PDA

View Full Version : Alabama vs. Michigan

SteelClip49
8/27/2012, 12:01 PM
anyone going besides me? I have standing room tickets. Not a bad deal. It should be a dandy. Then I will head over to the Twisted Root Burger Company for an ostrich burger, a shake and watch the OU victory over UTEP!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2012, 12:07 PM
I will prolly watch part of it on the tevee.(the hype for both teams will be nauseating, so there's that)It's at some neutral field, right?

badger
8/27/2012, 12:21 PM
If Bammer loses, how soon before they're hyped back into the top 10.

No offense to Bammers, but the SEC sh!t has gone overboard to the point that losses don't kick teams outta the title discussion, even if other worthy teams are undefeated.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2012, 12:25 PM

No offense to Bammers, but the SEC sh!t has gone overboard to the point that losses don't kick teams outta the title discussion, even if other worthy teams are undefeated.

Even if Bama loses, there is no way they drop from the top 10 unless they get blown out. I can't see that happening.

8/27/2012, 12:37 PM
Even if Bama loses, there is no way they drop from the top 10 unless they get blown out. I can't see that happening.meatchicken will NOT be beating bammers. Even though it's a first game and gonna be sloppy, it will be one-sided, I predict.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/27/2012, 12:44 PM
anyone going besides me? I have standing room tickets. Not a bad deal.

How much are tickets? I'm interested

badger
8/27/2012, 12:44 PM
meatchicken will NOT be beating bammers. Even though it's a first game and gonna be sloppy, it will be one-sided, I predict.

Remember when we blindly tossed around the term "reloaded" instead of "rebuilding" in 2005?

If Bammerham thinks they can "win forever," Amazon.com has a Pete Carroll autobiography on sale for them

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 01:17 PM
I think Michigan gives Bama a game, and could possibly squeak out a win. As tired of hearing about the SEC as we are, the players (not in the SEC) have to be sick of it. Michigan has some talent on this year's squad, and I think Denard Robinson is going to give Bama fits. If Bama is going to lose, the first game of the year against a ranked team is as good a chance as any. I could also see Bama controlling the clock, and the game being something like 14-10. Should be a fun one to kick off the season.

As for the nauseating media hype of the SEC, I really hope this is the year that all ends.

JLEW1818
8/27/2012, 01:25 PM
Bama is a 13 point fav..... any Michigan +13 takers? I kinda like it.

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 01:30 PM
Bama is a 13 point fav..... any Michigan +13 takers? I kinda like it.

I'll take the 13.

kbsooner21
8/27/2012, 02:07 PM
I'm all over the 13

dennis580
8/27/2012, 02:33 PM

Unless its a bad loss Bama will stay in the top 10. Not going to drop the #2 team too much for losing to the #8 team.

If Boren wasn't so stubborn we would be in the SEC instead of Missouri.

Sabanball
8/27/2012, 02:33 PM

Two words: Iowa State.

Yep, Bama is just a creation of the media. No way they deserve to be in the top 10 on their own.:cower:

badger
8/27/2012, 02:37 PM
Iowa State.
Lucky bastards :P

dennis580
8/27/2012, 02:37 PM
You always have a chance with a guy like Denard Robinson. So I wouldn't actually be surprised by a Michigan win especially with this being the first game of the year.

Sabanball
8/27/2012, 02:44 PM
You always have a chance with a guy like Denard Robinson. So I wouldn't actually be surprised by a Michigan win especially with this being the first game of the year.

Believe me, he's our biggest worry. I think he will make some plays and no way we completely shut him down, but the question is can he do it enough to beat us.

I'm predicting that it will be closer than many think but in the second half I think we will wear them down with our punishing ground game. The disparity between their D and our O-line is ridiculous(our line has 95 combined starts and a returning Outland winner) and with our balanced attack they cannot stack the box. I'm thinking conservatively something around 24-10 or 21-10

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2012, 03:03 PM
Lucky bastards :P

Yep. Bama was lucky *and* the pokes were lucky. Instead of getting pounded by LSU, they get to whine about being unjustly omitted from the final and talk about how they would have won if only given a chance. The unlucky bastages were LSU having 'Bama get a mulligan for a game they should have won the firt time around.

