PDA

View Full Version : WAC to drop football after this year

Salt City Sooner
8/20/2012, 04:30 PM
Not terribly surprising, but a little disappointing anyway. Those late night Hawaii-type shootout games were fun to watch.

The Western Athletic Conference is forging ahead in its battle for survival with the realization that it will not be a football conference after a final season of play this year.

Commissioner Jeff Hurd said Monday morning that the emphasis now has turned to finding the number of conference institutions to retain NCAA Division I recognition as a non-football league. The University of Denver joins the WAC for the upcoming seasons as a non-football member.

"I think that sometime in late July it became apparent that it was unlikely we could continue with football," Hurd said. "We looked at every option we could think of. With the geography we have in terms of schools, it presents a challenge."

Hurd noted that challenges remain for the WAC to continue as a non-football conference. It has to add two to three new members for the 2013-14 school year in order to have the necessary seven for NCAA recognition.

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/pm_110155/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=UyfY3fzJ

badger
8/20/2012, 04:49 PM
Super conferences = death of conference. Remember, the WAC was the first to go to 16!

85sooners
8/20/2012, 07:24 PM
Wacky

Scott D
8/21/2012, 11:35 AM
One down, about 15 more to go.

SoonerNomad
8/21/2012, 01:43 PM
This is a sad one for me. I went to law school at the University of Wyoming in the late 80's, worked for the local newspaper in Laramie and covered some great WAC games. I know this isn't the same WAC that it was then and those schools are trudging on in different conferences, but when I hear WAC I think of BYU winning incredible Holiday Bowls (remember Jim McMahon), I think of Dee Dowis running the wishbone with aplomb at the Air Force, I think of shootout after shootout with balls flying around and no one ever thinking they were out of the game.

In 1990 I saw Wyoming beat San Diego State 52-51 in a game that every element of WAC football as it was played back then. Small crowd, balls in the air, no defense and last second excitement. The games weren't like that every week but they always seemed to be fun.

Maybe this announcement is just the culmination of years of erosion that began with the ill-advised expansion to 16 teams, the defection of the MWC eight, and the inclusion of teams that weren't west of anything in recent years. Whatever it is, it's a sad day if you remember the old WAC.

yermom
8/21/2012, 02:01 PM
so teams will be independent or join the MWC, Conf-USA or Sun Belt?

badger
8/21/2012, 02:42 PM
Tulsa joined C-USA after that massive basketball exodus to the Big East (Marquette et al). I could see other schools joining C-USA, MWC, etc.

Hell, if the Big East takes Boise, it'll probably take anyone.

mainline13
8/21/2012, 08:48 PM
This is a sad one for me. I went to law school at the University of Wyoming in the late 80's, etc.

Oh, that's right, Wyoming is in the WAC.

Who will the whorns schedule OOC?

Salt City Sooner
8/21/2012, 08:58 PM
Wyoming's been in the MWC for a while now. The WAC is currently Idaho, New Mexico St. (both of whom are going indy after this year) Texas State, UTSA, Hawaii, San Jose St., & Utah St.

oklaclarinet
8/21/2012, 11:01 PM
Wyoming's been in the MWC for a while now. The WAC is currently Idaho, New Mexico St. (both of whom are going indy after this year) Texas State, UTSA, Hawaii, San Jose St., & Utah St.

Actually, Hawai'i already joined the Mountain West in football this year. The current WAC is Idaho and New Mexico St. (both going indy), Utah State and San Jose State (both going MWC), UTSA and LaTech (both going C-USA), and Texas State (going Sun Belt), with non-football members UT-Arlington (also going Sun Belt), Denver, and Seattle.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/21/2012, 11:19 PM
:confused: Thought that happened years ago...:confused:

PLaw
8/22/2012, 10:00 AM
This is a sad one for me. I went to law school at the University of Wyoming in the late 80's, worked for the local newspaper in Laramie and covered some great WAC games. I know this isn't the same WAC that it was then and those schools are trudging on in different conferences, but when I hear WAC I think of BYU winning incredible Holiday Bowls (remember Jim McMahon), I think of Dee Dowis running the wishbone with aplomb at the Air Force, I think of shootout after shootout with balls flying around and no one ever thinking they were out of the game.

In 1990 I saw Wyoming beat San Diego State 52-51 in a game that every element of WAC football as it was played back then. Small crowd, balls in the air, no defense and last second excitement. The games weren't like that every week but they always seemed to be fun.

Maybe this announcement is just the culmination of years of erosion that began with the ill-advised expansion to 16 teams, the defection of the MWC eight, and the inclusion of teams that weren't west of anything in recent years. Whatever it is, it's a sad day if you remember the old WAC.

Ditto. The WAC had a good football legacy and was generally entertaining.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Big East to eventually go the same way.

BOOMER

goingoneight
8/22/2012, 11:48 AM
Let's go with Sports Animal logic: drop another traditional powerhouse program and pick up Hawaii, UTEP and all the other mid-majors to make the BIG 12 "stronger!"