PDA

View Full Version : State of the Brand: Oklahoma Sooners

marfacowboy
8/15/2012, 01:03 PM
Apologies if this has been posted already....a fair assessment, I'd say.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012
State of the brand: Oklahoma Sooners (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/11946/state-of-the-brand-oklahoma-sooners)
By Jake Trotter

Editor's note: RecruitingNation is taking a look at the state of each team's brand.

NORMAN, Okla. -- The Oklahoma brand has enjoyed better times. Bud Wilkinson’s Sooners charging to 47 straight wins. Barry Switzer and Sooner Magic rolling to three national championships in a little more than a decade. Bob Stoops hoisting the BCS trophy after one of the most dominating defensive performances in college football history and a 13-2 win over Florida State.

In recent years, the powers of the SEC have been the class of college football, collecting the last six national titles. But if you’re looking for a more consistent brand than the one in Norman? Good luck.

Bob Stoops is 139-34 as head coach of the Sooners.
Seemingly every power over the last 15 years has endured tough times at some point. USC. Michigan. Ohio State. Tennessee. Penn State. Florida. Florida State. Miami. Notre Dame. Yes, even Texas, which suffered a losing record just two seasons ago.

But since Bob Stoops took over in 1999, Oklahoma has been the model of consistency. The Sooners have finished with double-digit victories in 10 of the last 12 seasons.

By Oklahoma standards, 2011 was an utter disaster. The Sooners lost leading rusher Dominique Whaley, then leading receiver Ryan Broyles before eventually careening off the road in November. And even then, the Sooners still won 10 games.

“We've won so many Big 12 championships and won a national championship, competed for other national championships,” Stoops said. “When you're not in that position, 10-3 isn't what you want.”

In reality, the Stoops era only underscores what the Oklahoma program has been about since World War II: consistent winning at the highest level. The Sooners lead the nation in winning percentage during the modern era. They own the longest winning streak in FBS history. And in the AP poll, they have been voted No. 1 a record 101 times. The Sooners have also spent more weeks ranked in the top five and top 10 of the poll than anyone else in the country.

The biggest knock on the program of late is that the Sooners perennially fail to meet their lofty -- almost unrealistic -- preseason expectations. Despite remarkable regular seasons, Oklahoma lost national title games in 2003, 2004 and 2008. Then in 2010 and 2011, the Sooners failed to reach the national championship game, despite being ranked No. 1 in each season.

Still, despite last year’s swoon, Oklahoma goes into this season on the short list of title contenders yet again. The Sooners are ranked fourth in the preseason polls, and feature the most experienced quarterback in college football in fifth-year senior Landry Jones.

“I feel we’ve got a really good chance,” Stoops said, “to be one of those teams where we’re competing for Big 12 and national championships.”

None of which is new at Oklahoma.

KantoSooner
8/15/2012, 01:30 PM
It's fair. But it's also fair to say that we've lost the aura of 'swagger', 'magic' whatever that we've had at times in the past; when opponents would come in and know they were going to be beaten before the game started. We had that over Nebraska for a while and it was delicious. And when the magic beat tOSU and Woody Hayes, it was strongly implicated in his descent into insanity and self destruction in the next several seasons.
It's a powerful thing to have and I hope Bob and Mike have been dancing nude, painted with woad, around a small fire to get it back this year.

85sooners
8/15/2012, 02:24 PM
Bring back the swag bobby!

marfacowboy
8/15/2012, 06:13 PM
It's fair. But it's also fair to say that we've lost the aura of 'swagger', 'magic' whatever that we've had at times in the past; when opponents would come in and know they were going to be beaten before the game started. We had that over Nebraska for a while and it was delicious. And when the magic beat tOSU and Woody Hayes, it was strongly implicated in his descent into insanity and self destruction in the next several seasons.
It's a powerful thing to have and I hope Bob and Mike have been dancing nude, painted with woad, around a small fire to get it back this year.

I think there's some truth to that. But I think every team, even teams like LSU or Alabama (if they were on the schedule), would see an OU game as a game they could definitely lose. In contrast, I think most of the teams we play have gone from thinking "It will take a miracle," or "we're doomed," to "we have a chance at an upset." I'm pretty sure Texas Tech actually thought they could win, and they damn sure did.
A nightmarish defense will help bring that back, I think. People don't fear playing Alabama because of their offense and their average QB's. It's the defense and linebackers that are 250 and run 4.3 that get your attention.

budbarrybob
8/15/2012, 06:20 PM
...It's the defense and linebackers that are 250 and run 4.3 that get your attention.

This is possibly the most rediculous thing that you have ever posted. EVERYONE knows that SEC speed cannot actually be measured...
-Neg Spek for that!

LA.SoonerFan
8/15/2012, 07:46 PM
I'm not so sure anyone fears us right now, and that is dangerous. The last three seasons haven't been too dominating. Teams in 2010 we should have wiped the field off with but didn't gave other teams some hope. Now these teams think they can play with us. I believe we will eventually get that swager back. I just hope it's this season. It's very possible. It's obvious our D needs to finally step up.

PLaw
8/16/2012, 04:09 PM
Bring back the swag bobby!

85 - that sounds too much like that RISE shatt down in austin, more talk than action.

Let's let our action do our talking, keep our mouths shut, fingers off of the tweet send button, and play every down full throttle.

BOOMER

C&CDean
8/16/2012, 04:18 PM
No sharks. No bull****. Play ball.

85sooners
8/16/2012, 04:22 PM
Bring it back!!!!!!

soonerloyal
8/16/2012, 09:31 PM
No sharks. No bull****. Play ball.

And WIN.

Amen, brother.

MamaMia
8/16/2012, 10:51 PM
I just want to see that 'play like a champion type focus' this season.

SoonerMarkVA
8/18/2012, 10:06 AM
I feel the biggest change under Stoops has been from a feared defense (that, granted, had those occasional meltdowns in the passing game) to a better-than-average defense. There was a time that I thought any game that we scored in the 30s, and just about every game in the 20s, was already won. I no longer see that as reality, and have some hope that Mike will get us back up the hill. If '99/'00 showed anything, it's that it shouldn't take M. Stoops long to get things going again if he's going to at all.

marfacowboy
8/18/2012, 09:39 PM
Feared defense looks like this:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/250/341/selmon-brothers3_display_image.jpg?1276001844