PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary of the Government Murdering in Cold Blood

MR2-Sooner86
8/23/2012, 02:14 PM
Ruby Ridge Is History, But the Mindset That Led to Ruby Ridge Is Thriving (http://reason.com/blog/2012/08/22/ruby-ridge-is-history-but-the-mindset-th)

It has been 20 years since the clash (http://reason.com/archives/1993/10/01/ambush-at-ruby-ridge/singlepage) at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, an assault that led to the violent deaths of three human beings and a dog. Randy and Vicki Weaver, a Midwestern couple, had moved to the mountains of the Pacific Northwest, where they planned to live as self-sufficiently as possible. Then the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms entrapped Randy on a minor weapons violation and offered him a deal: The charge would be dismissed if he became an informant in white separatist circles. Instead Weaver skipped (or just missed) his trial (*) and moved his family to a cabin in the wilderness.

When federal agents arrived on the scene, they shot the family dog. The Weavers' son Sam, not realizing what was going on, fired a shot in response and then fled, at which point an agent shot him in the back. Kevin Harris, a visiting friend, fired at the attacking cops and killed one. The FBI's snipers went on to wound both Randy and Harris, and one of the sharpshooters killed Vicki, firing a bullet into her head while she held her 10-month-old daughter.

An 11-day standoff ensued. After Weaver surrendered, he and Harris were found innocent of murder. An internal report subsequently concluded that the FBI had violated the Weavers' constitutional rights. Some figures within the agency suspected that they were in the wrong well before then, though -- a few days into the siege, Danny Coulson of the FBI wrote this (http://books.google.com/books?id=UOy-7sG5CVEC&pg=PA56&lpg=PA56&dq=%22No+one+saw+Weaver+do+any+shooting%22&source=bl&ots=WDUfnPDVgC&sig=lDoHZdtRfJ5Cy8yehUCdkfPekcE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4_Y0UPvsDMWJ0QGClICADQ&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22No%20one%20saw%20Weaver%20do%20any%20shooting %22&f=false) in a memo:

Something to Consider
1. Charge against Weaver is Bull ****.
2. No one saw Weaver do any shooting.
3. Vicki has no charges against her.
4. Weaver's defense. He ran down the hill to see what dog was barking at. Some guys in camys [camouflage] shot his dog. Started shooting at him. Killed his son. Harris did the shooting [of the FBI agent]. He [Randy Weaver] is in pretty strong legal position.
Not a bad summary.

It isn't hard to find examples of marginal groups whose paranoia about the government drove them to violence. The tale of the Weavers shows how the government's paranoia about marginal groups can drive it to violence, too. The feds looked at a family with fringy views and perceived a threat, and as a result a woman, a boy, a dog, and one of the government's own agents were killed. It wouldn't be the last time something like that happened. A year later in Waco, the Branch Davidians' paranoia would be no match for the paranoia of the Davidians' enemies.

I wish I could report that the authorities' fear has faded in the decades since Ruby Ridge and Waco. Instead it has been institutionalized in the fusion centers (http://reason.com/blog/2011/02/02/you-might-be-a-terrorist-too) that litter the country, where everybody from Ron Paul fans to anti-fracking activists have been tarred as potential terrorists. Meanwhile, the country's police forces have been steadily more militarized (http://www.cato.org/publications/white-paper/overkill-rise-paramilitary-police-raids-america). What a sad and terrifying combination.

Elsewhere in Reason: "The Paranoid Center." (http://reason.com/archives/2009/09/15/the-paranoid-center/singlepage)

(* I originally wrote that he simply skipped the trial, but a commenter reminds me that Weaver had been sent the wrong date. That said, Alan Bock's book on the standoff—which is in no sense sympathetic to the government—points out that there's a good chance Weaver wouldn't have shown up either way: "Randy later told friends that he was convinced he would be railroaded, that government witnesses would lie under oath, and that he would be convicted whether guilty or not." But even if Bock is right, the fact that Weaver wasn't told the right day for the court date he missed just underlines how over-the-top the government's reaction was.)

