PDA

View Full Version : M. Night Shyamalan

DCSooner
7/20/2004, 08:16 AM
Don't know if you all heard about the "special" on Shyamalan, Sci-fi Sunday. It was billed as a provocative expose'. I'll admit, I was duped because I have followed his work for awhile. He is a very dark and seedy character. So about 30 minutes into the three hour special, it was evident it was propaganda for his new film "The Village". They call this "Guerilla Marketing"

Do you think this is an effective means of advertising?

discust:

OU4LIFE
7/20/2004, 08:20 AM
It was rather Blair Witch-ish wasn't it?

I still enjoyed it. I think he's very good at what he does.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/20/2004, 08:20 AM
An infomercial? I guess that's cheap programming for the Sci-Fi channel.

Fugue
7/20/2004, 08:23 AM
I tend to stay away from expose's. That word makes me feel gay. As for dark and seedy characters, I live that. :p

Seriously, I didn't watch it but I like his freaky ideas.

DCSooner
7/20/2004, 08:24 AM

I enjoyed it, but it was a bit cheesy. He is damn good at what he does. It seemed like he was friendly with fans too. I like that.

picasso
7/20/2004, 08:51 AM
I enjoy his work but his name always reminds me of the movie Animal House.

Shamma lamma ding dong!

DCSooner
7/20/2004, 08:52 AM
GATOR!!!

picasso
7/20/2004, 08:55 AM
"Dorfman, I've been giving this a lot of thought..."

DCSooner
7/20/2004, 09:12 AM
TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

Eddie Money
7/20/2004, 09:45 AM
He is a great director, I love his movies, and I would watch his films even if he did a remake of Chico and the Man starring Pauly Shore as Chico, but as far as the Sci Fi channel "expose", I knew it would be a fake, so I watched the 4400 instead.

I am going to give him credit and assume it was not his idea. I hope the ending to The Village is not the one people are saying. That would be uber-ghey.

DCSooner
7/20/2004, 11:08 AM
He is a great director, I love his movies, and I would watch his films even if he did a remake of Chico and the Man starring Pauly Shore as Chico, but as far as the Sci Fi channel "expose", I knew it would be a fake, so I watched the 4400 instead.

I am going to give him credit and assume it was not his idea. I hope the ending to The Village is not the one people are saying. That would be uber-ghey.

I haven't heard about the ending, but don't want to either!

I still have to watch the second 4400. Was it good? I Tivo'ed it.

Eddie Money
7/20/2004, 12:54 PM
I haven't heard about the ending, but don't want to either!

I still have to watch the second 4400. Was it good? I Tivo'ed it.

It was pretty good, but I don't see them figuring out what happened to them anytime soon - it looks like the series is going to focus on a few regulars, and then one or two new folks with abnormal attributes per episode.

I_SMELL_FEAR
7/20/2004, 01:39 PM

That was the first thing I thought of before it was even on, that it was a blair witch type promotion to his new movie...I watched very little of it, but it did seem like he was a super nice guy. He does some good work....

I was too busy watching the discovery channel's "Deadliest Season" about crab fishing in the Bering Sea...now that was some good stuff.

WILDCAT NATION
7/20/2004, 01:59 PM
Dude seems just as full of himself as Tarrantino, and I like their movies about the same....

Signs just sucked on so many levels....

picasso
7/20/2004, 02:06 PM
I thought Signs was great.
More power to subtle, simple movies that sometimes make you think rather than just see gore and crap blow up.

WILDCAT NATION
7/20/2004, 02:11 PM
I too like movies that aren't mind numbing, but that was so boring and non-thought provoking to me it was driving me crazy...

Maybe I just wasn't on the same wavelength or something, but that movie had me bored to death..

DCSooner
7/20/2004, 02:55 PM
I still have nightmares from when Mel was tucking his kids in bed!

WILDCAT NATION
7/20/2004, 03:08 PM
Can you refresh my memory? What was scary?

picasso
7/20/2004, 03:35 PM
I still have nightmares from when Mel was tucking his kids in bed!

hahaha!

I hear ya but I thought it was good. His movies all have the same slow, creepy tone

Sooner_Bob
7/20/2004, 05:18 PM
I too like movies that aren't mind numbing, but that was so boring and non-thought provoking to me it was driving me crazy...

Maybe I just wasn't on the same wavelength or something, but that movie had me bored to death..

I thought "Signs" succed . . . in a major way.

Very, very boring . . .

DCSooner
7/21/2004, 07:13 AM
Can you refresh my memory? What was scary?

***spoiler***

When he was tucking in his kids and he glanced out the window and one of the creatures was standing on top of the barn. Freaked me out!

Eddie Money
7/21/2004, 07:18 AM
I thought the video of the birthday party in South America was a trip, too.

DCSooner
7/21/2004, 08:09 AM
I thought the video of the birthday party in South America was a trip, too.

Oh snap! I forgot about that scene. Brrrrrrrr!

Ya, I said oh snap.

colleyvillesooner
3/2/2007, 11:43 AM
Anyone see what movie he's writing now?

That's right:

http://favoritetoons.com/wallpaper-heman_640x480-1.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340/

WTF?

Widescreen
3/2/2007, 12:08 PM
Except in this one, at the end we'll find out that Skeletor is actually a transvestite and He-Man is actually just a little dude in a muscle suit.

Rhino
3/2/2007, 12:56 PM
Two pro wrestlers already cast, huh? Looks like a crapfest.

slickdawg
3/2/2007, 12:58 PM
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

A promising Alfred Hitchcock gone terribly wrong.

3/2/2007, 01:08 PM
As long as he keeps the DING DONG in check, I'm good.