PDA

View Full Version : Republican National Convention chit chat thread

badger
8/27/2012, 11:12 AM
Discuss Tropical Storm Issac, protestors, and other fun here.

I'll get started: Mary Fallin is now going to speak in primetime tomorrow.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20120827_16_0_GovMar28637)

My guess is that the Republicans can't have enough women speakers now thanks to its Akins Diet. :mad:

badger
8/27/2012, 11:15 AM
The protesters might get stormed out.
IrpsAnQO1Dk

Hell, the Republicans might get stormed out!
qsv0sDM1qaY

Skysooner
8/27/2012, 11:15 AM
Lots of wind coming from Tampa or is that just Hurricane Irene.....

I am not even sure why they have conventions anymore (on both sides). Lots of boring speeches unless it is somebody we don't know about yet. I can't even tell you when the Dem convention is or where it is at. Has to be within a few weeks, but honestly who cares.

badger
8/27/2012, 11:24 AM
Lots of wind coming from Tampa or is that just Hurricane Irene.....

I am not even sure why they have conventions anymore (on both sides). Lots of boring speeches unless it is somebody we don't know about yet. I can't even tell you when the Dem convention is or where it is at. Has to be within a few weeks, but honestly who cares.

Issac. I think Irene was last year. And Issac is still a tropical storm, not yet classified as a hurricane.

As for why there's conventions, the purpose these days seems to be to give people an excuse to drink a lot with live music.

I think the purpose at one time was to designate the national party platform and nominate the candidate for president (or at least that's what I remember from participating in American Legion's Girls State program), but it seems to be an excuse to party now.

Remember when Gov. Henry attended the DNC and was all ready to introduce Oklahoma as the great state of whatever (I'm sure whatever he had prepared was quite eloquent) and declare our delegates for Obama, but then Hillary Clinton had to go and ruin our state's moment (and every other state on down the alphabet) by asking to nominate Obama by declaration or something? Thanks a lot, Hill-Rod.

Skysooner
8/27/2012, 11:55 AM
Issac. I think Irene was last year. And Issac is still a tropical storm, not yet classified as a hurricane.

As for why there's conventions, the purpose these days seems to be to give people an excuse to drink a lot with live music.

I think the purpose at one time was to designate the national party platform and nominate the candidate for president (or at least that's what I remember from participating in American Legion's Girls State program), but it seems to be an excuse to party now.

Remember when Gov. Henry attended the DNC and was all ready to introduce Oklahoma as the great state of whatever (I'm sure whatever he had prepared was quite eloquent) and declare our delegates for Obama, but then Hillary Clinton had to go and ruin our state's moment (and every other state on down the alphabet) by asking to nominate Obama by declaration or something? Thanks a lot, Hill-Rod.

Thanks. There is me not fact checking again. Work is just insane today. I heard it would get upgraded to a possible Level 3 but is more aiming for the mid-Gulf Coast.

I remember the convention where they almost got Reagan in over Ford even though Ford had more delegates. Those were the days. I think that was the 1976 convention where Carter ultimately won.

badger
8/27/2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks. There is me not fact checking again. Work is just insane today. I heard it would get upgraded to a possible Level 3 but is more aiming for the mid-Gulf Coast.

I remember the convention where they almost got Reagan in over Ford even though Ford had more delegates. Those were the days. I think that was the 1976 convention where Carter ultimately won.

Not to derail, but I sometimes wonder how the world would be different if we had a different president. What if Gerry Ford got a second term instead of weakling Carter getting his four years. What if Al Gore had won in 2000 (or rather, should I say what if Al Gore became president, because I know there are still those out there who think Gore won) and how would have he responded to 9/11 (which I think was inevitable, not preventable, sadly).

