PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage notes/position updates

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 05:34 PM
Thought I would pass along some information. I take credit for none of this. Enjoy.

Saturday's scrimmage:

* Jalen Saunders (Fresno State transfer) played a lot Saturday (not typically the case when a transfer is expected to have to sit out), which could mean Stoops is expecting the NCAA waiver to be approved. OU is expecting word from the NCAA any day now. Saunders looked as good as advertised, and was the fastest receiver on the field, and "the star" of the scrimmage.

* Bell played most of the day with the second string offense. No official back-up has been named, but it's looking like it's going to be Bell (based on how much he's played with the second unit).

* The entire group of WR were the talk of the scrimmage. Metoyer, of course, looked great.

* Although the WR unit looked good, Jaz and Trey saw very little field time.

* Alex Ross continues to impress, and has speed to burn.

* At WR, LaColton Bester was working behind (PSU transfer) Justin Brown, and Jalen Saunders behind Trey Metoyer. Kenny Stills worked in the slot with Sterling Shepard backing him up. If Saunders gets his waiver approved, that's probably the rotating 6 receivers. If not, add Duron Neal to the mix. No mention of Finch in the slot.

* Offensive line looked good, as the offense was able to move the ball consistently. (note: I'm always worried that means the defense didn't play well).

Position Notes:

* Corey Nelson, who struggled a little in the spring, looks very comfortable now. -via LB coach Tim Kish

* Transfer RB Damien Williams has played very physical, and added depth at the position. "We plan on him playing, he's doing a good job" - Via Cale Gundy

* "He uses his hands, as far as a young wide receiver, coming off the line of scrimmage as good as anybody I have ever been around.", that was coach Heupel's opinion of Sterling Shepard, who has probably been the most impressive of the freshman receivers.

* Both freshman DEs Charles Tapper and Michael Onuoha are "physically ready to play now" (from BJW). Chuka Ndulue is just behind Washington and King at DE. Add Tapper and Onuha to the list.

* Freshman LB Eric Striker will not be red-shirting this season. He will have immediate impact on special teams, but may not see much time behind Nelson, Ibiloye and Aaron Franklin. However, he is going to be "special" at the position - via Tim Kish.

marfacowboy
8/13/2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm not so sure about Striker. They don't need him for special teams. They're probably needing him for LB depth more than they care to admit.
Hope you're right on Jalen.

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm not so sure about Striker. They don't need him for special teams. They're probably needing him for LB depth more than they care to admit.
Hope you're right on Jalen.

I'd agree with that. We've had kids in the past that were good special teams players and still red shirted. I'm hoping that Striker can add that depth you mentioned. He was a safety coming out of high school, and I thought he may end up back there, but it looks like he's better at OLB.

BoulderSooner79
8/13/2012, 06:02 PM
* Offensive line looked good, as the offense was able to move the ball consistently. (note: I'm always worried that means the defense didn't play well).

Typical Sooner fan, 8time. If the offense looks good, the defense suks; if the defense looks good, the offense suks. If it's a stalemate, they both suk.

;)

Oh, and thanks for the notes. :)

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 06:17 PM
Typical Sooner fan, 8time. If the offense looks good, the defense suks; if the defense looks good, the offense suks. If it's a stalemate, they both suk.

;)

Oh, and thanks for the notes. :)

Even as a sunshine pumper, I have my old school tendencies. :)

SoonerNomad
8/13/2012, 06:44 PM
I'm with you 8time. Even more old school. I would rather hear that the defense was kicking butt. I know this offense will be good, but I am not as confident about the D. Defense, as you may have heard, is the difference between talking about national titles and competing for them.

picasso
8/13/2012, 08:42 PM
Ross was a 100M sprinter in high school. The fact that he's 215ish is impressive.

SoonerofAlabama
8/13/2012, 09:06 PM
Was watching videos on soonersports; was really happy to see Ben Habern is still at practice helping the O-Line out. :)

PLaw
8/13/2012, 09:18 PM
Even as a sunshine pumper, I have my old school tendencies. :)

Well, it's good to see that you are working on it. Mucho gracias for the update - good poop on Saunders. Certainly hope he clears, but I ain't putting in money or esteem on it.

