PDA

View Full Version : David King sheds a little light on the defensive woes last year.

Landthief 1972
8/20/2012, 10:34 AM
“Go to your classes, go to your workouts, go to your meals, just do the little things. Because if you miss too many little things, they add up to a big thing and it takes away from the team. That's what happened to us last year with a bunch of guys missing classes and getting suspended from practice and whatnot. We just, we weren't ready and it showed when we got exposed by Tech, Baylor and OSU. We just got to come out this year and do the things we didn't do last year.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-bob-stoops-planning-redshirt-talks-monday/article/3702286#ixzz246IoiJid

Nothing really earth-shattering, but it kinda confirms what most of us thought - some selfish kids who weren't living up to their obligations as student athletes. Hopefully the Stoops boys have dealt with that, but the McGee incident makes you wonder.

GameWarden
8/20/2012, 10:50 AM
Nothing really earth-shattering, but it kinda confirms what most of us thought - some selfish kids who weren't living up to their obligations as student athletes. Hopefully the Stoops boys have dealt with that, but the McGee incident makes you wonder.

The McGee incident would seem to indicate that they are still dealing with it. It may be totally unrelated tho???

Venables was the only one that left the team on the defensive side of the ball last year, wasn't he??

Landthief 1972
8/20/2012, 10:57 AM
The McGee incident would seem to indicate that they are still dealing with it. It may be totally unrelated tho???

Venables was the only one that left the team on the defensive side of the ball last year, wasn't he??

Willie Martinez "resigned."

If you're including players, Travis Lewis is gone, and the rumblings were that he was one of the ones instilling a bad attitude...IIRC, he tweeted something about his teammates that raised a lot of eyebrows. Maybe it was him insinuating the other guys didn't give 100% on the field?

picasso
8/20/2012, 01:42 PM
Well, according to some film studying nerds on here, Travis Lewis was the one taking plays off himself.

EatLeadCommie
8/20/2012, 04:16 PM
Well, according to some film studying nerds on here, Travis Lewis was the one taking plays off himself.

I didn't get the impression they were film studying nerds, but more like people who knew people on the team. Of course, you always take those kinds of rumors with a grain of salt, but it seemed like they had more legs than your average rumor.

85sooners
8/20/2012, 07:28 PM
I don't like rumors

marfacowboy
8/20/2012, 07:55 PM
The uncomfortable truth about being an elite in the college football world is the fact that you have a lot of exceptional athletes that are not capable of handling the academic load without a ton of help. Some just aren't mature enough to do what's expected. A large number of them are having their hands held the whole time they're at OU, USC, Bama, etc. It's overwhelming for some. Sometimes you get too many that can't handle it. You'll always have a few.

SouthFortySooner
8/20/2012, 11:42 PM
The uncomfortable truth about being an elite in the college football world is the fact that you have a lot of exceptional athletes that are not capable of handling the academic load without a ton of help. Some just aren't mature enough to do what's expected. A large number of them are having their hands held the whole time they're at OU, USC, Bama, etc. It's overwhelming for some. Sometimes you get too many that can't handle it. You'll always have a few.

Then your in English Comp and a very well spoken young man carries the class discussions. J.C. Watts!

Seamus
8/21/2012, 03:16 AM
I don't like rumors

I don't like Mondays.

Tell me why.