PDA

View Full Version : SIAP: What do you think?

CowboyMRW
8/28/2012, 09:27 PM
Here is some info I got from a friend with OU coaching ties that's going around the interwebs. My friend lives in Austin and took the notes from the OU coach's son who he used to room with. Don't think he thought it would get out on the internet:

-There was lots of criticism of Brett Venables just before and obviously after he left. Bob openly said that Brett couldn't make a quick decision on defensive calls and that rubbed the players the wrong way because they were the ones that got chewed. Brent was terrible at getting plays called. He just sat and stared at the O too long.

- Venabes played the wrong kids in the wrong places according to their staff. Too much emphasis on the LB, and poor selection of safeties in terms of personnel. The problem is they've got to rework some of these guys' technique and get them back in the right positions. That will take time and growing pains.

- Josh Huepel is under tremendous scrutiny too apparently. He graded out badly in their reviews. His running game grade was pathetic and with the injuries on the Oline, the personnel won't be able to cover up for the scheme. Going to have to put it in Landry's hands.

- Corey Nelson hurt worse than is being told. Wort isn't as banged up as what's reported, but they're still not sure he's going to hold up all season. (Nelson is their only true playmaker in this unit. The other OLB is Gabe Lynn if their nickel and he's a DB. If Nelson is out for the Texas game they're in trouble because they'll likely have to go with Ibiloye, and I've said it before, but they're front 7 is a trainwreck.

- Ndulue (DE replacing King) is the person that Mike Stoops is putting a lot of effort into. Stoops thinks they can have a solid Dline if Ndulue can pick up technique quickly. Problem is that Ndulue may not hold up against a downhill rushing attack. Ndulue is 255 pound Redshirt soph. Lots of talent, but hasn't done a thing.

- They re-worked the two corner roles because they weren't adjusting to offenses well. I didnt get this - it went over my head--just that they were going more traditional. (I'm assuming they're going away from the field/boundary corner which would make the CB position more interchangeable.)

- They're moving King inside and it's probably going to be long term. Don't have the depth at DT and they have some talent at DE. If they're going 250, 275, 295, 255 at DL and 200, 225, 220 at LB with an inexperienced group this will be tough for the defense.

- They aren't optimistic about Saunders, the transfer from Fresno playing this season.

- Schmidt is fading. The team doesn't fear him like the early 2000's teams and he's not getting the support from Bob like he once did. Bob's much more distant and not backing Schmidt as hard core as he once did. The kids are starting to figure this out. Case in point is that Schmidt wanted Franks gone but Franks stood up to it and vowed he wouldn't leave quietly. Bob acquiesced and let Franks back on the team. The kids see that and it hurts Schmidt's credibility. Same thing happened last season when Bob played favorites that flew in the face of Schmidt's wishes.

-Mike Stoops has been brought in and he's much more of a head coach type than he was in the early 2000's. This has created a sense of almost two coaching staffs, one that's affiliated with Bob and one that's more beholden to Mike. That situation is cause for concern.

- There's a fear that recreational drug problems are widespread on the team. Mostly dope and painkillers. (We've been reporting this, but our source didn't think this had to do with Austin Box's parents seeking an investigation thus creating subsequent drug testing. Our source said that was just the culture of the team right now.)

One additional note.

- Venables is probably only staying at Clem 1 year than then he's off to the NFL.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=e335d8fd97a669470df1bedbf94e17d4&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shaggybevo.com%2Fboard%2Fshow thread.php%2F116352-Anyone-worried-about-m-stoops-being-back-at-ou%2Fpage2&v=1&libid=1346206404686&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therxforum.com%2Fshowthread.p hp%3Fp%3D9508690%26page%3D7&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shaggybevo.com%2Fboard%2Fshow thread.php%2F116352-Anyone-worried-about-m-stoops-being-back-at-ou%2Fpage3&title=Anyone%20worried%20about%20m%20stoops%20bein g%20back%20at%20ou%3F%20-%20Page%202&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therxforum.com%2Fshowthread.. .9508690%26amp%3Bpage%3D7&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13462072374002

Widescreen
8/28/2012, 09:31 PM
Random Internet dude says we're DOOMED! I notice he had nothing positive to say. LOL.

cleller
8/28/2012, 09:32 PM
Anyone know of an OU coach with a son in Austin?

