PDA

View Full Version : 'BAMA and their '13' National Championships

fossil
8/19/2012, 08:28 AM
I had the misfortune yesterday of being in the sauna at a South Texas military installation with an Auburn fan, and two 'Bama fans.

The Auburn fan brought up the national championship question and asked how many 'Bama claimed. Both 'Bama fans agreed they had 13. I couldn't stand it. I pointed out the 'Bama fans (as the Auburn fan quietly slipped out of the sauna) that no other self respecting major college football program counts national champions like 'Bama does. If any did, some would be able to claim more championships than 'Bama.

So, I asked one of the 'Bama fans how many legitimate championships the Tide have if they count them like everyone else does. His answer? 10!!!! He said 'Bama had 10 NCAA championships. I couldn't believe he was serious!!

'Bama has 8 and they're tied with Notre Dame in that category.

If Oklahoma counted national championships the way 'Bama does, the Sooners would have 17.

So, for all you 'Bama fans who lurk on this board (Sabanball, that means you for one), stop it with the 13 bull****. Claim the 8 you have and be proud, but stop pumping smoke up everyone's *** with the 13 national championship crap!!!!

badger
8/19/2012, 08:33 AM
The Bammers are mostly good people, so they're easier to put up with when they claim 13 than if, say, Poke did (although I guess they claim about 50 because they think rasslin is mas importante, hehe)

The fact of the matter is that there's no unified way of declaring teams the football national champ like there is in basketball with the NCAA tournament. No, not even with the BCS. Thus, you'll have years like 2003 where two teams think they're the champ.

Meh.

85sooners
8/19/2012, 09:10 AM
Ou = 17 nat championships I like that

SoonerinLondon
8/19/2012, 10:20 AM
OU Media Guide and Soonersports.com says we have 16 recognized titles...ND 15, Bama & tOSU 14.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-national-championships.html (scroll to bottom of page for list)

Salt City Sooner
8/19/2012, 01:30 PM
I had the misfortune yesterday of being in the sauna at a South Texas military installation with an Auburn fan, and two 'Bama fans.

The Auburn fan brought up the national championship question and asked how many 'Bama claimed. Both 'Bama fans agreed they had 13. I couldn't stand it. I pointed out the 'Bama fans (as the Auburn fan quietly slipped out of the sauna) that no other self respecting major college football program counts national champions like 'Bama does. If any did, some would be able to claim more championships than 'Bama.

So, I asked one of the 'Bama fans how many legitimate championships the Tide have if they count them like everyone else does. His answer? 10!!!! He said 'Bama had 10 NCAA championships. I couldn't believe he was serious!!

'Bama has 8 and they're tied with Notre Dame in that category.

If Oklahoma counted national championships the way 'Bama does, the Sooners would have 17.

So, for all you 'Bama fans who lurk on this board (Sabanball, that means you for one), stop it with the 13 bull****. Claim the 8 you have and be proud, but stop pumping smoke up everyone's *** with the 13 national championship crap!!!!
Not true at all. Off the top of my head, USC claims 11, Michigan claims 11 as well, & Pitt claims 9.

fossil
8/19/2012, 03:23 PM
According to this URL (which isn't off the top of my head) OU could claim 17 if they counted them the same way 'Bama Does. Sorry gang, I don't know how to place the link in this reply so you can just click on it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_NCAA_football_national_championships_has_ University_of_Alabama_won

fossil
8/19/2012, 03:24 PM
Heh. So that's how you do it!

SteelClip49
8/20/2012, 09:13 AM
ALABAMA leads all programs in national titles from the poll era:

1961- AP, UPI
1964- AP, UPI
1965- AP
1973- UPI
1978- AP
1979- AP, UPI
1992- AP, Coaches
2009- Unanimous
2011- Unanimous

Alabama - 9
Notre Dame - 8
Oklahoma - 7
USC - 7

picasso
8/20/2012, 01:45 PM
Theys integrated!

SoonerMarkVA
8/20/2012, 02:03 PM
ALABAMA leads all programs in national titles from the poll era:

1961- AP, UPI
1964- AP, UPI
1965- AP
1973- UPI
1978- AP
1979- AP, UPI
1992- AP, Coaches
2009- Unanimous
2011- Unanimous

Alabama - 9
Notre Dame - 8
Oklahoma - 7
USC - 7

That looks exactly right.

We have some catchin' up to do. Pretty hard to read that and know we let 3 of 4 opportunities slip away (and if you want to suggest 2004 was lost regardless, at least 2 of 4 opps).

