PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M campus shooting

badger
8/13/2012, 01:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=20120813_13_0_COLLEG45768)

College Station police spokeswoman Rhonda Seaton tells CNN multiple people have been shot, including law enforcement, but she doesn't know the extent of the injuries. Multiple calls to Seaton's cellphone from The Associated Press have gone straight to voicemail.

Boomer.....
8/13/2012, 02:01 PM
The nutjob has been apprehended.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/texas-active-shooter-campus-apprehended-16995655

KantoSooner
8/13/2012, 02:41 PM
You know, I'm assuming that TAMU wasn't singled out by some international (or domestic) group. I'm assuming that it wasn't an armed robbery gone wrong. Guessing here, but most likely some deranged a-hole did this.

In full support of Second Amendment rights, but how do we keep guns out of the hands of nut jobs?

This **** is getting awfully old.

badger
8/13/2012, 02:47 PM
This **** is getting awfully old.

Agree. I know that criminals will get guns no matter how many restrictions we put on them, but I would like a little bit more oversight on how you can purchase/own/etc firearms. Nut jobs are giving normal gun owners a bad image, so I can't imagine groups like the NRA et al would be 100 percent against more background checks and such.

badger
8/13/2012, 02:52 PM
Now two dead (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=20120813_13_0_COLLEG45768) :(

badger
8/13/2012, 02:59 PM
TexAgs (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2130580&page=6&forum_id=5) is reporting THREE dead now. :(

SoonerofAlabama
8/13/2012, 03:01 PM
Prayers for the victims. Hope everyone else ends up okay.

badger
8/13/2012, 03:06 PM
The latest is that the gunman himself is among those dead.

KantoSooner
8/13/2012, 03:21 PM
Oh, good. He gets to go out with a big splash and use two innocents to make a big deal out of it. Why can't these morons just go off along the railroad tracks BY THEMSELVES if they are tired of it all?

badger
8/13/2012, 03:23 PM
People sometimes don't act normally when their neck is on the line.

yermom
8/13/2012, 03:25 PM
didn't this happen right about this time last year in Austin?

yermom
8/13/2012, 03:27 PM
i guess it was two years ago, and he only shot himself.

still, jeez.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-09-28/news/27076664_1_campus-shooting-rampage-texas-student

TheHumanAlphabet
8/13/2012, 03:31 PM
Houston Chron reporting 1 cop dead, 1 perp dead, taken into custody.

badger
8/13/2012, 04:03 PM
i guess it was two years ago, and he only shot himself.

still, jeez.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-09-28/news/27076664_1_campus-shooting-rampage-texas-student

I only remember when it happened cuz one of our players tweeted something not-nice about it (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/jaz-reynolds-twitter-texas_n_744442.html) :(

pphilfran
8/13/2012, 04:12 PM
It is their one moment of fame...

The public foams at the mouth for more and more details and the media is happy for the rating...

The sooner we get this crap off the air the better....

yermom
8/13/2012, 04:15 PM
I only remember when it happened cuz one of our players tweeted something not-nice about it (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/29/jaz-reynolds-twitter-texas_n_744442.html) :(

i hadn't realized it was that late in the season, but yeah, that's why i remembered it too

salth2o
8/13/2012, 04:21 PM
Constable Brian Bachman was the officer KIA today by this scum bag. He was 41 y/o and leaves behind a wife and young children.

Report is that he was serving an eviction notice to the POS who wouldn't pay his rent.

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 05:52 PM
I've struggled for years trying to understand why these people do this kind of thing. I finally realized that there is no way a sane person can possibly take the lives of random folks. Their minds don't work the way most of ours do, they are wired very differently. Regardless of their mental state, I still feel that they should be held accountable for their actions, and in most cases sentenced to death.

This is another horrible and senseless act.

C&CDean
8/13/2012, 07:14 PM
Constable Brian Bachman was the officer KIA today by this scum bag. He was 41 y/o and leaves behind a wife and young children.

Report is that he was serving an eviction notice to the POS who wouldn't pay his rent.

This post almost makes me wanna move this to the obama board. And Badger, the answer to your question up top is a thunderous NO. Nay, HELL ****ING NO!!!.. Having some additional "government oversight" will not stop one single POS from getting ahold of some guns to go kill people. That's what you're not getting. People like me don't need any more "oversight." What we need is courts who will flay alive the POS criminals who use guns for illegal purposes. FLAY. ALIVE. That way a gun won't be blamed, just a ginsu.

Jacie
8/13/2012, 08:03 PM
I've struggled for years trying to understand why these people do this kind of thing. I finally realized that there is no way a sane person can possibly take the lives of random folks. Their minds don't work the way most of ours do, they are wired very differently. Regardless of their mental state, I still feel that they should be held accountable for their actions, and in most cases sentenced to death.

