PDA

View Full Version : Will you pull for Penn State?

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 07:04 PM
Looking at the TV schedule, it appears that Penn State is going to be on TV (at least early in the season). If you happen to catch a game, will you be pulling for PSU to win or lose? ESPN posted this in a poll, and I was curious how SF.com thought of this.

olevetonahill
8/27/2012, 07:07 PM
Hell I wouldnt watch em if they were the only game on let alone root fer em

Jacie
8/27/2012, 07:21 PM
In light of what we know now versus last season when everyone felt the rush-to-judgement against JoePa was unfair, i will take delight in watching their opponents extract their pound of flesh from the nittany lion . . .

On a related note:

‘Sweet Caroline’ is no longer welcome at Penn State football games

Don't expect to hear Neil Diamond's hit "Sweet Caroline" at Penn State football games this season.

According to Cory Geiger, a writer for the Altoona Mirror, the song has been cut from the rotation along with several other tunes, but he didn't know which ones.

"Sweet Caroline," which is a big fan participation song during games, is being cut because of the lyrics, more specifically the line "touching me, touching you."

Full article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/sweet-caroline-no-longer-welcome-penn-state-football-170850928--ncaaf.html;_ylt=Ao4TI5g.m6PDf4YYOO8sd0wcvrYF;_ylu= X3oDMTQwN21jMmlyBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBOQ0 FBRgRwa2cDYzI2YThmYzctZjA3Yy0xMWUxLWJmZmYtNzM5OWU0 ZGMyYTJjBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNtZWdhdHJvbgR2ZXIDYzI2YjJjMD ItZjA3Yy0xMWUxLWJhN2QtNzA5NmI1YWVmOWI5;_ylg=X3oDMT FqdXByMzhlBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBz dGNhdANuY2FhZgRwdANzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3

8/27/2012, 08:02 PM
How many of us ever gave a flip about them before. I don't hate them now. But given their unfortunate status now, I still have the same irrelevant feelings for them to do well. Meh.

budbarrybob
8/27/2012, 08:07 PM
I've always like their hard nosed football style and the history prior to the Sandusky incident. Although that style is rather outdated and boring now, I don't think I'll ever look upon that program with much respect anymore. Maybe that can change over time.

jk the sooner fan
8/27/2012, 08:11 PM
i dont know what going out of your way to be against a group of kids that had zero to do with the scandal accomplishes

i wont root for them but i wont be getting any personal satisfaction if they lose

i'm indifferent - those kids are still young men who have had their lives turned upside down by a monster and an administration that lost their way

soonerloyal
8/27/2012, 08:28 PM
Aw, fer petesakes...of course I will. I grew up in a generation that watched & respected the Penn State program. It's not those kids' faults what was done by a few immoral creep arseholes. Cheezums Crow, it wasn't the fault of the players, past, present & future, that Sandusky and those ball-less blunderers did their evil. I have no problem rooting for the Nittany Lions - and can't understand why any of us would.

8/27/2012, 08:33 PM
I agree, I think. Don't wish them bad, but this is a bad situation that is no fault of their own, and I hope they avoid the fallout.

No good answers at State College.

It will die for a while.

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 08:41 PM
Aw, fer petesakes...of course I will. I grew up in a generation that watched & respected the Penn State program. It's not those kids' faults what was done by a few immoral creep arseholes. Cheezums Crow, it wasn't the fault of the players, past, present & future, that Sandusky and those ball-less blunderers did their evil. I have no problem rooting for the Nittany Lions - and can't understand why any of us would.

This is where I am too. Never was a JoPa fan, but always respected PSU and the way they played. I do feel bad for the kids in the program, they didn't ask to be part of the scandal (and they aren't). I'm very happy Justin Brown chose to end his college career as a Sooner, but I have to say that I will be pulling for PSU. Not for the fans, for the kids that are doing the best they can in a bad situation.

Sooner95
8/27/2012, 08:46 PM
Living out here, they are on..Every. Single. Day.

No

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 08:55 PM
Living out here, they are on..Every. Single. Day.

No

Yeah, but you're probably sick of seeing them...that's completely different, but also understandable.

8/27/2012, 09:37 PM
I think most of us are human. While I never cared, and still don't about penn state, I wish them the best to get past this stain that is the fault of a few.

setem
8/27/2012, 09:45 PM
I am not going to watch their games, I really do not watch any game besides the Sooners. I sure will pull for the players! They did nothing wrong and they deserve something for their hardwork, so I would like to see them succeed in this terrible spot they are in.