I'm sure there are 100+ teams with similar soap operas in the making.

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2012, 09:38 PM
Random Internet dude, who lives in Austin, says we're DOOMED! I notice he had nothing positive to say. LOL.

FIFY

CowboyMRW
8/28/2012, 09:42 PM
I doubted there was actually much to it, but this list seems to be making the rounds of the interwebz

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2012, 09:45 PM
I doubted there was actually much to it, but this list seems to be making the rounds of the interwebz

It one of those lists that hits all the current hot points, so it gives it an air of "truthiness". Time will reveal all.

Soonerwake
8/28/2012, 09:48 PM
For the 10000000000000th time, why do we keep these pokes around? So, our coaching staff is imploding, our defense won't stop anyone and our offense cant run the ball, and our players are all dopers??? I guess all we got left are Tress Way and the horse pigs...

Go post this drivel on your own board and you sheep lovers can circle jerk to it over there..

CowboyMRW
8/28/2012, 10:01 PM
For the 10000000000000th time, why do we keep these pokes around? So, our coaching staff is imploding, our defense won't stop anyone and our offense cant run the ball, and our players are all dopers??? I guess all we got left are Tress Way and the horse pigs...

Go post this drivel on your own board and you sheep lovers can circle jerk to it over there..

Chill bro.

I didn't write this, it was something I saw. As quickly as it's spreading, it probably would've ended up on this board tomorrow morning by a fellow Sooner. I just wanted to get thoughts from fans that are close to the program.

8timechamps
8/28/2012, 10:05 PM
There is so much about that which is laughable. From the opening lines:

Here is some info I got from a friend with OU coaching ties that's going around the interwebs. My friend lives in Austin and took the notes from the OU coach's son who he used to room with. Don't think he thought it would get out on the internet:

So, we're supposed to believe there is an OU coach that sits and tells the inner-workings of the program to his son, who happens to live in Austin and happens to have shared this information? Yeah, not so much.

- Josh Huepel is under tremendous scrutiny too apparently. He graded out badly in their reviews. His running game grade was pathetic and with the injuries on the Oline, the personnel won't be able to cover up for the scheme. Going to have to put it in Landry's hands

What?! This is so dumb, I don't even know where to start.

Then there's this gem:

Mike Stoops has been brought in and he's much more of a head coach type than he was in the early 2000's. This has created a sense of almost two coaching staffs, one that's affiliated with Bob and one that's more beholden to Mike. That situation is cause for concern.

Yeah, I'm sure Mike would assist in splitting the staff. Such drivel.

BoomerJ
8/28/2012, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't doubt that it all started in Austin.

Keller Sooner
8/28/2012, 11:19 PM
I stopped reading with, "my friend lives in Austin."

DarrellZero
8/28/2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Mike would assist in splitting the staff. Such drivel.

This. As if Mike would lead some sort of rebellion against his own brother.

SoonerLB
8/28/2012, 11:37 PM
Let the azzhats keep passing that garbage around, then they can use the paper to wipe away the tears after we kick their team's arses! ;)

prrriiide
8/29/2012, 05:30 AM
So, we're supposed to believe there is an OU coach that sits and tells the inner-workings of the program to his son, who happens to live in Austin and happens to have shared this information? Yeah, not so much.

I think its a stroke of genius. It worked when Ike let it leak that Patton would invade Europe at Pas de Calais, too.

