PDA

View Full Version : Stacy McGee suspended

Biggnick15
8/17/2012, 11:41 AM
Suspended indefinitely per jake trotter on twitter.

SoonerAtKU
8/17/2012, 11:43 AM
Jesus Christ, I take back the hypothetical DT depth issue I mentioned on the OL thread. I'm sorry.

badger
8/17/2012, 11:45 AM
up4LTKxe0PA

SoonerofAlabama
8/17/2012, 11:47 AM
Well, that's just what we needed. Crap

PrideMom
8/17/2012, 11:52 AM
You can't fix stupid!!!

vtsooner21
8/17/2012, 12:05 PM
Just keeps on comin', huh?

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 12:34 PM
@Jake_Trotter

McGee violated "university" policy, not football policy, per Stoops

@Jake_Trotter

David King will slide from end to replace McGee at DT. That probably makes Chuka Ndulue a starter at DE.

@Jake_Trotter

Walker/McFarland more like NGs. King replaces McGee's quickness “@Kgeezy10: why not keep king at DE and start McFarland/Walker at DT?

From twitter

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2012, 12:35 PM
I don't like King at DT.....grrrr.

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 12:35 PM
so is this a "pot" or "grades" kind of deal?

SoonerofAlabama
8/17/2012, 12:36 PM
I don't like King at DT.....grrrr.

Which means Chuka is probably starting.

Also, he violated university policy, not football policy. So grades?

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 12:36 PM
sounds like drugs to me. But i have no idea

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 12:39 PM
‏@Jake_Trotter

OU would not be moving King to DT if they didn't think Tapper/Onouha could play .

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 12:42 PM
suspended isnt the same as dismissed is it?

i'm trying to think what language was used for other players in trouble......suspended tells me he'll be back at some point

right? or am i mistaken on that

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 12:44 PM
yes, i believe suspended is not permanent.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2012, 12:46 PM
Not dismissed, but the word "indefinitely" can't be good.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2012, 12:48 PM
The difference is that this is a university issue and not a team issue..

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 12:54 PM
Not dismissed, but the word "indefinitely" can't be good.

i've always interpreted that to mean "until we determine otherwise"

neither good nor bad

Ryan Broyles was once suspended indefinitely

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 12:57 PM
So could be grades and can get back on the team after the semester.

budbarrybob
8/17/2012, 01:01 PM
Either I've been paying more 'tention the last several years, the social medias have been more active or OU has just been the recipient of some DUMBA$$ bad luck. SMH

marfacowboy
8/17/2012, 01:01 PM
How could it be grades unless he was dependent on grades from a summer course. But even then, they would have known that a long time ago. Maybe he was caught sexing up some coed on campus. Alcohol on campus. Who knows.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2012, 01:02 PM
i've always interpreted that to mean "until we determine otherwise"

neither good nor bad

Ryan Broyles was once suspended indefinitely

I admit I'm putting a negative spin on a neutral word. Probably extrapolating on McGee having issues before and the fact it is not a football matter causing me to think of bureaucratic type time frames (e.g. needing an NCAA ruling on restored eligibility).

badger
8/17/2012, 01:02 PM
Student-athletes MUST have 30 credit hours completed per classification to remain eligible.

Sophomores: At least 30 credits completed (read: PASSED)
Juniors: At least 60 credits completely
Seniors: At least 90 credits completed.

This is why that redshirt year is so valuable. Redshirt sophomores have two years to get to 30, redshirt juniors have three years to get to 60, redshirt seniors have four years to get to 90, so that if you flunk/drop/??? a class, or just don't take 15 per semester, you have a little wiggle room.

Of course, it might be something else, like underage drinking (which, as we all know, is a very, very strict OU policy after that fraternity freshman's death)

SoonerNomad
8/17/2012, 01:04 PM
Unbelievable!

Positive view

at least it wasn't an offensive lineman.

Negative view

what next?

C&CDean
8/17/2012, 01:15 PM
Ah, here we go again. Another promising season, another rash of injuries/stupidity. This ****ing record is broken.

Widescreen
8/17/2012, 01:22 PM
If it was grades, I wouldn't think they would say "indefinitely". More like "not playing this year". I guess we'll see.

redkid
8/17/2012, 01:23 PM
is this an Oklahoma problem,,with all the suspensions and transfers happening at OU and up north at the vet college,,,or is this a nation wide issue,,just seems like I don't hear much about other schools having these many issues. everytime I pick up a paper someone is suspended or quitting.

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 01:26 PM
@Jake_Trotter: David King said that he would be playing DT "the first couple games of the season." Indicates to me Stacy McGee could be back by then.