On the Oklahoma front, would Jari Askins be depositing so much in Rainy Day, or getting the money straight to schools? I remember she once tried to up teacher pay in a budget, but was turned down by (I think) Todd Heitt, since it was near the end of session or something.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2012, 12:01 PM
...I am not even sure why they have conventions anymore (on both sides). Lots of boring speeches unless it is somebody we don't know about yet. I can't even tell you when the Dem convention is or where it is at. Has to be within a few weeks, but honestly who cares.Fershure. In the age of instant communication, tv, cell phones and internet, they don't add much to what is already known.

badger
8/27/2012, 12:13 PM
Fershure. In the age of instant communication, tv, cell phones and internet, they don't add much to what is already known.

It might provide for youtube moments though, like those Gov. Christie town hall meetings where he has some classic soundbites. It can make or break a political career to have someone speak on a national stage like that. For example, didn't a certain young senator from Illinois speak at the 2004 DNC?

So, there are redefined purposes, I guess. Whose national political career(s) will be launched at the 2012 conventions? This is likely going to serve as Gov. Christie's introduction to the voters who don't have Internet (or don't use it for Youtube)

Skysooner
8/27/2012, 12:22 PM
Not to derail, but I sometimes wonder how the world would be different if we had a different president. What if Gerry Ford got a second term instead of weakling Carter getting his four years. What if Al Gore had won in 2000 (or rather, should I say what if Al Gore became president, because I know there are still those out there who think Gore won) and how would have he responded to 9/11 (which I think was inevitable, not preventable, sadly).

On the Oklahoma front, would Jari Askins be depositing so much in Rainy Day, or getting the money straight to schools? I remember she once tried to up teacher pay in a budget, but was turned down by (I think) Todd Heitt, since it was near the end of session or something.

I think there was nothing that could have been done about 9/11. It was the intelligence community that was in disarray. If Al Gore had been President, I think that we would have a R President now (maybe McCain). Sadly I don't think there would have been much difference. Maybe we would have been in Iraq and maybe not. That is a really hard job to do. You are pulled from all sides, have to worry about reelection and want to do your best. I think Presidents only start to become effective in their third years.

I think I was out of Oklahoma when the Jari Askins thing happened. Luckily I have Netflix On Demand, so I'll at least have something to watch this week.

rock on sooner
8/27/2012, 01:42 PM
I think there was nothing that could have been done about 9/11. It was the intelligence community that was in disarray. If Al Gore had been President, I think that we would have a R President now (maybe McCain). Sadly I don't think there would have been much difference. Maybe we would have been in Iraq and maybe not. That is a really hard job to do. You are pulled from all sides, have to worry about reelection and want to do your best. I think Presidents only start to become effective in their third years.

I think I was out of Oklahoma when the Jari Askins thing happened. Luckily I have Netflix On Demand, so I'll at least have something to watch this week.

Just guessing what Gore would have done but I think Afghanistan would
have ramped up big time instead of turning to Iraq because W thought
there were WMD's , officially, but really wanted to get Saddam because
he tried to assassinate H W and I think Bin Laden would have been taken
at Tora Bora when the 10th Mountain Div. had him cornered instead of being
left to the "care" of the Afghan warlords. Had that happened then I think
we would have been out of Afghanistan 5-6 years ago and Saddam would
have been contained, crippled and taken down with diplomacy and sanctions.
JMO. Sky, you are spot on with your description of the hard job the presidency
is.

Ain't 20/20 hindsight wonderful...

hawaii 5-0
8/27/2012, 08:27 PM
I wonder if any Repubs are gonna stand up and ask Romney about his tax dodging with Bain and his off shore hidden accounts.

This evasion of his tax returns makes me wonder if he was really paying 10% tithe as promised to the Mormons or if he was holding out from them as well. It wouldn't look good if he was.

Is there some deduction to some strange Radical group that he doesn't want people to know about?

Is he golden now that he's the candidate? Who's vetting him from the Right wing side?

Isn't anyone on the Republican side curious as to what's he hiding?

I notice he says he's paid his taxes. He specifically doesn't say 'income taxes'. We'll, everyone pays taxes everytime they get gas. I'll give him credit for being slick. Not as good as Clinton, tho.

