PDA

View Full Version : Of all the OU games you have personally seen in your lifetime

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 02:25 PM
Which one of those games made you the happiest :sneakiness:...and which game made you the least happy? :moody:

If one of the games that made you happy was when we won a national championship, thats a given, so add an extra. :)

olevetonahill
8/18/2012, 02:29 PM
2000 Neb game made me the happiest , I couldnt sleep the night before at all, after the game the adrenaline faded out and I was wrung out. Basking in the Glow of "We are Back."

the worst game for me was sittin in the stands the day UsC shut us out 12 zip

The king just coulndt believe they could keep stopping us from a TD and wouldnt go for a FG fer nothing

ouwasp
8/18/2012, 02:33 PM
:joyous: '86 Orange Bowl vs Penn St..... Hurrah for #6!!!!

:moody: '90 against Texas...missed a FG right at the finish after a sloppily played game. I was mad at everybody.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/18/2012, 03:01 PM
happiest games besides a NC(1985 Season-OB) were in norman when we beat Nebs in '85, I think, when Keith Jackson made a big play late in the game. Also, when we hammered Missourt in norman in '78 I think. Kellen winslow was their great tight end, and he was bragging about how good they were. We hammered them good. Who can EVAR forget the game in Dallas in 1971, with the coming of age of Jack Mildren and Greg Pruitt, when we beat the despised cows 45-28. Also, in '72 or '73 when we stuffed them 27-0.

The worst games, losing 0-38 in '66 to the domer in Norman. humiliating, and the 2 WVU games, one in norman in '82, and that stoopid Fiesta Bowl after the '07 season.

En_Fuego
8/18/2012, 03:13 PM
Besides the MNC Orange Bowl, I would have to go with the 63-14 wood shed beating the whorns took at the hands of a little sophomore named Quentin Griffin.

Least happy ? .... Every game the Sooners have ever lost !

SouthFortySooner
8/18/2012, 03:15 PM
happiest- 08 TTech, my 16 y/o son's first game! (jump around!)
saddest- hopes dashed in JerryWorld by BYU (with my brother)

Dwight
8/18/2012, 03:27 PM
Best: 2008 vs Tech
Worst: 2010 at A&M

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 03:36 PM
Its almost impossible to pick just one of each, especially the happy games. I've been mulling it over to try and I just cant. :O

picasso
8/18/2012, 03:50 PM
Happiest was 2000 RRS. The first time in 5 visits I had actually seen OU win there. And it was a stomper. heh

SoonerMarkVA
8/18/2012, 03:55 PM
Happiest: 1996 OU/ut, in person, with not a soul outside of the C&C thinking we had a chance. I was sitting behind these two ut yahoos and screaming into their ears the entire game. The dismay on their faces when J. Allen punched it over in overtime was completely delicious.

Most Dismal: 1997, OU/aTm. Bitterly cold, blowing dry snow, last home game for seniors, and the stadium was about as full as for any given spring practice by the end. While we were being utterly embarrassed by a remarkably average team, they kept showing the interviews with the seniors on the big screen, and "Great Sooner Moments in History". I don't recall if it was actually that night or a different one, but one of the "great" Sooner moments was the embarrassing almost-loss on the go-for-2 from hapless Baylor that we miraculously stopped. If it wasn't shown that night, it should have been. Blake's disaster on full display for the 1000 of us or so that were still there by the end.

agoo758
8/18/2012, 04:00 PM
08 tech game is first and only game ive been to so far.... good choice I'd say.:sneakiness:

I Am Right
8/18/2012, 04:06 PM
08 against Sand Aggies
11 Against Sand Aggies

hawaii 5-0
8/18/2012, 04:08 PM
Seeing all three Selmon Brothers on the field at once, waving to the crowd was special.

I still recall that clip on Joe Wiley during Johnny Roders's punt return. It was cold, very cold that day.

5-0

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 04:34 PM
My worst game experience was TGOWWDNS. (the MNC game against USC in Florida in 2004)

Other than all the times watching OU beat Texas at the Cotton Bowl, I had a great time in California when we went to see the Sooners win the Rose Bowl against the Washington State Cougars. That was a fun filled 4 days. The powers that be in that conference trashed us in the media and made it very clear that they did not want the likes of us Sooner types in Pasadena, so it was really fun watching us take that trophy home.

Then the 'Jump' win against Tech. That was great.

The "Let R Rip" win against oSu was hilarious. I did a lot of laughing that day. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/giggle.gif
This. Was. Not. Suppose. To happen. Here. Today....Les Miles that night during his post game interview. :)

Ruf/Nek7
8/18/2012, 04:50 PM
Difficult to pick my favorite like last years OU/* game, but its easy to pick my least favorite. Tcu 05. It was my first game in Gaylord Memorial Stadium. Hot as hell and my mouth started bleeding from dehdration from drinking myself silly the night before.