85sooners
8/27/2012, 03:07 PM
Bama gets embarrassed !!

Sabanball
8/27/2012, 03:10 PM
Bama gets embarrassed !!

And you base that prediction on what?

XingTheRubicon
8/27/2012, 03:14 PM
kind of like Bama and their fans, but they're going down this year

Sabanball
8/27/2012, 03:17 PM
Sounds about right to me......

Game of the Week - Michigan vs. Alabama

Michigan DE Craig Roh By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Aug 27, 2012

Share on twitterShare on facebook| More Sharing ServicesMore

Away we go. The season starts out with a gigantic showdown. - The CFN Alabama - Michigan Fearless Prediction.

2012 Fearless Predictions

Week 1 - Michigan vs. Bama

Follow Us @CFBNews | E-mail Us

- FREE EXPERT COLLEGE FOOTBALL SELECTIONS

GAME OF THE WEEK

Michigan (0-0) vs. Alabama (0-0) in Arlington, Sept. 1, 8:00, ABC

Here’s The Deal: To close out the 1999 season, Tom Brady and Michigan beat Shaun Alexander and Alabama 35-34 in a classic Orange Bowl that ranks among the greatest college football games of all-time.

This is bigger.

This is either the moment when one of college football’s leaders and best rises up to show that it’s ready to play the role of superpower again, or it will be a chance for the defending national champion to flex its muscle and prove to the world that it’s an SEC world with everyone else simply playing for fun?

Can Michigan come up with the shocker and show that it belongs among the national title favorites? This is one of the Big Ten’s top teams going into the season in Brady Hoke’s second year at the helm, and while it’s expected to be in the mix for the conference title and the Rose Bowl all season long, this is the game the fan base has been waiting for in what would be the program’s biggest opening day win since it handed Iowa Pre-Flight its only loss of the 1944 season. That’s how important this is to the Wolverines, and that’s how much they’ve struggled in titanic early season matchups over the years.

But it’s a new team with a new attitude under Hoke, and while Michigan might not be quite the finished product the coaching staff wants it to be following the Rich Rodriguez era, it’s good enough to be able to realistically think it can go toe-to-toe with a team as good as Alabama.

The main focus might be on Michigan and whether or not it’s ready for primetime, but this is a statement game for the Tide, too. Depending on the poll and ranking system, LSU and USC have spent August battling it out for the top spot with Bama hovering around the top three. There were some big personnel losses on defense and running back Trent Richardson is gone from the offense, but the talent level is still as strong as ever under Nick Saban with the expectations set at national title or bust.

It’s possible that the Tide could lose this game, roll through conference play, and end up getting into the BCS championship, but a defeat would be a huge blow to the aura of invincibility surrounding the SEC and would be a painful blow to a team that hasn’t lost an opener since 2001.

Bama has risen to the big early season occasion over the last several years, from the opening day victory over Virginia Tech to kick off a national title run in 2009, to dominant blowouts over Penn State over the last two seasons, to a 34-10 blasting of Clemson in 2008, Saban’s teams have been ready. No one prepares a team better, making it all the more impressive if Michigan can pull off the upset.

The two superpower programs have only met three times – all in bowls – with all three decided by a grand total of eight points.

Why Alabama Might Win: The Alabama front seven is going to be a brick wall for the Wolverines to try to get through.

The Michigan offense wasn’t all about the running game last season, highlighted by Denard Robinson’s jump-ball deep passes in the win over Notre Dame, but the problems came when the ground attack didn’t go anywhere gaining a season-low 56 yards in the close call over Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl and being stuffed for 82 yards in the loss to Michigan State. In the only other loss of the season, Michigan gained just 127 yards with no scores against Iowa, while Notre Dame was able to keep everything bottled up allowing just 114 yards and a score.

Of course, it’s a new year with new personnel and new ideas, but it’s going to be the same old Alabama defense. Last season’s D led the nation in almost every major defensive category allowing just three rushing scores while giving up over 150 yards on the ground just once – allowing 302 to the quirky Georgia Southern option attack. Michigan has to go into the game assuming it won’t be able to crank out big rushing yards on a regular basis, but it’s going to try to get Robinson loose early on in an attempt to take the fight to the defending national champions. The problem will be speed. The Michigan runners are fast, but Alabama’s linebackers should be able to run stride for stride.

