PDA

View Full Version : September 2, 2000: OU-UTEP..March for Perfection Begins

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2012, 11:32 AM
Throughout the season as i have time, I'll go back and give some highlights from the2000 season..Some things remembered, some things forgotten. As time passes and legends grow, we tend to forget the reality of the season. I find it fitting that we begin with the first game of the 2000 season..OU-UTEP

Things forgotten: Brandon Everage and Torrance Marshall were both suspended for the opener and did not play..Stoops said the suspensions were for "unspecified reasons."..I have my own suspicions.
Bad offensive play..Heuple..Griffin..Mackey..Not much of a day for 3 guys that many expected big days from.

Things remembered: Renaldo Works huge 4th quarter that made this game's final look better than the game itself went..I remember thinking, "We are watching the next great runningback at OU."

It was the hottest game I think I've ever been to.. Over 105 degrees at kickoff.

Sec 18, row 34 is where I watched this game. After finishing out the 99 season 7-5, there was a sense of expectancy in the air as nearly 75k showed, the largest for a home opener since '88. The final score was 55-14 but it was an ugly game.

UTEP,realizing how overmatched they were, opened the game with an onside kick..And it didn't work out very well for them.

The defense played well against a pretty lousy offense. Not to take anything away from the defense that day, but UTEP did what it could to keep themselves out of this game, turning the ball over 7 times, 5 fumbles and 2 INTs. Some forced, some just the Miners being sloppy, but a turnover is a turnover.

OU struck first and Heupel scored from a yard out after UTEP fumbled a reverse on it's first play from scrimmage..it only took 3 plays to capitalize and it looked like the route would be on..But Damien Mackey who had a not-so-great game fumbled a reception away that UTEP was able to capitalize on and the game was 7-7. OU would answer back and Heupel would put OU back ahead 14-7 moments later..Tim Duncan chipped one in to make it 17-7.

The 2nd and 3rd quarters for the offense did not fair to well. But Roy Williams would get the Sooners back to the endzone with a 35 yard INT return to make it 24-7. Duncan would chip another in and go in to the lockerroom up 27-7..

The offensive struggles were pretty ugly in the 1st half..Heupel went in to the lockerroom 12-25 including at one point 7 straight incompletions..Luckily since he hadn't followed up any other passing quarterbacks, no one was begging for his benching. But that kind of half 10 years later would have had this board begging for Mangino to sit him down.

Penalties were a huge part of this game..9 of them for 70 yards went against the Sooners including a Damien Mackey offensive PI call that negated a TD..The mistakes made were the kind that made you think back to the Blake days.

One of the most disappointing aspects of the game so far was the inept running game. It could barely get going and Griffin struggled with breaking tackles. It seemed that if anyone got a hand on him, he was going down..He did set up the 2nd score with a nice catch and run.

The 3rd quarter started out OUs way with JT Thatcher intercepting a badly thrown pass and Antwone Savage catching a 20 yard pass from Heupel.

UTEP answered in the 3rd and the 3rd quarter ends with the score 34-14..At this point for Sooner fans, a win is a win but everyone can tell this is a game that shouldn't be this close.

Enter Renaldo Works. The Sooners enter the 4th quarter with 43 yards rushing on 17 carries(this could be off a carry or yard somewhere).Works, a 6'1 208lb RB, is called on to finish this game out as the team is struggling running the ball. Works had carried the ball 4 times total in the first 3 quarters but carried 15 times in the 4th quarter for 79 yards..He set up his own 19 yard TD with a 20 yard run and then scored again on a 6 yard run draggin defenders into the endzone..He punctuated his outstanding 4th quarter with a 5 yard run...15 for 79 yards and 3TDs in one quarter had the fans excited for what they would see from him the next game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wibjhur0Ygk

Widescreen
8/24/2012, 12:10 PM
I remember that Works TD where he fought through 2 or 3 guys dragging them into the endzone. Awesome play.

I'm looking forward to your analysis of the KU game due to the secondary issues.

8timechamps
8/24/2012, 12:23 PM
Good post STEP, brought back some memories, I had forgotten we played UTEP to open the season that year. I admittedly forget Works contributions that season (especially against A&M), but after watching that touchdown run at the end of that video, I remember how tough he was to bring down.

The one big thing I remember from that game is UTEP couldn't hang on to the ball, and Perez (the UTEP QB) was in way over his head.

goingoneight
8/24/2012, 12:29 PM
Quick note: every time go8 has attended a season-opener, OU has played for a National Championship if not won it.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2012, 01:29 PM
I remember that Works TD where he fought through 2 or 3 guys dragging them into the endzone. Awesome play.

I'm looking forward to your analysis of the KU game due to the secondary issues.

