PDA

View Full Version : Bell named the backup......

Salt City Sooner
8/21/2012, 06:13 PM
http://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter

SoonerMarkVA
8/21/2012, 06:28 PM
Nothing showing at the link. What did you see?

SoonerinSouthlake
8/21/2012, 07:25 PM
is that a surprise?
Who else gave him competition?

How has he looked in Spring Games? Does he have game other than the whole Bell Dozer thing?

jbstrick
8/21/2012, 07:25 PM
"Blake Bell the no 2 QB per Stoops"

8timechamps
8/21/2012, 07:47 PM
is that a surprise?
Who else gave him competition?

How has he looked in Spring Games? Does he have game other than the whole Bell Dozer thing?

Drew Allen was/is his competition. Bell was supposed to be a very strong thrower coming out of high school (I say supposed to be, because I haven't watched any of his high school stuff, and we really haven't seen him throw much). I suspect he'll be our starter next year, although Kendal Thompson and Trevor Knight are going to be in the mix.

SoonerMarkVA
8/21/2012, 08:22 PM
Man, that's weird. None of that stuff was there when I looked before. I was hitting shift-reload and everything. Oh, well.

So, sounds like Stoops is saying we've pretty much seen the end of the Belldozer, at least as a regular play. Not sure how I feel about that.

SoonerOX
8/21/2012, 08:30 PM
Man, that's weird. None of that stuff was there when I looked before. I was hitting shift-reload and everything. Oh, well.

So, sounds like Stoops is saying we've pretty much seen the end of the Belldozer, at least as a regular play. Not sure how I feel about that.

I don't think this is true. Soonersports.com has a video of Bobby talking to the media, and this very thing was addressed. He confirmed wrinkles to the Belldozer package as well as a passing option. We'll see Belldozer some more.

SoonerMarkVA
8/21/2012, 08:47 PM
I don't think this is true. Soonersports.com has a video of Bobby talking to the media, and this very thing was addressed. He confirmed wrinkles to the Belldozer package as well as a passing option. We'll see Belldozer some more.

I was responding to this line:

Stoops said that if Bell had to come in for Landry Jones, the Sooners would still “sneak” some runs in there, but that OU wouldn’t be running the “Belldozer” full time.

I think you're right. I read initially thinking with Bell backing they wouldn't, but now as I re-read it, I think it means if Jones goes down and Bell is the main QB, it wouldn't be the 'Dozer very often.

Good deal. I think the 'Dozer is a nice package, particularly if Bell starts passing the ball well. Stack the line, get burned deep on a short pass; don't stack the line, give up about 10 yrds a pop. I could live with that!

8timechamps
8/21/2012, 09:02 PM

I think you're right. I read initially thinking with Bell backing they wouldn't, but now as I re-read it, I think it means if Jones goes down and Bell is the main QB, it wouldn't be the 'Dozer very often.

Good deal. I think the 'Dozer is a nice package, particularly if Bell starts passing the ball well. Stack the line, get burned deep on a short pass; don't stack the line, give up about 10 yrds a pop. I could live with that!

In his post-practice interview, he was asked about the Belldozer, and his eyes kind of lit up. He said they've added a lot of wrinkles and more passing options. He said he told Colin Klein (at media days) that he stole the play from KSU. He said "hey, I've got one of those (in reference to Klein), and he's bigger".

85sooners
8/21/2012, 09:23 PM
Goal line baby!!

goingoneight
8/21/2012, 10:20 PM
Goal line baby!!

For those worried about not using the heavy formation (because that's what it is called long before Blake Bell came around), I offer you a Stoops quote:

"I'm sure we can find someone to go 0-for-2 with an interception in the Belldozer if we want to continue to run it when Blake is actually playing quarterback."

Don't worry about the ole 'dozer. It can just as easily be the DurronNealDozer or the MillardDozer so long as the blocking scheme is the same. Bell did good running behind it last year; but let's not pretend like running backs, receivers or even another QB can't take a direct snap and run behind a lead blocker.

goingoneight
8/21/2012, 10:23 PM
:mack: i can haz 3 or forth string OU qb?

soonerboy_odanorth
8/21/2012, 11:18 PM
Call for Bell to replace Jones as starter in 3.... 2.... 1....

vtsooner21
8/22/2012, 05:07 AM
All this and in my humble opinion, Allen throws the best ball...There must have been great progress in some areas by Bell and the others. I'm hearing great things about Thompson & Knight as well...

