PDA

View Full Version : Okie Atty General: Charter School Students May Undergo Religious Indoctrination

Midtowner
8/23/2012, 03:23 PM
Really Scott Pruitt? "The Oklahoma Charter Schools Act only requires a charter school to be nonsectarian in its operations and affiliation but does not prohibit a charter school student from accessing or receiving instruction at a community faith-based institution. 70 O.S.2011, § 3-136(A)(2)."

Welp... now charter schools can use our tax dollars for religious indoctrination purposes. How about Art. 2, Section 5 of the State Constitution? Didn't even discuss that in your opinion, did you?

§ 5. Public money or property - Use for sectarian purposes.

No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such.

How do you receive religious education on school grounds which are being paid for or rented with public money, from teachers whose salaries are paid with public money, using books paid for by public money, and not have that money be said to be used for sectarian purposes?

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?citeid=467777

KantoSooner
8/23/2012, 04:03 PM
Oh, come on Mid; testing wits with Scott Pruitt, for any sentient being, is like reshooting the classic "Godzilla meets Bambi". (and for those of you who feel that Scottie is even an adequate AG, let me be clear: Scott plays the role of Bambi in this one.)

okie52
8/23/2012, 04:08 PM
Sorry to say I don't know much about Pruitt.

So his shortcomings would be...?

Bourbon St Sooner
8/23/2012, 04:26 PM
So what's the context here? The state wants to give charters to religiously affiliated institutions?

Midtowner
8/23/2012, 04:57 PM
So what's the context here? The state wants to give charters to religiously affiliated institutions?

The funny thing is, the only arguably religious affiliated charters in Oklahoma are the Gulen schools, Dove Charter, etc.

--Muslims.

Now they can do things out in the open and require their kids to study the Koran.

Midtowner
8/23/2012, 04:58 PM

First off, he never practiced law.

I think he may have entered an appearance on one case, but he didn't do any writing or argument.

KantoSooner
8/23/2012, 04:59 PM

primary shortcoming is a willingness to get talked into insane windmill tilts against clearly established supreme court precedent, thus wasting the time and money of the state. It would appear that he is either a really bad lawyer or an incredibly gullible fool.

Midtowner
8/23/2012, 05:06 PM
primary shortcoming is a willingness to get talked into insane windmill tilts against clearly established supreme court precedent, thus wasting the time and money of the state. It would appear that he is either a really bad lawyer or an incredibly gullible fool.

Or just a pandering politician. This particular AG opinion is probably going to cost the state at least a million dollars to defend (and they'll lose). Also, currently, the only schools which are even arguably sectarian are Muslim schools. Pruitt's next opponent will be able to claim that the AG opened the door wide to the Oklahoma taxpayers funding public school Madrasahs.

This sort of hits home in that the Oklahoma voters are really too dumb to be electing attorney generals. I'd rather have the office appointed.. even if the Governor is Mary Fallin. I don't care what you say, had Fallin appointed a guy like Glen Coffee to the AG position, none of this silliness would be happening.