No, none of the Tide linebackers have Robinson’s 4.3 wheels, but this is a smaller, faster and more athletic group on the outside than last year’s corps. Forget about Michigan doing anything up the middle against Jesse Williams and the Tide front three, and after getting an offseason to prepare for Robinson, the linebackers should be able to swarm and keep him in check.

Why Michigan Might Win: It’s possible that Denard Robinson just might be that good.

Rarely do good Michigan teams get to play the Nobody Believes In Us card, and motivation only goes so far against a team as good as Alabama, but this will be an attitude game on the lines and the Wolverines have the ability to more than hold their own on offense. Alabama’s front seven might be a rock, but Taylor Lewan and the veteran offensive line will be a strength, now knowing what it’s supposed to do under Hoke. Few coaching staffs do a better job of creating holes to get their speed guys into space, and while the chances might be few and far between, all it will take is one or two key chances for Robinson to break off a big dash.

This isn’t going to be a high-scoring game – at least Michigan isn’t going to be able to hang 30 points on the board – and the Wolverine D should be able to load up to stop the run. Alabama’s passing game won’t do much deep, and while QB AJ McCarron should get plenty of time to work, he’ll have a hard time doing much more than keeping things short-to-midrange, like he did against LSU in the BCS championship. Michigan was able to survive last season when it got dinked and dunked on, and this year the back seven is even stronger with six starters back including a solid safety tandem of Jordan Kovacs and Thomas Gordon. This group has been through the lean times and now knows what it’s doing.

The biggest key for Michigan will be the turnover margin. Alabama was phenomenal at holding on to the ball after giving up four picks in the opener against Kent State, but with new running backs, receivers playing different roles, and in the first game of the year, it might take a little bit for everyone to be settled. The Wolverines were great at forcing fumbles last season coming up with 20 recoveries, and without Richardson to handle the rock, the chances will be there to come up with a few key takeaways.

What To Watch Out For: The Alabama offensive line. The Big Ten might have the reputation for being tough and nasty in the trenches, but the unsung reason for the SEC’s dominance over the last several years has been the play on the offensive line. LSU, Wisconsin and Texas A&M all have terrific front fives, and Alabama’s is as good as any in America, possibly better, starting with the big move of Outland Trophy winner Barrett Jones from left tackle to center. He might have been the best blocker in college football last season, but as a tackle, sophomore Cyrus Kouandijo is expected to become even better. D.J. Fluker has first round draft pick potential as a right tackle or a guard, left guard Chance Warmack will be a ten year pro, and right guard Anthony Steen might be the team’s strongest player. Michigan might have the lightning bolt in Robinson, but Bama should be able to control the game and the clock with its line pounding away on average Wolverine defensive front four.

Of course, the marquee star of the show will be Robinson, even though McCarron comes in as a national title-winning quarterback and with the expectation to grow even more this season. There isn’t a more electrifying player in college football than Robinson, but he’s going to have to be patient and he’s going to have to take what’s there on the short-to-midrange passes. He’s the home run hitter who’ll have to go for singles, and he appears to have the maturity and the experience going into this season to understand that. Patience will be the key as he’ll have to get used to avoid getting frustrated with nowhere to run time and again. He was held to 13 yards on 13 carries against Virginia Tech, and failed to make up for it with the passing game. Against Alabama, he’s going to have to throw efficiently and effectively to have any prayer of loosening up the linebacking corps.

What Will Happen: The Alabama defense will be the Alabama defense. This won’t be a thing of beauty by any stretch, but the Tide ground game will outrush the Michigan running attack and Robinson won’t have the passing day to pick up the slack. Expect and efficient and effective day from McCarron and the Tide offense, while the D will give up one big play that gives the Wolverines a glimmer of hope, and nothing else.