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 05:01 PM
Difficult to pick my favorite like last years OU/* game, but its easy to pick my least favorite. Tcu 05. It was my first game in Gaylord Memorial Stadium. Hot as hell and my mouth started bleeding from dehdration from drinking myself silly the night before.I was in the Kerr McGee Club pacing back and fourth in shock during that game. I, as well as the others around me were in absolute total disbelief at what we were witnessing. :moody:

SoonerinSouthlake
8/18/2012, 05:48 PM
The Superman RRS Game. Whoever won the game was gonna be #1 cause FSU lost in the 11am game. It was a defensive struggle...then that moment! I've never heard the Sooner side SO loud and the whorn side so dejected. The "pooooooorrr Texasssssss!!" chants and "Chirissy Sucks" chants coming down the ramps were absolutely monumental.

Worst had to be the loss to Little Brother the same year, At home, when the stars had aligned and all we had to was beat the hapless Cowboys and the path was pretty clear (if we beat CU) to go to Rose for 2nd straight title game.

badger
8/18/2012, 06:17 PM
The most fun game was tech as an alum in 2008. The tix were $125 each, but it was cold, it was loud, and our team was un-freakin-stoppable.

Ou football hell was probably the game that didnt happen, january 2005. I was in the band and got an up-close view of that punt that pool should never have fielded. It was all downhill from there. The drum major kept instructing us to play boomer sooner regardless of how awful the game was going... but the all-time lowpoint had to be after we scored a late-game touchdown. Drum major told us to play "thats the way i like it" even though ou was down by about 40.

It was a soul-crushing defeat. :(

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 06:23 PM
The most fun game was tech as an alum in 2008. The tix were $125 each, but it was cold, it was loud, and our team was un-freakin-stoppable.

Ou football hell was probably the game that didnt happen, january 2005. I was in the band and got an up-close view of that punt that pool should never have fielded. It was all downhill from there. The drum major kept instructing us to play boomer sooner regardless of how awful the game was going... but the all-time lowpoint had to be after we scored a late-game touchdown. Drum major told us to play "thats the way i like it" even though ou was down by about 40.

It was a soul-crushing defeat. :(Thats also when they showed all the opposing fans on the jumbotron actually pity cheering for us, and meaning it. They were actually happy that we scored. :O

soonersweetie
8/18/2012, 06:38 PM
Happiest, wow. OU vs Neb, Keith Jackson-my dad screaming n laughing with me, priceless! But also Neb 2000, just madr me giddy to be back on top!!

Saddest-OU vs Boise St. Enough said. We were supposed to win that game, just heartbreaking. And prob last year's TX tech game. It made me so angry. It wasn't even a great team, it was tech, ugh. To break our home winning streak w that game, hurts.

PLaw
8/18/2012, 07:48 PM
Worst: 4-way Tie - 1971 Nebraska (first game attended), 1975 Kansas, 1989 Texas (first RRR attended), 2007 Fiesta Bowl (first bowl game attended)

Best: 1973 Nebraska, 1979 Nebraska, 1985 Nebraska

pphilfran
8/18/2012, 08:56 PM
2000 at K State...hands down...

Soonerman82
8/18/2012, 10:57 PM
1999 aTm game :joyous:

2011 Tech game :moody:

Sooner24
8/18/2012, 11:07 PM
Since I can't pick the 2000 NC game I will go with the 2000 KSU game in Manhattan.

Saddest game ever as a Sooner fan was the 1988 NC basketball game in Kemper Arena. No football loss had ever been as depressing as that night in KC. :(

You didn't say they had to be football games. ;)

8/18/2012, 11:10 PM
Since I can't pick the 2000 NC game I will go with the 2000 KSU game in Manhattan.

Saddest game ever as a Sooner fan was the 1988 NC basketball game in Kemper Arena. No football loss had ever been as depressing as that night in KC. :(

You didn't say they had to be football games. ;)The horror! you didn't HAVE TO go there!

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 11:24 PM

You didn't say they had to be football games. ;)True, but this 'is' the football board. :)

SicEmBaylor
8/18/2012, 11:29 PM
Last season's OU game is my favorite.

picasso
8/18/2012, 11:33 PM
Last season's OU game is my favorite.
Doesn't happen often huh? In fact it quite possibly may never happen again. Kinda like your bumper sticker there.

goingoneight
8/18/2012, 11:57 PM
Favorite TV experience = #7 in January 2001.
Least Favorite TV experience = last year vs Tech. That one is still aggravating.
Favorite at-the-game = OU/TX 2007 with my Dad and my late Grandpa (who only ever saw one OU game live).
Least Favorite at-the-game = 2002 in Stoolwater. I think Stoolwater hospitality (sarcasm) did that one in for me worse than Les Miles or the beat down we took.

ouflak
8/19/2012, 09:27 AM
Worst was the game we eaked out against TCU (at TCU) in the last 3 minutes of the game, winning 10-9. Best was probably the '97 Syracuse game in Norman.

yermom
8/19/2012, 09:59 AM
it's hard to beat 2003 for some of the best and worst... Texas, OSU and A&M were all nuts. that UCLA game was pretty sweet as well

then there was the post season...

i'm going to choose not to relive the heartbreak in subsequent years :eek:
it's really hard to pick the most disappointing game after that. and i was at ALL of them.

