PDA

View Full Version : the hurry up offense

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2012, 11:18 AM
i get why we do this - but i sometimes wonder if it hasn't worn out its welcome

it does have its downsides....when the players arent sharp - or executing properly - i wonder if scrapping it for a normal style "huddle offense" isnt something to consider

thoughts?

olevetonahill
9/2/2012, 11:23 AM
75 was talking about that last night
with at least TWO delay of game Penalties and the numerous times I saw the Play clock down to 2 er 3 seconds . I didnt see much Hurry up

Widescreen
9/2/2012, 11:23 AM
Could be but I think it's a little early to make that decision. We only ran 73 plays last night mostly because we did horribly on 3rd down.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2012, 11:25 AM
i suppose it paid off in the late 3d quarter when we saw the UTEP defense wearing down and having all the cramping issues - but frankly the better teams are going to be better conditioned and not suffer thru that

but yeah - too many running down the clocks - i just wonder what we'd look like with a normal style/tempo offense - and a QB that audibles at the line of scrimmage based on what Landry see's, and with a set play

i also think we're guilty - every year- in the first couple of games - of walking into the game with an extremely limited playbook...i think this is a Stoops deal - but he's been running this O for awhile now - i dont know what he's able to hide from ut, etc

StoopTroup
9/2/2012, 11:25 AM
http://i.pbase.com/o3/00/544400/1/117003222.v26VX53k.Meerkatoffensewaits.jpg

Thanks for the classic LB.

IronHorseSooner
9/2/2012, 11:29 AM
i also think we're guilty - every year- in the first couple of games - of walking into the game with an extremely limited playbook...i think this is a Stoops deal - but he's been running this O for awhile now - i dont know what he's able to hide from ut, etc

This can be attributed to his mentors' (Snyder/Frye/Spurrier) influence. They all come out with limited playbooks on both sides early against weaker opponents.

SoonerorLater
9/2/2012, 11:31 AM
The hurry-up is a thing of beauty when it's going good but exacerbates problems when you are out of sync like last night. The hurry-up does put stress on the defense both the opponents and ours. In the end it probably isn't the hurry-up offense being good or bad but the personnel you have that's running it.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/2/2012, 12:12 PM
I like it..

the few good drives we had were when we got some rhythm going and we were getting up the the line fast.

Sooner91ATL
9/2/2012, 12:36 PM
As a fan, I can say that I am tired of the same offense we have been running for 5 years. The weird formations, the looking over the sideline, the TE turning to the sideline and raising his hands like he doesn't know the call, the running up the line to change the play and running behind each tackle hollering, the shotgun-only approach and no play action.

On the one hand I'm not getting paid several million a year to coach the team. On the other, my personal opinion is that if, in the short term, we went to a more ball control offense, huddled, and ran the I and pro sets, we would run more clock and our defense would be better off. we may have better field position overall. On the other hand, we would have fewer snaps and games would be closer in score and defense would become much more important.

In the long term, we need to recruit more linemen, both O and D, who are as good as our skilled players, and then when we can control the lines of scrimmage better we can dictate our will more. Right now our linemen are not top caliber and we can't move the ball on O or shed the blocker in zone blocking. This is institutional in this staff however; our recruitment and retention of top linemen has not been a focus seemingly, with the exception of 2007-2008 when we had very good OL and Dl but also had a fantastic QB and linebackers. In this light, gimmick offense and zone defense will be our strategy for the foreseeable future.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2012, 12:52 PM
It's really a no huddle offense with out much hurry up element to it.. It's been that way since the beginning of last year and even some before that..if the OC calls a pass play, Landry has 1 run play he can audible into.. If its a pass, he has 1 pass play he can audible into. With all the bells and whistles, it's a little limited.

StoopTroup
9/2/2012, 01:01 PM
So Blake handles the Bells and Landry is the yodeling Whistler?

85sooners
9/2/2012, 01:06 PM
Bah

soonerinabilene
9/2/2012, 01:10 PM
My thoughts are, when we are struggling to get into a passing rhythm against an inferior defense, we should at least be able to line up in the I, have Millard create a hole, and have a guy follow him for r4-6 yards a carry. The lack of physicality is what worries me the most.

StoopTroup
9/2/2012, 01:22 PM
Bah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSWvSPJb0xY

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2012, 01:28 PM
I just think the hurry up aspect is so limited in this offense, why not go back to a huddle so everyone know what is going on and we don't have our guys looking to the sidelines with their hands in the air.

Then If you are going to hurry a play, just get up to the line and go without a huddle then.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/2/2012, 01:35 PM
I think that's what's being confused.

We CAN go hurry up, but the no huddle isn't necessarily hurry up by virtue of its use.

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 02:29 PM
I really don't know why people think it's a hurry up offense. It's a NO HUDDLE offense. That means nothing more than they communicate via signals instead of calling out the plays in a huddle. The "hurry up" aspect is all a matter of how fast they so choose to run it.

That said, not even a huddle will save you if you play a whole game in the pistol/shotgun. It'll be really disappointing if we abandon what has won us 7 CCGs to run this Nevada crap. :mad:

StoopTroup
9/2/2012, 02:34 PM
Here's your sign....

http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2012/0703/dm_120703_ncf_signs_oklahoma.jpg

PLaw
9/2/2012, 02:38 PM
I think there is a time to do it, but there is also a time to go at a more normal pace. The adverse impact the hurry up O has on your D is well documented. It seems like we want to go fast after a first down, but last night's horrible third down efficiency pretty much negated that.

