PDA

View Full Version : Top Three Players that Didn't Deserve to Win the Heisman

Mazeppa
8/25/2012, 10:59 PM
Top Three Players that Didn't Deserve to Win the Heisman - a Fan's Opinion
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Kevin Gaines | Yahoo! Contributor Network – Fri, Aug 24, 2012 9:34 AM EDT

Here is the first part of the Heisman Trophy's Mission Statement, "The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. The Heisman Trophy Trust ensures the continuation and integrity of this award." Looking back at college football's most prestigious individual award it is apparent that in some years it seems that the award could have definitely been given to much better players. Today in college football, the award is usually reserved for the best player on one of the top 5 or 10 teams. There is no way I can judge a players integrity, diligence, perseverance or hard work but I do know that with how the trophy is awarded today it is mostly based off individual statistics and team success.

Reggie Bush recently had his 2005 Heisman Trophy Award vacated and also returned the trophy so he no longer has the hardware showing he won the award. His ability was never in question, but his integrity was. I won't argue for or against his award being vacated, but I will pick three players that I feel didn't deserve to win the Heisman Trophy. Remember, my opinion is based solely on stats and team success.

Here are the 3 guys that I feel were least deserving of the award.

1. Paul Hornung (Notre Dame Fighting Irish) - 1956 Heisman Trophy Winner

This one is easy on a few different levels. First off, Hornung's Notre Dame Fighting Irish finished a measly 2-8. Hornung completed just 53% of his passes for 917 yards, 3 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also rushed for 420 yards, but no where close to Heisman-like numbers. I feel Jim Brown, Syracuse Orangeman (now just Orange), should have won the award. Brown rushed for 986 yards and 13 touchdowns. Like most great players at the time, Brown played defense as well and also picked off 3 passes. Some say Brown was denied the award because of the color of his skin, but once again, I'm not here to debate that.

2. Archie Griffin (Ohio State Buckeyes) - 1975 Heisman Trophy Winner

Griffin had won the 1974 Heisman so naturally he was the favorite entering the 1975 campaign. His talent was undeniable but his numbers dropped off from his 1974 season. He rushed for 1,357 yards, but that was 263 less than the year before and only scored 4 touchdowns. You don't have to look far for a player that put up much better numbers. Griffin's teammate, Pete Johnson, rushed for 1,059 yards and 25 touchdowns. Johnson scored as many rushing touchdowns in one season as 2-time Heisman Trophy winner Griffin scored in his entire four year career.

3. Gary Beban (UCLA Bruins) - 1967 Heisman Trophy Winner

Beban had no right whatsoever winning the trophy. He completed 87-156 passes for 55.8% completion rate and 8 touchdowns to go along with 8 interceptions. The Bruins finished the season (7-2-1). His main competition for the award was O.J. Simpson. Simpson would go on to win the 1968 Heisman, but he should have won it the year before as well. Not only did Simpson's team beat the Bruins when UCLA was ranked #1, but that win propelled the Trojans to the National Championship. Simpson rushed for 1,415 yards and scored 11 touchdowns and threw for 3 more touchdowns on just 3 completions.

85sooners
8/25/2012, 11:35 PM
:nonchalance:

agoo758
8/25/2012, 11:51 PM
I vote for Eddie George in 1995. Definately should have been Tommy Frasier.

Mazeppa
8/26/2012, 12:07 AM
How about Charles White in 1979, Billy Sims should have won his second.

hawaii 5-0
8/26/2012, 02:17 AM
I'd nominate that Gino guy from Miami.

5-0

Salt City Sooner
8/26/2012, 02:26 AM
White ran for over 2,000 yards that year. I've got a whole lot less of a problem with him winning it than I do Griffin winning his second over Washington (no TV did him NO favors).

My top 3:

1. Eric Crouch. I know he was an option QB who had a good year running, but IMO, 7 TD passes against 10 INT's is not Heisman worthy, option QB or not. We had a habit of ruining Heisman seasons back then, but IMO, that reverse pass he caught against OU won it for him.

2. Woodson over Manning

3. Gino Torretta over Marshall Faulk

CowboyMRW
8/26/2012, 08:46 AM
I vote for Mark Ingram. I don't think he deserved it that year. He really wasn't even the best RB on his own team.

Ruf/Nek7
8/26/2012, 08:54 AM
Paul Hornung beat out Jim Brown because he was white. Tyre first black Heisman winner wouldnt come for another 5 years.

PLaw
8/26/2012, 11:25 AM
Archie's second should have gone to "smoke through a keyhole".

Bummer

SoonerofAlabama
8/26/2012, 11:43 AM
I vote for Mark Ingram. I don't think he deserved it that year. He really wasn't even the best RB on his own team.

Even Alabama fans admit he didn't deserve it so he definitely shouldn't have IMO.

SoonerorLater
8/26/2012, 02:09 PM
Paul Hornung beat out Jim Brown because he was white. Tyre first black Heisman winner wouldnt come for another 5 years.

