PDA

View Full Version : Dear God why cant we run play action under center?

JLEW1818
9/1/2012, 10:47 PM
What a ***** *** offense we are running.

soonercastor
9/1/2012, 10:57 PM
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/241/4/a/In_before_the_lock_by_dantiscus.gif

JLEW1818
9/1/2012, 11:06 PM
Omg. Are we really holding up the poster board plays on offense? This is such a joke.

soonercastor
9/1/2012, 11:07 PM
:subdued:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2012, 11:07 PM
because they don't have to dedicate any extra defenders to the run, no need to bite on any PA....This O is pretty much the last 3 years rewashed.

goingoneight
9/1/2012, 11:16 PM
It's probably the best question that can possibly be asked. We have a decent OL, a great fullback and some good RBs. We've had a lot more to compliment those the last three years and we're not even trying to play big boy football.

JLEW1818
9/1/2012, 11:21 PM
Pillow fights

StoopTroup
9/1/2012, 11:22 PM
It's like the guys that run Restaurants that won't tell anyone about the secret ingredient in their chili and they just can't get it right unless they get one guy to sign a non-compete agreement so he can get the kitchen going.

I just think Bob needs to quit worrying about what he shows in these 1st games and throw the playbook at our players and tell them to get their sh*t together.

salth2o
9/1/2012, 11:22 PM
Omg. Are we really holding up the poster board plays on offense? This is such a joke.

So Poke St.

JLEW1818
9/2/2012, 12:27 AM
Josh just isn't what we need. Or his offense is not what we need. Horrible offensive playoff book. Just bad.

I've hated the pistol since it was introduced in 2009.

goingoneight
9/2/2012, 01:11 AM
Me, too. It's ridiculous. If our coaches truly believe true I-formation power football is so out-dated, what did eight of the top ten teams in the country dominate with it?

MamaMia
9/2/2012, 03:36 AM
When Josh was our quarterback, he would spend an extraordinary amount of time in the film room dissecting the next opponents defensive schemes. That was the reason I was so pleased that he was hired. Hopefully he's still doing that and we will see progression and changes made as the season continues. I'm hoping that he will come up with the correct game plan by utilizing our strengths to take advantage of our next opponents weaknesses.

redkid
9/2/2012, 03:41 AM
josh on the hotseat already?

redkid
9/2/2012, 03:43 AM
really all we need is Alabama's offensive and defensive line

vtsooner21
9/2/2012, 06:34 AM
OK; thought my views on the offense were mine alone. I saw very calls out on the field that I supported. Most running plays were designed to be run between the tackles and that's exactly what UTEP had hoped. It's beyond comprehension how a team as fast as the Sooners cannot pitch out to get the run game to the outside. It would have been a track meet had that happened. Did Coach Heupel get lulled to sleep or lose his creativity all together? Thank goodness the defense (thanks Coach Stoops et al) did not give up a defensive TD. Here's hoping that the offense gets rolling and will show up against more strong opponents as the season progresses.

Boomer

Sooner91ATL
9/2/2012, 07:39 AM
Bob will shove Heupel out end of this year and hire brother Mark as O coordinator. STOOPS THERE IT IS!

birddog
9/4/2012, 02:46 PM
heupel brought us our first NC and he should be around to recruit and continue to progress like a fine wine. he is not the problem. the lines on both sides are just not good at all right now and there is no way we can run our offense if defenders are telling us what color landry's eyes are after the game.

sooneron
9/4/2012, 03:19 PM
We have a decent OL,...

Decent? I saw little to no "push" until the game was pretty much decided. Any DL that is top 20 is going to eat them for lunch if they don't improve and quick!

En_Fuego
9/4/2012, 07:09 PM
Pillow fights

Pajama party, kissing contest ?

SoonerDood
9/4/2012, 08:21 PM
We're running an offense that looks like Mike Leach's! Isn't that what everyone wanted?

IslandSooner
9/4/2012, 09:25 PM
Our offense does seem awfully predictable..... With that being said, I don't think it is Leach's, and it damn sure isn,t Kevin Wilson's....... Both of those offense's actually scored points, lots of points....

thecrimsoncrusader
9/5/2012, 12:25 PM
Our offense does seem awfully predictable..... With that being said, I don't think it is Leach's, and it damn sure isn,t Kevin Wilson's....... Both of those offense's actually scored points, lots of points....

They also didn't have these slow starts. I miss Oklahoma getting those 14-0 or greater 1st quarter leads and rolling from there.