Boomer

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2012, 06:59 AM
Bell did good running behind it last year; but let's not pretend like running backs, receivers or even another QB can't take a direct snap and run behind a lead blocker.

Actually, they apparently can't or they would have used them instead.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2012, 07:00 AM
Call for Bell to replace Jones as starter in 3.... 2.... 1....

Only after Jones has his first incomplete pass of the season!

Boomer.....
8/22/2012, 07:13 AM
All this and in my humble opinion, Allen throws the best ball...There must have been great progress in some areas by Bell and the others. I'm hearing great things about Thompson & Knight as well...

Boomer

Drew was the better passer, but Bell has been coming on strong this year. That coupled with the fact that he does see the field occasionally made the decision easier. Wonder if Drew will stick around?

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 11:43 AM
Drew Allen, Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight all should be reminded of a few things:

Jason White was Josh Heupel's backup.
Nate Hybl/JW injury situation version 1.0
Nate Hybl/JW injury situation 2.0... introducing Paul Thompson.
Paul Thompson was the #2 QB in 2003
Tommy Grady was the #2 QB in 2004.
Bomar/Thompson 2005.
Bomar 2006
Joey Halzle was PT's backup in 2006... skinny, unheard of OKC freshman Sam Bradford would win the Heisman two years later.
Landry Jones... the "long-term" projected backup for Sam... in just before halftime of the first game as a freshman.

If anything is certain in Norman, it is that backup QB will always be an uncertainty.

SoonerMarkVA
8/22/2012, 11:50 AM
I have to think Allen must be mulling over his possibilities. Thompson and especially Knight are way too early in the process to be worried about the situation.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/22/2012, 01:57 PM
I have to think Allen must be mulling over his possibilities. Thompson and especially Knight are way too early in the process to be worried about the situation.

What possibilites would those be? He's a Junior that has already burned his redshirt. I'm not sure when the deadline would be for him to transfer and sit out this year, but in best case scenario he will only have 1 full year of eligibility. Considering the season starts next week, I'm guessing it is probably too late to transfer and sit out this season...

badger
8/22/2012, 02:07 PM
Drew Allen is from my dear husband's high school and I've been dying for him to get his chance that we've seen backups inevitably get at some point in their OU careers provided that they don't transfer first.

And now... I dunno. The only chance he may get is if Blake and Landry both get injured or Rhett-booted for the team, and I don't want that to happen!

I... hope he got a good education?

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 02:11 PM
Drew is literally in Paul Thompson's shoes circa 2004. Eligibility to play with everybody's favorite to start ahead of him when the senior graduates. It'd be selfish of us as fans to hope he stays just so we can have an emergency backup. However, he could end up doing about the same elsewhere. See: Grady transfers to Utah; backs up Brian Johnson.

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 02:13 PM
This all having been said, Bell and Jones must be damn good for Stoops to name a backup. He literally doesn't have to for another year.

SoonerMarkVA
8/22/2012, 02:22 PM
What possibilites would those be? He's a Junior that has already burned his redshirt. I'm not sure when the deadline would be for him to transfer and sit out this year, but in best case scenario he will only have 1 full year of eligibility. Considering the season starts next week, I'm guessing it is probably too late to transfer and sit out this season...

He would transfer down so he doesn't have to sit out a year and so he would have an excellent chance of starting right away. At least that's where I'd be looking if I wanted to get playing time. I'm not saying he'll do it, or that he should be desperate. I just assume he's thinking about the real possibility that he never gets meaningful minutes at OU, short of injuries.

8timechamps
8/22/2012, 02:23 PM
The QB spot (and management of it) has to be one of the hardest parts of being a college coach. You have to recruit kids that are elite enough to possibly start at OU, but if/when they don't, you have to be able to manage the situation and keep them happy in the back up (or 3rd string) role. It's so rare for a college QB situation to be like it has been at OU with Landry, most places are fortunate to have a good QB start for 2 years. I don't envy the coaching staff in this situation.

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2012, 02:27 PM
This all having been said, Bell and Jones must be damn good for Stoops to name a backup. He literally doesn't have to for another year.

