PDA

View Full Version : Sooner defense with new attitude (from Foxsportssouthwest.com)

Mazeppa
8/24/2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/08/22/12/Sooner-defense-with-new-attitude-this-se/landing_big12.html?blockID=779237&feedID=4519

85sooners
8/24/2012, 09:37 PM
Mike is the man!!!!!

BigTip
8/24/2012, 10:24 PM
At least they know that it was them, the secondary, that lost games for us. The quote uses "unexplainable". I have used "inexplicable" several times in describing last year's secondary. I'm shaking my head right now.

"but the real downfall of the season came through the secondary as the defense was unexplainable in a loss to Texas Tech and somewhere beyond underwhelming and unimpressive in defeats against Baylor and Oklahoma State."

But this is what Mike will hopefully bring, a change of attitude.

Mazeppa
8/24/2012, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=56nHBah7mdE

budbarrybob
8/25/2012, 01:27 AM
"The Autumn wind is a Sooner
Blustering in from sea
With a rollicking song he sweeps along
Swaggering boisterously

His face is weather beaten
He wears a hooded sash

With his Crimson hat about his head
And a bristly black moustache

He growls as he storms the country
A Sooner big and bold

And the trees all shake and quiver and quake
As he robs them of their gold

The Autumn wind is a Sooner
Pillaging just for fun

He'll knock you 'round and upside down
And laugh when he's conquered and won"

With all props to the Raider poem. I hope that MS coming in isn't just blustery winds. The boy's will certainly have to prove it on the field. Here's hoping the MS's defense isn't the one I saw for the first time at KSU when he was shown up in the press box looking rather flustered

cleller
8/25/2012, 07:25 AM
Hopefully that article is correct and this crap is over with:

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/1sharkinnetgd.jpg

SoonerinSouthlake
8/25/2012, 02:14 PM
this is actually the kind of feedback I was hoping to get when I started this thread
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?169857-Mike-Stoops

I love the fact that Tony J got off twitter. I had to unfollow him...he was a serial over tweeter!!!!

Im glad to see this article...hope it translates to a mean/nasty/confident brand of play on the field.

StoopTroup
8/25/2012, 02:25 PM
It was all Twitters fault.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/25/2012, 03:12 PM
It was all Twitters fault.

well clearly you're being sarcastic. But generally speaking tweeting is done by
a) People who have lots of people who want to know what they are thinking/teaching/saying
b)Businesses who offer things that lots of people want to know about
c) reporters who really do have good connections and can get you information fast
d) People in the spotlight, have have nothing worthwhile to tweet, but get lots of followers because they're associated with something that lots of people like. These people tend to think that people really do care that they just ate a great meal at taco bell, or just beat their homey in madden.

Im a TJ fan, but he was clearly in category D. I know this doesn't directly link with play on the field...but I think it actually does speak to a different mentality about the way they run their mouths. Perhaps they feel like this year they have to let their play do some major talking before they start mouthin' and doing shark dances.

Or maybe Im completely off base and he was actually tweeting while opposing QB's were under center.

C&CDean
8/25/2012, 05:58 PM
I was up in the walmarts today. They had the 2000 NC game on the tube there. The thing I was most impressed with was watching Derrick Strait cover people, Ontei Jones hit people, and everyone on the defense making tackles. Weinke had all day to throw most of the time and the DBs had to be stellar. Roy Williams was in pass coverage quite a bit too.

The main thing though was the way Ontei closed and then tackled. I haven't seen that kind of tackling out of our secondary/LBs in a long time.

We've been subpar on defense for one reason. Players. Some got hurt. Some who were just not smart enough to get it. Some who were too proud to listen to coaching. Some who were more interested in running around looking stupid with their hand on their head looking like chickens, and finally, some who maybe just weren't good enough to play at this level. This final group I feel bad for.

For our "new" defense to be effective we've got to a) dumb it down, b) not get hurt, c) stfu and listen to the coaches and follow your assignments, d) knock off the shark/twitter/glitter horse****. If we can do that, we can be good enough to win them all. If not, we're gonna have a whole bunch of cranial implosions in Soonerville.

King Crimson
8/25/2012, 06:05 PM
we'll see about the new D and Mikey's return. most of the time, back to the past hires are not the success people remember imo.

but, i gotta say while i was not a Venables hater per se, i have never seen a team get beat on 3rd and Forever as many times as we did the last couple/3 years. seriously.

SoonerMarkVA
8/25/2012, 06:31 PM
The main thing though was the way Ontei closed and then tackled. I haven't seen that kind of tackling out of our secondary/LBs in a long time.

T-Marsh had a heck of a game, and I can't fault for him being chosen MVP, but I thought at the time that the best player on the field that night was Ontei. He was just on a mission, and he absolutely closed the deal. I felt so great for him after the way he'd come to OU, fought his way back up after Blake left, and had that night in his home state.

olevetonahill
8/25/2012, 06:49 PM
we'll see about the new D and Mikey's return. most of the time, back to the past hires are not the success people remember imo.

but, i gotta say while i was not a Venables hater per se, i have never seen a team get beat on 3rd and Forever as many times as we did the last couple/3 years. seriously.

Theres usually a reason and a dayum good one to not Remarry an Ex wife
jes sayin

King Crimson
8/25/2012, 07:07 PM
Theres usually a reason and a dayum good one to not Remarry an Ex wife
jes sayin

you say it better than me.

i don't think we'll be straight out of all of a sudden instant 2000 or 2001 again just because Mike is back.

nostalgia is a cruel master.

olevetonahill
8/25/2012, 07:24 PM

i don't think we'll be straight out of all of a sudden instant 2000 or 2001 again just because Mike is back.

Just gettin to nut cuttin bro
Where ya been ? aint seen ya much in awhile

C&CDean
8/25/2012, 07:36 PM

Nostalgia...she's a bitch. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of Sooner fans riding her skirt right now. I hope and pray she's kind to them. That would make me smile.

8timechamps
8/25/2012, 07:40 PM
I remember watching the 2000 title game, and whoever was calling the game said "Oklahoma is one of the best tackling teams in the country". That's one thing I'd like to see return, because I've had several small heart attacks watching our guys miss tackles.

TXBOOMER
8/25/2012, 07:42 PM
Talk is cheap. SHow me the baby.

GottaHavePride
8/25/2012, 10:10 PM
Ontei was a beast that game. And a player most fans don't even talk about now.

SOONERMANN13
8/31/2012, 07:33 AM
Wasn't Derrick Strait supposed to join the staff this season? is he here? am i making this up? did i miss something?

Jacie
8/31/2012, 07:41 AM
. . . i have never seen a team get beat on 3rd and Forever as many times as we did the last couple/3 years. seriously.

I remember a couple of Switzer teams giving up some third and long conversions (John Elway somehow found traction on our wet astroturf when everyone else was slipping and sliding while Jeff Hostetler was the coolest person in our Easy Bake oven of a stadium one sunny day throwing and hitting 40-yard bombs on third down seemingly at will) so last season was more like deja vu than WTF . . .