View Full Version : The Man Who Voted Oklahoma #1

marfacowboy
8/19/2012, 05:10 PM
Follow up story on our biggest supporter in the AP poll:

Sunday, August 19, 2012
Q&A: Meet the man who voted OU No. 1
By Jake Trotter
ESPN.COM

In all the land, there’s only one person who voted Oklahoma No. 1 in his/her Associated Press preseason Top 25 ballot. That man is Kyle Meinke of AnnArborNews.com.

SoonerNation asked Meinke why he believes the Sooners are the No. 1 team in college football, and who else he considered for the top spot:

SoonerNation: What about Oklahoma makes them your No. 1?

Kyle Meinke: I should preface all of this by saying I abhor drafting preseason polls. I understand why they exist, and the talking points they create, and I'll read every one of them with interest. But when it comes down to doing my own, I know about as much about these teams as the next guy. No games have been played. We're all going off paper -- returning starters, stars, coaching, schedules, etc. -- and football, obviously, is not played on paper.

Landry Jones threw for 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions last season.
Having said that, on paper, I love Oklahoma. For me, it starts with returning starters and the Sooners have 15 or so of them. In the past three years, almost two-thirds of teams with that many guys back won more games the following year.

And it's not just how many, but who. I love Landry Jones at quarterback. He's struggled down the stretch in the past, but the dude's a fourth-year starter in a winnable Big 12. I like that a lot.

I also like how, outside of offensive line, Oklahoma doesn't have a ton of question marks right now. It's a well-balanced team, which is important when you're talking about giving out that No. 1 spot. Imbalanced teams -- no matter how good the strength may be -- typically don't run the table.

Finally, I love how the schedule shakes out for Oklahoma. Kansas State is home, Notre Dame is home, Baylor is home. Among its first nine games, the most difficult might be playing Texas in Dallas, and OU will be favored in that one as well. It's easy to see the Sooners going 9-0 before that season-ending stretch against West Virginia, Oklahoma State and TCU. And by then, I think any issues they have up front offensively will have been addressed.

SN: Was there anyone else you considered for No. 1? Why ultimately OU and not them?

KM: USC was my No. 2 team, and I did give serious consideration to naming them No. 1. In the end, I went with Oklahoma for the reasons I already gave. As for USC, I think it'll be tremendous (I have 'em No. 2, after all), but I think its schedule is slightly tougher, with an early trip to Stanford, as well as a top-five team in Oregon later in the year. Also, I'd take Bob Stoops over Lane Kiffin any day. Stoops has experience with top-five teams, with national-championship runs, etc. And Kiffin does not.

SN: What factors did you look at when putting your ballot together?

KM: I always start with evaluating current talent, which means my poll is not necessarily a projection of where a team will finish. I'm looking at returning starters, offensive and defensive balance, coaching, etc.

But for a preseason poll, when you're really splitting hairs between excellent teams such as Oklahoma or USC or Alabama or whomever, I do project a little bit as a tie breaker. For example, I like Oklahoma's schedule and think it has the clearest path to 9-0 of any team in my top five. I also think it is the best team in a very winnable Big 12.

SoonerMarkVA
8/19/2012, 05:22 PM
I like the guy already.

BigTip
8/19/2012, 05:28 PM
Order a subscription:

http://www.annarbor.com/newspaper/

:excitement:

I might be prejudice, (pause for effect) but the man makes sense.

Our dumb-*** voter dude here in Austin put the Sooners at #12 I think.

SoonerorLater
8/19/2012, 05:31 PM
Surprise, surprise, look who gave OU the lowest ranking. Why it's none other than the Austin Statesman's Kirk Bohls.

http://www.pollspeak.com/component/option,com_psreport/Itemid,3/lang,en/p,46/r,V/s,21/t1,75/t2,/v,39/w,1/

PLaw
8/19/2012, 05:54 PM
Surprise, surprise, look who gave OU the lowest ranking. Why it's none other than the Austin Statesman's Kirk Bohls.

http://www.pollspeak.com/component/option,com_psreport/Itemid,3/lang,en/p,46/r,V/s,21/t1,75/t2,/v,39/w,1/

I hope we hang 50 on UT and they don't cross the 50 yard line all day. That will give Mr. Kirk something to write about.

Boomer

marfacowboy
8/19/2012, 06:12 PM
I hope we hang 50 on UT and they don't cross the 50 yard line all day. That will give Mr. Kirk something to write about.

Boomer

Me too, but he's pretty much hated in Austin, as well.

BigTip
8/19/2012, 06:12 PM

10th. What a d-bag.

SoonerorLater
8/19/2012, 06:18 PM

Boomer

SOONER!!

dennis580
8/19/2012, 09:03 PM
I NEVER like it when a guy factors in schedules as part of there pre season ranking. Teams should rank solely on how good they are on paper. Not on how likely they are to get through there schedule. Its nice to see OU get a 1st place vote, but I hate seeing schedule factor in it to it. Schedules should only factor in for games that have already been played, and should never factor in in the pre season.

85sooners
8/19/2012, 10:25 PM
Kirk is a pu$$y

olevetonahill
8/19/2012, 10:34 PM
Who really GAS what the AP Pole says or does?

They only important in their own minds

MamaMia
8/19/2012, 10:51 PM
There was bound to be at least one person who thinks OU looks good on paper, but just like him, I don't put a lot of weight into pre-season guesswork. Nothing some sports personality has to say makes any difference when it comes to what happens on the field.

dennis580
8/19/2012, 11:33 PM
Who really GAS what the AP Pole says or does?

They only important in their own minds

They are still a legit National Championship. If OU was to NOT get in the BCS national Championship game, and we finished #1 in the AP that would still count as a National Championship. We would then have split National Championships like we did with LSU, and USC.

Only when the 4 team playoff goes into effect will the AP be irrelevent. Then all polls will be irrelevent, and the National Championship will finally be settled on the field.

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2012, 12:24 AM
They are still a legit National Championship. If OU was to NOT get in the BCS national Championship game, and we finished #1 in the AP that would still count as a National Championship. We would then have split National Championships like we did with LSU, and USC.

Only when the 4 team playoff goes into effect will the AP be irrelevent. Then all polls will be irrelevent, and the National Championship will finally be settled on the field.

I disagree. Nobody cared about the USC AP title after the '03 season - very different than the NU/UMich split poll before the BCS. The AP is irrelevant now to most fans. One thing I do like about the AP poll is the transparency of the votes and I wish the coaches poll required that as well. I can imagine the outcry if this new council or whatever they are calling it that decides the 4 teams in the new BCS format is not transparent.

WA. Sooner
8/20/2012, 12:43 AM
Ap doesn't count. All teams signed on to the BCS so that is the only one to count. If we did split and only got the AP I would not want it posted. Other schools can post their Seattle times ranking if they want, but we should only post the one that were agreed to. IE AP before the BCS. The BCS after it was agreed

cleller
8/20/2012, 07:39 AM
If you ask Alabama, in poll written or printed in ink counts.

sussudio
8/20/2012, 08:31 AM
Kirk is a meat gazer anyways move a long nothing to see here