PDA

View Full Version : 8/16 Scrimmage Notes

8timechamps
8/16/2012, 06:49 PM
Here you go baby birds:

* Lightening delayed the scrimmage, so the team wasn't able to get as many plays in as hoped (well, not as many as Saturday's 102 plays).

* Geneo Grissom had a big day. Coach Stoops said on XM Radio (after the scrimmage), that Grissom has "taken hold of the TE position".

* Freshman RB Alex Ross showed off his speed again with the longest play from scrimmage, a 64 yard TD run.

* Stills and Shepard played the slot. It's looking very likely that Stills will open the season as the slot receiver, with Sterling Shepard backing him up.

* Wort didn't play today. Nelson was the "best linebacker on the field" today.

* Freshman Gary Simon has been solid with the second team defense, and looks like the 3rd CB behind Colvin/Hurst on the depth chart.

* Players that were held out today: RB Dom Whaley (precaution), LB Tom Wort (minor neck/back issues), DE David King (neck), DT Casey Walker (hamstring), DT Stacy McGee (precaution) and FB Trey Millard (precaution).

* Lots of work on special teams today. Hunnicut hit a 55 yard FG (note: not sure if it was into the wind or with the wind).

* Rashod Favors and P.L. Lindley have been moved to DE. Favors has been solid, and is battling for the fourth spot on the depth chart (between Chaz Nelson, Charles Tapper and Favors).

* Gabe Lynn continues to work at the nickelback, and Julian Wilson at the dimeback.

* Jordan Phillips got to start at DT alongside McFarland. Phillips is a big body, and was solid at DT today.

* Offensive line rotation looks like this: LT Thompson, LG Shead, C Ikard, RG Irwin, RT Williams.

* The first team defense looks good. Good communications between all the defensive starters. The second team defense gave up a couple of big plays, which was credited to some new players out of position/unsure of responsibility (normal for new players this time of year).

* Sterling Shepard, playing out of the slot, had "the catch of the day". Not a long, scoring pass, but a catch and moves that caused defenders to miss.

That's all for now.

goingoneight
8/16/2012, 07:18 PM
But, but, but... the media says they can't ever get any info whatsoever out of OU's practices and camps!!!

boomersooner28
8/16/2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you! Fun stuff to read.

cccasooner2
8/16/2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks! I really like Simon, he is always near the ball. He may make mistakes, but I like that he is in position to make a play.

8timechamps
8/16/2012, 08:45 PM
I am most shocked by the comment Stoops made about Grissom. This kids was an ankle injury away from getting serious time at DE, and now he has "taken control of the TE position"? Either Stoops is blowing smoke, or this kid is an amazing athlete.

8timechamps
8/16/2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks! I really like Simon, he is always near the ball. He may make mistakes, but I like that he is in position to make a play.

Me too. Not known by many right now, but he will have his time in the sun. I'm sure a lot of his mistakes are because he's so new/young. Very aggressive DB though.

PLaw
8/17/2012, 06:25 AM
I am most shocked by the comment Stoops made about Grissom. This kids was an ankle injury away from getting serious time at DE, and now he has "taken control of the TE position"? Either Stoops is blowing smoke, or this kid is an amazing athlete.

Good for Grissom. As I understand it, he approached the coaches about the change. That certainly improves our depth there.

LB depth is my biggest area of concern. Very worried that Wort will be out for 1-2 games because he will get nicked up. Get your grenade launchers ready, but I would still like to see an experiment with Millard at Mike. Cumby did okay with that move back in the day.

Boomer

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2012, 06:46 AM
good stuff - thanks for posting/sharing!

SoonerofAlabama
8/17/2012, 11:05 AM
An someone tell me why everyone was in a different jersey today?

BillyBall
8/17/2012, 12:30 PM
* Players that were held out today: RB Dom Whaley (precaution), LB Tom Wort (minor neck/back issues), DE David King (neck), DT Casey Walker (hamstring), DT Stacy McGee (precaution) and FB Trey Millard (precaution).

Precaution huh?

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 12:37 PM
Precaution huh?

Precaution from getting his *** kicked off the team

8timechamps
8/17/2012, 01:50 PM
Precaution huh?

Yeah, not so much.