Boomer

JLEW1818
9/2/2012, 03:10 PM
I saw poster board signs on offense. What a joke, Sorry.

En_Fuego
9/2/2012, 05:20 PM
I was hoping the offense would adapt to a more run oriented style. This "Sissy" little hurry-up and wait offense is causing me to lose more hair than need be. I will be soooo glad when they scrap it......If you have the personel it's unstoppable.....But if you dont have the personel...it's.....it's.....*****FIED...........j ust sayin !

En_Fuego
9/2/2012, 05:25 PM
But i will have to add this was ONLY the first game.......BOOMER SOONER

AlboSooner
9/2/2012, 05:30 PM
http://www.football-plays.com/images/formations/i_formation_green_block_large.gif
Brig it back

8timechamps
9/2/2012, 05:40 PM
We don't run a hurry up offense. We run an up-tempo offense. I know it sounds like semantics, but it isn't. A true hurry up offense is Oregon. Their goal is to move down the field as fast as humanly possible. That's not the aim of our scheme. Our scheme (and most up tempo schemes) are designed to trap defenses with the wrong personnel on the field. It's not so much about moving down the field in a hurry as it is gaining a favorable match-up and keeping the defense from substituting for a more equal one.

Widescreen
9/2/2012, 06:20 PM
Yep. It's a no-huddle, not a hurry-up. The coaches have said that many, many times over the last 5 years.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2012, 06:48 PM
ok, hurry up - no huddle - i think everybody knew what i was talking about

THE OFFENSE WE RUN......jeebus, you literal ninnies

Widescreen
9/2/2012, 06:50 PM

That had poor sentence structure.

MountainOkie
9/2/2012, 08:03 PM
That had poor sentence structure.

And it took my lord jeebus's name in vain.

Yuboors trubuly,

Mushmouth :)

8timechamps
9/2/2012, 08:08 PM

My post wasn't directed at you. It was the hundreds of posts we see every year that say "WHY DO WE RUNZ A HURRY UP OFENZE IF WE DON'T HURRYZ UP?!!1!"

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2012, 08:09 PM
no worries, i started the thread and used the wrong term

SoonerorLater
9/2/2012, 08:26 PM
In the end I'm not sure an advantage is gained by any of this. For every positive consequence there seems to be a corresponding negative consequence. Yes, Oregon ran 90 something plays last night and beat Ark St 57-34 but is that the reason they won? IMO the reason they won is because they are just better. If they had played at a normal tempo they probably would have won something like 37-20. When you play up tempo etc, you don't only create more plays and possessions for your offense but you by definition create more for the opposing offense. Meaning you put more stress on your defense. Why? To what end? Every play is just another opportunity to sustain an injury. If you think about it why wouldn't you want to defeat the other team as compactly as possible?

OU_Sooners75
9/2/2012, 08:35 PM
I was in my manopaise mood last night during the game. It was frustrating to watch.

That said, OU does not run a hurry up offense. They run a no huddle offense.

That said, the only good thing it creates is very limited to no defensive substitutions.

The cons are so alarming. If you do go to hurry up in it, and you fail to make a first down, thir defense is off the field generally un der a minute and ahalf. This makes it where your defense is on the field more. And that generally is not a good thing,

If the offense is out of sync, then a huddle will make it possible that the oline can communicate during the series to say what the defense is doing. This can then be relayed to the rest of the offense as well. It helps. It also gives the big uglies a chance to catch some fresh air. It creates a better environment for the QB to be a better leader. He can better lead, by calming his troops. By calling a snap count instead of telling the defense when the ball is about to be snapped.

Lining up on the line and waiting for the center to snap the ball without a cadence also benefits the defense, especially the dline. Because now the only one that knows when the ball is going to be snapped is the center. The guards, tackles, tight ends, wrs, and backfield goes on ball movement. So they react just like the defense does. This helps the defense tremendously because the defense can pin their ears back knowing that the oline doesn't have an advantage of a snap count, but has the smae ball movement.

Another thing, and it isn't. The huddle issue. The oline needs to downhill block more to be effective run blockers. Instead huepel has them zone stepping most plays. There is a reason the belldozer works well and gains positive yards. Because the offensive line gets to downhill block. They are about a yard past the LOS at the point of attack, so they already go positive yardage before the rb even hits the holes.

There is so much that needs to be corrected. QB under center is a good start. Stop trying to run the ball from standing still or sliding....but hand the ball off with the rb coming toward the LOS instead.

Anyway, a win is a win. and I hope they continue to win. But there are issues from player execution, focus, discipline, to coaching flaws.

Just my 5 cents.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2012, 11:45 PM
But really since demarco left, we don't have a do everything back.. So we are having to do substituting for different formations.. So then the defense can substitute..

cleller
9/3/2012, 07:39 AM
My post wasn't directed at you. It was the hundreds of posts we see every year that say "WHY DO WE RUNZ A HURRY UP OFENZE IF WE DON'T HURRYZ UP?!!1!"

For the purpose of this board, I thought we had decided to call it the "Lookit Here" or "SeeMe" offense. I'd like to know what our down linemen and TEs think of it. Must be tough on the linemen, and I repeatedly saw a TE throwing up his hands because he could not see the signals over the other bodies in front of him.

For some reason, knowing the business you are in, the fact that you have 0 vCash worries me.