KABOOKIE
8/23/2012, 04:11 PM
When the Government comes for you, you will be labeled as a terrorist, pedophile, arms dealer, etc... They will blast this accusation over the state controlled media of NBC, CBS, ABC and CNN nonstop 24/7 until the people believe it to be true. This way it makes it easier on their conscious that tanks rolled in and killed your entire family. The government will then go on to say, "Look. We gave them all the time in the world to come out and admit their crimes against the US. Criminals must be punished by all means necessary."

SoonerProphet
8/23/2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/conger3.html

MR2-Sooner86
8/23/2012, 06:08 PM
When the Government comes for you, you will be labeled as a terrorist, pedophile, arms dealer, etc... They will blast this accusation over the state controlled media of NBC, CBS, ABC and CNN nonstop 24/7 until the people believe it to be true. This way it makes it easier on their conscious that tanks rolled in and killed your entire family. The government will then go on to say, "Look. We gave them all the time in the world to come out and admit their crimes against the US. Criminals must be punished by all means necessary."

Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed America, your goverment is in control. Here, here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their ****ing skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom. Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you! - Bill Hicks

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2012, 06:20 PM
Very well said.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 08:40 PM
If you guys hate this country so much why don't you get the f**k out.

Sooner5030
8/23/2012, 08:49 PM

don't confuse government for country.......or intrusive/kleptocracy with a small government. When this country was founded we empowered the government with a document that clearly states we can take back those powers. Not sure how though......it didn't include the instructions.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 09:36 PM
don't confuse government for country.......or intrusive/kleptocracy with a small government. When this country was founded we empowered the government with a document that clearly states we can take back those powers. Not sure how though......it didn't include the instructions.

You have the power. It is called a vote.

Some of you really need to travel and see how great we have it here. Americans are spoiled and **** and moan about the most trivial sh* t. Our government is better than any government on the planet. End of story.

SCOUT
8/23/2012, 09:38 PM
Being the best doesn't mean there can't be improvement.

I would also question your use of the word trivial. I don't think Ruby Ridge should be in that category.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2012, 10:02 PM

My government is not my country. This is the United States -- our country came well before our government.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2012, 10:05 PM
You have the power. It is called a vote.

Some of you really need to travel and see how great we have it here. Americans are spoiled and **** and moan about the most trivial sh* t. Our government is better than any government on the planet. End of story.
For the most part, you're right. But that's like saying that your child is the smartest in the LD class. Make no mistake, our theoretical government is not only the best in the world but the best ever devised by man. The reality is much different. The reality is an abomination and should be aborted.

As for change at the ballot box, I don't put all of the blame on the politicians. I put most if not all blame on the American people.

Midtowner
8/23/2012, 10:06 PM
The militarization of our police forces is a very troubling trend.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 10:07 PM
My government is not my country. This is the United States -- our country came well before our government.

No it didn't. The United States was formed by laws and the Constitution. Before that it belonged to the Indians.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 10:08 PM
Being the best doesn't mean there can't be improvement.

I would also question your use of the word trivial. I don't think Ruby Ridge should be in that category.

I was not referring to Ruby Ridge.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 10:10 PM
For the most part, you're right. But that's like saying that your child is the smartest in the LD class. Make no mistake, our theoretical government is not only the best in the world but the best ever devised by man. The reality is much different. The reality is an abomination and should be aborted.

As for change at the ballot box, I don't put all of the blame on the politicians. I put most if not all blame on the American people.

Says you. Have you travelled much?

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2012, 10:12 PM
Says you. Have you travelled much?

Yep. Nearly everywhere in Europe, a short jaunt to Canada, Mexico a couple of times (never ever again), and a good 3/4 of the United States.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2012, 10:14 PM
Nonetheless, how good or bad our political system is should not be measured by the relative strengths and weaknesses of others. Our nation should be judged based solely on how well we measure up to our founding principles.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 10:17 PM
Nonetheless, how good or bad our political system is should not be measured by the relative strengths and weaknesses of others. Our nation should be judged based solely on how well we measure up to our founding principles.

You mean like not giving women the right to vote or keeping slavery intact?

Jefferson wanted the Constitution rewritten every generation. That was probably a good idea.

SCOUT
8/23/2012, 10:18 PM
I was not referring to Ruby Ridge.
Which trivial 20th anniversary of the government murdering in cold blood, were you referring to?