OUTrumpet
8/29/2012, 06:16 AM
Then there's this gem:

- Josh Huepel is under tremendous scrutiny too apparently. He graded out badly in their reviews. His running game grade was pathetic and with the injuries on the Oline, the personnel won't be able to cover up for the scheme. Going to have to put it in Landry's hands

Honestly, I don't know if this is true or not with the coaches, but I wasn't impressed with Heupal last year. Can't remember how many times I was screaming at the television to just run the ball from the no huddle. I can't believe we would get sit in formation and run the play-clock down to less than 10 and even some delay of games. If it's gonna take Heupal time to get the play-call in, huddle up. Don't tip your hand. That ticked me off to no end last year.

Breadburner
8/29/2012, 06:50 AM
Op is a doosh...

swardboy
8/29/2012, 07:08 AM
Silly, silly horns....and their useful idiots, the cowpukes.

olevetonahill
8/29/2012, 07:15 AM
What do I think? I think you are grasping at straws to keep from feeling so skeered about that 100 buck bet you made me

Dream on for at least a few weeks :triumphant:

picasso
8/29/2012, 08:00 AM
Sounds like wishful thinking.

85sooners
8/29/2012, 08:39 AM
Bsbsbsbsbsbsbs

MamaMia
8/29/2012, 09:07 AM
Chill bro.

I didn't write this, it was something I saw. As quickly as it's spreading, it probably would've ended up on this board tomorrow morning by a fellow Sooner. I just wanted to get thoughts from fans that are close to the program.

Nothing special. I don't feel defensive about this but I do find it slightly offensive.

Soonerntxs
8/29/2012, 12:28 PM
Ok all, I hear that a poke coach was telling his Xwife, who happend to be gettin frisky with the wrestlin team, that 1/2 of the pokes is addicted to HOOKA and the other 1/2 is addicted to late night naked sheep...I mean fence fixin! Well this being said, she tells everyone at the feedstore that they (little brother) are NC bound and that those SOONERS will be going down!

8timechamps
8/29/2012, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I don't know if this is true or not with the coaches, but I wasn't impressed with Heupal last year. Can't remember how many times I was screaming at the television to just run the ball from the no huddle. I can't believe we would get sit in formation and run the play-clock down to less than 10 and even some delay of games. If it's gonna take Heupal time to get the play-call in, huddle up. Don't tip your hand. That ticked me off to no end last year.

Sure, we as fans always have issues with some aspect of the team, but being aggravated about the way plays are being called is as old as the game, and lends no credibility to this being authentic.

Aren't all coaches at OU (and any other elite program) under "tremendous scrutiny"? Of course they are. The clear give-away that this is nonsense is the part that says "with the injuries on the Oline, the personnel won't be able to cover up for the scheme. Going to have to put it in Landry's hands" Anyone that has paid attention to this team (and I would suspect a coach would know), knows we had more depth on the O-line (prior to the injuries) than anywhere else. While the depth has been thinned, there really is minimal drop-off in starting "personnel".

UberSooner
8/29/2012, 02:25 PM
Chill bro.

I'm sure if it was singing O.U.'s praises you would have been just as interested in the "thoughts from fans that are close to the program." You posted it because it was negative. Just own it.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/29/2012, 04:52 PM
Interesting bit their Cowboy..

I don't see what the big deal is with him posting it..He didn't say it himself, he found it and justed posted it here for us to see..

Basically the team can prove most of this wrong or right this season with their play..

picasso
8/29/2012, 04:59 PM
Interesting bit their Cowboy..

I don't see what the big deal is with him posting it..He didn't say it himself, he found it and justed posted it here for us to see..

Basically the team can prove most of this wrong or right this season with their play..
Why should we have to dispute a gaggle of rumors originally posted by some nerd on the internet?

And the problem I have with the poke is the fact that I played golf a few years ago (quite often) with an oSu coach and his brother, but I wasn't a goofy dork and posting everything I heard about the oSu program on the internet. AND, I didn't go running to any delusional poke board to get their reaction.