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 01:27 PM
you'd think it would take longer than 2 weeks to correct a grades issue

what about something else academic related?

badger
8/17/2012, 01:28 PM
If it was grades, I wouldn't think they would say "indefinitely". More like "not playing this year". I guess we'll see.

Is it possible that he's waiting for grades to come in that haven't been finalized yet from an intersession class? I know that fall semester begins Monday, so we'll see, I guess.

Speculation sucks. Somebody just needs to tweet the truth already :)

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 01:29 PM
ok - he slept with Boren's daughter

there - it's out

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 01:31 PM
either way - its an opportunity to see what the young kid can do - the first 2 games are perfect games to get some experience

BillyBall
8/17/2012, 01:35 PM
is this an Oklahoma problem,,with all the suspensions and transfers happening at OU and up north at the vet college,,,or is this a nation wide issue,,just seems like I don't hear much about other schools having these many issues. everytime I pick up a paper someone is suspended or quitting.

It's a national problem, check out EDSBS' Fulmer Cup Standings...

picasso
8/17/2012, 01:38 PM
Well, we also received 3 pretty good transfers.

C&CDean
8/17/2012, 01:45 PM
Well, we also received 3 pretty good transfers.

Bobby Stoops? Is that you?

8/17/2012, 01:45 PM
He was caught puffing on a hookah.

8timechamps
8/17/2012, 01:48 PM
King played DT last year, so that's good. Ndulue has been pushing for time at DE (plus we do have a lot of talent there), so moving King to DT was probably the easiest way to keep the best players on the field.

Damn, it's gotten to the point that I'm afraid to look at any website/email just because I'm afraid it's going to be more bad news.

SoonerofAlabama
8/17/2012, 02:23 PM
In the ESPN article about this, they talked about the other suspended players and they said Reynolds and Franks won't play this season. Is it just wording or is that news too?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8278336

zeke
8/17/2012, 04:18 PM
Good fricken grief. These stupid guys who dip sh*t themselves off of a big time team like OKLAHOMA or lsu or any other place ought to have to pay the scholorship money wasted on them back with interest. Its like stealing the money and the coaches time. Pisses me off to personally know ZERO people who have the opportunity that they have and they STUPID themselves out of it....F**K!!!

badger
8/17/2012, 04:20 PM
In the ESPN article about this, they talked about the other suspended players and they said Reynolds and Franks won't play this season. Is it just wording or is that news too?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8278336

I think it's just tricky wording:

McGee is the fifth Oklahoma player to be suspended during this offseason. Receiver Kameel Jackson was eventually dismissed from the team, while defensive back Quentin Hayes and receivers Jaz Reynolds and Trey Franks have been reinstated to practice but won't be allowed to play in games.

Doesn't say "all games," just "games." That could mean 12... or just two.

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2012, 05:17 PM
Student-athletes MUST have 30 credit hours completed per classification to remain eligible.

Sophomores: At least 30 credits completed (read: PASSED)
Juniors: At least 60 credits completely
Seniors: At least 90 credits completed.

This is why that redshirt year is so valuable. Redshirt sophomores have two years to get to 30, redshirt juniors have three years to get to 60, redshirt seniors have four years to get to 90, so that if you flunk/drop/??? a class, or just don't take 15 per semester, you have a little wiggle room.

Of course, it might be something else, like underage drinking (which, as we all know, is a very, very strict OU policy after that fraternity freshman's death)

No, a student athlete needs to have the minimum hours required by the NCAA for classification. However those hours have to go toward their degree. A athlete can skirt by with 12 hours minimum.

Now, OU could make it 15.

That said, I do not think this is an academic issue at all. If it were then the coaches and even McGee would have known well before today.

I think he broke some other university policy...maybe a failed drug and alcohol test?

85sooners
8/17/2012, 05:50 PM
:gary::gary: wtf!

MountainOkie
8/17/2012, 06:48 PM
Young...:nod: stupid...:nod:. Yeah, I've been there too. Life's messy.

When you've made a wrong turn just do your best to take the right one from here on out.

Feel the pain and use it for motivation.

olevetonahill
8/17/2012, 07:07 PM
Young...:nod: stupid...:nod:. Yeah, I've been there too. Life's messy.

When you've made a wrong turn just do your best to take the right one from here on out.

Feel the pain and use it for motivation.

Sounds like hes trying
Read he told a team mate that he broke some rules and would be punished.
Unless it was something real bad. I hope he learns from it and gets another chance

goingoneight
8/17/2012, 08:03 PM
McGee's already had a reefer run-in with the law before. So, I think we'd know by now if it was that. He better get his head out of the gutter; because this is his last year to do something good with his talent to play for OU.