I agree that Hornung shouldn't have won but neither should Brown. Hard to say about Jim Brown since he was one of the greatest ever to lace up a pair of cleats but Tommy McDonald really had the best year and led OU to a third unbeaten season and a championship.

HToady
8/26/2012, 02:41 PM
Anybody remember the winner in 2000?

Chris Weinke. Great choice.

Same year that Ladanian Tomlinson was a finalist.

goingoneight
8/26/2012, 05:03 PM
Troy Smith wasn't anymore impressive than Paul Thompson was in 2006. And he had three years as a starter versus PT's three weeks. That said, if AD was healthy no more than 70% of the season, we'd have a sixth statue in Norman already.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/26/2012, 05:15 PM
2. Archie Griffin (Ohio State Buckeyes) - 1975 Heisman Trophy Winner

Griffin had won the 1974 Heisman so naturally he was the favorite entering the 1975 campaign. His talent was undeniable but his numbers dropped off from his 1974 season. He rushed for 1,357 yards, but that was 263 less than the year before and only scored 4 touchdowns. You don't have to look far for a player that put up much better numbers. Griffin's teammate, Pete Johnson, rushed for 1,059 yards and 25 touchdowns. Johnson scored as many rushing touchdowns in one season as 2-time Heisman Trophy winner Griffin scored in his entire four year career.

I believe USC had a tailback named Rickey Bell who statistically far outpaced Griffin that year

Tulsa_Fireman
8/26/2012, 11:05 PM
Anybody remember the winner in 2000?

Chris Weinke. Great choice.

Same year that Ladanian Tomlinson was a finalist.

Could've swore LT was a lock that year. Didn't he go for 2000 his senior season?

Guy was a stud. And he proved it in the league.

PlanOUred
8/27/2012, 08:21 AM
I vote for Eddie George in 1995. Definately should have been Tommy Frasier.

George was clearly the best player in college football that year. Frazier was good but not close to Heisman consideration. If you look at from an unbiased viewpoint, George was clearly the better college player....pro player as well. But, Frazier was good, just not in the league as George.....look at George's film again.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2012, 08:24 AM
Matt Leinart 2004

AD shouldve won hands down

JLEW1818
8/27/2012, 08:57 AM
Vince Young... :excitement:

HToady
8/27/2012, 12:43 PM
Could've swore LT was a lock that year. Didn't he go for 2000 his senior season?

Yes. With 406 (an NCAA Record) coming against UTEP....OU's opponent this week!

Chris Wienke did..................?

badger
8/27/2012, 12:48 PM
It seems that the Heisman has turned into the award where whoever has the best story wins in.

In Mark Ingram's case, here was one of the most winningest programs in the history of ever that had never won a Heisman. So, let's toss them a bone.

There are countless other cases like this, in which case I really, really think that All Day should have gotten it in 2004. Hell, they arranged for his incarcerated dad to speak to him via phone at the ceremony. He was a studly freshman that was dealing with family hardship and was on the verge of winning a national championship (ARRRRRGH). what else do you need in a Heisman winner?!?

Apparently you need a cross-eyed fat kid who fails in the Neffel :mad:

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2012, 01:03 PM
It seems that the Heisman has turned into the award where whoever has the best story wins in.

In Mark Ingram's case, here was one of the most winningest programs in the history of ever that had never won a Heisman. So, let's toss them a bone.

There are countless other cases like this, in which case I really, really think that All Day should have gotten it in 2004. Hell, they arranged for his incarcerated dad to speak to him via phone at the ceremony. He was a studly freshman that was dealing with family hardship and was on the verge of winning a national championship (ARRRRRGH). what else do you need in a Heisman winner?!?

Apparently you need a cross-eyed fat kid who fails in the Neffel :mad:

the other thing is, Jason Whites numbers that year were better than his Heisman year's numbers. So if Im not mistaken, the combination of AD being a FROSH (which the some stupid writers still feel is a no no) and White taking some of AD's votes, were huge factors in the cross-eyed one winning

hawaii 5-0
8/27/2012, 10:14 PM
Vince Young... :excitement:

Cut today by the Buffalo Bills. Sad.

Not really.

5-0

soonerboy_odanorth
8/27/2012, 10:39 PM
White ran for over 2,000 yards that year.

Not to quibble, but it was 1,800... which was still 300 yards more than Sims.

Salt City Sooner
8/27/2012, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure if USC themselves decided to do it, but a few years ago, the NCAA started allowing for bowl stats to be included in yearly totals, & the 247 CW put up on tOSU in the Rose Bowl put him over 2,000. It obviously didn't count when it came time to award the Heisman that year (one reason that I'd love nothing more than for them to wait until after the bowls to award it, but I digress), but I do retrospectively include it in my personal opinion on it. The guy had a heck of a year.

MamaMia
8/28/2012, 12:30 AM
I don't know about who should not have won it, however I do believe Adrian Peterson should have won the Heisman. I believe that it wasn't offered to him because his stellar performance happened so early on in his college career. I don't think that should have been a factor. Once he suffered the injuries, he didn't stand a chance.

70sooner
8/28/2012, 11:54 AM
Archie's second should have gone to "smoke through a keyhole".