BigTip
8/19/2012, 10:42 AM
Worst: - 1971 Nebraska

The Game of the Century was the most tolerable loss for me. The loss hurt, but it was such an epic game, with the electricity in the stadium that day so high, that it still ranks as the most exciting sports event I have ever attended.

XingTheRubicon
8/19/2012, 02:48 PM
The worst ... 2008 RRS stung. Pisses me off just thinking about it. I know it turned out right in the end, but watching the seconds tick that one down was just miserable. Having to gaze upon the giddy Lance Bass in a tickle fight, look on the functionally retarded texas fans after beating #1 OU was like being raped at your own wedding.

The best ... 2000 Nebraska. That throw off the back foot, into the wind...the separation, the steadily climbing anticipatory noise, the in stride catch, the simultaneous roar. Full Happy.

fadada1
8/19/2012, 03:03 PM
very satisfying - at syracuse in '94. grew up in rochester, and hated all things orangemen. was home on leave for a few days, and went over to the game. FG in the last minute shut the entire place right up.

worst - osu in '97. first season back to OU after the navy. after the (estimated) 5th turnover, somewhere in the late 3rd quarter/early 4th, stormed out of the stadium in a profanity-laden tirade that would've made my sailor brethren blush. only game i've ever left early. the beer flowed well that night.

opksooner
8/19/2012, 03:27 PM
BEST: Homecoming, 1953. Colorado. A come from behind victory in the last minute of play. Merrill Green goes 50 yards as the clock runs out.

WORST: nd at Owen Field, '57, end of the 47 game streak.

XingTheRubicon
8/19/2012, 05:11 PM
^^^^^WOW^^^^^

BigTip
8/19/2012, 05:22 PM
^^^^^WOW^^^^^

Exactly!

ding ding ding, we have a winner!

lol

PLaw
8/19/2012, 06:07 PM
BEST: Homecoming, 1953. Colorado. A come from behind victory in the last minute of play. Merrill Green goes 50 yards as the clock runs out.

Dad still talks about playing against Merrill in HS. Norman had Chick beat with seconds on the clock after a TD drive. Dad is still po'd that the coach chose to kick the ball away instead of a squib kick. Merrill returned the kick off for a TD and it still gets under 'Dog's skin.

Dog was also at the '57 game sitting under the south endzone gold posts. His blood still gets hot about the ND coach saying they "won the game for Catholics in Oklahoma".

Bummer

PLaw
8/19/2012, 06:09 PM
The Game of the Century was the most tolerable loss for me. The loss hurt, but it was such an epic game, with the electricity in the stadium that day so high, that it still ranks as the most exciting sports event I have ever attended.

True that. As an 11 year old boy just developing a keen awareness of OU football, it still sucked.

Boomer

jkjsooner
8/19/2012, 06:29 PM

It was a soul-crushing defeat. :(

That was Bradley.

jkjsooner
8/19/2012, 06:36 PM
very satisfying - at syracuse in '94. grew up in rochester, and hated all things orangemen. was home on leave for a few days, and went over to the game. FG in the last minute shut the entire place right up.

Wasn't there but my reaction to that game was exactly the opposite. I lost whatever faith I had in Gibbs after blowing the big lead. I also remembered the play where the 'Cuse guy knocked the ball away from our receiver as he was running down the sideline for a TD.

On the bright side, Scott Blanton really redeemed himself that game.

8/19/2012, 06:41 PM

worst - osu in '97. first season back to OU after the navy. after the (estimated) 5th turnover, somewhere in the late 3rd quarter/early 4th, stormed out of the stadium in a profanity-laden tirade that would've made my sailor brethren blush. only game i've ever left early. the beer flowed well that night.I hung with OU during the first 3, maybe 4 yrs of Garry Gibbs as HC, then it got to be too much. I got ramped up again after we hired Schnellengerber, and was quickly deflated after he got outa control of everything. Blake was as bad as feared, and then I did begin to notice the yr Stoops took over, and it looked as if he MIGHT have the program going in the right dirction again. Way to go, Bob!

8/19/2012, 06:44 PM
True that. As an 11 year old boy just developing a keen awareness of OU football, it still sucked.

BoomerWe got SO screwed by the refs in that game, I almost put it into my most despised games list.

Sooner24
8/19/2012, 11:51 PM

WOW, an OPK sighting!!! :excitement:

WA. Sooner
8/20/2012, 05:23 AM
Happiest 2000 red river Runner up Beating the U
UN happy Arkansas Orange Bowl Runner up 2004 nc

StoopTroup
8/20/2012, 05:49 AM
The FIVE Seasons in a row that we beat Fexas made me very happy and the one game that brought tears to my eyes was 2000 OU Nebraska but I think the tears were from the tear gas.

Worst was walking out of the Stadium after losing to Tebow.

mojorisen2014
8/20/2012, 07:48 AM
Happiest was my very first Sooner game attended. 1987 I believe OU beat Mizzou 77-0. Crappiest was the Boise St loss. I was in Vegas for that game watching it at ESPN zone with a former Boise St wide receiver and I lost ALOT of money on that game

Landthief 1972
8/20/2012, 11:11 AM
I'm assuming you mean games we've seen live at the stadium?

