PDA

View Full Version : When do we expect to win it all again

basel90
8/26/2012, 02:04 PM
Realistically ,when do we win it all,,, am sick of the SEC crap , 2000 is a long time ago, and i know most schols would love our record since , but cannot syand another SEC MNC, what is it 6 years and counting .?
I hope mike will bring back the Defense we need. Any thoughts?

Fraggle145
8/26/2012, 02:07 PM
Every year.

ouwasp
8/26/2012, 02:13 PM
Sometime soon. If you had told me back in Jan '01 that OU won't win another mnc for at least 12 yrs, I would have shaken my head in disbelief. But I would have felt the same way back in Jan '86...

So OU is due. Overdue. But nothing is guaranteed. Hopefully the new format in a couple yrs will help.

PLaw
8/26/2012, 02:43 PM
Every year.

^^^DITTO^^^

I'm a SOONER and every August I expect that we will be in the National Championship chase. This year is no different.

BOOMER

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 03:13 PM
We've won 7 national championships since 1950. Our first was 62 years ago. Even though we have had some that happened closer together, mathematically, that averages out to be one every 8.85714286 years. The longest stretch we went without a national championship was 18 years. We won one the year I was born and never won another one until I was a student at OU. Not one national championship the whole time I was growing up. Lets hope 'that' never happens again to any child. Its now been 12 long years. There are kids getting reading to enter Junior High School who have never seen OU win a national championship. Thats a long time for OU to go without a National Championship. We're due.

Widescreen
8/26/2012, 03:28 PM
We've won 7 national championships since 1950. Our first was 72 years ago.

62 years ago

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 03:37 PM
I recalculated.

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 03:53 PM
So many things have to happen. You need good coaches, a good quarterback, O Line, D line, Offensive coordinator, Defense Coordinator, great special teams. Nowadays you HAVE to be able to defend against the pass, stop the run. Its not easy. If you're a team that thinks that being not so good at one thing is okay because being really good at something else is going to make up for it, thats when injuries start happening and losses start appearing on the board. You dont have to be the best at all those things but you do have to be up there, and the team as a whole; they have to want it real bad. Real bad.

Seamus
8/26/2012, 04:04 PM
I recalculated.

Tuscaloosa math.

basel90
8/26/2012, 04:06 PM
So many things have to happen. You need good coaches, a good quarterback, O Line, D line, Offensive coordinator, Defense Coordinator, great special teams. Nowadays you HAVE to be able to defend against the pass, stop the run. Its not easy. If you're a team that thinks that being not so good at one thing is okay because being really good at something else is going to make up for it, thats when injuries start happening and losses start appearing on the board. You dont have to be the best at all those things but you do have to be up there, and the team as a whole; they have to want it real bad. Real bad.

I think the defense has to be a main reason ...do you recall our championship games losses with USC and LSU, plus other glaring shock losses to TTech last year, OSU , KSU.. We had major breakdowns in those 10 past years, and now we have our wish and hope in mike running the D again.. I hope this puzzle is solved

C&CDean
8/26/2012, 04:13 PM
I think the defense has to be a main reason ...do you recall our championship games losses with USC and LSU, plus other glaring shock losses to TTech last year, OSU , KSU.. We had major breakdowns in those 10 past years, and now we have our wish and hope in mike running the D again.. I hope this puzzle is solved

The loss to LSU and UF weren't on the defense. A couple plays made on offense and they're both different stories.

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 04:27 PM
It all has to mesh. Just one example....... When the offense is screwing up by going 4 and out, it puts the defense out on the field too much. Its things like that you have to control.

olevetonahill
8/26/2012, 04:47 PM
Every year.

Perzackery, Even after ONE loss Im still expecting to win the Big one after2 losses Im skeptical but still hopeful :victorious:

85sooners
8/26/2012, 05:05 PM
Landry is the man to do it

BigTip
8/26/2012, 05:27 PM
So many things have to happen. You need good coaches, a good quarterback, O Line, D line, Offensive coordinator, Defense Coordinator, great special teams. AND A LITTLE LUCK
fixed it for ya
Because it's true. It's like a golfer getting a hole in one. You have to be good enough to get it around the hole a bunch of times, then lucky enough for it to roll in once.
We've gotten it around the hole a lot the last few years. But a key injury here, a referee's blown call there, a missed assignment here, or a stupid bounce there, and the "ball" comes up short. Then it's back to, "Wait 'til next year!"

