PDA

View Full Version : 8/15 Team Notes

8timechamps
8/15/2012, 07:29 PM
Here's a few tidbits (I hate that word, but it's fun to say...go ahead, try it...I'll wait...). Okay, ready?

* Incoming freshman (RB) Daniel Brooks was given a redshirt today. Brooks, who could have been in the RB mix, was injured at a track meet earlier in the summer. So, this is really no surprise. Side-note; Landy Jones, Dom Whaley and even recruit Durron Neal either visited or called Brooks in the hospital after he had surgery for the injury. He has been able to run over the past week and half, and should be back to 100% by next spring.

* Whaley back to his pre-injury form: Coach Stoops on Whaley: “Dominique Whaley has looked really good, he didn’t get a lot in the scrimmages intentionally, but in our inside drills and other sessions where we are going hard, he really looks to be pretty close to where he was.”

* Aaron Colvin loves being back at corner. He says it's his "natural position", and he's focusing on getting used to playing closer to the boundary (sideline). Says he's ready to play corner, and has spent most of his time learning the new defensive scheme.

* Interesting quote from coach Norvell (regarding Trey Metoyer): “He’s had a good camp but the challenge is to go out there every day and play at the highest level and to try and do all the little things better than everybody else. Until they do that, he ain’t ready. He’s just got to continue to push himself and that’s the challenge. That’s the challenge of training camp". (Norvell commented on Metoyer, Shepard, Neal and Derrick Woods. He basically said the exact same thing about all four.)

* Landry Jones has lost weight, and appears to be in the best shape he has been in since arriving in Norman. His physical change has translated into a quicker, more agile QB. There were a couple of instances in Saturday's scrimmage when Landry didn't have an open receiver and/or was forced out of the pocket, and rather than throwing the ball away, ran for positive yards. Overall, he looks "as good as ever" (via coach Stoops).

* Of all the back-up QBs, Blake Bell was (by far) the most impressive Saturday. Still no back-up QB named.

*Depth chart should be released in the next 10 days.

PLaw
8/15/2012, 07:40 PM
gracias, 8time.

Think Norvell may be delivering a message to young receivers? Really glad Brown, Beastor, and Stills are ready to go. Somebody needs to balance a kids ego when all he ever hears is how great he is - I think Coach Norvell addressed that issue today.

BOOMER

8timechamps
8/15/2012, 07:43 PM
gracias, 8time.

Think Norvell may be delivering a message to young receivers? Really glad Brown, Beastor, and Stills are ready to go. Somebody needs to balance a kids ego when all he ever hears is how great he is - I think Coach Norvell addressed that issue today.

BOOMER

I found his commentary particular interesting. I agree with your thoughts, and believe he's telling them that just because we are thin with experience at the position, it doesn't mean you can just show up and play. Good to set the tone for the young guys.

SoonerofAlabama
8/15/2012, 07:56 PM
10 Days, another thing to countdown to. :)

Thanks for the updates, 8TC.

SoonerofAlabama
8/15/2012, 07:59 PM
A running Landry, healthy Whaley, and speedster Millard. Sounds like it's wishbone time. :D

Mazeppa
8/15/2012, 08:07 PM
I'll have to see Landry run before I get to worked up.

Dan Thompson
8/15/2012, 08:15 PM
I would like to see Ripkowski get the ball a little this year.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2012, 08:16 PM
any new news on the waiver for Saunders?

goingoneight
8/15/2012, 08:21 PM
Landry will not be a runner; but being able to make the wise decision to pick up yards on the ground on a busted play is where you might see a difference. I've seen LJ make great improvisational plays on busts against Stanford (shovel pass to Murray) and against Nebraska (another drop off to Murray when his entire backfield went the opposite direction of the play). However, I've also seen him make some bad decisions like the interception against FSU and the fumble against OSU. What he does is all going to depend on how calm and confident he is. At times (really most of the time), he's cool and collected for a guy who every team tees off on. But there are those times we're all well aware of.

Mazeppa
8/15/2012, 08:37 PM
He should be cool and collected, he's started like forty games.

boomersooner28
8/15/2012, 09:01 PM
Color me concerned about our O-line and WR corp. Just am. I hope I'm wrong.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/15/2012, 09:18 PM
I'll have to see Landry run before I get to worked up.

Yeah. He sucks.

Idiot.

picasso
8/15/2012, 09:32 PM
Why WR? We almost have too many now.

8timechamps
8/15/2012, 10:01 PM
any new news on the waiver for Saunders?

Nothing yet. Any day now.

8timechamps
8/15/2012, 10:02 PM

I think the concern in the O-line is pretty founded, we'll see how that goes. As for WR, picasso nailed it, we almost have too many. Young, yes. But certainly a lot of talent.

boomersooner28
8/15/2012, 11:06 PM

Let me re-phrase I guess. WR that have any kind of timing with Landry. We all saw what happened to Landry after Broyles went down. These guys are talented but young and haven't been around Landry very long.

picasso
8/15/2012, 11:09 PM
OK, can't argue with that but I'm really excited about the WR situation. I think defenses are going to have their hands full.

PLaw
8/16/2012, 10:25 AM

Can't ever have too much.

I felt really good about OL until Juco transfer issues and injury bug - now, it is a concern.

RB85 going down last year showed how fragile we are at WR.

Can't have too much.

I can remember the days before the 85 limit when OU had RB's that never saw the field that were making NFL rosters. Now, that may have been too much.

BOOMER