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2012, 10:25 PM
You mean like not giving women the right to vote or keeping slavery intact.

Jefferson wanted the Constitution rewritten every generation. That was probably a good idea.

I don't want to get into either of those arguments with you tonight because it's well out of the scope of the current discussion.

Having studied Jefferson's political ideas in depth for years and years, I was fully aware of what you just mentioned. It's called "generational sovereignty" by the way. It didn't just include the Constitution either -- it included all laws, social conventions, and public institutions. Madison pointed out that Jefferson's concept of generational sovereignty was utterly impossible due to the inability to make any clear demarcation between generations. It's absurd of course, but there is something to say for the idea that compelling one generation to live under the laws and institutions of preceding generations is a form of tyranny. Of course my guess is that you'd be less than enthusiastic about this idea if successive generations overturned what you would consider to be social progress.

I adore Jefferson with every fiber of my being, but I would caution against taking too many of his..eh...quirkier theories and trying to make them into concrete and practical policy ideas. Madison tried, often in vain, to do just that.

All of that is neither here nor there. The point is that comparing our political system to others as a measuring stick for how great we are is nonsense and pointless (Compared to Sudan, WE'RE #1!!!!). The only legitimate measuring stick are the principles upon which we were founded.

diverdog
8/23/2012, 10:30 PM
I don't want to get into either of those arguments with you tonight because it's well out of the scope of the current discussion.

Having studied Jefferson's political ideas in depth for years and years, I was fully aware of what you just mentioned. It's called "generational sovereignty" by the way. It didn't just include the Constitution either -- it included all laws, social conventions, and public institutions. Madison pointed out that Jefferson's concept of generational sovereignty was utterly impossible due to the inability to make any clear demarcation between generations. It's absurd of course, but there is something to say for the idea that compelling one generation to live under the laws and institutions of preceding generations is a form of tyranny. Of course my guess is that you'd be less than enthusiastic about this idea if successive generations overturned what you would consider to be social progress.

I adore Jefferson with every fiber of my being, but I would caution against taking too many of his..eh...quirkier theories and trying to make them into concrete and practical policy ideas. Madison tried, often in vain, to do just that.

All of that is neither here nor there. The point is that comparing our political system to others as a measuring stick for how great we are is nonsense and pointless (Compared to Sudan, WE'RE #1!!!!). The only legitimate measuring stick are the principles upon which we were founded.

Good because I need to go to sleep. :)

BTW, I like Jefferson as well. We were at his home again last spring. Amazing man.

A little off subject but Virginia is starting to produce some amazing wines. We can thank Jefferson.

olevetonahill
8/23/2012, 10:44 PM

Who in the hell said they hated this country

Personally I dont trust those in charge and About the only thing I hate about it is ll the dayum Libs

SanJoaquinSooner
8/23/2012, 10:54 PM

and was landing on the moon a gov't-inspired Hollywood fabrication?

Midtowner
8/23/2012, 10:57 PM
and was landing on the moon a gov't-inspired Hollywood fabrication?

Yeah, some go over the top.

The fact is that the erosion of our 4th and 5th Amendment rights is very real and that the militarization of our police force is a real threat to freedom.

diverdog
8/24/2012, 05:58 AM
Who in the hell said they hated this country

Personally I dont trust those in charge and About the only thing I hate about it is ll the dayum Libs

Vet:

There is so much anti- government sentiment from the posters who are on the right on this board it isn't even funny. A number of the posters are even retirees of the Federal system. The truth is there are tons of people who work for our government who do an outstanding job every day. You guys drone on about Ruby Ridge but never mention the loss of life of government workers each year at the hands of the citizenry. For every Ruby Ridge there are far more acts of humanity by government employees who go out and lay it on the line for us each day. What happened on Ruby Ridge was an abberation not the rule. When those agents woke up that morning I can guarantee they had zero plans to kill anyone.

Our political system is far from perfect but it is the best one on the planet. Ask someone from India what they like about our government and they will tell you it is the lack of corruption. For the most part our system works extremely well. We need to fix a few things to be sure but there is no other system that I would rather participate in than our own form of democracy.

