PDA

View Full Version : And we thought our WR issues were bad.....

Ruf/Nek7
8/19/2012, 01:00 PM
This is probably the weakest position texass has and now one of their top guys is quitting.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8280344/texas-longhorns-receiver-desean-hales-quits-promising-spring

85sooners
8/19/2012, 01:02 PM
Quitters suck

Soonerwake
8/19/2012, 01:50 PM
The best part was the spin about 3 freshman coming in and "bolstering" what was once a "weak spot" for the horns... By that logic, I guess WR is now a strong spot for us with the arrival of 3 freshmen and a couple of transfers... Heck, we now have the best WR corps in the country.

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2012, 02:29 PM
The way I read that is the guy was dropping down the depth chart and was unlikely to get any PT his final season, so he gave it up. If true, probably a good decision on his part.

8timechamps
8/19/2012, 03:42 PM
It seems like Mack had been impressed with his performance in the summer and camp. He said something along the lines of "...now, he just has to make those plays in games". Seems really weird that a guy would go through 4 years of camps, practices, etc. and then quit right after camp is over. Then he says he's going to help the team in other ways. Wonder what the rest of the story is.

Breadburner
8/19/2012, 04:55 PM
Has Texas scrimmaged Texas State yet....????

LA.SoonerFan
8/19/2012, 06:08 PM
Who thought we had WR issues?

MamaMia
8/19/2012, 06:15 PM
I don't think we should underestimate anyone, not even Texas.

Ruf/Nek7
8/19/2012, 07:25 PM
Who thought we had WR issues?

I would say that losing two of our top 3 receivers to suspension, another to stupidity, Gardner not making it to OU, and still waiting for word on Saunders....I would say that's an issue.

ictsooner7
8/19/2012, 07:41 PM
"Hales, a former prep All-American, played in 31 games for Texas. He had 13 catches for 87 yards. He played in nine games last season and made two catches."

This is one of their top recievers? GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZZ

badger
8/19/2012, 08:27 PM
Their recruiting is about on par what we had going in men's basketball under our previous coach... a big budget without a lot of return once they arrive on campus :(

Texas does not have a quarterback and Texas just lost a receiver... so I guess they're gonna run the ball and punt a lot? The Chuck Long offense? :mack:

Ruf/Nek7
8/19/2012, 08:29 PM
"Hales, a former prep All-American, played in 31 games for Texas. He had 13 catches for 87 yards. He played in nine games last season and made two catches."

This is one of their top recievers? GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZZ

They said he was having a great spring and looking to be a top target in the fall. That's what i based that opinion off of.

dennis580
8/19/2012, 08:57 PM
"I feel like I could be a help to the team in other ways outside of playing.''

Hales, a former prep All-American, played in 31 games for Texas. He had 13 catches for 87 yards. He played in nine games last season and made two catches.

I think Hales he is probably right. He is actually helping Texas by not playing.

Wide reciever is certainly not weak with Stills, Metoyer, and Brown. Were very thin, but not weak.

Scott D
8/21/2012, 11:44 AM
I didn't know they had any receivers not named Shipley.

OU_Sooners75
8/21/2012, 11:51 AM
Heck, we now have the best WR corps in the country.

I would that will likely be the case by seasons end.

85sooners
8/21/2012, 11:52 AM
Shipley is their only good target

OU_Sooners75
8/21/2012, 11:55 AM
I would say that losing two of our top 3 receivers to suspension, another to stupidity, Gardner not making it to OU, and still waiting for word on Saunders....I would say that's an issue.

Unless Brown, Metoyer, Neal, Shepard, Bester, etc all flop, I would say it isn't an issue right now.

The only issue we have at WR is we don't know exactly how the new guys are going to transition. But I highly doubt all are going to disappoint.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2012, 11:55 AM
The way I read that is that he wasn't going to see the field and it was a good way to let him hang around without hurting his feelers...I can't see a starter or big time contributor being allowed to quit and hang around.

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2012, 11:58 AM
The way I read that is that he wasn't going to see the field and it was a good way to let him hang around without hurting his feelers...I can't see a starter or big time contributor being allowed to quit and hang around.

+1. Except I doubt he really hangs around much.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/21/2012, 07:34 PM
I would think, that while we will improve at receiver as suspensions are lifted, our main problem in the passing game is keeping our QB off his back so that he can throw to them.

Jacie
8/21/2012, 08:12 PM
Hales claim to fame is that he was still on the depth chart going into his senior season.

Given that sa*et has gone to a power running attack (since neither of their QB's can throw downfield), losing any of their WR's doesn't really affect them all that much.

What he can contribute now ("Football doesn't last forever, and I feel like I could be a help to the team in other ways outside of playing.'') is showing the other WR's how to act as decoys and blockers for the RB's . . .

PLaw
8/21/2012, 08:46 PM
This is probably the weakest position texass has and now one of their top guys is quitting.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8280344/texas-longhorns-receiver-desean-hales-quits-promising-spring

I would put their WR's only slightly ahead of their QB's.

BOOM