PDA

View Full Version : Texas to use Case McCoy, David Ash...it takes 2 baby...here we go again..

sendbaht
8/21/2012, 02:00 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8287395/texas-longhorns-roll-case-mccoy-david-ash-opener

I like them using 2 maybe 3 would help next...

AUSTIN, Texas -- The decision on which Texas quarterback walks out for the first snap against Wyoming has not been made.

What has been made is the decision that both Case McCoy and David Ash will get snaps against the Cowboys in the opener on Sept. 1.

"We want both guys to play," co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin said.

More from HornsNation

Everything Texas, from recruiting to news to game coverage, is available at ESPN.com's HornsNation.
More:
• ESPN.com Recruiting coverage
• ESPN.com's Big 12 blog
• ESPN Dallas' college blog

"Right now obviously one guy is going to have to roll out there at the beginning. You have to do that," Harsin said. "But if they continue progressing like they have been through these next few practices before we play, you can expect both guys out there."

What to expect when either Ash or McCoy do roll out there is another issue altogether. Both played extensively in 2011 with mixed results.

Since that time, Texas' coaches have attempted to separate the two. But, at least for now, the coaching staff has come to grips with the fact that the Longhorns might be better off with two quarterbacks.

"There are strength and weakness with both guys," Harsin said. "And what we found out is each guy, you put them in different scenarios and they go and they operate. They both operated well in different situations.

"So we're looking at different schemes and things like that that both quarterbacks can be successful."

But success and playing time might be measured slightly differently. Texas is not looking for someone to control a game; instead, they want a quarterback who can manage it -- make the proper check, hand the ball to the back, complete the bubble screen and maybe occasionally take a safe shot down the field.

As far as playing time goes, Harsin is not going to rotate quarterbacks with drives.

"It's not a 50-50, 60-40, it's not a back and forth," the second-year offensive coordinator said. "You're going to have your quarterback out there and he is going to play and you're going to have an opportunity, if things are right or the situation comes up, that your second quarterback is going to go in, going to have a chance to go play as well.

"I think it's ideal to have both guys playing at a high level."

Harsin has also seen better play on the field and better understanding of the offense in the film room.

"Both guys in just their overall understanding have really improved," Harsin said. "You take them to the classroom and you start popping on the tape and you start listening to those guys just spitting it out. Just listening to them regurgitate the offense is encouraging."

Encouraging enough that, for now, Harsin feels he has two quarterbacks from which he can choose or not.

SoonerBread
8/21/2012, 04:13 AM
:applouse:

olevetonahill
8/21/2012, 04:31 AM
I can taste it now

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/10/23/b72f4f31-eed8-41ae-9e52-8817c2bbf478.jpg

StoopTroup
8/21/2012, 05:17 AM
We used two last year.

NTTAWWT

Just sayin....

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5007888/136280054_extra_large.jpg

SoonerMarkVA
8/21/2012, 07:26 AM
Mack's a bit slow on the uptake. Maybe after a few more dual-QB failures, he'll put the pieces together.

sendbaht
8/21/2012, 07:55 AM
Ya know StoopTroup you have a point...just ours worked so well....Sure did enjoy it too...

King Crimson
8/21/2012, 08:10 AM
until we win i ain't talking shizz, but the two headed monster of mccoy and ash....i dunno.

GameWarden
8/21/2012, 08:11 AM
Sounds like politics to me. Case is terrible. I don't think that kid would start for any major program.

Sooner11JK
8/21/2012, 08:22 AM
You know what they say...... "If you have 2 QBs, you don't have a QB"

85sooners
8/21/2012, 08:41 AM
Phuck texas

SoonerinSouthlake
8/21/2012, 08:44 AM
Thank you God......for Mack Brown

badger
8/21/2012, 09:19 AM
Mack Brown would find a cure for cancer before he found a single starting quarterback between those two.

Just admit your mistake, mulligan, and start whatever 5-star quarterback you recruited since the Gilbert experiment ended in 5-7 (and a nat'l title loss)

XingTheRubicon
8/21/2012, 09:33 AM
Have they got the urine stains out of their pants from last years' RRS? That was some spectacular panicking.

StoopTroup
8/21/2012, 09:35 AM
Thank you God......for Mack Brown

No matter how many QBs Mack uses....I have always felt he was a gift...just like you do.

Mack is an amazing pile of #2....

badger
8/21/2012, 10:47 AM
Mack Brown seems to have his heart in the right place. He seems like a nice guy and other coaches seem to respect him and he seems to want to do right for the players (good education and such).