70sooner
8/27/2012, 09:45 PM
How many of us ever gave a flip about them before. I don't hate them now. But given their unfortunate status now, I still have the same irrelevant feelings for them to do well. Meh.

this, pretty much......

Boomer.....
8/28/2012, 07:30 AM
I didn't before, so why would I now

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2012, 07:44 AM
So which two of you likes to diddly daddle with the little boys?

sooneredaco
8/28/2012, 07:47 AM
Doubt it

Mississippi Sooner
8/28/2012, 07:59 AM
I'm in the camp of never cared before and won't start now. Mostly, it's because they are a Big 10 team playing Big 10 football. I'd rather go out and watch squirrels run up and down a tree.

85sooners
8/28/2012, 08:03 AM
Big 10 is stupid!

badger
8/28/2012, 08:04 AM
Don't even tune in. The less they're on the TV, the further that program will sink and the less we have to hear about them.

olevetonahill
8/28/2012, 08:06 AM
So some of ya saying ya will root fer em Cause it aint the players fault? Really?

Well then by that logic go ahead and Root fer Saxet and lSu while yer at it . It aint their players faults those places are cesspools and the coaches are giant dooshes .

badger
8/28/2012, 08:14 AM
OK... whether it's the players' fault or not, did anyone even like Penn State that much before? Their fans were complete arseholes who trash visitors, their Big Ten brand of football is boring as hell, they haven't even been that good recently (by OU standards, not by normal program standards).

If this incident didn't occur, you all would be like "Who cares about Penn State" and now that it's happened, why should anything change? It's still boring football, it's still in front of an arsehole fanbase and it's still a crap product (and even moreso now that we stole their primary receiver, hehe)

SoonerinSouthlake
8/28/2012, 08:47 AM
not only will I not root for them this year...I will root hard against them in 3-5 years when they get a little taste of success and become a "feel good" story for country.

I hope they have the same 25 year struggle SMU has had

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2012, 08:47 AM
So some of ya saying ya will root fer em Cause it aint the players fault? Really?

Well then by that logic go ahead and Root fer Saxet and lSu while yer at it . It aint their players faults those places are cesspools and the coaches are giant dooshes .

i guess i dont see a connection in your comparison

i'm not rooting for them - but im not going out of my way to root against them...i doubt i'll give PSU anymore thought this year than i ever have...

olevetonahill
8/28/2012, 08:53 AM
i guess i dont see a connection in your comparison

i'm not rooting for them - but im not going out of my way to root against them...i doubt i'll give PSU anymore thought this year than i ever have...

Then i guess it wernt aimed at you then were it .

tycat947
8/28/2012, 09:03 AM
Don't even tune in. The less they're on the TV, the further that program will sink and the less we have to hear about them.

This^^^

Hope they lose every game from now on!

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2012, 09:09 AM
Then i guess it wernt aimed at you then were it .

i have no idea who it was aimed at

i was just "talking"....not attacking

badger
8/28/2012, 09:12 AM
OK, ok, I will *try* to cheer for Penn State. Here goes:

HOORAY! Another 3-yard gain with a run up the middle!

YAY!!!! Another 3-yard gain with a run up the middle!

ALL RIGHT! ANOTHER THREE YARD GAIN WITH A RUN UP THE MIDDLE!

LOOK AT THAT PUNT SPIN AND SOAR HIGH ABOVE A SEA OF WHITE T-SHIRTS AND WHITE HELMETS AND WHITE POM-POMS!!!!

OH MY GAWD THIS IS SO F***ING EXCITING!!!!!!!

No, I can't do it. B1G football is too boring. Give me Big 12 or give me death.

PrideMom
8/28/2012, 09:12 AM
I always thought they were overrated, and never liked them to begin with......

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2012, 09:29 AM
save your hate for the teams that matter!

St. Louis Sooner
8/28/2012, 10:35 AM
The only interesting aspect of PSU football is seeing how their fanbase will cope with their experiences from death (Paterno), near-death (football program), ongoing legal troubles, extreme loss of face, etc, ... I can just imagine that they are all head-cases right now, especially the die-hard fans. I mean should Happy Valley be on the national sex-offenders list? All this will garner from me is a 5 - 10 minute stop on the cable TV channel IF they are on (early in the season) ... otherwise I could care less.

