is a LOT any team can improve on from week one to week two because week one is when you officially unleash the opposition to do things like blocking, tackling, hitting and running full sets offensively and defensively. Practice can tell you who your fastest guy is and who makes the best open field tackles, but there's a world of things you just can't know until you hit the field for the first time.

Game one: good or bad always shows you visually where you are lacking against real opposition. It shows you how far along your skill guys are and how your timing is.

bluedogok
9/2/2012, 07:52 PM
Given the team history the past few years any win without injuries is a good outcome. I don't recall any last night, any new reports of them today?

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 08:25 PM
Franklin got the snot knocked out of him on that punt return.

8timechamps
9/2/2012, 08:33 PM

This is the only injury I know about. I'm assuming it was a concussion, although I don't think he lost consciousness.

Otherwise, no injuries is always good news.

85sooners
9/2/2012, 09:10 PM
Should be a interesting season

cccasooner2
9/2/2012, 09:51 PM

I think he played after that though. I could be wrong though, it's happening with increased frequency.

JiminyChristmas
9/2/2012, 11:09 PM
They said on the radio broadcast that McFarland was being checked out by trainers at one point. Never heard how he turned out.

Also, the blocked punt was a really odd looking play. It was almost as if we were setting up a screen and purposefully let the defense get upfield.

Only thing I could think of is that the deep snapper went on the wrong snap count and the rest of the line was caught off guard. There is just no way we miss that many blocks without a communication problem of some kind. Anybody watch the replay and figure out what happened there?

EatLeadCommie
9/2/2012, 11:36 PM
The main problem is that Landry looks nothing like a 4 year starter. I figured, ok, Broyles goes out last year and he's lost. OK. I was POed, but it was understandable. But his throws were off last night and he clearly doesn't have a chemistry with his WRs. I suppose the WRs can shoulder some of the blame too, but mainly it's on Landry.

So in that regard, I'm not expecting much improvement between the first two weeks. He should already be functioning at a higher level than he is. If he isn't clicking by now, he isn't going to be clicking next week.

kevpks
9/3/2012, 07:56 AM
Given the team history the past few years any win without injuries is a good outcome. I don't recall any last night, any new reports of them today?

I agree. I've stopped trying to use OU performances to predict anything about the future. We'll look like crap against Utah State, then wax Florida State. We'll dominate Florida State and Texas and then lose to Texas Tech and Baylor. I'm going to try to live the cliche and take it one game at a time.

soonerloyal
9/3/2012, 07:59 AM
Meh. I'm concerned about what needs to improve, and of course Landry's consistent inconsistency. But yeah, it's just one game. One at a time.

SoonerorLater
9/3/2012, 09:11 AM
Meh. I'm concerned about what needs to improve, and of course Landry's consistent inconsistency. But yeah, it's just one game. One at a time.

Did you by any chance get to catch any of the Republican Convention?

Landthief 1972
9/3/2012, 09:24 AM
The main problem is that Landry looks nothing like a 4 year starter. I figured, ok, Broyles goes out last year and he's lost. OK. I was POed, but it was understandable. But his throws were off last night and he clearly doesn't have a chemistry with his WRs. I suppose the WRs can shoulder some of the blame too, but mainly it's on Landry.

The receivers and RBs also had a case of the dropsies...that never helps.

MountainOkie
9/3/2012, 10:05 AM
The receivers and RBs also had a case of the dropsies...that never helps.

This and the kid ran for his life most of the night. Not only that, but he threw well while on the run and made a "John Elway" cross field throw right on the money. There's no doubt Landry possesses NFL talent.

On the other hand, what he does not have (so far anyway) is the type of leadership this team needs to overcome adversity. If you look at the tape right before Landry's TD pass to Green where OU finally started to pull away--Blake Bell is the one pumping up the team, he's shouldering the leadership role. Result=TD.

BigTip
9/3/2012, 10:51 AM
Not only that, but he threw well while on the run and made a "John Elway" cross field throw right on the money. There's no doubt Landry possesses NFL talent.

That was great!

Considering everything, I thought he looked pretty good. Not so much of that "deer in the headlights" look about him. More poised, even as he was scrambling around.

He certainly did not jump start any Heisman talk though.