Best game: OU vs. Texas A&M, 1993. OU won 44-14, scoring 24 points in the 4th quarter. A&M was ranked 6th at the time, and we were 17th. There was a lot of talk before the game that A&M should have been ranked higher, and they didn't score a single point in the first half. It was my first game, which made it even sweeter (and would be the only win I would see again until Oregoon came to Norman)

Worst game: OU vs. Texas, 2009. OU was down by 3 late in the 4th. McCoy throws a pick, then despite being banged up and fighting a cold, manages to catch the defender and prevent a TD, and then Jones couldn't move the ball after that. I was also hung over as hell. Ugly game, that matched how I felt all day.

aj44mc
8/20/2012, 11:26 AM
I have been to the 3 recent fiesta bowls and the insight bowl last year.
Worst would have been WV

Best had to be the insight bowl and mostly because i was with my Best friend and his wife. She is an Iowa grad and they were decked out in black and yellow. Ran in to Ryan Broyles as dinner afterwards too.

MamaMia
8/20/2012, 11:35 AM
Dad still talks about playing against Merrill in HS. Norman had Chick beat with seconds on the clock after a TD drive. Dad is still po'd that the coach chose to kick the ball away instead of a squib kick. Merrill returned the kick off for a TD and it still gets under 'Dog's skin.

Dog was also at the '57 game sitting under the south endzone gold posts. His blood still gets hot about the ND coach saying they "won the game for Catholics in Oklahoma".Bummer

Wow, I never knew he said that! So, he was thinking that there were no Catholic Sooner fans in Oklahoma? :apthy:

Hang a half a hunerd on 'em! :victorious:

8/20/2012, 11:41 AM
Wow, I never knew he said that! So, he was thinking that there were no Catholic Sooner fans in Oklahoma? :apthy:

Hang a half a hunerd on 'em! :victorious:Some folks think Sooners who are catholic prefer the domer over OU simply since they are a catholic college. Yeah, I don't think so either. I was raise catholic, and certainly have no use for those guys and their tv network, and lapdog media.

MrJimBeam
8/20/2012, 11:48 AM
Tough to pick just one of each:

Wins were '83 OSU (cause I was there), '84 & 2000 Nebraska and 2000 K-State @ KC
Losses were '81 USC (I cried), '91 Texas (got physically ill afterwards), '01 OSU.

badger
8/20/2012, 12:02 PM
Alternate question: What was your worst experience at a win and best experience at a loss?

Worst win: South Florida in 2002. Unlike a few weeks prior when we did a rain dance versus UTEP, South Florida was miserably cold with the rain and the night game atmosphere. The visiting South Florida fans were not really that nice, either.

Best loss: Nebrasky 2001, because even though we lost, we fully expected to go undefeated the rest of the year and meet the Huskers in the Big 12 championship game in December. As we all know, that didn't work out well for either of us, but at that game, the loss was not the end of the world.

SoonerNomad
8/20/2012, 12:26 PM
I've only been to 10 games in my life so this is easier for me.

Best (tie) - 2002 OU v. Texas - my first RRS (at the age of 42 and after being a fan my whole life) and I still get goose bumps remembering walking into the stadium for the first time and seeing the crowd. We won 37-24. Also - 2011 at Tallahassee. I had lived there when OU beat FSU for the title 10 years earlier so I had friends there. One of my buds got us great seats and the atmosphere was unreal. I attended a Florida/FSU game there in 2000 and this crowd was much better. Probably glad to be thought of as potentially back in the hunt.

Worst - 2005 at UCLA - Sooners were young team, but I have always thought a bad OU team should handle UCLA. It was a beautiful day though and we did sit a couple rows behind Coach Switzer.

MamaMia
8/20/2012, 12:54 PM
Worse win experience: OU/Texas 2000 63/14. My celebration was short lived. After loving the game and enjoying the fair with my family after the victory, we walked back to my brand new, one week old Nissan XTerra, only to find two completely broken windows where some horn fan had grabbed my OU car flags and broke them off, breaking the passenger window in doing so. The drivers side window was shattered by what looked like someone kicking it and the drivers side door was bashed in a good 4 inches. They had Keyed OU SUX all over my new car. People had to of seen it happen but nobody bothered to call the police. My family had to fly home while I had to spend an extra 5 days in Dallas just to get my car repaired.

Best loss experience: That would have to be the 1987 season Orange Bowl in Miami FL. It was a close game. We made a 2 week vacation out of it though. We traveled to St. Augustine, Key West, then back up to the game, up to Orlando and then to Clearwater to visit my dad for a couple of days.

8/20/2012, 01:04 PM

Best loss experience: That would have to be the 1986 Orange Bowl in Miami FL. It was a close game. We made a 2 week vacation out of it though. We traveled to St. Augustine, Key West, then back up to the game, up to Orlando and then to Clearwater to visit my dad for a couple of days.You mean after the '86 season, no? (We beat Penn State in early Jan. '86, in the OB, for the NC.) That is the only game i've seen in person where we were crowned NC afterwards.