That's just me though.

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2012, 05:12 PM
I don't feel any need to dispute the rumors posted here.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/29/2012, 05:19 PM
I don't feel any need to dispute the rumors posted here.

This...plus I thought it was entertaining..the corner stuff is true which both of the starters have said it's much easier now that they won't have to switch around..I don't know about the off the field stuff.

Anyway,Cowboy has been a good poster here and maybe if had been someone who has tried to start trouble, I would take it a little different.

cccasooner2
8/29/2012, 05:35 PM
Random Internet dude says we're DOOMED! I notice he had nothing positive to say. LOL.

And, he's concerned. ROFLMAO

Wishboned
8/29/2012, 06:13 PM
-There was lots of criticism of Brett Venables just before and obviously after he left. Bob openly said that Brett couldn't make a quick decision on defensive calls and that rubbed the players the wrong way because they were the ones that got chewed. Brent was terrible at getting plays called. He just sat and stared at the O too long.

Who the **** is Brett Venables?

CowboyMRW
8/29/2012, 09:29 PM
Op is a doosh...

I get that a lot :)

What do I think? I think you are grasping at straws to keep from feeling so skeered about that 100 buck bet you made me

Dream on for at least a few weeks :triumphant:

Haha, The Texas game for me is our make or break game, so that's when I'll figure out either what to do with an extra 100 or where to ship it.

CowboyMRW
8/29/2012, 09:33 PM
Why should we have to dispute a gaggle of rumors originally posted by some nerd on the internet?

And the problem I have with the poke is the fact that I played golf a few years ago (quite often) with an oSu coach and his brother, but I wasn't a goofy dork and posting everything I heard about the oSu program on the internet. AND, I didn't go running to any delusional poke board to get their reaction.

That's just me though.

I wasn't trying to start anything. It was just something I found and I genuinely wanted to know what yall thought and I figured most would get a laugh. I didn't go post it on OP.com or anything like that to get my fellow fans reaction.

olevetonahill
8/29/2012, 09:34 PM
I get that a lot :)

Haha, The Texas game for me is our make or break game, so that's when I'll figure out either what to do with an extra 100 or where to ship it.

What yer gonna do with that Hunnert is ship it right on down to me , Ima buy some beer some whiskey and some snacks and watch OU win its #8

CowboyMRW
8/29/2012, 09:35 PM
What yer gonna do with that Hunnert is ship it right on down to me , Ima buy some beer some whiskey and some snacks and watch OU win its #8

If yall are good enough to get there, I'll be cheering for yall

olevetonahill
8/29/2012, 09:42 PM
If yall are good enough to get there, I'll be cheering for yall

I believe we good enough to get there Now just gotta hope we lucky enough to not suffer any key injuries and ****.

CowboyMRW
8/29/2012, 09:57 PM
I believe we good enough to get there Now just gotta hope we lucky enough to not suffer any key injuries and ****.

Good enough was a wrong word choice. I think fortunate is more appropriate.

olevetonahill
8/29/2012, 10:00 PM
Good enough was a wrong word choice. I think fortunate is more appropriate.

We have to avoid those dayum injuries that have killed us these past few years . when you lose Key players in droves the way we have aint much good gonna happen

CowboyMRW
8/29/2012, 10:09 PM
We have to avoid those dayum injuries that have killed us these past few years . when you lose Key players in droves the way we have aint much good gonna happen

Definitely. Avoiding injuries is the most important thing IMO. The Broyles one almost teared me up. He's one of my favorite guys to follow on Twitter and I was sad to see him go down. Hopefully he does work lining up on the other side of Megatron on Sundays. I drafted him in my keeper league.

I hope someone from the Big 12 can knock off the SEC. I'm tired of hearing about them and ESPN can DIAF.

Aries
8/29/2012, 10:17 PM
I'm not close to the program, but here's my reaction...

It just doesn't sound credible. </shrug>