That's what I was thinking. Stoops didn't feel the need to name a backup QB last year, so I was a bit surprised he did this year.

swardboy
8/22/2012, 03:49 PM
A little off topic but I remember how well Halzle performed when Sam got lit up at TTech....he really kept us in the game and we should have won it. But he was as ready as a backup could be I think, given how ridiculously little game prep Stoops gave backup QB's back then.

badger
8/22/2012, 04:36 PM
A little off topic but I remember how well Halzle performed when Sam got lit up at TTech....he really kept us in the game and we should have won it. But he was as ready as a backup could be I think, given how ridiculously little game prep Stoops gave backup QB's back then.

He's a GA now, right? Perhaps that can keep Drew motivated. Coaching is becoming a more lucrative position than being a player and the job is a lot more long term.

8timechamps
8/22/2012, 05:43 PM

I'll never forget the look on Sam's face when he went to the sideline. I'm certain that he had no idea he was at a football game.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_72Fq2ASEDsQ/S9dPh4l31-I/AAAAAAAAPkY/xvK2N0UT12s/s400/bradford.jpg

Sooner-N-KS
8/22/2012, 07:09 PM
I keep wondering where people get the idea that Allen is a better passer than Bell. Based on what?

After watching the spring game it appeared to me that Allen was the 4th best QB behind KT.

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 07:22 PM
Allen was on par with Landry in most other practices before if that's what you're wondering. The Spring game was just a pleasant surprise for those who thought Blake was the next Tim Tebow (all about power QB running and a so-so passer).

His career is not over... it's nothing more than a name on paper right now. Actually, when you think about it, if the worst were to happen, he's right back there battling Bell for the #1 reps.

As I said earlier, Bell and Jones must be looking amazing for Stoops to designate a backup guy because he normally does NOT do that unless there's literally no other guy (see: 2006 and 2009).

Sooner-N-KS
8/22/2012, 07:30 PM
I've never heard anything close to Allen being on par with Landry, and I wasn't surprised to see Bell could pass in the spring game. Heupel has often said he's a good passer.

Salt City Sooner
8/22/2012, 08:27 PM
That's what I was thinking. Stoops didn't feel the need to name a backup QB last year, so I was a bit surprised he did this year.

I never heard him use the word backup, per se, but I do remember Stoops saying 4-5 times last year that if LJ got hurt, it would be Drew who would replace him.

JLEW1818
8/22/2012, 08:31 PM
Drew Allen, Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight all should be reminded of a few things:

Jason White was Josh Heupel's backup.
Nate Hybl/JW injury situation version 1.0
Nate Hybl/JW injury situation 2.0... introducing Paul Thompson.
Paul Thompson was the #2 QB in 2003
Tommy Grady was the #2 QB in 2004.
Bomar/Thompson 2005.
Bomar 2006
Joey Halzle was PT's backup in 2006... skinny, unheard of OKC freshman Sam Bradford would win the Heisman two years later.
Landry Jones... the "long-term" projected backup for Sam... in just before halftime of the first game as a freshman.

If anything is certain in Norman, it is that backup QB will always be an uncertainty.

Nicely put sir.

dennis580
8/22/2012, 11:13 PM

I dont believe Stoops at all. I think we would see the BellDozer a lot more often if he was the starter just because Bell would be on the field far more often, and it has been so successful that Huepel would feel he has to go to it when we need a first down.

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 11:16 PM
I like that theory, Dennis... however, Colt McCoy's shoulder, Zac Robinson's concussion, Jason White's knees and Dennis Dixon's ACL are all alarming examples of the running QB's gamble to the team. I'd love to see a guy one day as effective running and throwing as Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, etc. at OU. However, it's easy to see how most coaches cringe at the thought of it.

BigTip
8/23/2012, 09:17 AM
For those worried about not using the heavy formation (because that's what it is called long before Blake Bell came around), I offer you a Stoops quote:

"I'm sure we can find someone to go 0-for-2 with an interception in the Belldozer if we want to continue to run it when Blake is actually playing quarterback."

Don't worry about the ole 'dozer. It can just as easily be the DurronNealDozer or the MillardDozer so long as the blocking scheme is the same. Bell did good running behind it last year; but let's not pretend like running backs, receivers or even another QB can't take a direct snap and run behind a lead blocker.

But come on, it helps a lot being 6'6", 250. That adds a lot to the package.

AZSOONER
8/23/2012, 11:18 AM
I'm not jumping on the "get rid of Landry" wagon, but I do hope Bell gets quite a bit of playing time this year. There should be a hand full of games that Landry can lead a drive to start the 3rd quarter and Bell can come in to finish the game. Hell, even let Drew finish the game with a series or 2.