SoonerNomad
8/28/2012, 11:03 AM
I will root for my friends that are long time fans of the program. I will root for the victims. I will root for justice for those that didn't live up to their moral obligations. I will root this type of thing never happens again. And I will root that someone who has always been scared to talk about a friend that might be doing something similar is now too scared to keep quiet.

oudanny
8/28/2012, 11:28 AM
I didn't pull for them before so no need to now.

sooner_born_1960
8/28/2012, 11:33 AM
It's been about 27 years since I cared one way or another about Penn St.

zeke
8/28/2012, 11:45 AM
I didnt like them before and certainly dont now. I didnt like the attitude "We are Penn St" so that makes us better than everyone else. Didnt like the old man that was coaching them or anything else about them.

Watching Paterno during the NC game that OU won & seeing him get so pissed was GREAT. I wish he was still here to see what was going on now.

So ABSOLUTLY NOT WILL I EVER ROOT FOR penn st.

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2012, 11:52 AM
i dont get the angst over the teams that use the "we are" slogans

it's just a slogan......we use "there is only ONE Oklahoma" which really says the same thing...it's just something for our fans so why are we bothered when another team does something for their own fan base?

every team needs a rally cry....right?

TheUnnamedSooner
8/28/2012, 11:53 AM
Where's the "depends" option? It's terrible what happened there, but it's not the players fault. If they ever play texas, usc, notre dame, etc. Then yeah, i would probably pull for 'em.

Pricetag
8/28/2012, 12:16 PM
not only will I not root for them this year...I will root hard against them in 3-5 years when they get a little taste of success and become a "feel good" story for country.

I hope they have the same 25 year struggle SMU has had
This. That football program can't become a "feel good" story. The only ones who deserve that are the victims. Let the program wallow in mediocrity, or worse, for however long it takes for them to heal.

PalmBeachSooner
8/28/2012, 12:18 PM
Hell I wouldnt watch em if they were the only game on let alone root fer em

Egg-zackery.

Soonerjeepman
8/28/2012, 12:23 PM
neither root for them to lose or win...honestly could care less

8timechamps
8/28/2012, 12:35 PM

I don't think anyone outside of real PSU fans are hoping they have an incredible year. Of course everyone here (well, 99.9%) are Sooners, and don't really care about other team's success. Which, is pretty much me included.

However, comparing Texas and ISU to PSU is apples and oranges. This question isn't "Do you like PSU more than any other team?". We all watch other games, well I do anyway, and usually want one team to win (not because we love that school, or for any other reason besides it's kind of human nature to pick a side). Sure, I'll root for PSU when I see them.

AZSOONER
8/28/2012, 02:12 PM
I have never watched a penn st game, no reason to start now.

ouleaf
8/28/2012, 03:45 PM
Didn't pull for them before, don't really have any reason to start now.

EatLeadCommie
8/28/2012, 05:29 PM
I'm going to be indifferent, but after a few years of them paying their dues and sucking balls, I think people will be rooting for them again. Americans love stories of redemption.

picasso
8/28/2012, 05:31 PM
hmm, bad choice of words dude.

MamaMia
8/28/2012, 09:45 PM
It pretty much depends on who they'll be playing whether or not I'll cheer for them.

BoomerJ
8/28/2012, 10:17 PM

Yeah. I don't know if that was pun intended or not.

soonerloyal
8/28/2012, 11:26 PM
There's a difference between wishing ill on a bunch of young men that did nothing wrong and rooting for a heated rival. The players had nothing to do with a non-football program related group of crimes. Nor does my lifelong admiration of a program have anything to do with diddly daddling little boys or anyone else.

Check the Vet Juice, dear. Ingredients might need to be adjusted.

cleller
8/29/2012, 07:57 AM
I don't think I'll pull for them, and think they are going into has-beenville for a long time. I will admit that I was impressed by their white-outs and the participation at their stadium. It was a great college football scene, and they did it right.

EatLeadCommie
8/29/2012, 03:10 PM
Ha. Unintended on my part. Good catch.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
8/29/2012, 05:13 PM
I've rooted against Penn State ever since Joe Paterno infamously dissed the King, and I will continue to do so with all the joyous schadenfreude of having seen Paterno revealed as the hypocrite he was.

I'm childish that way.