PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Campaign For Barkley

marfacowboy
8/28/2012, 06:14 PM
....is in full swing. They're going off tonight (on tv) about how "he's the clear #1," blah, blah, blah. We haven't even played a game! I think we know the top five or six guys, but to say one is the clear leader is sensationalist, money motivated BS. They've decided this is their guy, and they've basically launched a campaign to support him.
Desmond basically ignored Landry because of our "depleted line."

Here's an article on ESPN Insiders today:

-----------------
Ranking Heisman front-runners
By Ryan McCrystal
ESPN Insider

http://insider.espn.go.com/photo/2012/0825/ncf_mbarkley_sy_576.jpg

Entering 2012, Matt Barkley has all three crucial Heisman keys working in his favor.
Last week we gave you 18 Heisman candidates broken down into three groups.

This week, we go more in depth on the five players we designated last week as the preseason front-runners for the 2012 season.

Using the Heisman Predictor as our guide, we've ranked the top five candidates based on who currently has the best chance to hoist the trophy in New York City at season's end.

1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC Trojans

It's difficult to make a case for anyone other than Barkley as the preseason favorite. The Heisman Predictor takes into consideration a variety of variables, which can essentially be broken down into three categories: individual stats, team success and name recognition.

Many candidates will build a Heisman resume based on one or two of these categories, but Barkley has all three working in his favor. Let's take a look:

Individual stats: Barkely's 39 passing touchdowns ranked third in 2011 and tops among returning players.
Team success: The AP Poll, which consists of numerous Heisman voters, gave Barkley's Trojans the top spot in its preseason ranking.
Name recognition: Barkley is one of two returning players to finish in the top 10 of last year's Heisman voting.

There is a downside to Barkley's position as the runaway favorite, however. Voters are expecting perfection from Barkley and the Trojans, which means one slip-up many open the door for other candidates. The game to watch will be against the Oregon Ducks on Nov. 3 -- potentially USC's only showdown with a top-10 foe. A late-season loss against the Ducks, even if it's USC's only defeat, may be enough to knock Barkley out of contention.

2. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina Gamecocks

When Lattimore went down with an injury in 2011, he was on pace for roughly 1,500 yards and 18 touchdowns. If he can simply duplicate that success, he'll be in the Heisman conversation. To separate himself from the rest of the pack, however, Lattimore will need something more.

Fortunately, there's more than one way Lattimore can make a name for himself, which is why he ranks highly as a preseason candidate. The most direct route would be to take South Carolina to the National Championship game -- a scenario that isn't too far-fetched for the ninth-ranked Gamecocks. A win against the LSU Tigers or Alabama Crimson Tide in the SEC title game would certainly make a strong final impression on the voters.

The other route to the Heisman for Lattimore would be through his personal stats. A 2,000 yard season in the SEC -- especially with defenses such as Georgia and LSU on the schedule -- could swing voters in Lattimore's direction.

3. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma Sooners

For those who remember Jones' late-season performance in 2011 (zero touchdowns, five interceptions in Oklahoma's final three regular-season games), it's probably tough to view him as a serious candidate. But it's a new season, and Heisman voters tend to have very short memories.

Jones certainly needs to improve in order to win the award, but he stands out as a strong preseason candidate based purely on the number of opportunities he'll have to shine in the spotlight. Oklahoma has five preseason top-25 teams on the schedule, and that doesn't even include its midseason showdown with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, which is sure to draw significant media attention.

Even if Jones slips up in one or two of these games early on, he'll have an opportunity to make a late-season run at the Heisman -- the Sooners close their season with a brutal three-game stretch against the West Virginia Mountaineers, Oklahoma State Cowboys and TCU Horned Frogs.

4. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan Wolverines

Sometimes one game is the difference between winning and losing the Heisman, and that could certainly be the case for Robinson. If the man they call "Shoelace" carries the Wolverines to a memorable opening-weekend upset of Alabama with the eyes of the nation watching, he would immediately become the Heisman favorite.

Voters tend to look down on the Big Ten schedule, questioning the accomplishments of candidates such as Robinson, but a signature win against an elite SEC opponent would silence Robinson's doubters.

On the downside, a loss may eliminate him from contention. If Robinson struggles against Alabama, his detractors would have their suspicions confirmed and no performance against the likes of the Nebraska Cornhuskers or Ohio State Buckeyes would change their mind.

5. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin Badgers

As one of the two returning players from the top 10 of the Heisman voting, it's impossible to ignore Ball as a preseason candidate. But he's definitely the long-shot of the preseason favorites. Voters are often moved by Heisman resumes that exceed their initial expectations. And rarely, if ever, do the Heisman voters award the trophy to a player who hasn't posted a career year. So for Ball to make another serious run at the award, he'll need to best his video game-like stats from 2011.

One way for Ball to win the award without matching last year's stats would be to exceed expectations in other ways, namely, with team success.

If he can carry Wisconsin to the National Championship game, voters may be drawn to Ball, partially for his 2012 success and partially as a "lifetime achievement" award. In 2009, Colt McCoy made a run at the Heisman in similar fashion but ultimately fell just short, finishing third behind Mark Ingram and Toby Gerhart.

