PDA

View Full Version : Good old property taxes

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 09:09 AM
Ain't they fun? :)

I imagine that they are lower where I live here in Oklahoma than a lot of states, but then so is income and the price of living. I would think that my particular county is one of the highest taxed though, just looking at the bills. A while back, a lady came by my house and told me to unlock my back gate and keep my dogs in. She showed me some ID and said she was from the Woodward County property tax assessment office. I don't know how high mine are compared to other Oklahoma counties but they keep going up at what seems like a faster rate than the income bracket. I have never thought to ask what they base property tax on. Does anyone know? They raised my taxes really high the year I put my pool in.

I don't mind paying property taxes except for the fact that you are being taxed on the same things over and over.

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 09:25 AM
Here in Oklahoma, you still have to pay taxes, even if your house burns down.

http://www.newson6.com/story/19308249/wildfire-victims-still-have-to-pay-property-tax-because-of-state-law

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 09:28 AM

I imagine that they are lower where I live here in Oklahoma than a lot of states, but then so is income and the price of living. I would think that my particular county is one of the highest taxed though, just looking at the bills. A while back, a lady came by my house and told me to unlock my back gate and keep my dogs in. She showed me some ID and said she was from the Woodward County property tax assessment office. I don't know how high mine are compared to other Oklahoma counties but they keep going up at what seems like a faster rate than the income bracket. I have never thought to ask what they base property tax on. Does anyone know? They raised my taxes really high the year I put my pool in.

I don't mind paying property taxes except for the fact that you are being taxed on the same things over and over.

Don't know about OK but I'm guessing most states are similar'
Here in IA, any improvements will raise your taxes, any neighbors
improvements will raise everyone's property values, inflation will
raise your taxes. We have a website that shows current values
and past values, owners, external improvements. Check out any
recent sales in your neigborhood and see if there is a pattern of
increasing value. Bond issue approvals will raise your taxes. As
to being taxed for the same thing over and over, if the value of
your property goes down, so will your taxes (then the area gov't
will step in and "reassess" everyone's property). If your property's
value stays the same, so will your taxes.

olevetonahill
8/18/2012, 09:32 AM
value stays the same, so will your taxes.

Rock, You live in Indiana?

My Sis lives in Crane, she retired from the Ammo plant a couple years ago.

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 09:35 AM
Rock, You live in Indiana?

My Sis lives in Crane, she retired from the Ammo plant a couple years ago.

Ummm, IA = Iowa....

olevetonahill
8/18/2012, 09:37 AM
Ummm, IA = Iowa....
Show what I know huh?

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 09:43 AM
Show what I know huh?

Nah, yer compression hose too tight ..:biggrin:

olevetonahill
8/18/2012, 09:45 AM
Nah, yer compression hose too tight ..:biggrin:
well they both start with an I an end with an A

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 09:53 AM
value stays the same, so will your taxes.That explains a lot. I live in the oldest neighborhood in my town. We have a neighborhood association and the homes are either run down and being fixed up at a high rate, or very beautiful. The homes in my edition don't stay for sale for more than a week or two. People are really ramping up on making a lot of property improvements. We did the same. Our home is worth 4 times what we payed for it back in 1999 because we remodeled it from the roof down and did a lot of landscaping, new fencing, adding an in ground pool and beautiful gardens, windows, added a window seat, stone and wood flooring where we didnt restore the original wood flooring, marble statues, and structures, stone being incorporated inside and out, granite, and things like that had a lot to do with my taxes going up.

East Coast Bias
8/18/2012, 10:05 AM
It's all relative, the state gets their money one way or another.Here in New Hampshire we have no state income tax or sales tax but the property tax is harsh. The state also runs the liquor business and makes a windfall on the lottery. I

yermom
8/18/2012, 10:44 AM
first world problems

Honestly, property taxes irk me. Income taxes seem more fair.

It's like getting taxed on your money in the bank

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 10:52 AM
first world problems

Honestly, property taxes irk me. Income taxes seem more fair.

It's like getting taxed on your money in the bank

How do you propose to fund schools, pay for street lights,
snow removal, city infrastucture repairs, etc.?

hawaii 5-0
8/18/2012, 11:09 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in Texass doesn't the state lottery pay for their school funding?

In Hawaii I pay about $250 per mo.

