PDA

View Full Version : Where Is The Outrage For Okie State's Running Up The Score?

Judge Smails
9/2/2012, 09:39 AM
Remember all the hell we caught when it was 77-0 against the Aggies? At least they were a real football team.

Where is all the outrage for the Pokies running up the score against that fifth grade team 84-0???

Lupica, what have you got to say this time???

AZSOONER
9/2/2012, 09:50 AM
I've been waiting for it, but so far.........nuthin

DrZaius
9/2/2012, 09:53 AM
Who f'n cares...I got a big chuckle as I flashed back to the ATM game. haha

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2012, 10:05 AM
i'm not outraged by it at all - at least not on the field - they apparently put just about every kid on the field that dressed for the game - you cant ask players not to execute and try

however, i have seen some comments in a few articles where the Savannah St. coach questioned whether the payout ($385K) was worth the humiliation - and T. Boone made comments about wanting to schedule higher quality non-conference opponents

it's still early sunday morning - the national folks will raise an eyebrow or two at the most

Soonerwake
9/2/2012, 10:05 AM
I thought the same thing, but I guess the Sooners are held to a different standard.

olevetonahill
9/2/2012, 10:28 AM
i'm not outraged by it at all - at least not on the field - they apparently put just about every kid on the field that dressed for the game - you cant ask players not to execute and try

however, i have seen some comments in a few articles where the Savannah St. coach questioned whether the payout ($385K) was worth the humiliation - and T. Boone made comments about wanting to schedule higher quality non-conference opponents

it's still early sunday morning - the national folks will raise an eyebrow or two at the most

As much as I hate em, Ya cant fault the Players or Coaches. They pulled the starters after the 1st quarter .

VA Sooner
9/2/2012, 10:47 AM
Didn't see the game... didn't realize their starters were pulled after the first quarter.

Not worth the humiliation for sure. Kids at that level are playing because they love the game...

Now Texas A&M on the other hand... (77-0)... :-)

StoopTroup
9/2/2012, 11:02 AM
Pat Jones clearly said that Gumby called off the dogs in the 1st Qtr but he was just unable to stop his players from playing football for 3 more quarters.

Isn't that the way things go when we've been accused?

Just put this one in your back pocket as it won't be long until some aggie fan puts his/her proverbial foot in said mouth.

Redshirt
9/2/2012, 11:05 AM
I AM OUTRAGED!

CowboyMRW
9/2/2012, 11:24 AM
I won't lie. I felt embarrassed and bad for Savannah State watching the game.

And next week they get to go play Florida State, which according to Herbie, is gonna win the National Championship.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2012, 11:33 AM
i'm not sure what you learn from scheduling a team like that.....

StoopTroup
9/2/2012, 11:35 AM

That you can win Road Games no matter how flat you play?

CowboyMRW
9/2/2012, 11:48 AM

Honestly, Lunt has better competition during practice to throw against. We saw some of our newer players out of position a couple of times on defense, so we have some correctable stuff, but yes I agree with you. Not much to be learned. I mean we played 93 players last night.

oSuJeff1997
9/2/2012, 11:49 AM
John Hoover from the TW wrote a column this morning about how OSU should be "embarrassed" for scheduling them, so there is that.

As others have noted, the starters were out before the end of the first quarter.

But yeah... I don't know what you get out of that game. I have to think an intra-squad scrimmage would be more valuable.

olevetonahill
9/2/2012, 11:54 AM
Honestly, Lunt has better competition during practice to throw against. We saw some of our newer players out of position a couple of times on defense, so we have some correctable stuff, but yes I agree with you. Not much to be learned. I mean we played 93 players last night.

Did Yall put "Rudy" in?

Statalyzer
9/2/2012, 02:02 PM

They literally played every uninjured player they had available. Gundy pulls his starters earlier in blowouts than most other coaches anyway. I don't blame him for not asking his 5th string players - who may never play in a college football game again in their lives - to fall down on purpose and keep from scoring.

And yeah anyone who accused OU of running up the score on A&M didn't pay attention. IIRC you guys didn't score a single point in the 4th quarter. And your walk-ons really did all but fall down on purpose to keep from scoring.

kevpks
9/2/2012, 02:37 PM

And next week they get to go play Florida State, which according to Herbie, is gonna win the National Championship.

Dumb pick by Herbie. FSU is more likely to lose 5 games than even play for a title.

kevpks
9/2/2012, 02:42 PM
John Hoover from the TW wrote a column this morning about how OSU should be "embarrassed" for scheduling them, so there is that.

As others have noted, the starters were out before the end of the first quarter.

But yeah... I don't know what you get out of that game. I have to think an intra-squad scrimmage would be more valuable.

I would agree that the scheduling is a little weird. It's one thing to schedule an FCS team, but Sieveannah State seems to be one of the worst FCS teams. I wish their was more incentive to play a tougher schedule, but I can see why OSU takes the Bill Snyder approach. I'd love to see OSU play Wisconsin or Michigan. Other that the Georgia series, I can't think of a lot of decent non-conference matchups for the Pokes in the recent years.

oSuJeff1997
9/2/2012, 03:05 PM
I would agree that the scheduling is a little weird. It's one thing to schedule an FCS team, but Sieveannah State seems to be one of the worst FCS teams. I wish their was more incentive to play a tougher schedule, but I can see why OSU takes the Bill Snyder approach. I'd love to see OSU play Wisconsin or Michigan. Other that the Georgia series, I can't think of a lot of decent non-conference matchups for the Pokes in the recent years.