Yeah, I've watched that one already like 3 times going how in the world did this team go undefeated...

One reason I wanted to do this is because we live in a highlight film world...And the last 12 years, all you remember is highlights because that's all we have seen..And even though the end result was amazing, this team would have got ripped to shreds with current day social media/message boards..I know there was boards then, but they've changed somewhat..The threads would have been:

"Fire Mangino", "Is Heupel really the best we can do?" About 10 threads on "Works > Griffin"

Sooner_Bob
8/24/2012, 01:32 PM
"Fire Mangino", "Is Heupel really the best we can do?" About 10 threads on "Works > Griffin"

Those are some brilliant opinions right there . . . . what have you done for me lately, right? :)

agoo758
8/24/2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I've watched that one already like 3 times going how in the world did this team go undefeated...

One reason I wanted to do this is because we live in a highlight film world...And the last 12 years, all you remember is highlights because that's all we have seen..And even though the end result was amazing, this team would have got ripped to shreds with current day social media/message boards..I know there was boards then, but they've changed somewhat..The threads would have been:

It was 2000, not 2012. I opine that we would have been a bit easier given the 90's

Pricetag
8/24/2012, 02:27 PM
this team would have got ripped to shreds with current day social media/message boards..I know there was boards then, but they've changed somewhat..The threads would have been:

Heh, my board of choice back then was Carey Murdock's BoomerSooner.net board. I'll never forget a poster called "motherbird" declaring that "TEXAS WILL LIGHT US UP!!!!!" after the Kansas game.

Wow, this was a long time ago. Jason Shackelford from Channel 2 still had some hair.

I'll never forget watching the stretchers go up and down the aisles during that game tending to the heat-stricken folks.

Was this the game where the PA guy called Works "freshman sensation Renaldo Works," or was it the Arkansas State game? I remember creating him in NCAA Football 2001 for the Playstation.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2012, 02:47 PM
I believe it was the Arkansas State game...That will be the game for next week.

85sooners
8/24/2012, 02:48 PM
I'm ready to go tackle some muthers now!!!

Widescreen
8/24/2012, 05:11 PM
Heh, my board of choice back then was Carey Murdock's BoomerSooner.net board. I'll never forget a poster called "motherbird" declaring that "TEXAS WILL LIGHT US UP!!!!!" after the Kansas game.

I heard that comment a lot walking out of the stadium that day. I know I was thinking it.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/25/2012, 08:25 AM
At the end of that YouTube clip the reporter referenced the Arkansas State Wonderboys. He got State and Tech confused. And I'm ashamed I even know that. I have officially lived in Arkansas too long.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2012, 12:08 PM
At the end of that YouTube clip the reporter referenced the Arkansas State Wonderboys. He got State and Tech confused. And I'm ashamed I even know that. I have officially lived in Arkansas too long.

I knew that ASU wasnt the wonderboys but I didn't know why he called them that.. I thought he was just trying to be a smart A

Landthief 1972
8/25/2012, 01:18 PM
It never ceases to amaze me at how long of a stride Quinten Griffin had, especially for as short as he was. He'd get grabbed by the jersey and just stre-e-e-e-e-e-ch out that leg, plant the cleat, and pull himself free.

NMSooner'80
8/25/2012, 09:13 PM
I was at that 2000 game and will be there a week from tonight. People do forget that UTEP was better than the score showed. They went 8-3 in the regular season.

One odd weather-related note is that it'll probably be 20 degrees cooler for the kickoff in El Paso on Sept. 1 than it was 12 years ago in Norman. But the stadium down there does reflect a lot of heat off those small mountains that surround it.

C&CDean
8/26/2012, 08:17 AM
Our tailgate was in the grass in front of the Huston-Huffman back then. SanAntonioSooner (if I recall correctly) showed up with a bunch of Shiner or some Texas beer and began hammering them down. I kept saying "dude, drink some water" and he goes "nah, I like beer." Anyhow, after a couple hours he's passed out in a lawn chair, and we're pouring water on his head to cool him down. It was ****ing hot.

If I recall correctly, that was the day of the Farkus Fracus as well. Good times...seems like only yesterday.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2012, 10:22 PM
I was at that 2000 game and will be there a week from tonight. People do forget that UTEP was better than the score showed. They went 8-3 in the regular season.

One odd weather-related note is that it'll probably be 20 degrees cooler for the kickoff in El Paso on Sept. 1 than it was 12 years ago in Norman. But the stadium down there does reflect a lot of heat off those small mountains that surround it.

Yeah but only 2 of those teams they beat had a winning record..Basically was like winning 8 games in the sunbelt..I believe Boise beat them in their bowl game that year..

They weren't a bad team, but they were that day..offense just struggled scoring off all of those TOs