MamaMia
8/20/2012, 01:12 PM
You mean after the '86 season, no? (We beat Penn State in early Jan. '86, in the OB, for the NC.) That is the only game I've seen in person where we were crowned NC afterward. I'm thinking the actual game was on New Years Day of 88, so it was the 87 season?

Another bad game experience for me was when we paid $225.00 each for seats on the 50 2nd row above the 2nd aisle, to watch OU beat oSu in Stillwater. I don't remember exactly what year, but these young college guys wouldn't let us sit in our seats. The security wouldn't even make them move, nor would they even check their tickets! It was unbelievable. The security guy said "Sorry, you should have known it would be crowded here today. Find a seat or leave" We looked all around and there weren't any seats left since the gate person was letting students in for free just with a student ID, so we went to the same security guy and explained the situation and just asked him if he would please just check their tickets. He refused, asked us if we had found a place to sit, and explained that we couldn't stand there on the walkway. When I told him we could NOT find a seat he told us that we had to leave. I called oSu but they said that I would have to take it up with the person I bought the ticket from, which was impossible since I bought it online.

PLaw
8/20/2012, 01:13 PM
Alternate question: What was your worst experience at a win and best experience at a loss?

Worst win: South Florida in 2002. Unlike a few weeks prior when we did a rain dance versus UTEP, South Florida was miserably cold with the rain and the night game atmosphere. The visiting South Florida fans were not really that nice, either.

Best loss: Nebrasky 2001, because even though we lost, we fully expected to go undefeated the rest of the year and meet the Huskers in the Big 12 championship game in December. As we all know, that didn't work out well for either of us, but at that game, the loss was not the end of the world.

Badger you have been around here longer than me so I would take it that you would know that there is no good experience at an OU loss. I have to go to sackcloth and ashes until the Sooners play again after a loss.

Likewise, every win is a celebration. If it's against the sisters of the poor, then we did what we should have done and I take pride in that. If it is against a worthy foe, then it only elevates OU's esteem and I stick my chest out a little farther that following week.

BOOMER

badger
8/20/2012, 01:30 PM
Badger you have been around here longer than me so I would take it that you would know that there is no good experience at an OU loss. I have to go to sackcloth and ashes until the Sooners play again after a loss.

Likewise, every win is a celebration. If it's against the sisters of the poor, then we did what we should have done and I take pride in that. If it is against a worthy foe, then it only elevates OU's esteem and I stick my chest out a little farther that following week.

BOOMER

I would argue that bad wins/good losses are for reasons other than on-the-field, so usually there's some back story.

Another bad win experience that come to mind...

OU at Texas A&M in 2004: The Aggies just were rabid frothing at the mouth before/during/after this game for a variety of reasons. Our team came out during their beloved alma mater song (the one where the yell leader pretends that he's rowing or something) so what does the band do when OU runs out? Plays Boomer Sooner. Fortunately, someone had the good sense for us to stop mid-song before some of the rabid Aggies killed us. We were instructed to heartily apologize to any rabid Aggie that confronted us after the game over the infraction. Even if we didn't commit such a silly sin, the Aggies were up two touchdowns at one point (Fran face got his gumption back after 77-0 and faked both a field goal and a punt and got touchdowns out of them), so they were pretty pizzed off. Anyways, safety was not guaranteed after the game, so just wanted to leave College Station as fast as possible afterward.

There was also the 2003 game where we hosted Fresno State... we got scolded heartily after that game. Ugggggh.

8/20/2012, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=MamaMia;3498842]I'm thinking the actual game was on New Years Day of 88, so it was the 87 season?

[QUOTE]I was at that game too. The king didn't have a forward pass thrown until the middle of the 4th quarter. Miami had 8 guys stacked on the defensive line the whole game. I was SO PO'd. Glad you had a good time in Miami, though. We were doomed from the start with that game plan on offense.

yermom
8/20/2012, 03:39 PM
pretty sure it was New Years Day, 1988

only on PPV :mad:

Fraggle145
8/20/2012, 03:49 PM
2000 Nebraska

2011 TTech

Salt City Sooner
8/20/2012, 04:03 PM
I've only been to 10 games in my life so this is easier for me.

Best (tie) - 2002 OU v. Texas - my first RRS (at the age of 42 and after being a fan my whole life) and I still get goose bumps remembering walking into the stadium for the first time and seeing the crowd. We won 37-24. Also - 2011 at Tallahassee. I had lived there when OU beat FSU for the title 10 years earlier so I had friends there. One of my buds got us great seats and the atmosphere was unreal. I attended a Florida/FSU game there in 2000 and this crowd was much better. Probably glad to be thought of as potentially back in the hunt.

Worst - 2005 at UCLA - Sooners were young team, but I have always thought a bad OU team should handle UCLA. It was a beautiful day though and we did sit a couple rows behind Coach Switzer.

You'd think so, but as luck would have it, UCLA was quite good that year. They ran off 8 in a row to start the season before fading a bit (2-2) at the end. FWIW, OU had the hardest overall schedule in the nation that year by a significant margin. Heck, our supposed "creampuff" OOC game was Tulsa, & they went 9-4 & won C-USA.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/20/2012, 04:09 PM
2000 Nebraska

2011 TTech

THIS ^^^^^^^^

2000 = WE ARE BACK!!!!!!!