Great job!

BOOMER

PLaw
8/13/2012, 09:19 PM
Ross was a 100M sprinter in high school. The fact that he's 215ish is wicked scary.

^^^ FIXED.

BOOMER

marfacowboy
8/14/2012, 02:29 PM
I'm with you 8time. Even more old school. I would rather hear that the defense was kicking butt. I know this offense will be good, but I am not as confident about the D. Defense, as you may have heard, is the difference between talking about national titles and competing for them.

This is precisely correct.

8timechamps
8/14/2012, 03:13 PM
Well, it's good to see that you are working on it. Mucho gracias for the update - good poop on Saunders. Certainly hope he clears, but I ain't putting in money or esteem on it.

Great job!

BOOMER

Just read today that Jay Norvell said there is a lot more to Saunders waiver request (than just a coaching change at his former school). Apparently he included some personal and medical issues that Norvell believes will help get the waiver approved. So, that sounds good.

MamaMia
8/14/2012, 03:34 PM
I find myself rooting for the D at all the Spring games. :)

BigJerm7
8/14/2012, 03:44 PM
* At WR, LaColton Bester was working behind (PSU transfer) Justin Brown, and Jalen Saunders behind Trey Metoyer. Kenny Stills worked in the slot with Sterling Shepard backing him up. If Saunders gets his waiver approved, that's probably the rotating 6 receivers. If not, add Duron Neal to the mix. No mention of Finch in the slot.

Are Penn St fans aware of this? They penciled Brown in at #7 on the depth chart behind all the receivers that already had experience in OU's system.

CowboyMRW
8/14/2012, 05:46 PM
Ross was a 100M sprinter in high school. The fact that he's 215ish is impressive.

215??!! That is super legit and quite scary for opposing corners. Is he going to play WR or play RB at OU?

cccasooner2
8/14/2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks 8t. UTEP had it's 1st scrimmage also and scored 8 touchdowns. http://www.utepathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081412aab.html

I think we are really in trouble. :D

SoonerofAlabama
8/14/2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks 8t. UTEP had it's 1st scrimmage also and scored 8 touchdowns. http://www.utepathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081412aab.html

I think we are really in trouble. :D

If they decide to upset somebody, hopefully it will be Wiscconsin or Ole Miss, although I don't think they pick who they can beat. :)

hawaii 5-0
8/14/2012, 07:22 PM
Love the update.

I'm ready for kickoff.

5-0

cccasooner2
8/14/2012, 07:27 PM
Gundy/Kish and their boys getting serious, brutal. http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/?media=326692

Striker, Damien Williams, Clay excelled. Ross and Smith need more work.

picasso
8/14/2012, 11:04 PM
I find myself rooting for the D at all the Spring games. :)
Me too! Our best teams under Stoops have been defense heavy in spring ball. This is why I don't understand the Poke fans being giddy over 50 caught balls in their scrimmage.

TFSooner
8/15/2012, 12:31 PM
Me too! Our best teams under Stoops have been defense heavy in spring ball. This is why I don't understand the Poke fans being giddy over 50 caught balls in their scrimmage.

It's simple really. Lack of quality football history to fully understand.

BoulderSooner79
8/15/2012, 01:35 PM
My original point of "if something goes well in scrimmage, then something bad happened on the other side of the line" was just poking fun at 8time. I think he got it.

85sooners
8/15/2012, 02:12 PM
D-fence!!

SoonerofAlabama
8/16/2012, 11:48 AM
Any more updates from today's scrimmage?

goingoneight
8/16/2012, 11:55 AM
What is the media crying about when it comes to practice? I think there's plenty of access to the top storylines as well as a few video clips. I think keeping the tweeters out of practice is a good idea. All you need to know about PRACTICE has pretty much been made easily available.

TFSooner
8/16/2012, 01:03 PM
My original point of "if something goes well in scrimmage, then something bad happened on the other side of the line" was just poking fun at 8time. I think he got it.

Heard Dave Rader (ex Tulsa head coach) say basically the exact same thing years ago on the radio (in regard to the spring game, which is a "scrimmage" in reality). He said, "If the offense does well, you worry about the defense. If the defense does well, you worry about the offense." I totally agree.