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 06:08 AM
Nope, Just some of those in charge, If you dont think theres corruption in that bunch then you are dancing under rainbows my friend.

Never said they set out to Kill anyone there, But I garendayumtee they set out to teach that ****ing hillbilly redneck a thing or 2

The sad part of these problems is the Fix is much like the Fix for Gun violence. If ya dont want to put up with crooked Cops and Politicians then Take ALL power away from them
If ya dont want to put up with Gun Violence then take away all the guns

There are no easy solutions.

I think what you see as Anti-Government the rest of us see as a healthy distrust of em.

yermom
8/24/2012, 10:11 AM
Vet:

There is so much anti- government sentiment from the posters who are on the right on this board it isn't even funny. A number of the posters are even retirees of the Federal system. The truth is there are tons of people who work for our government who do an outstanding job every day. You guys drone on about Ruby Ridge but never mention the loss of life of government workers each year at the hands of the citizenry. For every Ruby Ridge there are far more acts of humanity by government employees who go out and lay it on the line for us each day. What happened on Ruby Ridge was an abberation not the rule. When those agents woke up that morning I can guarantee they had zero plans to kill anyone.

Our political system is far from perfect but it is the best one on the planet. Ask someone from India what they like about our government and they will tell you it is the lack of corruption. For the most part our system works extremely well. We need to fix a few things to be sure but there is no other system that I would rather participate in than our own form of democracy.

the "right" don't have a monopoly on the mistrust of government. Kabookie's statement is so easily true with the Patriot Act. no warrants, no trials is a scary road to go down. just hope you don't make too big of enemies somewhere.

SouthCarolinaSooner
8/24/2012, 11:48 AM

Theory is nice, practice is much better. We aren't too high in quality of life indicators, nor are we at the top in freedoms.

Lets also remember the government's cold blooded murder of American citizens during this year. Say what you will about Anwar al-Awlaki and his terrorist links, but his 16 year old son Abdulrahman al-Awlaki was murdered in a drone strike two weeks after his father, also an American citizen, was killed.

diverdog
8/24/2012, 01:24 PM
Nope, Just some of those in charge, If you dont think theres corruption in that bunch then you are dancing under rainbows my friend.

Never said they set out to Kill anyone there, But I garendayumtee they set out to teach that ****ing hillbilly redneck a thing or 2

The sad part of these problems is the Fix is much like the Fix for Gun violence. If ya dont want to put up with crooked Cops and Politicians then Take ALL power away from them
If ya dont want to put up with Gun Violence then take away all the guns

There are no easy solutions.

I think what you see as Anti-Government the rest of us see as a healthy distrust of em.

It goes beyond a healthy distrust. The are folks on the right who are talking about civil war if Obama is re- elected. I really put the blame for all this hysteria on the 24/7 news cycle and partisan talk radio. Americans are so damn lazy when it comes to politics and they are willing to buy into a lot of misinformation.

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 01:33 PM
It goes beyond a healthy distrust. The are folks on the right who are talking about civil war if Obama is re- elected. I really put the blame for all this hysteria on the 24/7 news cycle and partisan talk radio. Americans are so damn lazy when it comes to politics and they are willing to buy into a lot of misinformation.

Like Ive said and most prudent minded folk say
There are looney Tunes on both ends of the spectrum. You say there are folks from the right talking about Civil war if Obammy is reelected . Yup that crazy judge did say there might be IF Obammy brot in the UN troops. Now what are the odds of that happening ? Id say pretty much ZIP..
There are however a **** pot full of you Way left Libs that think its going to be all Peace , prosperity and sunshine . If Obammy gets reeelected .

That aint gonna happen either

marfacowboy
8/24/2012, 01:41 PM
The militarization of our police forces is a very troubling trend.

Amen to that.

diverdog
8/24/2012, 01:46 PM
Like Ive said and most prudent minded folk say
There are looney Tunes on both ends of the spectrum. You say there are folks from the right talking about Civil war if Obammy is reelected . Yup that crazy judge did say there might be IF Obammy brot in the UN troops. Now what are the odds of that happening ? Id say pretty much ZIP..
There are however a **** pot full of you Way left Libs that think its going to be all Peace , prosperity and sunshine . If Obammy gets reeelected .