8timechamps
8/17/2012, 08:25 PM
Well, the GOOD news is that the suspension will be early, so hopefully he'll learn his lesson and be ready for the better teams we face down the line. In fact, we're probably fortunate this year that our schedule is easier at the beginning of the season, since we have a lot of questions on the O-line, WR, etc.

SoonerofAlabama
8/17/2012, 08:46 PM
Is there any word on how long all these suspense players will be out, or is it a wait each week kind of deal?

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2012, 08:54 PM
No definite word. But franks and reynolds will likely be at least 7-8+ games.

Not sure about.mcgee since his is nonfootball related.

tomtom
8/17/2012, 09:04 PM
I heard he was caught with a whole pack of cigarettes.

Ruf/Nek7
8/17/2012, 09:35 PM
I extremely dislike King to DT. I guess Chaz Nelson, Tapper, and Onouha must be ready to go.....i hope.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/17/2012, 09:43 PM
I extremely dislike King to DT. I guess Chaz Nelson, Tapper, and Onouha must be ready to go.....i hope.

I wouldn't bet on him playing there full time. Jordan Phillips will break into the rotation at DT. Besides... re-watch the Texas game from last year and let me know if you still extremely dislike that move.

8timechamps
8/17/2012, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't bet on him playing there full time. Jordan Phillips will break into the rotation at DT. Besides... re-watch the Texas game from last year and let me know if you still extremely dislike that move.

Yep. He'll be fine there for a temporary measure, but Phillips or Wade will earn some time. Many people don't realize just how much King played DT last year, in fact, there were several times we had 4 DEs on the line (and no DTs in the game).

OU_Sooners75
8/17/2012, 11:01 PM
Phillips will get significant playing time early. Will give him a chance to show us what he can do!

Ruf/Nek7
8/17/2012, 11:02 PM
re-watch the Texas game from last year and let me know if you still extremely dislike that move.

I watched the game in full and counted on one hand the amount of times King lined up as a 3 technique. He slid into a 5 a few times when they brought the Will backer up to the line. Now, with that said, King may play the position better than McGee so he will do until Phillips is ready. From what I have heard, Phillips is strong like bull.

Seamus
8/17/2012, 11:20 PM
Yep. He'll be fine there for a temporary measure, but Phillips or Wade will earn some time. Many people don't realize just how much King played DT last year, in fact, there were several times we had 4 DEs on the line (and no DTs in the game).

Please tell me that wasn't what we tried against Tceh or Baylor :apologetic:

Collier11
8/17/2012, 11:28 PM
Word/Rumor is that it could be cheating or plagiarism, also hearing that he could be back within a few games and those two dont usually mesh with coming back early so I am at a loss.

My personal opinion on the WRs is that they will miss the season, just my guess though and I have nothing to back that up

Ruf/Nek7
8/17/2012, 11:56 PM
I think first time offenders get away with a slap and tickle. If he is being suspended indefinitely for cheating/plaigarism, then this must be a multiple time offense.

Collier11
8/18/2012, 12:39 AM
indefinitely is just the new term, that basically means that there is no time frame until Stoops say so. I have seen people be suspended indefinitely that are out 1 week before

StoopTroup
8/18/2012, 12:50 AM
I'm ordering a pizza

colleyvillesooner
8/18/2012, 07:07 AM
From ESPN.com

OU suspends DT Stacy McGee
ESPN.com news servicesAugust 17, 2012
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma senior defensive tackle Stacy McGee has been suspended indefinitely for violating university policy, head coach Bob Stoops announced Friday.

McGee has been a key part of the defensive tackle rotation since 2010, compiling 17 starts over that span.

"It's a big loss," said fellow defensive tackle Casey Walker. "But we'll be all right."

McGee had informed his fellow defensive linemen in recent days that he had broken the rules and punishment might be coming. It didn't become official until Friday.

"It's one of those things where it's like, 'I knew better.' You know what I'm saying?" Walker said. "So, it's like when you're a kid and Mom tells you not to touch the stove and you do it anyway, and you got burned. It's just one of those things. He learned his lesson and whatnot, and he's just moving forward now. You can't dwell in the past."

To offset the loss of McGee, the Sooners (No. 4 USA Today) will slide starting defensive end David King to tackle. King has played tackle in spots in his career, but never full time.

"They told me today I'll be playing (defensive tackle) the first couple games of the season," King said. "I've played there before, so it's nothing new for me. I'm comfortable playing down there. I'm heavy enough to where I can play down there and hold my weight. We'll see how it goes."