SoonerNomad
9/5/2012, 12:36 PM
The OU offense is built on keeping momentum. You have to get early first downs or have early success on third down ot it all falls apart. I don't know why. I would love to see things happen differently, but that is a consistent theme with this team since installing this wide open 90 plays a game scheme. Sucess begets success. Failure is a momentum builder as well. Just in the wrong direction. Dropping first down passes on third and short kept the offense in neutral for most of the game. Once the tone was set the confidence was gone and it turned into a long night.

starclassic tama
9/5/2012, 12:47 PM
i just don't understand trying to run the ball with a 5 man line and two backs out of the shotgun. notice in the second half when heupel actually used a tight end or an extra lineman things started to roll quite a bit better

SoonerAtKU
9/5/2012, 01:17 PM
josh on the hotseat already?

Please, people in here were saying he was in over his head a third of the way through last year. Nobody was serious about it because they had Venables to fume over. If it's not one coordinator, it's the other.

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 01:28 PM
heupel brought us our first NC and he should be around to recruit and continue to progress like a fine wine. he is not the problem. the lines on both sides are just not good at all right now and there is no way we can run our offense if defenders are telling us what color landry's eyes are after the game.

So OU has only one national championship now? What happened to the other 6?

That said, no Hyple should not get a pass. He should not be able to "age like fine wine." He should be held accountable if the offense does not get it together.

I will give a pass on game one. He had to deal with practically a brand new OL (3 new faces) and WRs core (only one returning starter) and an inexperienced TE).

That said, the game against UTEP, the lines did not to a bad job. They didnt do a great job either. They did a job that fell in between bad and great. I would say adequate to good.

The Offense was pretty balanced vs. UTEP. 205 yards rushing on 36 carries (4.4 ypc) and 222 yards passing on 37 passes.

The game on either side was not pretty. The Defense did tighten up the further they went down the field, and that is what a "Bend but don't break" defense is suppose to do.

Lets not forget, 3 of the top 4 DT did not even make the trip to El Paso. We had a DE starting as a DT. We had a freshman getting his feet wet for the first time.

The Ends contained pretty damn well all game, sans one 71 yard run. The DTs not so much. The LBs played their gaps. And stuffed some holes.

The problem on defense was not their assignments, or the inexperience. It was the inability to tackle! The defense needs to work on tackling. Had OU been able to tackle with the first or second man, then UTEP would never have gotten over 200 yards rushing. Outside of 2 rushes for UTEP, the defense allowed just 116 yards of rushing. That is not a bad night.

So lets recap.

1. There were things that OU definitely found that they need to work on. That is not a bad thing at all.
2. The OL missed a few assignments. In particular the last sack was the OG fault (#71) he totally whiffed on the blitzing LB. The OL opened some very good holes for rushing.
3. Landry still doesn't trust his WRs. And he holds the ball way to long. Pass blocking, anything past 4 seconds for the OL is great. But if the ball isn't gone by 5 seconds, then the QB is holding too long.
4. The WRs need to do a better job at blocking. To many missed blocks by the WRs on flares and swing passes.
5. The LBs will be great in assignment football. They are now playing a gap instead of read and react. They also dropped into their zones on passing downs really well. Not worried about the LBs.
6. The highlight of the team in game one was the DBs. man they played great. They stuck to their men like stink on ****! They tackled well in open field. They also gave great run support.

Overall, the performance by many Sooner fans look like an underwhelming performance. But I think I would grade like this:

Offense: C
Defense: B+
Special teams: D+ (if it wasnt for Justin Brown and his punt return and Tress Way's punts, it would be an F)

Overall: C+ (given my opinions above, I think OU only can get better with more game time experience and more time to work with each other and more film. Hopefully by KSTATE they will have it together.)

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 01:29 PM
Please, people in here were saying he was in over his head a third of the way through last year. Nobody was serious about it because they had Venables to fume over. If it's not one coordinator, it's the other.

I think Hypel got a pass last year since it was his first year in the position. This year is his second. If he cannot get the offense to have an identity, then he should be on the hot seat. Hot seat doesnt mean fired (IMO). It means he needs to be put on alert that his job is not secure. Fix it or get out!

OU_Sooners75
9/5/2012, 01:31 PM
i just don't understand trying to run the ball with a 5 man line and two backs out of the shotgun. notice in the second half when heupel actually used a tight end or an extra lineman things started to roll quite a bit better

In the second half, we saw more Diamond plays.

My biggest bitch is like others, why didnt Landry ever take a snap under center vs. Utep?

You cannot tell me they are trying to be so vanilla that they risk a potential upset or whatever.