That aint gonna happen either

Vet:

I am not a far left lib by any stretch and I have no illusions about either party.

marfacowboy
8/24/2012, 01:48 PM
the "right" don't have a monopoly on the mistrust of government. Kabookie's statement is so easily true with the Patriot Act. no warrants, no trials is a scary road to go down. just hope you don't make too big of enemies somewhere.

That's right. Edward Abbey, a well known author and defender of the western environment, had an immense distrust of the government. He was a former MP and NPS employee, but became increasingly anarchistic in his later years. I've been a huge fan. Own every book he's ever written. A few of his more well known quotes:

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

The purpose and function of government is not to preside over change but to prevent change. By political methods when unavoidable, by violence when convenient.

In the Soviet Union, government controls industry. In the United States, industry controls government. That is the principal structural difference between the two great oligarchies of our time.

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 02:05 PM
Vet:

I am not a far left lib by any stretch and I have no illusions about either party.

I apologize
I lumped you in with the Far Left loons When I shoulda called you a Left leaning Goof ball :pirate:

diverdog
8/24/2012, 03:07 PM
I apologize
I lumped you in with the Far Left loons When I shoulda called you a Left leaning Goof ball :pirate:

I will take that as a compliment....I think.

diverdog
8/24/2012, 03:08 PM
That's right. Edward Abbey, a well known author and defender of the western environment, had an immense distrust of the government. He was a former MP and NPS employee, but became increasingly anarchistic in his later years. I've been a huge fan. Own every book he's ever written. A few of his more well known quotes:

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

The purpose and function of government is not to preside over change but to prevent change. By political methods when unavoidable, by violence when convenient.

In the Soviet Union, government controls industry. In the United States, industry controls government. That is the principal structural difference between the two great oligarchies of our time.

I love Ed Abby. I know his friend David Foreman. Hayduke lives!

rock on sooner
8/24/2012, 04:18 PM
I apologize
Vet, I thot yew saved that fer me...:disillusionment:

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 07:08 PM
I will take that as a compliment....I think.

Vet, I thot yew saved that fer me...:disillusionment:

You two are prolly the Most intelligent lefties we have here
Kinda like a Good Poke poster and a decent , well any way kinda like a good Poke fan :pirate:

diverdog
8/24/2012, 07:30 PM
Kinda like a Good Poke poster and a decent , well any way kinda like a good Poke fan :pirate:

Now I am seriously pissed. Comparing me....an OU grad...to those toothless tobacco chewing sheep rapers to the north of Norman is well nothing short of war. You are lucky I don't fly down to Oklahoma, burn your house down, gas your bees and drink your moonshine until it is all gone. And then I will eat your dog and crap on your car hood. I am seriously thinking scortched earth policy on the olevetonthehill compound.

Seriously Vet are you going to call me an aggie? Jesus H Christ that is hitting below the belt you sum bitch. Its enough I have to put up with my buck tooth pumpkin luv'n dad but I ain't gonna tolerate it from the likes of you! What in the hell possessed you to do that? I have always been nice to you, put up with your rednecky ways, been complimentary of your learning disabilities and tried to avoid talking about your sexually transmitted diseases. Gawd I am pissed! And now you crossed the line. You just do not know when to shut up, do you?

Well pay tention.....you have been warned you bearded MF! Do it again and you may not see day light! Got it?

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 07:49 PM
Now that I have yer tention :eagerness::pirate:
Brang it if ya think ya can get up my drive and passed a few of my Trespasser busters :nightmare:

rock on sooner
8/24/2012, 08:22 PM

Well, Vet, aint never metcha personally, but, ta say ima sheephumper
er sumpin like it aint kool, so ill tell ya, ifn DD dont getcha ill slip in
all past yer trespassin busters. What he sed, ill bust all yer quipment
after he drunk all yer shine, so, there ya have it, yew wont get nowheres
back ta normal fer a looonnnngggg time! Gitcher dawgs redy, ima comin':devilish:

rock on sooner
8/24/2012, 08:24 PM
Now, scuse me, my beer's hot an empty...