CFN Prediction: Alabama 27 … Michigan 10
ATS Consultants Line (Click for more lines and picks): Alabama -12.5; O/U: 42
Must Watch Rating (5 – Boss, 1 – Married To Jonas) 5

Sabanball
8/27/2012, 03:19 PM
kind of like Bama and their fans, but they're going down this year

rock on sooner
8/27/2012, 03:21 PM
I think Michigan gives Bama a game, and could possibly squeak out a win. As tired of hearing about the SEC as we are, the players (not in the SEC) have to be sick of it. Michigan has some talent on this year's squad, and I think Denard Robinson is going to give Bama fits. If Bama is going to lose, the first game of the year against a ranked team is as good a chance as any. I could also see Bama controlling the clock, and the game being something like 14-10. Should be a fun one to kick off the season.

As for the nauseating media hype of the SEC, I really hope this is the year that all ends.

Here's one more thought about Robinson..if he does light up Bama,
like RGIII did to us, the Heisman will be his to lose...

8/27/2012, 03:24 PM
I got through the title, Michigan DE Craig Roh, then...ssszzzzzzzZZZZZZ. Where's that bammer board?

Breadburner
8/27/2012, 05:12 PM
Good one to watch....!!!

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 05:52 PM
Here's one more thought about Robinson..if he does light up Bama,
like RGIII did to us, the Heisman will be his to lose...

I think you may be right. Right now, Matt Barkley seems to be the media's favorite, but a win over Bama (if Robinson has really good stats) would shift the spotlight.

Fortunately for Bama, Robinson doesn't have the arm that RG3 has.

Sabanball
8/27/2012, 07:30 PM
I think you may be right. Right now, Matt Barkley seems to be the media's favorite, but a win over Bama (if Robinson has really good stats) would shift the spotlight.

Fortunately for Bama, Robinson doesn't have the arm that RG3 has.

You've got that right. I've gone back and watched several of DR's games from last season when they went 11-2. Unless he has drastically improved as a passer, I look for 3-4 picks from our D saturday night. With Saban's 3-4 and use of the jack linebacker position, he will probably be running for his life most of the night and throwing on the run.

Only way Michigan even makes this very close is if we make a lot of mistakes, and we've rarely done that since Nick got here. Last yr we were 3rd nationally in fewest penalties and we have protected the football better than any team in the country over the last 4 yrs, with 1.06 turnovers/game in that time period. In other words, we don't put the ball on the ground very often. Our rb's have lost the ball only once in every 355 carries in that stretch.

Soonermagik
8/27/2012, 08:08 PM
Bama will win. They lost a ton of amazing talent to the NFL, but I'm not a Michigan believer. I say Bama by at least 2 TD's. I don't think Bama is winning the national title this year, but they are going to beat Michigan. It's the Big 10... it's just not that good of football.

8timechamps
8/27/2012, 08:54 PM
You've got that right. I've gone back and watched several of DR's games from last season when they went 11-2. Unless he has drastically improved as a passer, I look for 3-4 picks from our D saturday night. With Saban's 3-4 and use of the jack linebacker position, he will probably be running for his life most of the night and throwing on the run.

Only way Michigan even makes this very close is if we make a lot of mistakes, and we've rarely done that since Nick got here. Last yr we were 3rd nationally in fewest penalties and we have protected the football better than any team in the country over the last 4 yrs, with 1.06 turnovers/game in that time period. In other words, we don't put the ball on the ground very often. Our rb's have lost the ball only once in every 355 carries in that stretch.

If I really take a close look at this game, then what is most glaring to me is how inexperienced Michigan's defensive front it. Put that against one of, if not THE best offensive lines in the country, and it could be a long night for Michigan.

However, the one thing that makes college football so crazy is the momentum factor. If UM can find a way to score early (and that's a big IF), then I think it could be a game. If, on the other hand, Bama forces Robinson to use his arm alone, I think you guys wear them out by halftime.

Personally, I'd rather see Alabama win this game (even if it does prolong the "SEC is best" conversation). Outside of Oklahoma State fans, there isn't much worse than a B1G fan (more specifically Ohio State) with a big head. I do like watching Robinson play, and I like watching the Bama defense play, so it could be a fun one.

misplacedsooner
8/28/2012, 11:14 AM
first game of the year alot of things can happen that wouldnt in say game 3 or 4. i look for michigan to jump on them quick and defensively play above their heads for the first half. 2nd half i think bama gets back in the game and by the end of the 3rd we got us a barnburner. i think this game sets the tone for a great college season and who ever loses i dont think they drop far. im pulling for michigan but i must say if denard gets too reckless and takes too many hits he wont be in the game long and in that case i got bama in a cakewalk.

