PDA

View Full Version : Previewing UTEP

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2012, 02:06 PM
Since there isn't one NFL prospect on the team, I'll just do a team preview.

Quarterback- UTEP has smallish quarterbacks, but the starter is 6'1 210 lb Nick Lamaison..Started a handful of games last year and threw 12 TDs and 10 Ints. The backup, 5'11 200lb Carson Meger will probably see time also. Neither is much of a threat to do anything.

Runningback-UTEP lost their 3 top rushers from a year ago and the top returning back Nathan Jeffery had all of 26 touches last year..The new guys have put up big numbers in scrimmages, but mostly because of how bad the Miner defense is. I do expect them to run the ball a lot though and use Jefferey along with Josh Bell.

Receiver-Michael Edwards(5'11,200) is a nice player returning for them..Caught 50 passes last season. I think the player to look out for in their offense maybe sophmore Jordan Leslie(6'2, 210) who does have the ability to use his body size for big plays..I just don't think they will be able to get the ball to him much.

TEs-They do have great size at TE and some solid hands from basketball player Kevin Perry(6'5 255) and the other 2 are 6'6ish and 260..Mostly in for run blocking but Perry has decent athletic ability to get down field.

Oline-The good news for UTEP is that they got most of last year's group back..The bad news is they were about 110th in pass protection(Gave up close to 3 sacks per game)..The center is a Rimington finalist and a potential all conference player for them..Solid, not spectacular. The guards are both extremely undersized(280 a piece). The right tackle, James Nelson, is a beast at 6'7 350. I know whoever is lined up against him should have a step as is slow getting out of his stance and an outside shoulder DE should be able to get to the quarterback..Next post will be defense.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2012, 02:20 PM
Defense

Dline-UTEP was 104th in total D last year for good reason. It all started up front..German Reed(6'1,280) is a nice player who if can stay healthy all year do some things, but that's about it. Horace Miller(6'1 240) led the team in sacks last year from his DE spot, but I wouldn't call a good pass rusher..This is a great opener for the OU Oline..No bigtime playmakers but a couple of guys that you have to pay attention to.

Linebacker-All 3 starters from last season are gone. They replace them with some small guys that they hope can get out and cover..But are weaknesses in the run game. Josh Fely(5'11,225) is the only guy they have back that has shown to be able to make consistent plays but still is undersized.

DBs- 2 out of 4 starters gone..FS DeShaun Grayson is their top playmaker back and he isn't a bad player. Good in run support, OK in pass coverage..

The passing game is going to be there all day, but I think this defense would be a really good one to work out the running game. They are small players on the field to neutralize the speed of the offense some and I'm sure in conference USA, this team will end up with 3-4 wins...

Look for turnovers in this one..If Stoops brings his typical heat, the ball is going to be on the ground and look for tipped balls to get picked off coming out of the smaller quarterback's hands...

KantoSooner
8/21/2012, 02:28 PM
Thank you, sir for doing what no commercial journo would do and break this team down. That, plus the fact that you know what you're talking about made this a worthwhile read.

Mark_in_Tulsa
8/21/2012, 02:36 PM
So you're saying we have a chance?

85sooners
8/21/2012, 03:00 PM
Let's pound these fools!!

SoonerInLubbock
8/21/2012, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE= The guards are both extremely undersized(280 a piece).[/QUOTE]

Remember waaayyy back when that was a solid size for OL? Times they have changed.

goingoneight
8/21/2012, 06:07 PM
Remember waaayyy back when that was a solid size for OL? Times they have changed.

Pssst... the good ole days crowd can hear you with that kinda talk. :D

Lamaison has dealt with some injuries, too. I know that from hearing the TU guys talk about him.