We out talented and conditioned UTEP last Saturday. We didnt dominate them at all. And that is pathetic!

Augusta_Sooner
9/5/2012, 02:13 PM
It's probably the best question that can possibly be asked. We have a decent OL, a great fullback and some good RBs. We've had a lot more to compliment those the last three years and we're not even trying to play big boy football.

I think OU's offense is having an identity crisis right now. On one hand, the spread/no-huddle/hurry-up can score pts. quickly if the timing is there. But on the other hand, if this type of offense is out of rythm and not hitting on all cylinders, it goes 3 and out quickly. Now, the defense is quickly back out on the field with little time to rest. I don't think this offense can generate a power running game when needed, especially in the red zone. The offense can't just morph into a powerful running offense simply because the coaches bring in a "Power Run" package, such as 2 TEs, I-formation, etc. Power football is not OU's style of offense. Part of the problem was a lack of RBs with size and power. That's why Bell has to come in to get short yardage 1st downs and TDs. I'm glad to see OU recruiting bigger RBs, because Finch and Clay simply do not have the power to break tackles and get tough yards near the goal line. I think it's borderline embarrassing that OU has to send in their 2nd string QB to get the tough yards from time to time. Some guys like Finch may average 5 yds a carry between the 20s; however, there is a reason the coaches go to Bell instead of him or Clay in short yardage situations. I hope Damien Williams continues to get more carries. He has the size, speed and power to be a 3 down back. Plus, Landry is a 4 yr starter in this system, so the coaches aren't going to make big changes in the offense with him at QB. Maybe the offense changes next year and OU will abandon the spread for a more pro-style offense, we'll see.

birddog
9/5/2012, 08:03 PM
So OU has only one national championship now? What happened to the other 6? That said, no Hyple should not get a pass. He should not be able to "age like fine wine." He should be held accountable if the offense does not get it together.

I will give a pass on game one. He had to deal with practically a brand new OL (3 new faces) and WRs core (only one returning starter) and an inexperienced TE).

That said, the game against UTEP, the lines did not to a bad job. They didnt do a great job either. They did a job that fell in between bad and great. I would say adequate to good.

The Offense was pretty balanced vs. UTEP. 205 yards rushing on 36 carries (4.4 ypc) and 222 yards passing on 37 passes.

The game on either side was not pretty. The Defense did tighten up the further they went down the field, and that is what a "Bend but don't break" defense is suppose to do.

Lets not forget, 3 of the top 4 DT did not even make the trip to El Paso. We had a DE starting as a DT. We had a freshman getting his feet wet for the first time.

The Ends contained pretty damn well all game, sans one 71 yard run. The DTs not so much. The LBs played their gaps. And stuffed some holes.

The problem on defense was not their assignments, or the inexperience. It was the inability to tackle! The defense needs to work on tackling. Had OU been able to tackle with the first or second man, then UTEP would never have gotten over 200 yards rushing. Outside of 2 rushes for UTEP, the defense allowed just 116 yards of rushing. That is not a bad night.

So lets recap.

1. There were things that OU definitely found that they need to work on. That is not a bad thing at all.
2. The OL missed a few assignments. In particular the last sack was the OG fault (#71) he totally whiffed on the blitzing LB. The OL opened some very good holes for rushing.
3. Landry still doesn't trust his WRs. And he holds the ball way to long. Pass blocking, anything past 4 seconds for the OL is great. But if the ball isn't gone by 5 seconds, then the QB is holding too long.
4. The WRs need to do a better job at blocking. To many missed blocks by the WRs on flares and swing passes.
5. The LBs will be great in assignment football. They are now playing a gap instead of read and react. They also dropped into their zones on passing downs really well. Not worried about the LBs.
6. The highlight of the team in game one was the DBs. man they played great. They stuck to their men like stink on ****! They tackled well in open field. They also gave great run support.

Overall, the performance by many Sooner fans look like an underwhelming performance. But I think I would grade like this:

Offense: C
Defense: B+
Special teams: D+ (if it wasnt for Justin Brown and his punt return and Tress Way's punts, it would be an F)

Overall: C+ (given my opinions above, I think OU only can get better with more game time experience and more time to work with each other and more film. Hopefully by KSTATE they will have it together.)

you serious, clark?

8timechamps
9/5/2012, 08:42 PM
The play calling had nothing to do with the outcome of the UTEP game. That would be almost exclusively on the players for not executing.

IslandSooner
9/5/2012, 09:07 PM
EXECUTION....... THATS IT. We just need to execute better:-) Sh@t that should be easy?