MamaMia
8/20/2012, 02:41 PM
I love Alabama fans, but yeah, that National Championship thing is hilarious.

When we went to the 2003 OU/Alabama game, the one that was a nail biter but we won with a lot of thanks going to that great run made by #47 Renaldo Works. I cant remember the hotel we stayed at but it wasn't in Tuscaloosa, it was in that next city over. The whole 4 days we were there, we didn't pay for but one meal. Our checks were either getting picked up by Alabama fans welcoming us or Auburn fans wishing us luck. :D

We went to this really great BBQ restaurant in Tuscaloosa where its all long picnic tables that everyone shares. I think its called 'Dreamland'...lots of Bama fans. They couldn't have been any nicer.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/20/2012, 03:36 PM
...lots of Bama fans. They couldn't have been any nicer.

They were amazed at your mouthful of teeth.

MamaMia
8/20/2012, 05:43 PM
They were amazed at your mouthful of teeth....which I used to eat 4 Dreamland ribs all by myself. You should have seen the look on the ladies face when I asked her what kind of vegetables they had. It made me say "Thats okay, I'll just take ribs please." :O

I did get bread and I think they have beans and slaw but nobody seemed to care.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/20/2012, 09:34 PM
Alabama doesn't have any national championships in football. And there is no proof otherwise.

mainline13
8/21/2012, 08:55 PM
Not true at all. Off the top of my head, USC claims 11, Michigan claims 11 as well, & Pitt claims 9.

He did specify "self-respecting program" ...

Salt City Sooner
8/21/2012, 09:02 PM
Can't get much more self respecting than to have Hail to the Victors as your own school fight song. :P

goingoneight
8/21/2012, 10:45 PM
I love Alabama fans, but yeah, that National Championship thing is hilarious.

When we went to the 2003 OU/Alabama game, the one that was a nail biter but we won with a lot of thanks going to that great run made by #47 Renaldo Works. I cant remember the hotel we stayed at but it wasn't in Tuscaloosa, it was in that next city over. The whole 4 days we were there, we didn't pay for but one meal. Our checks were either getting picked up by Alabama fans welcoming us or Auburn fans wishing us luck. :D
We went to this really great BBQ restaurant in Tuscaloosa where its all long picnic tables that everyone shares. I think its called 'Dreamland'...lots of Bama fans. They couldn't have been any nicer.

Renaldo's "Miracle Run" was vs 'Bama 2002 in Norman. 2003 was the famous "punt-pass-bomb" where Blake Ferguson threw a pass to Michael Thompson for a first down (the gutsiest call of the Stoops era IMO). Then, Jason White launched a TD bomb to Brandon Jones. I can think of more than a few of our own fans who would jump off of the back wall of the stadium if that happened to us in Norman.

2002 Bama had us on the ropes all the way up to that play. It was like we came alive all of a sudden and scored twiced to steal the win.

sooneron
8/21/2012, 10:53 PM
2002 Bama had us on the ropes all the way up to that play. It was like we came alive all of a sudden and scored twiced to steal the win.
We were up 23-3 at the half and had lost Jason W. They came back and made a game of it in the 2nd half. I believe some due to Fran's gutsy play calling. Onside kick rings a bell, for some reason. They took the lead in the 4th and we took it back. So, they had us on the ropes at a point late in the game. (if you're going to nitpick...)

Sabanball
8/22/2012, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=fossil;3498466]I had the misfortune yesterday of being in the sauna at a South Texas military installation with an Auburn fan, and two 'Bama fans.

Fossil,

if I were you I'd be more concerned about how many Bama might win over the next 5-7 yrs than what we claim in the past.:biggrin:

Phil
8/22/2012, 11:18 AM

Fossil,

if I were you I'd be more concerned about how many Bama might win over the next 5-7 yrs than what we claim in the past.:biggrin:

Heh. I remember that attitude around here about 12 years ago. Admittedly, you guys have made it two out of three, but that don't mean you'll have another any time soon.

Sabanball
8/22/2012, 04:06 PM
Heh. I remember that attitude around here about 12 years ago. Admittedly, you guys have made it two out of three, but that don't mean you'll have another any time soon.

Your last 12 yrs is nothing to sneeze at. At least you've played for the NC multiple times.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/22/2012, 04:26 PM
I remember '04 when USC was going to win the next 6 titles or something.

fossil
8/22/2012, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=fossil;3498466]I had the misfortune yesterday of being in the sauna at a South Texas military installation with an Auburn fan, and two 'Bama fans.

Fossil,

NEWS FLASH: You ain't me.