Ryan McCrystal is the developer of the Heisman Predictor formula and writes about it during the college football season for Insider.

cccasooner2
8/28/2012, 06:36 PM
Teddy and Dusty had Landry at #4 on the Rush today and also Barkley #1. #2 and #3 Latimore and Ball but I don't remember the order.

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2012, 06:36 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the article or the logic within.

thunderfan
8/28/2012, 07:28 PM
yep, looks good to me

marfacowboy
8/28/2012, 07:59 PM
I know a coordinated media campaign when I see one.

badger
8/29/2012, 08:11 AM
I know a coordinated media campaign when I see one.

I dunno if you're a Poke or a Big D fan, so I will ignore your username and assume you're normal :D

Nobody can say with a straight face that there haven't been similar full-blown campaigns for OU Heisman candidates in the past that have been filled with preseason hype that would annoy the hell outta opposing fans.

Landry and Ryan were at ESPN headquarters last year talking (jokingly) about how they were going to win the Co-Heisman.

Before LJ and RB, Demarco hype was out in full-throttle (especially after the RRS spinaroonie touchdown)

Before DM7, there was hype for Sammie (remember the blingy golf cart that Desmond Howard rolled up while Sam was playing golf on Gameday one morning?)

And before Sammie, there was AD (still remember our intro video having him doing a Heisman pose... uggggh, then the collarbone)

Before All Day, there was Jason overcoming all crazy obstacles and two ACLs to throw TDs everywhere.

The list goes on. I hate USC too for that of which we do not speak and other reasons, but yeah, we're pretty annoying to others in the Heisman Hype category too :D

85sooners
8/29/2012, 08:30 AM
Matt barkely will choke against cal

badger
8/29/2012, 08:49 AM
Matt barkely will choke against cal

Nah, that'll save Tedford's job and he really needs to get fired so that the Pac isn't left to the Oregons and USCs.

He needs to choke versus Wazzu so that the Pac is on Pirate Watch notice :D

85sooners
8/29/2012, 08:54 AM
Leach=PAC coach of the year!

badger
8/29/2012, 09:20 AM

Leach=Pac 12 champs (screw you oregon and sc)

marfacowboy
8/29/2012, 09:42 AM
I dunno if you're a Poke or a Big D fan, so I will ignore your username and assume you're normal :D

I can assure you, I'm neither. I'm the dime store variety type. Never grew out of my "cowboy" fantasy I had as a kid.
My wife says I just like to play dress up. :abnormal:

Nobody can say with a straight face that there haven't been similar full-blown campaigns for OU Heisman candidates in the past that have been filled with preseason hype that would annoy the hell outta opposing fans.

I reckon so. But it's ok when it's for a Sooner. No hypocrisy here, no way!

85sooners
8/29/2012, 09:55 AM
Leach=Pac 12 champs (screw you oregon and sc)
Wazzu rose bowl champs

badger
8/29/2012, 11:02 AM
Wazzu rose bowl champs

That would be awesome, because B1G programs think too highly of themselves too.

Leach = Pac 12, Rose Bowl champs.

Texas Tech = 0-12 in 2012

AZSOONER
8/29/2012, 12:06 PM
espn did the same thing with Luck last year and we all know how that turned out.

SOFSooner
8/29/2012, 01:57 PM
Wait til u have to work 15 feet from a die hard condom fan, I hear a bunch of bs on how superior the condoms will be this year because their quarterback is the second coming, and their receivers have fly paper for hands and will catch anything within 1/4 mile. Hopefully the Pirate can stomp on the condoms this year.

badger
8/29/2012, 02:06 PM
espn did the same thing with Luck last year and we all know how that turned out.

Not Luck's fault that Baylor had a better story prepared. Stanford's had good quarterbacks and football success before.

Baylor didn't have football before RG3 arrived, and won't have football ever again now that RG3's gone.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/29/2012, 02:33 PM

Dont know about this....but would it shock anyone to see them have a fairly bumpy year, but show up with bells on to upset SUC? It would be greatness

SoonerinSouthlake
8/29/2012, 02:38 PM
How often do the pre-season Heisman locks actually win the hardware?

I'll give you Mark Ingram year before last...but other than that, who was a preseason fave?

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2012, 03:20 PM
How often do the pre-season Heisman locks actually win the hardware?

I'll give you Mark Ingram year before last...but other than that, who was a preseason fave?

I'm not even sure Ingram was #1 preseason. Some Heisman segment I was watching this week claimed that Leinart in '04 was the last winner that started at the top in preseason.

As far as campaign goes, I'm still not seeing it. If I had the assignment of publishing the list (silly, but it would be my job) and I'm supposed to be an expert on CFB, I can't see how Barkley wouldn't be at the top or near the top of my list. He meets all the historical checkpoints while other players are missing at least one. I guess I could leave him off to be a contrarian, but not if I'm being honest.

picasso
8/29/2012, 05:01 PM
He never could beat Jordan in the finals. Great player though.