PDA

View Full Version : My dogs have me trained

MamaMia
8/24/2012, 03:47 PM
Oh, what have I done? ~sigh

My dogs go outside; a lot. I do have a doggy door but its up a bit high and my dogs are little. One of my dogs has a protruded disk and the other has hip dysplasia so I don't want them jumping through the doggy door so I put the cover on it.

To get them to come inside fast as not to allow the heat or an insect to fly into my kitchen, I would have a treat ready. Now, all day long, every half hour, like clockwork, they literally take turns going outside so that they can get a treat. I know they are doing it for the treat because all they do is stand there and wait about 3 minutes looking at the door before they scratch on it to be let back in. They know that if one gets a treat, I don't have the heart to not give them both one. The treats are dried organic chicken and have gotten smaller in size. Its like they came up with this plan and I'm the patsy. :O

If I don't give them the treat they just stand there on the back porch looking at me. If I make them wait a little longer before I open the door, they will go ahead and come in for the air conditioning factor, but then they sit next to me with these sad looks on their faces making me feel guilty.

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 03:58 PM
Build them a wheelchair ramp...

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 04:02 PM
When I first installed mine our dogs wouldn't use the damn door...treats...nothing would get them to use it...

So I removed the door for a few days and they would go out...

Reinstall the door...nope...ain't going

Removed door and hung a towel over opening..out they would go...

Replace door...nope...

Bought a spare door and cut off the bottom third...yep...

Replace full door....nope...

I then glued two thirds of the removed part of the door back to the top half...yep...

Full door...YES!

Took two weeks....

MamaMia
8/24/2012, 04:15 PM
That sounds like quite a project. :)

They have a very nice ramp. Its brand new. The first set of stairs are rather steep and I have a loved who visits, so it is a real wheelchair ramp.

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 04:35 PM
Escalator?

It was a project...the thing cost me damn near 200 bucks so they were going to use it one way or another...

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 04:36 PM
Now I just tell em "Doggy door" and out they go....

8timechamps
8/24/2012, 07:47 PM
Mama, I'm with you. I've had several dogs in my life, but the one I have now is spoiled....badly. I have spent a lot of time training him to do various things, but for some reason, when I taught him the most useless thing he knows (how to "shake"), it stuck out in his head. Now, no matter what I tell him to do, he comes back to me and "shakes". I'm sure he related it early in life to getting a treat.

Dogs are the best.

8timechamps
8/24/2012, 07:48 PM
When I first installed mine our dogs wouldn't use the damn door...treats...nothing would get them to use it...

So I removed the door for a few days and they would go out...

Reinstall the door...nope...ain't going

Removed door and hung a towel over opening..out they would go...

Replace door...nope...

Bought a spare door and cut off the bottom third...yep...

Replace full door....nope...

I then glued two thirds of the removed part of the door back to the top half...yep...

Full door...YES!

Took two weeks....

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but this had me laughing so hard my side hurt.

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 07:51 PM
And the sad part is that it is a true story...

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 08:02 PM
KInda like My weenie and the Black lab "Knothead"

When the weenie found me out here in the sticks she would NOT go O/S for love nor money nor snacks nor Beatin her worthless azz.
I also to put in a Doggy door bout 30 bucks from Atwoods . Finally got the worthless bitch to go in an out by using the treat method. works great unless the weather is real HOT or REAL COLD then she just ****s in the floor and says OK dont give me a treat today

But on her good mornings as in the weather being ideal. She will go O/S then come runnin for her treat and of course Knot head remember him? he says Hell I dont ever make a mess so if that bitch gets one I want one to. so they both get a treat

About 5 minutes later here comes the little bitch runnin again she went out and then back in now she wants another treat
Normal mornings I let her get away with this 3 er 4 times Knothead loves it cause hes gettin treats just fer the hell of it

The best part about Biznacho going O/S she goes JUST outside the door ****s on the deck in front of the door and thinks shes done sompun good

In a way she has at least it aint INSIDE

Now Ive had to replace that dayum Doggie door 3 times then last year I said to hell with that plastic crap and bot a metal one

Seems Knothead thinks he SHOULD be able to go in an out also so he tears the plastic ones right out the door

I hate dogs

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 08:06 PM
lol...mine are both weiners...one is full blood the other is a mix...