2011 = WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

MamaMia
8/20/2012, 04:19 PM
THIS ^^^^^^^^

2011 = WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Perfect way of putting it. :D

UberSooner
8/20/2012, 04:49 PM
1990 game against Nebbish. It was the last home game of my senior year and the Huskers were a top ranked team and we were on probation. WE SLAUGHTERED EM! Joe T was a monster and Gundy was on fire. I took my Dad to that game and we talked about it all night after the game. It is the happiest and saddest I've been at any game. We were done on a high note but alas we were done. Makes me embarrassed for how much I hated on Gibbs in later years. I think now at what happened after he got a can tied to him and have a real respect for what he did through those really tough years.

soonergirlNeugene
8/20/2012, 06:56 PM
2000 Nebraska, especially the way we stormed back after going down 2 touchdowns. #1 ranking for the first time in my lifetime - the horrible 90s were OVER!

2000 Texas - 63-14 is a close second though!

Worst is TGOWWDNS, though according to the NCAA I can keep telling myself that never happened.

BHB 91
8/20/2012, 07:04 PM
Best game in person was the 2000 RRS and the next 4 of them. That first one was rainy, chilly and I never had more fun at a game. The best part was seeing a half empty stadium across from us at halftime. Ran into Dr. George Cross's son at the 2003 edition right before kickoff and he looked at me and my brother and said "I have been to a bunch of these games and I am here to tell you we are going to win big". Man, was he ever right. 65-13 and another half empty stadium at halftime.

Worst game, Sugar Bowl 2004. Only bowl game I ever got to see OU in. Not only was the ending painful after running the ball so well earlier, but the fans were truly horrible. Little kids were running up to people and talking crap. Never seen anything like it. Adult fans weren't any better. We got real lucky and stayed at the same hotel as the team which was pretty cool. Except the afternoon before the game at the hotel bar a drunk LSU fan came in talking smack to a roomful of OU fans. Finally left when one big guy stood up and told him to put his money where his mouth was. He left and mumbled something about not having any money. Those fans made the whorn fans at a RRS look like a bunch of girl scouts in comparison...

cvsooner
8/20/2012, 07:07 PM
Best game: Nebraska '75. Worst: 2007 Fiasco Bowl. Ouch.

fadada1
8/20/2012, 07:38 PM
best experience - nebraska '90 (good call UBER). was about 15 feet from barnes hit on that poor, unsuspecting RB. there may still be teeth/blood/spleen parts on that spot.

worst experience - see aforementioned post regarding osu game in '97

Fraggle145
8/20/2012, 08:31 PM
THIS ^^^^^^^^

2011 = WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yep.

opksooner
8/20/2012, 08:49 PM
WOW, an OPK sighting!!! :excitement:
Hey, how ya doin', two four?

soonerboy_odanorth
8/20/2012, 09:07 PM
I understand "the game you saw in person that made you happiest" for many is going to be the best they ever saw and that we won, such as 2000 Nebraska, etc.

But for me, right near the tippy-top.... Hanging half-a-hundred on those damn Miami co-Canes in 2007! I had perma-grin for a week after that one.

Then for me the one that made me saddest that I saw in person? I'm going to have to go with the '97 24-0 shutout loss to Northwestern at Soldier Field. That was a low of lows for me. He got a free pass rebuilding his first season, especially with the OT win over Texas, but that one was the one where I knew we were in trouble with Boo-Boo as head coach. NO improvement, and if it was possible we looked worse than ever.

MyT Oklahoma
8/20/2012, 09:10 PM
Happiest = the 1986, 1987 and 1988 OU/* games because two back-to-back 35 point blowouts will do that for you not to mention Commerce Street the night before those games. The 2002 OU/Mizzou game also counts though because it was the first time that I took my daughter to an OU football game.

Least happy = 1989 OU/* game because even sitting on the 45 yard line will do that to you when OU loses.

brigadeer
8/21/2012, 01:32 PM
I would have to the say the thumping we gave R.C. Slocum my freshman year in 1993, 48-14 was the final score (or something close). I wasn't a huge college football fan before I went to college, and I can remember the atmosphere like it was yesterday, I was truly amazed. I'm wanting to say A&M was ranked around 10 at the time, and we were either un-rated, or were very close to 25, so the atmosphere was amazing.

There obviously have been better games since then, with better players, teams, and coaches, but that one stuck out in my mind first when I read the question.

SoonerNomad
8/21/2012, 01:51 PM
1990 game against Nebbish. It was the last home game of my senior year and the Huskers were a top ranked team and we were on probation. WE SLAUGHTERED EM! Joe T was a monster and Gundy was on fire. I took my Dad to that game and we talked about it all night after the game. It is the happiest and saddest I've been at any game. We were done on a high note but alas we were done. Makes me embarrassed for how much I hated on Gibbs in later years. I think now at what happened after he got a can tied to him and have a real respect for what he did through those really tough years.