BillyBall
8/28/2012, 11:36 AM
If Bama wins, will their fans celebrate by rubbing their testicles on the face of a passed out opposing fan again? Can we try and make this a tradition?

PalmBeachSooner
8/28/2012, 12:23 PM
I think Bama cruises. They'll shutdown meatchicken's running game and force Robinson to beat them with his arm. That ain't going to happen. I expect Bama's defense to score.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/28/2012, 04:20 PM
Despite my dislike for Arkansas, I think they will be the ones to knock off Alabama. Alabama is better than Arkansas physically, but I don't think they will be mentally. That's extremely common with teams that win the national title the year before. Their hunger level never matches the level of their NC team and every team guns for them that much more on every play through every quarter. Michigan finally has some coaching that can make the game interesting for awhile, but that "awhile" ends after the first half. Talent and depth will prevail.

soonersam
8/28/2012, 04:32 PM
I remember when the University of Oklahoma vs the University of Texas was the game of the week........ Wait, my wife just informed me that its the University of Texas at El Paso.. My bad!

Sabanball
8/29/2012, 05:47 PM
We are replacing lots of starters on D but nearly all of the guys that will be playing sat. night have playing time experience in big games. At first seeing Denard Robinson I was like "damn this guy can scat"-- then I watched a bunch of video of him on youtube and realized it was against teams like Notre Dame.

I promise you, if Cam Newton could only reel off 38 yards on the ground against our young d back in 2010 and a broke down Hightower... this defense will be fine.

I'm sticking with my conservative prediction on the outcome but if we get on a roll and our O-line takes over the game, I could easily see this game becoming a repeat of our 2010 Capital One Bowl against Michigan State...

Sabanball
8/29/2012, 05:53 PM
If Bama wins, will their fans celebrate by rubbing their testicles on the face of a passed out opposing fan again? Can we try and make this a tradition?

Tell all Michigan fans to stay out of Krystal's on saturday night!:highly_amused:

8timechamps
8/29/2012, 07:56 PM
I promise you, if Cam Newton could only reel off 38 yards on the ground against our young d back in 2010 and a broke down Hightower... this defense will be fine.

Cam's arm blows Robinson's arm away. However, Robinson is a much more explosive runner. The problem for Michigan is that his arm doesn't match his feet. Oh, and Michigan will have to play defense at some point...and that's a problem.

goingoneight
8/29/2012, 08:03 PM
I have a better question... if Michigan comes within, say... 3 points of beating Alabama-- will there be talk all season long about them deserving to be in the MNC Game?

8timechamps
8/29/2012, 08:07 PM
I have a better question... if Michigan comes within, say... 3 points of beating Alabama-- will there be talk all season long about them deserving to be in the MNC Game?

That's part of the nonsense that the pre-season polls create. With Michigan being #8, a close loss could keep them in the discussion (until they lay an egg later in the year).

I suppose an Alabama win is better for us. Bama plays a much more difficult conference schedule, so there's more opportunity for them to lose later down the line.

CowboyMRW
8/29/2012, 10:35 PM

It would only become a tradition if it was AnM that had done it.

85sooners
8/30/2012, 09:21 AM
Zip it poke

cccasooner2
8/30/2012, 11:32 AM

I can't speak for Xing, but from the mathematics I've learned on this board It's the Law, the law of averages. Funny thing though, the same law that says Michigan will win also says Alabama will win. I'm so confused.

SoonerAtKU
8/30/2012, 12:14 PM
If it were later in the year, I'd give Michigan a shot, but the first game in this situation? No way. Defenses are almost always going to be ahead of offenses this early, barring injuries.

LA.SoonerFan
8/30/2012, 04:03 PM
I think Denard Robinson is going to give Bama fits.