Stoops said King, who filled in at tackle while McGee and Walker missed time due to injuries last season, is consistently weighing in at 275 to 280 pounds and will be able to slide inside without a problem.

"If he could treat himself to a few more cheeseburgers, he could be 285 in no time and he's got the strength to play in there. The times he has played in there, he's done well," Stoops said. "So, in all likelihood, we'll rotate him in there with those other guys."

The Sooners' season opener is Sept. 1 at UTEP.

With King moving inside, Chuka Ndulue likely will take his place as a starter at end opposite R.J. Washington.

The Sooners will also lean on Rashod Favors, who moved from outside linebacker to end during the offseason.

"Rashod Favors keeps showing up," Stoops said. "He's really strong, powerful. That's been a positive."

McGee is the third starter the Sooners have lost this preseason. Center Ben Habern elected to give up football due to lingering back and neck injuries. On the first day of practice, right guard Tyler Evans tore the ACL in his right knee.

McGee is the fifth Oklahoma player to be suspended during this offseason. Receiver Kameel Jackson was eventually dismissed from the team, while defensive back Quentin Hayes and receivers Jaz Reynolds and Trey Franks have been reinstated to practice but won't be allowed to play in games.

Information from SoonerNation's Jake Trotter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

StoopTroup
8/18/2012, 07:52 AM
That and other little predictions about the Defense and who is the #2 QB as well as ND has yet to announce a starting QB are slathered all over the Tulsa World Sports Section this morning.

Dear TW...

Thanks for the free paper this morning. Keep them coming. TIA. ST

cleller
8/18/2012, 08:40 AM
Is there any word on how long all these suspense players will be out, or is it a wait each week kind of deal?

Yes. The suspense of these suspensions is killing me.:biggrin:

SouthFortySooner
8/18/2012, 09:22 AM
brrrrrrrring brrrrrrrring, hello, (its my brother) "Hey you listenin to the radio, they're sayin Bomar has been kicked off the team". (kicked in the gut) This isn't quite the same.

Sooner70
8/18/2012, 09:59 AM
Hate to see these things, but appreciate the way Stoops handles it. "Suspending Indefinitely" is the way to go vs. Oregon's Chip Kelly a few years back when his player punched the Boise State guy on national TV & Kelly pronounced him definitely "off the team for the rest of the season", and he was back playing that season when the schedule got tough again. Credibility.

There's a flip side to every one of these. Allows a deserving, qualified player 'in the wings" to step up. Can't put up with any crap.

MamaMia
8/18/2012, 10:10 AM
This kind of stuff happening right before the first game of the season is getting real old.

IronHorseSooner
8/18/2012, 10:24 AM
Right now, we have 7 DTs (McFarland, Walker, The Two Jordans, Damon Williams, Peterson, and Walker), 7 "full-time" DEs (King, Washington, Ndulue, Chaz Nelson, Favors, Tapper, and Onuoha), and two "part-time" DEs (Shannon and Lindley). Depth is not the concern at DL. The fact that the coaches stated that some of these guys were having good camps and they wanted to see them in game action makes me more relieved. For McGee, just a hunch, I bet we see him by K-State or Tech at the latest. For all practical terms, we were probably going to see the new/young guys in the first two games for starters, and guys like The Two Jordans and Damon Williams match-up better against K-State's running game. Again, just a hunch from a former kicker...

Collier11
8/18/2012, 12:26 PM
Lets be honest, we need the experience but its not like he was Tommie Harris. Hopefully someone else will step up

agoo758
8/18/2012, 05:01 PM
Hate to see these things, but appreciate the way Stoops handles it. "Suspending Indefinitely" is the way to go vs. Oregon's Chip Kelly a few years back when his player punched the Boise State guy on national TV & Kelly pronounced him definitely "off the team for the rest of the season", and he was back playing that season when the schedule got tough again. Credibility.

There's a flip side to every one of these. Allows a deserving, qualified player 'in the wings" to step up. Can't put up with any crap.

Blount came back in the last two games of the season in a very limited capacity, let's not be dishonest here.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2012, 05:36 PM
Blount came back in the last two games of the season in a very limited capacity, let's not be dishonest here.

That's the way I remember it - Blount did not get any meaningful snaps. Chris Peterson was the guy that disappointed me - there was no punishment for the guy that started it by taunting Blount like a middle schooler at recess (at least he got decked).

htownsooner7
8/19/2012, 07:56 AM
Any word on the progression of Jordan Phillips and Marquis Anderson? I was hoping they would be budding stars this year. Also, I bet David King is a pro type at tackle, probably a perfect end in a 3-4 scheme.