Arizona was decent when those games were scheduled.

We had several other good non-conference series scheduled (Air Force, Clemson, NC State) that were killed by the conference realignment. Word is that they are working on a game against Mississippi State in Houston for next year.

CowboyMRW
9/2/2012, 04:13 PM
Also it was reported that OSU tried 40 different schools before contacting Savannah State.

But I agree, I would love for us to schedule someone with a good name in OOC.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2012, 04:17 PM
Pretty much everything jk said..The game is scheduled, players go play..Savannah St should be embarassed for scheduling the game..As a player it would **** me off my school selling my safety for 385k

rock on sooner
9/2/2012, 04:19 PM
Also it was reported that OSU tried 40 different schools before contacting Savannah State.

I didn't hear the report but that's what I figured when
I saw their schedule...

rock on sooner
9/2/2012, 04:20 PM
Pretty much everything jk said..The game is scheduled, players go play..Savannah St should be embarassed for scheduling the game..As a player it would **** me off my school selling my safety for 385k

I'm kinda surprised at the $385K, when most of what I hear about is
$600K +...

One4OU
9/2/2012, 04:21 PM
Maybe they should play Utep????

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2012, 04:31 PM
Either way, to really put your players in a dangerous situation like that without regard so the athletic dept can earn some cash...I understand schools doing that, but that school....I honestly think Jenks or Union could scrap with them..

AlboSooner
9/2/2012, 05:27 PM
The circumstances are different. OU was number one, and talked about as one of the best teams ever. generally OU attracts more attention than okie st. Also the backlash from OU fans have caused some talking heads to be more careful when criticizing head coaches.

8timechamps
9/2/2012, 05:31 PM

I did too. Not because of what OSU was doing to them, because it looked like Gundy cleared the bench early, but because somebody in their administration took a check to get embarrassed. Savannah State may be the worst football team I've seen at the FBC OR FCS level. They've won ONE game (by 3 points) in two years.

That's not a knock on OSU, they play whomever is on their schedule, it's a knock on the Savannah State administration.

Soonerjeepman
9/2/2012, 06:19 PM
I understand with THIS game, but I call BS on pokes wanting to schedule bigger names for OCG for the last few years...haven't seen it. They are "building" their program...they are doing the ksu schedule...which is fine but don't blow all this smoke about Pickens wanting to schedule tougher games...just my 2 cents worth.

SoonerObsession
9/2/2012, 06:28 PM
I have to say I respect Gundy for playing backups so early. He even has a young qb that needs all the play time he can get, but he pulled him after one quarter. I love Stoops, but he would have kept Landry in until the 4th quarter.

SoCalBigRed
9/2/2012, 06:38 PM
Who f'n cares... haha

That's why, right there. No one, outside Stillwater, gives a rat's behind about the aggies.

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 07:20 PM
SSU is no different than UNT or UTEP in my opinion. If you're a BCS team playing a game like that, you deserve every last bit of criticism you get for it.

MamaMia
9/2/2012, 07:25 PM
Remember all the hell we caught when it was 77-0 against the Aggies? At least they were a real football team.

Where is all the outrage for the Pokies running up the score against that fifth grade team 84-0???

Lupica, what have you got to say this time???Because when OU runs up the score, we're bullies. When they run up the score, its entertainment.

Soonerjeepman
9/2/2012, 07:25 PM
just asking...but SSU are they D1?

Plexis22
9/2/2012, 07:29 PM

In the same conference as our next opponent Florida A&M, the MEAC. FA&M is predicted to contend for the conference title (along with Bethune-Cookman). Savannah State is supposed to finish last in the conference, and will likely end up one of the worst teams in all college football..

MamaMia
9/2/2012, 07:37 PM
Did any of the Savannah State players get injured yesterday?

bluedogok
9/2/2012, 07:47 PM

Most games involving the top 50 teams against a team like Savannah are usually games of last resort. The conference mayhem the past few years has really affected scheduling.

SSU is no different than UNT or UTEP in my opinion. If you're a BCS team playing a game like that, you deserve every last bit of criticism you get for it.

UNT and UTEP are in the same division (D1-A/FBS) as OU or OSU whereas Savannah and FAMU are D1-AA/FBS teams. UTEP would probably beat Savannah by 40 nine times out of ten. They are historically bad.

Eielson
9/2/2012, 07:54 PM

That's not even close to a fair comparison. UTEP and UNT are light-years ahead of Savannah State. High school teams could beat Savannah State. Literally.

8timechamps
9/2/2012, 08:29 PM
That's not even close to a fair comparison. UTEP and UNT are light-years ahead of Savannah State. High school teams could beat Savannah State. Literally.

THIS.

Here's how they did last year:

Albany State L 34-37
Southeastern Louisiana L 63-6
Appalachian State L 41-6
North Carolina Central W 33-30
Howard L 34-14
Morgan State L 44-17
Florida A&M L 47-7
Hampton L 22-5
Norfolk State L 45-3
Bethune Cookman L 59-3
South Carolina State L 20-10

We're talking about the one of the worst D2/FCS programs in the country. UNT, UTEP, or any comparable program would look like an elite powerhouse to this team.

TitoMorelli
9/2/2012, 11:16 PM
Wonder how many of the other school's homecoming games they end up playing in a season?

CowboyMRW
9/3/2012, 12:37 AM
Step 1. Get 385k
Step 2. See line is at -69.5
Step 3. Go all in for Okie St. to cover
Step 4. Lose 84-0
Step 5. Profit