Where he falls short lately is in the effort category, it seems. Before the 5-7 season, after the Colt/Gilbert thing in the title game, Mack seemed to be a heading-for-retirement mode, where he thought he could just put the program on autopilot, the 5-stars would keep signing, the teams would keep winning and he could kick back and rub elbows with the rich whorn alums and fanbase. Whoops.

Has he recovered from 5-7? I don't think he's at a stage in his career where he can. A younger guy might be able to stay up 24 hours for several days on Red Bulls and Rockstar Energy drinks to text recruits, call high school coaches, review film and devise master gameplans while avoiding family/personal time and sleep as much as possible... but Mack is not willing or able to do that.

He might be able to find an assistant willing/able to do that, but would Mack cede power to said young ambitious crazy guy? Probably not.

Widescreen
8/21/2012, 11:15 AM
He might be able to find an assistant willing/able to do that, but would Mack cede power to said young ambitious crazy guy? Probably not.
He actually had that for awhile but that guy is now coaching Florida.

badger
8/21/2012, 11:17 AM

I agree... but based on how his first season went at Florida, not sure whorn would have fared really well under Coach Boom.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/21/2012, 11:19 AM

Yep, that's the worst mistake that the Whorns made. Should have force Mack out and moved Muschump up! I'm glad they didn't.

Soonerjeepman
8/21/2012, 12:17 PM
We used two last year.

NTTAWWT

Just sayin....

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5007888/136280054_extra_large.jpg

my thought...
I don't know the ut qb's that well...except for what I saw when OU played them...I didn't see a big diff, like one is a pure runner the other a passer...so not sure why 2 would be better...but whatever..

8timechamps
8/21/2012, 12:55 PM
"When you have two quarterbacks, you have none."

Don't mistake our use of Bell in short yardage as being anywhere near the same as Mack's two headed monster. Big difference.

MountainOkie
8/21/2012, 05:17 PM
The only way this would work is if one of the QBs were named Gardere.

Kid ruined many a trip to Dallas for me.

CowboyMRW
8/21/2012, 05:33 PM
Mack is obviously loyal to a fault with the McCoy family. There is no way Case is a legitimate QB on any major D1 team.

I think Ash has potential but they are majorly stunting his growth by letting Case hang around as 1b.

MountainOkie
8/21/2012, 05:39 PM
Mack is obviously loyal to a fault with the McCoy family. There is no way Case is a legitimate QB on any major D1 team.

I think Ash has potential but they are majorly stunting his growth by letting Case hang around as 1b.

Saw it on ESPN: Mccoy had better TD:INT ratio, QB Rating, YDs per attempt, and completion percentage than Ash last year.

goingoneight
8/21/2012, 06:03 PM
It's worked for Les Miles for quite some time now. Really, the two guys who played last year could manage two or three more wins by way of cutting down on the rookie mistakes. You don't have to light up the scoreboard to win games. Look at Collin Klein. Cutting down on the turnovers will be a big help for them. I'd appreciate if they didn't, though. :D

Jacie
8/21/2012, 06:56 PM
Harsin has also seen better play on the field and better understanding of the offense in the film room.

He probably doesn't spend a lot of time studying the 2011 RRS . . .

8timechamps
8/21/2012, 07:51 PM
It's worked for Les Miles for quite some time now. Really, the two guys who played last year could manage two or three more wins by way of cutting down on the rookie mistakes. You don't have to light up the scoreboard to win games. Look at Collin Klein. Cutting down on the turnovers will be a big help for them. I'd appreciate if they didn't, though. :D

I think it cost Les a title last year. Also, in the Big XII, I think you have to put points up. Texas is supposed to have a "great" defense this year, so we'll see how that works out.

Agreed. Neither of those guys is going to end up as much. Has there ever been a situation when playing two QBs really worked out? USC had Leinart and Sanchez on the same roster, and still only played one guy.

OU_Sooners75
8/21/2012, 09:33 PM

He probably doesn't spend a lot of time studying the 2011 RRS . . .

I bet he has studied it more than you think. Even if it makes him sick to his stomach.

The best way to teach and learn is to watch what went wrong. And everything went wrong against OU.

Let's hope it happens again in 2012.

BigJerm7
8/23/2012, 12:49 PM
That didn't last long. Today Ash was announced the starter.

picasso
8/23/2012, 10:36 PM
The only way this would work is if one of the QBs were named Gardere.

Kid ruined many a trip to Dallas for me.
I heard that!