5-0

okie52
8/27/2012, 09:00 PM
I wonder if those Stinkin Pubs are making people show IDs to get in the convention?

badger
8/28/2012, 08:21 AM
I wonder if those Stinkin Pubs are making people show IDs to get in the convention?

It'll probably be heavy security, so yeah, probably

rock on sooner
8/28/2012, 08:57 AM
Funny story, (I think), Sunday in church, our pastor has
a habit of asking the congregation if there is anyone they
would like to have prayers said for, someone spoke about
those in Tampa, FL when they thought Isaac was gonna
hit there, the pastor repeated "asking for prayers for Tampa
FL, I mumbled, just loud enough for my wife to hear, "yeah,
the Republicans are coming." My ribs still hurt a little..:biggrin:

badger
8/28/2012, 09:06 AM
"yeah,
the Republicans are coming." My ribs still hurt a little..:biggrin:

that's funny even if you are a republican :P

SanJoaquinSooner
8/28/2012, 02:54 PM
any of you old ****ers remember when they introduced a new dance called "the swim" at the 1964 pub convention? they had teens in the aisles dancing up a storm. To give this context, the 60s broke from the 50s in moving from "the swing" to "the twist." and then all hell broke loose with "the mashed potatoes" , "the monkey" and all sorts of evil.

The church wing of the party weren't too happy - specially the baptists.

I can't find a video of this event, but it did happen.

The new song that came out with this new dance was this:

YBEwqQU5s_0

If any of y'all can find a video of this at the 64 convention I'll buy you a pack of unfiltered camels.

Ike
8/28/2012, 02:56 PM

O for ****s sake! It's Isaac, not Issac!!

My nickname is Ike specifically because not a damn one of my teachers or coaches could consistently spell my name. I'd get Isac, Issac, Issaac, Issaacc, and a ****-ton of other permutations.

Other than that, carry on talking about the balloon fest.

Also, yes, I am quite happy that I am getting a second hurricane named after me. :)

okie52
8/28/2012, 02:59 PM
any of you old ****ers remember when they introduced a new dance called "the swim" at the 1964 pub convention? they had teens in the aisles dancing up a storm. To give this context, the 60s broke from the 50s in moving from "the swing" to "the twist." and then all hell broke loose with "the mashed potatoes" , "the monkey" and all sorts of evil.

The church wing of the party weren't too happy - specially the baptists.

I can't find a video of this event, but it did happen.

The new song that came out with this new dance was this:

YBEwqQU5s_0

If any of y'all can find a video of this at the 64 convention I'll buy you a pack of unfiltered camels.

An old joke for my Bapstist friends:

You know why Baptists don't screw standing up?

It looks too much like dancing.

8/28/2012, 05:26 PM
QUOTE=rock on sooner;3502107]Funny story, (I think), Sunday in church, our pastor has
a habit of asking the congregation if there is anyone they
would like to have prayers said for, someone spoke about
those in Tampa, FL when they thought Isaac was gonna
hit there, the pastor repeated "asking for prayers for Tampa
FL, I mumbled, just loud enough for my wife to hear, "yeah,
the Republicans are coming." My ribs still hurt a little..:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Wow, you ARE funny. That's FUNNY!

8/28/2012, 05:28 PM
An old joke for my Bapstist friends:

You know why Baptists don't screw standing up?

It looks too much like dancing.That actually is funny. An oldie but goody.

marfacowboy
8/28/2012, 10:17 PM
I tried. I heard about 19 seconds of Chris Christie. The part I heard ended with "I am the son of an Irish father and a..." I assume he then said, "hippopotamus," but I'll never know.

thunderfan
8/28/2012, 11:07 PM
Paul Ryans dogs are named Boomer and Sooner..