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 08:30 PM
I aint skeered , the day I cant handle 2 soft lefties is the day I quit riding my Bull :pirate:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9b15BEeup1c/TxumRkg4poI/AAAAAAAAJOo/oAB-fdv6Vn0/s1600/1+cowboy-with-guts+fix.jpg

pphilfran
8/24/2012, 08:31 PM
LOL

rock on sooner
8/24/2012, 08:35 PM
I aint skeered , the day I cant handle 2 soft lefties is the day I quit riding my Bull :pirate:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9b15BEeup1c/TxumRkg4poI/AAAAAAAAJOo/oAB-fdv6Vn0/s1600/1+cowboy-with-guts+fix.jpg

Welp, the bull dont look too upset so neither do I, dint see no
beard on that young'un si I figger easy pickens...:tears_of_joy:

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 08:51 PM

Hell that was my Baby pic
Dont dress much different to day
Hat? check , Boots ? Check

Yup bout the same

Hell i went out awhile ago and worked with my Bees
Thats the way I were dressed

rock on sooner
8/24/2012, 09:10 PM
Hell that was my Baby pic
Dont dress much different to day
Hat? check , Boots ? Check

Yup bout the same

Hell i went out awhile ago and worked with my Bees
Thats the way I were dressed

"Pparently the bees werent impressed er yew wouldnt
so happy 'bout it..:bee:

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 09:11 PM
"Pparently the bees werent impressed er yew wouldnt
so happy 'bout it..:bee:

You wanta mess with a Neked Bee keeper?
Neither do they

rock on sooner
8/24/2012, 09:31 PM
You wanta mess with a Neked Bee keeper?
Neither do they

Good point....:highly_amused:

diverdog
8/24/2012, 09:55 PM

Vet years later riding his piece of steak:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo78/jenniewren49/0510_Alex_Karras_Mongo_Blazing_Sadd.jpg

diverdog
8/24/2012, 10:11 PM

I am thinking using my .308 at 200 yards with Black hills 175 grain BTHP moly using a 1.8 site elevation, standard atmospheric pressue, with what appears to be a
10 knot crosswind would knock that hat off your head with room to spare. Of course I could go out 800 yards and just add 3 clicks (1/4 moa) and really make your day.

Some of us libs know how to shoot. :)

olevetonahill
8/24/2012, 10:22 PM
Like yer gonna geta 800 yard shot at me :pirate:

Dont think you can do what the Gooks couldnt

diverdog
8/24/2012, 10:30 PM
Like yer gonna geta 800 yard shot at me :pirate:

Dont think you can do what the Gooks couldnt

Pfft that was back when you were skinny and could run. Now you would just die tired. :)

Sooner5030
8/25/2012, 11:06 AM
http://gawker.com/5937422/sheriffs-deputy-shot-decorated-navy-vet-in-her-own-backyard-because-she-startled-him?popular=true

Sheriff’s Deputy Shot Decorated Navy Vet in Her Own Backyard Because She ‘Startled’ Him
Neetzan Zimmerman

While investigating reports of a ski-masked man skulking around Spring Valley Sunday night, a San Diego County sheriff's deputy entered the backyard of a resident and shot her "point blank" after she allegedly startled him.

According to Lt. Larry Nesbit of the San Diego County Sheriff's Office, two deputies entered Jennifer Orey's backyard with their weapons drawn after deeming her open gate "suspicious." At some point they encountered the 36-year-old, and Deputy Luke Berhalter opened fire.

Orey's brother, James Morgan, told the San Diego Union-Tribune his sister stepped out of the house in her pajamas after hearing a noise she thought could be her ex-husband. She told Morgan she bumped into one of the deputies and even identified herself as the homeowner prior to the shooting.

Afterwards, Orey asked Berhalter why he shot her. "The cop said, 'Well, I'm sorry, you startled me,'" Morgan told 10News.

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore insists that Orey was shot in the arm, but her family says the bullet entered her chest and exited through her arm. She was recovering at a local hospital but has since been released.

Orey is a decorated veteran of the Navy's Air and Sea rescue team, her family said, and the first woman to earn Wings of Gold.

Berhalter is currently on administrative leave while the investigation is ongoing.

You just cant make this stuff up. I like the comments section the best. I do think it is about time for Police to use rubber bullets.