Though not a clinical term, the word you are looking for is psychopath. They are unable to feel emotions normal people do, including empathy. Most are not violent nor do they go on killing sprees. They can learn how to fake it, pretend to have emotions when they don't and function more or less like the rest of us, though usually are somewhat more anti-social.

hawaii 5-0
8/13/2012, 08:07 PM
Tragic, just tragic.

5-0

picasso
8/13/2012, 08:45 PM

This is what gets me. These guys who are killed who have young children. Incredibly tragic.

MamaMia
8/13/2012, 11:40 PM
:(

TheHumanAlphabet
8/14/2012, 09:53 AM
The whole thing is tragic. The perps step father said the guys was "effing crazy" yet they did nothing to get this guy help or involuntarily commited. The guy bought 2 rifles/carbines legally as he had no notices against him. He apparently was playing video games constantly and had quit work or lost his job over it. The family shunned him and he apparently was living in the "gaming world" all according to TV/press reports. Echoing Dean's previous comments, there was no record of his state of mind so he was legally able to purchase.

Sad, I believe the constable was newly elected into office and the landlord taht was putting the perp out was also killed. A lady driving on the street taking her daughter to her new apartment/house for the school year was shot and is in critical condition.

Why the family didn't do anything is beyond me, but the perp was 31 y.o.

KantoSooner
8/14/2012, 10:38 AM
Would it really be too much to ask for a (perhaps computerized) psych screen along with proof that you can hit pretty close to a target on the police range and break down and reassemble the weapon before we turn you loose on the public at large?

I mean, criminy, we've got the damn Fedex driver saying, "Well, I thought it was odd, when I delivered the 14,000 rounds of ammo along with the 250 lbs of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and 55 gallon drum of diesel. It was hard to get a signature because the consignee was naked, sweating and running around on all-fours barking and howling. But I thought, well, the deer are getting pretty aggressive in these parts and a man's got a second amendment right to protect himself; who'm I to get in his way?"

There's got to be some mechanism that intelligent people can agree upon to keep guns/cars/explosives/poison/heavy equipment/airplanes etc out of the hands of the insane.

salth2o
8/14/2012, 11:35 AM

This post almost makes me wanna move this to the obama board

Why?

lexsooner
8/14/2012, 03:02 PM
Would it really be too much to ask for a (perhaps computerized) psych screen along with proof that you can hit pretty close to a target on the police range and break down and reassemble the weapon before we turn you loose on the public at large?

I mean, criminy, we've got the damn Fedex driver saying, "Well, I thought it was odd, when I delivered the 14,000 rounds of ammo along with the 250 lbs of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and 55 gallon drum of diesel. It was hard to get a signature because the consignee was naked, sweating and running around on all-fours barking and howling. But I thought, well, the deer are getting pretty aggressive in these parts and a man's got a second amendment right to protect himself; who'm I to get in his way?"

There's got to be some mechanism that intelligent people can agree upon to keep guns/cars/explosives/poison/heavy equipment/airplanes etc out of the hands of the insane.

The problem is, Kanto, that the gun lobby has won, so no politician will touch any gun control issue with a ten foot pole. About all you will get is a directive to fly the flag at half mast after yet another one of these incidents. Maybe there will be enough of these killings that there eventually will be a tipping point and these issues can actually be confronted, but until then, it's hands off.

8timechamps
8/14/2012, 03:32 PM
As I mentioned in the Aurora shooting thread, I HATE that every time there is a tragedy like this, the issue of gun control is brought up (not pointing at you badger, I mean the media). Like Dean (and so many others have said), people will get guns regardless of more/less oversight.

olevetonahill
8/14/2012, 03:50 PM
Sad for the Vics.
The only way to keep guns out of the hands of the Crazies is to have a totally controlled society. as In BIG BROTHER
But as long as we want to enjoy the Freedoms we have, there will be those who get weapons and use them in a horrible manner

KantoSooner
8/14/2012, 03:53 PM
You're absolutely right. Hell, I was an NRA member for over 25 years and own guns (rifles, shotguns, pistols). And I still think we'd go further to protect gun owner's rights if we had a bit more sense to the laws. At this rate, the public will swiftly grow sick of hearing of this crap and throw the baby out with the bath.

salth2o
8/14/2012, 04:02 PM
I agree 8X. More regulation simply means that it will be harder for law abiding citizens like most of us to get/own guns. Every time something like this happens the liberal media runs with it to push their agenda.

This was a senseless tragedy that took a good man and father.