8/29/2012, 01:21 AM
I tried. I heard about 19 seconds of Chris Christie. The part I heard ended with "I am the son of an Irish father and a..." I assume he then said, "hippopotamus," but I'll never know.no wonder he bugs you. You prolly think he's a constitutionalist. You pulled that trigger on name-calling awfully fast, even for you.

marfacowboy
8/29/2012, 07:26 AM
no wonder he bugs you. You prolly think he's a constitutionalist. You pulled that trigger on name-calling awfully fast, even for you.

The only name I called him was Chris Christie.

badger
8/29/2012, 08:26 AM
O for ****s sake! It's Isaac, not Issac!!

My nickname is Ike specifically because not a damn one of my teachers or coaches could consistently spell my name. I'd get Isac, Issac, Issaac, Issaacc, and a ****-ton of other permutations.

Other than that, carry on talking about the balloon fest.

Also, yes, I am quite happy that I am getting a second hurricane named after me. :)

I promise to never misspell "Isaac" again :)

I missed Fallin and Christie and Mrs. Romney and all. Anyone wanna gimme a Cliff's Notes version? I'll probably find a transcript of em somewhere, or a youtube video

Ike
8/29/2012, 09:58 AM
:)

Sorry to go off on you. I check my grammar nazism at the door, and even my spelling smack....except for that one. Thats the one that makes me want to punch people.

Like I said. Carry on.

Skysooner
8/29/2012, 10:30 AM
:)

Sorry to go off on you. I check my grammar nazism at the door, and even my spelling smack....except for that one. Thats the one that makes me want to punch people.

Like I said. Carry on.

I basically check my nice at the door if I have had a nice whiskey in the evening. Of course my "not nice" isn't that bad unless you P*** me off...

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2012, 10:38 AM
Christie talked about himself. You woulda thought he was running instead of Romney. He was 16 minutes into his speech before he even mentioned Romney. He didn't even mention unemployment, I guess since New Jersey has higher unemployment than the national average. He's done a great job himself.

Ann Romney talked about how much Republicans loved women. Too bad the Republicans voted down the bill to give women equal pay for equal jobs. Too bad she didn't mention the idea of less government involvement while they're trying to take away women's right to self determined healthcare.

They were nice stirring speeches, if you wanna believe the message throw out there. Typical Convention blather.

5-0

sappstuf
8/29/2012, 10:48 AM
Christie talked about himself. You woulda thought he was running instead of Romney. He was 16 minutes into his speech before he even mentioned Romney. He didn't even mention unemployment, I guess since New Jersey has higher unemployment than the national average. He's done a great job himself.

Ann Romney talked about how much Republicans loved women. Too bad the Republicans voted down the bill to give women equal pay for equal jobs. Too bad she didn't mention the idea of less government involvement while they're trying to take away women's right to self determined healthcare.

They were nice stirring speeches, if you wanna believe the message throw out there. Typical Convention blather.

5-0

Yeah, that would have forced Obama to pay women on his own White House staff equally....

According to the 2011 annual report on White House staff, female employees earned a median annual salary of $60,000, which was about 18 percent less than the median salary for male employees ($71,000).

All hat, no cattle.

badger
8/29/2012, 10:50 AM
Typical Convention blather.

So does Mitt have an official convention song? W's in 2004 was "Still the One" (which that lead singer that ran for Congress didn't like) and John Kerry's in 2004 was "Johnny B. Goode" (They repeated sang "go johnny go" more often than Back to the Future did)

8timechamps
8/29/2012, 02:25 PM
Personally, I really like Governor Christie. I know he rubs some folks the wrong way, but I like his style. I was hoping, early on, that he would step up and run for prez, but it didn't happen. I think he genuinely wants to be NJ's governor.