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 08:06 PM
And the sad part is that it is a true story...

When i trained Biznacho to use the door I threw her worthless azz O/S then opened the flap and let her see the treat . wouldnt let her have it but would let her see it then called her Had a friend O/S w3irh her and he would shove her fat azz thru it Id give her a treat. then shove her back thru O/S and he would give her a treat

Maybe thats why the crazy bitch goes in an out so much now ? HMMMMM
but at least she uses it for the most part

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 08:13 PM
lol...mine are both weiners...one is full blood the other is a mix...

been about 5 an a1/2 years ago now
I had my doors open in the early spring airing the shack out
Bout 8:30 at night it starts gettin buggy so I close the doors . Now remember I really do live in the Middle of the woods on the side of a hill. The county road is at least 400 yards down hill and out of site

So anyway Im a sittin here and get to drankin and playin online Poker . about 4:30 AM 8 hours after I shut the door I decide I need to make me a sammich and pass out I walk in my kitchen and there she sat lookin at me Like I been here all day ya gonna feed me ?

No clue where the bitch came from , Im guessin she came in that day at least 8 hours before , saw my bed Jumped her azz up on the bed and wriggled under the covers and went to sleep.
Now if I get out of her sight she Crys and whines untill I get back to where she can see me
I got a weird Weenie , Ya wanta stroke it ?

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 08:29 PM
They are actually my gf's dogs...I bought her the full blood...

Katy the mix

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/154.jpg

Mia...we iz buds...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/004-7.jpg

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 08:45 PM
Biznacho looks like Mia cept Older an fatter and uglier and stuff

Plus No clue what had happened to her before she ever showed up here But she got some nast scars and ****. Plus her tail was broken and never fixed so it comes up over her back and then points north

But she thinks she purty

MamaMia
8/25/2012, 03:16 AM
Those are funny stories; All of pphilfrans door carpentry, 8timeschamps dog playing him with the shake trick, and the weenie doggy just showing up like that. Priceless. :D

I have only had 4 dogs in my life. My first, a blonde Lhasa Apso needed a brother so when he was 1 year old, I happened upon a black Shih Tzu puppy who need a home. The Lhasa was smarter than his brother though. I didn't have a doggy door at that place. The Lhasa would eat his treat right away but the younger brother would only eat half and keep the rest of it in his doggy bed saving it for later. Well, the Lhasa figured out how he could get his brothers treat. He would go to the back door, scratch on it as if he wanted to go outside. The other dog would hear it and would race outside past the Lhasa, at which time the Lhasa would turn around and grab his brothers treat. He actually thought about this and strategically calculated his plan.

He was smart, this one. One Saturday all my kids, nieces, nephews and my sister were here. We were sitting outside watching the kids swim when all of the sudden out of the blue he looked at me, I think trying to say the word "Mama" but it sounded more like "NahNah" in a soft growly way using his voice, lips and tongue! When I looked at him, he just smiled all proud of himself. Every time he wanted my attention he would do that. He did it in my vets office. My vet said that he also knew a Boston Terrier who could do that! :D

Flagstaffsooner
8/26/2012, 08:00 AM
You people need to get cats.

C&CDean
8/26/2012, 08:08 AM
You people need to get cats.

No kiddin' It's almost deer season and we all need to hone our marksmanship.

pphilfran
8/26/2012, 08:19 AM
lol

stoopified
8/29/2012, 02:14 PM
No kiddin' It's almost deer season and we all need to hone our marksmanship. True dat :D