Ever since Robinson has been around, he has sucked against good defenses. This is the reason he has never been in a Heisman race and never will be. If Michigan were in the SEC, they would win maybe 3 or 4 games. Michigan's only hope against Bama is the fact that Bama is bringing in a new defense, but I'm guessing they will still be stout. It may be a decent game to watch, but it could be a Bama blowout.

smackramensooner
8/30/2012, 04:52 PM
Based on Sabanball's statements, no team should bother taking the field against the mighty crimson tide this year. I remember discussions with Miami fans in the early '00's that sounded really similar to this level of confidence (arrogance?). We heard it every year then as well, "So what if we sent 8 guys into the NFL in the 1st round. Their backups are even BETTER!"

BoulderSooner79
8/30/2012, 05:07 PM
I guess when your team has won 2 of the last 3 titles, you get to talk smack. Even in that rebuilding year in between, all 3 losses were pretty close. And if I believed in conspiracy theories, that loss to Auburn sure looked like an SEC plot to get Auburn into the BCS title game.

picasso
8/30/2012, 05:07 PM
Michigan has never seen speed like this.

8timechamps
8/30/2012, 06:31 PM
Ever since Robinson has been around, he has sucked against good defenses. This is the reason he has never been in a Heisman race and never will be. If Michigan were in the SEC, they would win maybe 3 or 4 games. Michigan's only hope against Bama is the fact that Bama is bringing in a new defense, but I'm guessing they will still be stout. It may be a decent game to watch, but it could be a Bama blowout.

Well, he's in the race this year. Whether or not he stays, we'll know in a month or so.

I can't really argue your point about his performance against good defenses, because I really don't pay attention to the Big 10 and have no idea how be preformed last year against the better defenses in that conference.

It could be a blowout, there's no question about that. But, I'm at least hoping for a good game...to at least keep me interested until our kick-off.

goingoneight
8/30/2012, 06:41 PM
Michigan has never seen speed like this.

Nope. Never. Not in the history of their winningest program of all time history. :D

I'll agree, though... none of them on staff or on the field have seen a team this solid. Same as said for Michigan could have been said for most of the BIG 12 teams, too. The closest thing Texas saw to it last year dropped 55 on them.

cccasooner2
8/30/2012, 07:37 PM
1st games can be scarey. USC 19-Minnesota 17, etc.

Sabanball
8/31/2012, 05:57 PM
Based on Sabanball's statements, no team should bother taking the field against the mighty crimson tide this year. I remember discussions with Miami fans in the early '00's that sounded really similar to this level of confidence (arrogance?). We heard it every year then as well, "So what if we sent 8 guys into the NFL in the 1st round. Their backups are even BETTER!"

Funny, I remember conversations with OU fans in the early and mid '00's that sounded really similar to this level of confidence too--or was that arrogance? Probably a little of both. Let's face it, both of our programs' fan bases have been pretty spoiled over the years and that's why we EXPECT to win every game and be in NC contention every yr--and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

8timechamps
8/31/2012, 06:32 PM
Funny, I remember conversations with OU fans in the early and mid '00's that sounded really similar to this level of confidence too--or was that arrogance? Probably a little of both. Let's face it, both of our programs' fan bases have been pretty spoiled over the years and that's why we EXPECT to win every game and be in NC contention every yr--and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

The reality is that most elite programs have back-ups that could start for the majority of other FBS schools. There is so much similarity between the Alabama and Oklahoma football programs, although I'd have to admit that Bama has had the better program in recent years. I think we can all agree that it would suck to be a Miami fan right now.

okiewaker
8/31/2012, 07:00 PM
21-17
Spartans

okiewaker
8/31/2012, 07:03 PM
Oops,,,I mean wolverines.

goingoneight
8/31/2012, 07:18 PM
I just read their starting RB is suspended for the Bama game. Still confident in that pick?

nighttrain12
8/31/2012, 07:29 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20120830/SPORTS06/120830055/floyd-mayweather-bet-michigan-alabama-3-million?odyssey=mod|mostview

Floyd Mayweather, the boxing champ (and long time criminal) bet $3 million dollars on this game. He took Michigan and the 14 points.

MamaMia
8/31/2012, 08:28 PM
And you base that prediction on what?Karma

8/31/2012, 08:33 PM
...if I believed in conspiracy theories, that loss to Auburn sure looked like an SEC plot to get Auburn into the BCS title game.Saban is known to pull shenanigans. That would be a HUGE one!

8/31/2012, 08:38 PM
Zip it pokeThis is always sage advice!