PDA

View Full Version : More Injuries....

madillsoonerfan5353
8/22/2012, 08:00 AM
I'm to lazy to post the link, mainly cause I don't remember where it was. BUT Chaz Nelson DE is out for 6 weeks following a MCL injury and PL Lindly (Jack Back) DE is out as well with a high ankle sprain. Now we are thin a DE with the move of King to DT. :beaten: :stung:

zeke
8/22/2012, 08:08 AM
great

cleller
8/22/2012, 09:01 AM
I think it is time for a DNA study of athletes that do not get injured, vs those that do. We could then mandate such DNA tests into our recruiting.

Hey, maybe that could be used also for weeding out athletes with other unreliable traits. Yes. Then we could start with parents, or just create them in a lab. Oh wow. I've got to make a call.

MamaMia
8/22/2012, 11:51 AM
Make it stop!

budbarrybob
8/22/2012, 12:07 PM
This board is resembling the nightly news. Crime weather sports. Only here its injuries, suspensions and decommitments.

mojorisen2014
8/22/2012, 01:07 PM
Blame Bob for all this. He sold his soul for the 2000 National Title. In return we get injury riddled players, dumbarses, flunkies, and players that get homesick for the next 20 years.

Soonerwake
8/22/2012, 01:27 PM
I don't see that we are thin at DE. If I remember correctly, we have 2 starters (Washington and Ndulue), a backup for both (Favors), and 2 freshmen that the coaches have raved about all fall camp (Onuoha and Tapper). King will be back outside if needed. If we are thin there, we are thin just about everywhere as the backups at alot of positions are freshmen. The reality is that with the scholarship limits that we have now, freshmen are taking a more increased role.

And, as far as all of the sky is falling stuff, this is division 1 football brother.... Relax... We are still in pretty good shape just about everywhere, including the o-line. More injuries or suspensions would hurt, but the loss of a 2nd or 3rd string DE at this point is not going to get my blood pressure up..

8timechamps
8/22/2012, 02:40 PM
The Lindly injury isn't really much. Officially a "high ankle sprain", but should be available for UTEP if needed.

I agree with Soonerwake, we aren't really thin at DE. In fact, the coaches were able to move King to DT because of the depth at DE and able to move Grissom to TE. Onaoha and Tapper were going to see playing time anyway, now they may see a bit more. By all accounts, Ndulue has looked really good in camp, so he shouldn't miss a beat when he's in.

The "big" injuries this off-season continue to be Habern and Evans. Given the depth we had at OL, we haven't dropped off much there...although it has thinned out significantly.

It's almost like it's been a contest for the media to report the next "big loss" for OU this summer. In reality, losing the two OL was the only real "loss", and the rest is covered by capable back-up players.

cvsooner
8/22/2012, 03:01 PM
And it's amazing that you can lose two linemen and suddenly your team "is very thin" depthwise. I don't quite get that. Other teams have injuries too...it's part of the game. Others have to be ready and they have to play well.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/22/2012, 03:23 PM
Maybe I should have said we are more unproven as a pass rushing aspect now with the move of King. Chaz looked good in the spring game. Maybe it's just me but I'm not real confident about the coaching staff's ability to have 2nds and 3rds ready to play at a moment’s notice. After Whaley, RB85, Ryan Reynolds (2008) when Box was hurt still, so on and so forth. To me this is starting to look like the walking Mash unit of 2009. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but just saying.

85sooners
8/22/2012, 04:39 PM
Mike will make it all better

thunderfan
8/22/2012, 04:41 PM
Mike can pitch a shutout with 4 guys playing defense.

KantoSooner
8/22/2012, 04:43 PM
I'm not going to spend time on it, so I won't ask anyone else to, either; but, if someone just 'knows', how does our injury accumulation and frequency over the past few years stack up against other top 25 or top 50 programs?

zeke
8/22/2012, 04:45 PM
I'm not going to spend time on it, so I won't ask anyone else to, either; but, if someone just 'knows', how does our injury accumulation and frequency over the past few years stack up against other top 25 or top 50 programs?

Good question

MountainOkie
8/22/2012, 05:39 PM
Blame Bob for all this. He sold his soul for the 2000 National Title. In return we get injury riddled players, dumbarses, flunkies, and players that get homesick for the next 20 years.

I think you're confusing him with Mack Brown. He challenged the devil to a clapping contest. Hear tell he won.

8timechamps
8/22/2012, 05:40 PM
Maybe I should have said we are more unproven as a pass rushing aspect now with the move of King. Chaz looked good in the spring game. Maybe it's just me but I'm not real confident about the coaching staff's ability to have 2nds and 3rds ready to play at a moment’s notice. After Whaley, RB85, Ryan Reynolds (2008) when Box was hurt still, so on and so forth. To me this is starting to look like the walking Mash unit of 2009. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but just saying.

That's a fair point. It's how I look at our offensive line this year, after the injuries, we are thin on experience (not necessarily talent). I will admit, I was a little more confident in this team before we lost Habern and Evans. And even though we have a ton of talent at WR, it's still a lot of unknown talent. I'm still feeling the anxiety of last year's secondary, and kind of look it with the "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude.

Admittedly, I'm one of the biggest sunshine pumpers on this board, but I'm still a bit worried about the O-Line. Before the injuries, I thought we were a solid top 3-5 team. After, I'm thinking top 10-12. I still think we win the conference though.

SoonerNomad
8/22/2012, 06:45 PM
The sky isn't falling! The sky isn't falling! The sky isn't falling!

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 07:03 PM
Is it seriously too much to ask that OUr guys not end up with the **** for luck these days? I know Tech had 16 injured guys last year and that jumped out at me. I also remember Texas supposedly had a lengthy list, too.

8timechamps
8/22/2012, 08:04 PM
The sky isn't falling! The sky isn't falling! The sky isn't falling!

I just have the normal "just before the season starts" nerves. They'll go away after we win the Big XII.

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 11:20 PM
Again, it's not marquee guys the staff was relying on; but it still sucks. No amount of conditioning stops flukish twists of the knee or rolls of the ankles in a pile of football players.