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 05:34 PM
A little luck, or "Sooner Magic," as we call it, sure doesn't hurt. :D

We figured that they come at an average of every 8.8 years. Its been 12! That just makes me want it even more. Its past time, and with such a great coach and so many award winning players coming out of OU; come on; its time.

goingoneight
8/26/2012, 06:33 PM
If Farris read the defense correctly, he'd have seen Torrance Marshall dropping back into coverage.

There's all kinds of theories and fan-imagined solutions... but to say at this point in time that we'll need Geno Smith to gift-wrap a touchdown for us is saying we'll need a little luck. All BCS era champions have had all the luck they've needed. Losing Broyles, Sam, Gresham, Ryan Reynolds against Texas, etc. doesn't qualify as luck.

BigTip
8/26/2012, 07:02 PM
. Losing Broyles, Sam, Gresham, Ryan Reynolds against Texas, etc. doesn't qualify as luck.
But that's exactly what I was talking about. Sure it's luck, BAD luck. We need to have some good luck in not having bad luck.

SoonerMarkVA
8/26/2012, 07:08 PM
Need that top 5 defense back, and we need to avoid injuries, one of the biggest reasons for the 2000 run. We put those in place, and we're set for the brass ring (with a little luck, too).

Jdog
8/26/2012, 07:33 PM
No

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 07:48 PM
Perzackery, Even after ONE loss Im still expecting to win the Big one after2 losses Im skeptical but still hopeful :victorious:Me too. I know "hate" is a strong word, however, I honestly hate going through football season having to hope that someone else loses. We need to keep winning and stay in control of our own destiny.

BigTip
8/26/2012, 08:05 PM
I hate losing one too, but, you have to admit, it certainly makes the sports page more interesting after we lose one. I start looking at other teams and other scores and other schedules with a lot more scrutiny. "If they beat them, and then lose to them, and then they lose one to that team,and we win big against so and so...." lol

I love college ball!

Soonermagik
8/26/2012, 08:44 PM
If they can't pull it off this year I think then I highly doubt it will be in the 2013-14 season. They have enough talent if they can get back guys like Stacey McGee, Jaz Reynolds etc.. and stay healthy of course. College football is down this season, so they might have a shot. I would like to think Bob will get at least 1 more before he leaves.

I will say this, it's hard to stay on top for very long in college football, but Stoops has been able to keep OU near the top virtually every season. I would imagine he's led OU to play in more BCS games than any other school. Personally, I think Stoops is wanting one more and he may not leave until he gets it.. just my opinion.

MamaMia
8/26/2012, 09:48 PM
I hate losing one too, but, you have to admit, it certainly makes the sports page more interesting after we lose one. I start looking at other teams and other scores and other schedules with a lot more scrutiny. "If they beat them, and then lose to them, and then they lose one to that team,and we win big against so and so...." lol

I love college ball!I pay close attention to that even when we're winning because I like to know who won and who lost. I want to know who is playing who, and even where they're playing. I like to get a feel of what their upcoming chances are in the games they'll be playing. I especially want to know, on a weekly basis whats going on with the teams on our schedule, and in our conference. I need to know what we're going to be up against.

basel90
8/27/2012, 10:24 AM
The loss to LSU and UF weren't on the defense. A couple plays made on offense and they're both different stories.

What about the loss to KSU...let's face it , our D is not top 5 material at that time

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2012, 10:29 AM
That team lost to KSU because they gave up, not because of ability..

C&CDean
8/27/2012, 10:37 AM
Probably not, but that little ****er Darren Sproles was pretty much unstoppable that night. And it was colder than a nun's **** as well.

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2012, 10:43 AM
This coming January.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/27/2012, 10:50 AM
What about the loss to KSU...let's face it , our D is not top 5 material at that time

Mega-Fail response.

badger
8/27/2012, 11:04 AM
Whenever I finally give up on cable and end our subscription so that I can't witness it :(

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2012, 12:59 PM
Whenever I finally give up on cable and end our subscription so that I can't witness it :(

DO IT! DO IT NOW!

(you can always catch the replay ;)

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2012, 01:31 PM
I think we are in a great spot! Start the season in the shadow of the S.U.Conference and the SUC Trojans, but still close enough that if we take care of our business, we will have enough of a resume to play for the marbles by the time things shake out.

..,.and again, it deserves to be noted...no BCS Championship game has been played in Miami without the Sooners!