Bummer

damn straight. Little Joe, baby!~

Land Run Sports
8/28/2012, 03:40 PM
I might get stabbed for this, but I think Jason White winning the award in '03 is debatable. Larry Fitzgerald should've won it that year. He didn't have the "comeback" story like J. White, however, his numbers as a WR were very impressive. Let it rain hate.

SoonerAtKU
8/28/2012, 03:52 PM
Let's not forget that the vote was done before the KSU game that year. If it was done after, there's zero chance that White wins it. At the time of the vote, White and OU seemed unbelievably strong on offense. We're blessed (cursed?) with hindsight after seeing the poor performances in the Big XII and Sugar Bowl.

Land Run Sports
8/28/2012, 04:00 PM
Let's not forget that the vote was done before the KSU game that year. If it was done after, there's zero chance that White wins it. At the time of the vote, White and OU seemed unbelievably strong on offense. We're blessed (cursed?) with hindsight after seeing the poor performances in the Big XII and Sugar Bowl.

I couldn't agree more.

SoonerDood
8/28/2012, 04:41 PM
I don't understand why people say Jason didn't deserve it. Carson Palmer had the greatest year a college QB ever had in 2002. Jason had decidedly better numbers in 2003 in just about every category, while playing for a better team.

Salt City Sooner
8/28/2012, 04:56 PM
I might get stabbed for this, but I think Jason White winning the award in '03 is debatable. Larry Fitzgerald should've won it that year. He didn't have the "comeback" story like J. White, however, his numbers as a WR were very impressive. Let it rain hate.
No stabbing or hating :) but I can't automatically buy it. Yes he had a good year, but he did it against a ton of defenses who couldn't defend the pass worth a flip. He played one good pass defense that season (Miami, who was ranked #4 nationally in pass eff. defense) & got shut down to the tune of 4 catches for 26 yards & one cosmetic TD that occurred late in the 4th with the games outcome not in question at that point. The next highest ranked P.E.D. that he played that year was #44 Virginia in their bowl game.

Land Run Sports
8/28/2012, 05:10 PM
I don't understand why people say Jason didn't deserve it. Carson Palmer had the greatest year a college QB ever had in 2002. Jason had decidedly better numbers in 2003 in just about every category, while playing for a better team.

I'm not saying White didn't deserve it. In fact, what Jason accomplished in '03 was incredible. Forget the surgerys, his accuracy and TD to INT ratio was sick. With that said, the media, the voters and the fans fell in love with his "comeback" story. That catapulted his chances of winning the Heisman. Had he won the "big games" ...or at least one 'em (BigXII Championship and National Championship), I wouldn't even bother throwing his name in the mix. Overall, I think Fitzgerald was more deserving '03. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he won it!!!

opksooner
8/28/2012, 05:27 PM

Paul Hornung won because Jerry Tubbs and Tommy McDonald were both nominated that year and split votes. Hornung himself said Tommy deserved the Heisman.

Mazeppa
8/28/2012, 08:14 PM

But Billy had more "Style" points. :)

soonerboy_odanorth
8/29/2012, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure if USC themselves decided to do it, but a few years ago, the NCAA started allowing for bowl stats to be included in yearly totals, & the 247 CW put up on tOSU in the Rose Bowl put him over 2,000. It obviously didn't count when it came time to award the Heisman that year (one reason that I'd love nothing more than for them to wait until after the bowls to award it, but I digress), but I do retrospectively include it in my personal opinion on it. The guy had a heck of a year.

Oh... you're absolutely right. The NCAA does count bowl stats now and retroactively. So with the revision he was over 2,000. I completely missed that.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/29/2012, 10:35 AM
With the exception of Archie, most of the guys mentioned in this thread deserved to win the heisman when they did..hindsight on what they did afterwards shouldn't matter.

PrideMom
8/29/2012, 11:09 AM
The player that SHOULD have gotten is Josh Heupel!

goingoneight
8/29/2012, 11:57 AM
Ingram over Suh comes to mind.

MyT Oklahoma
8/29/2012, 06:41 PM
Pat Sullivan at Auburn in 1971, for actually saying that he didn't deserve it after OU beat them 40-22 in the Sugar Bowl.

He also said that the runner up that year (Jack Mildren) deserved it instead.

It's amazing the things that you don't forget even after all of these years.

MamaMia
8/29/2012, 08:48 PM
The Heisman is given for reasons that have more to do with performance than just numbers and stats. It was meant to be that way.

MyT Oklahoma
8/29/2012, 10:59 PM
The Heisman is given for reasons that have more to do with performance than just numbers and stats. It was meant to be that way.

But.. but.. but.. what was the question again?

MichiganSooner
8/30/2012, 07:48 PM
Griffin got Ohio State in the redzone and Pete Johnson bulled his way into it. A Belldozer-not exactly, but sort of.

picasso
8/30/2012, 08:22 PM
If we scored more points against Pokie and K-state in Nov 2000, I think Heupel wins it. His outing at k-state (earlier) that year was epic.