I watched this game in Nebraska with some Huskers who were related to a buddy of mine in Wyoming. Great day.

8/21/2012, 03:32 PM
Happiest 2000 red river Runner up Beating the U
UN happy Arkansas Orange Bowl Runner up 2004 ncI, too, got a LOT of enjoyment out of beating the U in Normanfairly recently, and was equally PO'd when we lost to them in miami that following year, when the U still wasn't all that good. I think Shannon beating OU kept him employed longer than would have been the case. Also, good point about that Soopig fiasco after the '77 season. That should NOT have happened.

King Crimson
8/21/2012, 04:12 PM
worst in person....75 Kansas. maybe the 81 Stanford game, but turns that Elway guy was pretty good.

best. gotta be 85 Nebraska, the Keith Jackson reverse game.....i mean wow. seeing that play develop from the north endzone....it was ballgame after that.

tell you though, like a witch i turned down chances to see Oklahoma lose to CU in 99 and 07 at Colorado.

i knew i couldn't take it.

cjames317
8/21/2012, 04:33 PM
2000 RRS. I still have, beneath my glass desktop, a cheap paper poster with the 63-14 score stamped on it that I bought in the Cotton Bowl concourse. So much joy ...

1984 RRS. Effin Texas refs Butch Clark and Ron Murphy!

King Crimson
8/22/2012, 08:01 AM
Worst game, Sugar Bowl 2004. Only bowl game I ever got to see OU in. Not only was the ending painful after running the ball so well earlier, but the fans were truly horrible. Little kids were running up to people and talking crap. Never seen anything like it. Adult fans weren't any better. We got real lucky and stayed at the same hotel as the team which was pretty cool. Except the afternoon before the game at the hotel bar a drunk LSU fan came in talking smack to a roomful of OU fans. Finally left when one big guy stood up and told him to put his money where his mouth was. He left and mumbled something about not having any money. Those fans made the whorn fans at a RRS look like a bunch of girl scouts in comparison...

that was pretty bad, forgot about that one. had similar experiences with trash talking LSU morons. some old lady in purple spit at my dad on bourbon street the night before the game. classy stuff.

for some reason the world decided we got blown out in that game when we had the ball inside their 20 with a chance to tie...and LSU doesn't score an offensive point in the 2nd half.

All_Day_28
8/22/2012, 09:57 AM
Best game I've ever been to is 2000 OU v. Neb. NO QUESTION!!!! I have been to a really good amount of games and have never experience anything like it in Norman.

Worst game I went to was the 2005 Orange Bowl OU v. usc... oh man :( what a sickening day. And we sat through the entire game to show our support to the players and it hurt..

MamaMia
8/22/2012, 12:29 PM
I was at that Sugar Bowl too. I have been all over the United States to cheer on my team and can say without any reservation that the LSU fans are the worst ever. Before, during and after the game; oh man, what a bunch of backward, rude, horrible people!

BillyBall
8/22/2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure anything will top Nebraska in 1986.

PalmBeachSooner
8/22/2012, 01:41 PM
I was there for the 2000 Championship game. Allsum, to say the least. Unfortunately, I was at the USC beatdown.

85sooners
8/22/2012, 04:48 PM
I want to kill USC!!!!

ELP Sooner
8/22/2012, 05:13 PM
Being a negative person let's do the worst first....Fiesta Bowl V Az State (marcus dupree game) tied with @usc in 1988 , @arizona in 1989 and @texas tech 2007..i was at the boise game...and all of the ones i mentioned are far worse.

best....sun bowl over stanford

BrockLanders
8/22/2012, 05:21 PM
Tie. 2000 Nebraska and 2008 Tech

Wishboned
8/22/2012, 06:15 PM
My best would be a tie between 1983 @ Stillwater. The OSU fans were talking about rushing the field and tearing down the goalposts. Then Sooner Magic happened. The only thing torn down that day were their dreams. And my other choice would be 2008 Texas Tech. Just an incredible atmosphere and I thought I had permanent damage to my vocal cords.

I've only been to five games in my lifetime, and I've never seen them lose in person. So I really don't have a bad choice.

Sooner24
8/22/2012, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure anything will top Nebraska in 1986.

I'm jealous. Of the 301 games I have been to that is the one game I wish I had been at.

bringit
8/23/2012, 06:34 AM
Last game I saw in Norman was OU v Miami mid 80s.

Last game I went to was the OU v USC debacle in Miami

NMSooner'80
8/23/2012, 09:39 AM
Happiest - 1979 OU-Nebraska game in Norman. It was still the best college game I've seen in person, and Billy Sims was epic in a 17-14 Sooner win. that was also his last home game as a college player (and my last as an OU student to see in person).

Worst - 1976 Bedlam. That was the infamous 31-24 game, and the Pukes still had their 31-24 bumper stickers well into the 80's.

salth2o
8/23/2012, 11:01 AM
Happiest - OU-TX 2011 - It was my son's first OU/TX game.

Saddest (scariest) - OU @ Miami - Wasn't sure if The Redhead and I were going to get out of the stadium safely.