I thought Mitt's wife (can't recall her name) did a good job, however, I think most conventions are too long and drawn out. Get in, nominate a candidate, and get out.

rock on sooner
8/29/2012, 02:30 PM

5-0

5-0, Christie WAS running....for 2016 and beyond. Why do you think New Jersey
"put" Romney over the top? BTW, anyone know how many votes Rand got?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/29/2012, 05:47 PM
..Rick Santorum is back; touting the party's obligation to defend the rights of zygotes to be born because he thinks they are persons. Clearly Romney doesn't need this kind of help; in polls last week Romney's popularity with likely voters had dropped below 40% because of this kind of religious nonsense getting in the way of the Republican economic critique. These guys just can't help themselves.

diverdog
8/29/2012, 06:14 PM
5-0, Christie WAS running....for 2016 and beyond. Why do you think New Jersey
"put" Romney over the top? BTW, anyone know how many votes Rand got?

He won't live that long. Dudes weight will kill him. He is huge right now.

rock on sooner
8/29/2012, 07:07 PM
He won't live that long. Dudes weight will kill him. He is huge right now.

Huge is a good phrase...

okie52
8/29/2012, 07:09 PM
..Rick Santorum is back; touting the party's obligation to defend the rights of zygotes to be born because he thinks they are persons. Clearly Romney doesn't need this kind of help; in polls last week Romney's popularity with likely voters had dropped below 40% because of this kind of religious nonsense getting in the way of the Republican economic critique. These guys just can't help themselves.

US Zygotes should have more protection than illegal parasitic invaders. In their case abortion should be mandatory.

rock on sooner
8/29/2012, 07:16 PM
Huh? Sorry, this ol fart aint never heard of "zygotes", dont know any
thing about it. Somebody help me here, pls......

okie52
8/29/2012, 07:21 PM
Juan's extended family smuggles millions of them over the border in search of a better life.

Unfortunately Juan's group doesn't believe in aborting future illegal non humans.

8/29/2012, 07:39 PM
Juan's extended family smuggles millions of them over the border in search of a better life.

Unfortunately Juan's group doesn't believe in aborting future illegal non humans.and for that the Left might be grateful, since the aforementioned protoplasm will likely vote d at their earliest convenience

SanJoaquinSooner
8/29/2012, 07:40 PM

Unfortunately Juan's group doesn't believe in aborting future illegal non humans.

Santorum be Catholic. Surely he will spread in-state tuition to all holy zygotes.

Okie, I'm talking strategy here for winning the election. Whether one has legitimate arguments to make or not on social issues, Romney's ace is the economy. If he plays abortion, reproductive anything, chick-fil-A's, intercom prayers in public school, etc., he'll likely get trumped by Obama.

okie52
8/29/2012, 07:52 PM
Santorum be Catholic. Surely he will spread in-state tuition to all holy zygotes.

Okie, I'm talking strategy here for winning the election. Whether one has legitimate arguments to make or not on social issues, Romney's ace is the economy. If he plays abortion, reproductive anything, chick-fil-A's, intercom prayers in public school, etc., he'll likely get trumped by Obama.

Afraid the pubs don't see those social issues as losers although I agree with you with the exception of chick fil a...have pics of Rahm and others blocking a chick fil a I think would be a winner.

soonercruiser
8/29/2012, 09:29 PM
I didn't get to watch much Tuesday. But, the speakers here on Wednesday are pratically all knocking it out of the park.
Many great lines!
Like...."$5 Trillion more in debt!! Yes Pres Obama...you made that"!!!
:triumphant:

AlboSooner
8/29/2012, 10:07 PM
Great speech by Ryan.

Sooner5030
8/29/2012, 10:13 PM
first night I tuned in.....it was ok.....but did exceed my expectations.

It looks like the pubs are at least including language in their speeches that can appeal to the Ayn Rand/libertarian/Austrian folks in the party. The party would be more appealing if it could jettison folks like Mcconnell(sp) though.

8timechamps
8/29/2012, 10:15 PM
Ryan is a smart guy. I hope we get to see Ryan and Biden debate.

JLEW1818
8/29/2012, 10:16 PM
Get those ****ing donkeys out of office.

rock on sooner
8/30/2012, 09:00 AM
Ryan is a smart guy. I hope we get to see Ryan and Biden debate.
There is one scheduled..Oct. 11, I think.