PDA

View Full Version : "The Dallas Cowboys of college football"

boomersooner28
8/30/2012, 03:30 PM
Yep, thats what we were called today on ESPN. I am pretty sure it was Robert Smith that said it. Referring to the fact that we are always over-hyped, over-rated, and go out and lose games that we shouldn't.

Interesting.

LittleElmSooner
8/30/2012, 03:33 PM
It was Mel Kiper. Caught some SportsCenter over lunch. He said that OUr beloved Sooners were the "most overrated" team in the top 10. They then went back to their complete overhyping of Matt Barkley and the Condoms.

boomersooner28
8/30/2012, 03:36 PM
YAP! You are correct. It WAS Kiper!

8timechamps
8/30/2012, 03:38 PM
I think we should be closer to 10 than 4, but THE MOST OVER-HYPED?! Nope. That would have been last year.

picasso
8/30/2012, 03:43 PM
Yet we've won as much or more than anyone. It's really hard to go undefeated, even when you're clearly the best.
We've had a few seasons like that. But not recently IMO.

DarrellZero
8/30/2012, 03:44 PM
Has Kiper ever heard of a school called Notre Dame?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/30/2012, 03:45 PM
Mel Kiper is the Dallas Cowboys of football analysts. Overrated, overhyped and goes out and makes predictions that are always wrong.

budbarrybob
8/30/2012, 03:50 PM
Has Kiper ever heard of a school called Notre Dame?

or a player named Casey Clausen????

LiveLaughLove
8/30/2012, 03:52 PM
Only one thing will shut all of that up.

picasso
8/30/2012, 03:54 PM
Old timey barber?

Kiper knows his stuff. He played on some pretty good teams back in the day.

Salt City Sooner
8/30/2012, 03:56 PM
Or even Jimmy.....

Seamus
8/30/2012, 03:57 PM

Jimmy, perhaps?

TXBOOMER
8/30/2012, 04:30 PM

We have a winner!

yermom
8/30/2012, 04:44 PM
i liked it better when we were the Buffalo Bills

we are just a couple decades off being lucky to be called the Dallas Cowboys...

Boomer.....
8/30/2012, 04:53 PM
Hard to argue with him as of late.

picasso
8/30/2012, 05:05 PM
I know man, just look at all of the teams through history that have started out number one and have finished that way.

CowboyMRW
8/30/2012, 05:07 PM
**** 'em.

I wish OSU could be so fortunate as to win 7 Big 12 championships in 13 years.

picasso
8/30/2012, 05:09 PM
**** 'em.

I wish OSU could be so fortunate as to win 7 Big 12 championships in 13 years.
You guys found out last season just how hard it is to win every game. You would beat Iowa State probably 9 out of 10 times last season. You also got by KSU and Stanford by your shorthairs. It's tough.

SoonerNomad
8/30/2012, 05:21 PM
We would be saying the same thing if another team had been ranked #1 last year and lost the Tech game at home, made RG III a living legend, and lost the way we did to OSU. Iin fact, I am sure I have said it about several teams in the past and I am hoping to be saying it about LSU by mid October and West Virginia by November. I remember an Alabama team that was highly ranked around the turn of the century. By November of that year there was a joke going around. What's the difference between Alabama and Dale Earnhardt. Answer: Dale is still #3. (you can tell how long ago that was). In reality, I am having a hard time wondering why the Sooners are ranked #4. I hope these misguided prognosticators are right. That would be cool.

Having said that all that, comparing the recent Sooners to my favorite pro team, the Dallas Cowboys, is ridiculous. The 'Boys have won one playoff game since 1998. That's the singular, one. In that same time period the Sooners have won a national title and multiple conference titles and BCS games. The comparison based on last year alone might be appropriate, but based on the last decade +, OU's body of work is much more impressive than the Cowboys.

OU is like several schools that are routinely ranked a little higher than where they should be due to reputation and history. Kind of nice, isn't it. Well earned I might add.

picasso
8/30/2012, 05:25 PM
It's a bit odd because this isn't a new spot for OU to be in. We aren't ranked #1 every preseason but as Pat Jones has said, we could move forward 10 years and we could see the same teams in the top 7 or 8.

mainline13
8/30/2012, 05:47 PM
I'm sure that he meant that we are "America's Team" at the college level, because we have a vast number of fans, all over the country - and even the globe.

Or maybe he meant that we are so popular with bettors that the oddsmakers always have to give too many points to our opponents, to encourage more people to bet on them. This, by the way, is not a facetious answer. It's what happens, and it's why our record against the spread, in any given year, is liable to be somewhat poor.

But even though I will choose to accept his comment as a compliment to our program, f- him anyway, just because.

Soonerman82
8/30/2012, 06:27 PM
I hope ESPN continues to say we're overrated. The team could use it for motivation.

goingoneight
8/30/2012, 06:35 PM
We have a lot of very smart guys on our team. I wish Mike or whomever deems themselves our "motivators" is pointing out stuff like this instead of the usual "well, we don't watch TV, read the news or have ears" coach speak. I remember the one time Reggie Smith talked about how the team posted Chase Daniel's commentary in the locker room before the 2007 BIG 12 CCG. That OU team was short a few of its best players and came out playing with a MEAN vengeance in that game. That was just a small dose of what we used to call "swagger" in Stoops's early years. The 2001 Orange Bowl comes to mind, too. I remember the coin toss by Denzel Washington (just a few months after the release of "Remember the Titans," so he was very popular at the time) and Bubba Burcham said he didn't even remember who tossed the coin. He said the entire team was so riled up over the disrespect they had been shown that they didn't calm down for days even after beating FSU.

85sooners
8/30/2012, 06:58 PM
Mel kipper is funny looking and is wrong alot

SoonerInFortSmith
8/30/2012, 07:51 PM
Mel kipper is funny looking and is wrong alot

This. His favorite movie of all time is Bram Stoker's Dracula.