PDA

View Full Version : I know, I know...one game at a time, however

MamaMia
9/2/2012, 02:27 PM
...after this week in Norman against Florida A&M, we have K State who will be gunning for our quarterback, Texas Tech at home again, and then its off to Dallas. Not a lot of elbow room.

kevpks
9/2/2012, 02:36 PM
I look forward to watching us work out the kinks against Snake Aggie.

AZSOONER
9/2/2012, 02:36 PM
next week I'm looking for obvious improvements where needed, k-st is gonna be our measuring stick for the season.

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 02:37 PM
Everyone keeps saying OU played it close to the vest and that they were sandbagging week one. They kept comparing it to 2010 on the radio. I'm sorry, but all we had to do after Utah State was tweak a thing or two defensively and clean up the penalty problems. Last night's team AT BEST looks like a three or four loss team. The 2006 and 2010 "sleepwalk openers" at least showed potential. This team is either seriously hiding something big or they're seriously in trouble.

I'll say this. It's good to have the win and I KNOW we've seen slow starts before that led to good seasons. However, that was flat-out UGLY last night.

kevpks
9/2/2012, 02:51 PM
Everyone keeps saying OU played it close to the vest and that they were sandbagging week one. They kept comparing it to 2010 on the radio. I'm sorry, but all we had to do after Utah State was tweak a thing or two defensively and clean up the penalty problems. Last night's team AT BEST looks like a three or four loss team. The 2006 and 2010 "sleepwalk openers" at least showed potential. This team is either seriously hiding something big or they're seriously in trouble.

I'll say this. It's good to have the win and I KNOW we've seen slow starts before that led to good seasons. However, that was flat-out UGLY last night.

I'd rather win 24-7 than 31-24 (2010 Utah State score). In that Utah State game Sooner fans tried to ignore the defensive deficiencies that popped up throughout the year and cost us two games plus poor defensive performances against Cincy and OSU. I have more faith in an OU team's ability to make dramatic improvements on offense rather than defense. We do not look like a national championship contender after last night. However, if we are the only team other than Texas who is going to play defense in this league, there are not 4 teams on that schedule who can beat us.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/2/2012, 02:54 PM
Tweak a thing or two defensively against Utah St.? First off, Oklahoma was playing that game in Norman. Second off, UTEP is better than that Utah St. team. Third off, Oklahoma's offense sucked in the Utah St. and Air Force games that year. The Sooners had lots of issues in those games. Of course, last night, the special teams was atrocious. Despite the kick coverage, it's sad that teams can still return kicks against Oklahoma with the new rules.

JLEW1818
9/2/2012, 03:05 PM
Get more depth back at DT and the defense is good enough to win the Conference.

As for the offense, I've always hated it since Sam left. I don't dislike Landry, but the pistol and not taking snaps from under center need to be looked at.

MamaMia
9/2/2012, 03:14 PM
There is more than one way to make it to the top. Having a sloppy win does not make or break a season. In 2000, we played under the radar and won every game, even though we barely beat oSu, K-State and had to come from behind to beat Texas A&M. Thank you Torrance Marshall. Thats also the same year Nebraska scored 2 TDs in less than 2 minutes right off the mark! That Sooner team had heart. They wanted it bad; real bad. So bad that a bump in the road didn't stop them from winning every game somehow, any way they could. Last night, we played poorly, but we still won, even with so many players out and in spite of the fact that UTEP played lights out.

Could be that we'll be just fine, better than fine; that is if this team has that same aggression, that want it real real bad mentality.

How many players that were out last night will be good to go next week?

Stooper
9/2/2012, 03:34 PM
Well Said JLEW. I agree with you 100%.

I want to see Jordan Phillips 318 LB. frame in there more to help get a push to disrupt those run plays.

EatLeadCommie
9/2/2012, 03:50 PM
I'd rather win 24-7 than 31-24 (2010 Utah State score). In that Utah State game Sooner fans tried to ignore the defensive deficiencies that popped up throughout the year and cost us two games plus poor defensive performances against Cincy and OSU. I have more faith in an OU team's ability to make dramatic improvements on offense rather than defense. We do not look like a national championship contender after last night. However, if we are the only team other than Texas who is going to play defense in this league, there are not 4 teams on that schedule who can beat us.

We can lose to anybody with that offense we showed last night. I found myself hoping that Jake Sills had another year of eligibility left.

kevpks
9/2/2012, 08:00 PM
We can lose to anybody with that offense we showed last night. I found myself hoping that Jake Sills had another year of eligibility left.

...except UTEP apparently.