5-0

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 11:21 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in Texass doesn't the state lottery pay for their school funding?

In Hawaii I pay about $250 per mo.

5-0

5-0, the lottery here in IA pays a lot into the education fund. That
was part of the agreement to allow the lottery to operate..Powerball
is/was based in West Des Moines, IA. I think the drawings are in FL
now. I doubt that the lottery in Texas could/would pay for all the state's
education, but I don't know for certain..

Sooner5030
8/18/2012, 02:55 PM
property taxes are evil....IMO....it's like paying rent to the state. I'd rather them jack up sales and income taxes (maybe add a VAT) and do away with property taxes.....at least residential and vacant land.

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 05:19 PM
well they both start with an I an end with an A

More letters in Indiana, that's how I tell 'em apart..:biggrin:

I Am Right
8/18/2012, 05:30 PM
How do you propose to fund schools, pay for street lights,
snow removal, city infrastucture repairs, etc.?

Property taxes fund schools. Sales taxes, taxes on utilities, City and County Fees, franchise taxes, speeding tickets, they pay for street lights, snow removal, city infrastructure repairs, etc.

rock on sooner
8/18/2012, 05:36 PM
Property taxes fund schools. Sales taxes, taxes on utilities, City and County Fees, franchise taxes, speeding tickets, they pay for street lights, snow removal, city infrastructure repairs, etc.

'K, i thot they all kinda worked together....

olevetonahill
8/18/2012, 05:38 PM
More letters in Indiana, that's how I tell 'em apart..:biggrin:
I caint count tho

olevetonahill
8/18/2012, 05:44 PM
The one and bout Only tax I ever really bitched about was that Personal Property tax . Thats a MoFo right there
Bout the Only ones who ever pay that are Real property owners, Renters never get assessed with it . Sure they supposed to go down an declare their personal property but do you know any that do?, The only ones its enforced on are Home owners

You work to earn money to buy you a Nice TeeVee, you Pay Fed and State income taxes on that Money, then you pay a sales tax on that TeeVee and from then on out you pay a tax just to own the dayum thing that is wearing out, but yet you pay a tax just like its new

TheHumanAlphabet
8/18/2012, 05:49 PM

Can't you file a protest. I did once on mine in TX and i got it knocked down a few hundred dollars. On par with my neighbors now.

I Am Right
8/18/2012, 07:54 PM
Only people who own property get to vote on property tax issues. Hummmmm!

pphilfran
8/18/2012, 08:44 PM
Only people who own property get to vote on property tax issues. Hummmmm!

People that rent pay property tax via an increased rent fee due to the property tax....hmmmmmmm!

cleller
8/18/2012, 10:47 PM
Don't like property taxes, but in principle capital gains taxes irk me more.

jkjsooner
8/19/2012, 05:41 PM
People that rent pay property tax via an increased rent fee due to the property tax....hmmmmmmm!

Economists use these arguments often (especially when it comes to commodity prices) and I've definitely repeated them but I've often wondered exactly how this works.

It's definitely not a direct relationship. In the most direct sense, rent is controlled by supply and demand. If an owner's expenses go up, that should not affect the prices unless it alters the supply and demand. It's similar to an underwater homeowner who is trying to sale her house at a cost to cover the loan; As a buyer I don't care how much you owe on the house.

Obviously, increase costs in taxes can affect the supply. Some may get out of the landlord market if the rental prices can't cover the costs. I guess higher taxes also acts as an implicit collusion as homeowners will all attempt to raise rates together.

pphilfran
8/19/2012, 06:10 PM
Economists use these arguments often (especially when it comes to commodity prices) and I've definitely repeated them but I've often wondered exactly how this works.

It's definitely not a direct relationship. In the most direct sense, rent is controlled by supply and demand. If an owner's expenses go up, that should not affect the prices unless it alters the supply and demand. It's similar to an underwater homeowner who is trying to sale her house at a cost to cover the loan; As a buyer I don't care how much you owe on the house.

Obviously, increase costs in taxes can affect the supply. Some may get out of the landlord market if the rental prices can't cover the costs. I guess higher taxes also acts as an implicit collusion as homeowners will all attempt to raise rates together.

That is true but the rent is paying the taxes...the landlord may put less in his pocket but in the end the renter is paying...