Mississippi Sooner
8/23/2012, 11:13 AM
Even after all these years, I still don't think I've been as down after a Sooner loss as I was after the '78 Orange Bowl. All we had to do to clinch the national championship was beat a depleted Arkansas team. Instead, somehow, Lou Holtz....well, I still don't know how it happened.

AZSOONER
8/23/2012, 11:24 AM
Happiest- Rose Bowl, was a great week, met a lot of great Sooner Fans, sat around a bunch of drunk wsu fans at the game, they knew their vacation was over when the game started.:)

Worst- Fiesta Bowl against Boise St. so many ups and downs at the end of that game. I literally got sick!!! (alcohol played no part in it either)

SunnySooner
8/23/2012, 04:09 PM
Best...last year at Florida State. We were straight up from the corner Stills made that allsome TD catch. Couldn't talk for a week, I had been nervous about that game for so long, that win was saaaweeeet! Especially since I lived in FL,amongst Nole fans. Always fun to rub it in!!!

Worst...RRS of the Greek tragedy that was the 2009 season. Seeing Sam go down....again
.and then still on the sidelines, trying to throw and get back in, then giving up...egad, I still have nightmares, just wanted to bawl for him. Very glad that story had a bajillion dollar happy ending, or else I might still be in therapy over that one. Shudder....

Sooner74
8/23/2012, 04:43 PM
This is hard even though I've only been to 6 seasons of games.

Worst- I would say the worst game I have been the game vs Iowa State in 2006. It was an epic moment for all the wrong reasons. I as a new student at OU was enamored with Adrian Peterson. He was amazing, electric, and downright a stud. I couldn't help, but think that everytime he touched the ball it would go for a touchdown. It was the first time in my life I knew I was watching a living legend. The game had specific significance to Adrian Peterson because his father was released from prison and it was the first time he got to watch his son play ball. I was so happy that Adrian knew his father was there. Then AD broke his collarbone and I knew it was possibly his last game, although he did return vs. Boise. That was the worst knowing I saw my example of a football legend for the last time in Crimson and Cream.

Best- Without a doubt for me was seeing us vs. Florida State in 2010. I had grown up a Nole my whole life, but wanted to stay close to home. I decided to attend OU and in effect created a rivalry between my mother (Saxet Grad) and my dad and I ( A Nole). It was a memorable experience showing the Houston Seminole Club the sights and sound of Norman and OKC. I have never been prouder to be a Sooner after we stomped them.

SoonerNomad
8/23/2012, 05:16 PM
Even after all these years, I still don't think I've been as down after a Sooner loss as I was after the '78 Orange Bowl. All we had to do to clinch the national championship was beat a depleted Arkansas team. Instead, somehow, Lou Holtz....well, I still don't know how it happened.

I was a senior in high school living in Bitburg, Germany that year (Jan 1. 1978). Dad and I stayed up all night to listen to the game on the radio. Never had heard of Ben Cowins before that game. Haven't heard of him since. Losing is one thing, getting routed is another.

EnragedOUfan
8/23/2012, 09:28 PM
I've only been to 3 OU games in my lifetime:

UTEP @ Norman, 2002...
North Carolina at OU, 2001.....
Baylor at OU, 2007.......

Best one I've seen personally was OU-Baylor 2007.......I had great seats, I got to see how good Sam Bradford was, I saw that amazing one handed catch made by Malcolm Kelly, and I went with my father.

Worst one was OU-UTEP 2002 because not only did it pour down rain, it effin drenched us out...

However I got to admit, it was awesome seeing Julius Peppers return that interception for a touchdown against us when North Carolina came to Norman. From the stands, you could see the body language on the field and tell that Julius Peppers was bound to become a freak in the NFL. Plus, that was the game after our national championship season and the intro video with Stoops holding the Sears trophy sent shivers down my spine...

Sooner24
8/23/2012, 11:15 PM

You didn't say they had to be football games. ;)

If I had to pick the worst football game the screw job in Eugene with the 1984 Texas screw job a close second.

cozysooner
8/24/2012, 12:18 PM
Favorite- 2000 OU vs. Nebraska: Best coaching staff and had players ready even after falling behind early. OU goes on to win NC.

Least- 1996 Tulsa beats OU 31-24: Worst coaching staff; gave up 99 yard TD to some spare white WR. Tulsa finished the year 4-7.

cozysooner
8/24/2012, 12:21 PM
Happiest - OU-TX 2011 - It was my son's first OU/TX game.

Saddest (scariest) - OU @ Miami - Wasn't sure if The Redhead and I were going to get out of the stadium safely.

My bro and his wife were at the Miami game too and they said the same thing about getting out safely!!

yermom
8/24/2012, 01:13 PM
i was at the Miami game and had a lot of fun, other than the score

the fans were rowdy, but way more pleasant to be around than the UF fans a few months earlier

SunnySooner
8/24/2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, we got picked on at Thug U as well
A chick, a grandpa and 2 little kids. Easy pickings. We had one guy come up and say he was sorry, he'd been in Norman in 2007, and had a great time even tho we stomped them. The rest of em could pound sand.