PDA

View Full Version : OU vs tx game

SOONERnTx
8/11/2012, 10:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to get tickets to the OU-tx game. I'm not opposed to trying to buy them at the game, but i've never tried doing this. Has anyone had luck in the past picking up tickets for this game right before kickoff? Any advice is appreciated!

Mazeppa
8/11/2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.stubhub.com/search/doSearch?searchStr=oklahoma+sooner+vs+texas+longho rns+2012&pageNumber=1&resultsPerPage=50&searchMode=event&start=0&rows=50&geo_exp=1

picasso
8/11/2012, 11:06 PM
I paid $85.00 for a ticket off of a scalper right before kickoff. In 1991.

Mazeppa
8/11/2012, 11:07 PM
http://www.ticketcity.com/college-football-tickets/big-12/texas-longhorns-vs-oklahoma-sooners-tickets-cotton-bowl-october-13-100pm.html

picasso
8/11/2012, 11:13 PM
Is your name Sherman Oaks?

SOONERnTx
8/11/2012, 11:13 PM
i've looked at every online ticket option. Trying to avoid that route. It seems they are way overpriced. Maybe if texas losses a couple games the online prices will fall, but right now they seem too high. Thanks for the suggestions though Mazeppa. I'm willing to pay around $150 or so depending on the seats. Might be able to get that around kickoff. Is this unreasonable for this game???

nativesooner
8/12/2012, 01:09 AM
face with the fees is $125 so you might want to bump up your "willing to pay" price. Your best bet is to stalk the boards week of, or buy some on the Texass side after they choke off a couple.

HAMTTX
8/12/2012, 04:08 AM
I have bought them at the game a number of times, BUT I did not care if they were together. If this is important to you, you may want to have them in hand before you go.

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2012, 06:38 AM
Grease up your behind and stand infront of Joe Castiglione .

Soonerntxs
8/12/2012, 08:20 AM
Prior to being a season ticket holder, we used to get them outside about 15 min till kickoff never paid over 100 per for lowers.

badger
8/12/2012, 08:35 AM
face with the fees is $125 so you might want to bump up your "willing to pay" price. Your best bet is to stalk the boards week of, or buy some on the Texass side after they choke off a couple.

this, mostly because by then, poor students looking to make a buck will be selling the ones they just received.

SOONERnTx
8/12/2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the good info. It's just me looking for a ticket because the wife doesn't like being around longhorns. Hopefully it will pretty easy to find a single closer to game day.

StoopTroup
8/12/2012, 12:31 PM
Prior to being a season ticket holder, we used to get them outside about 15 min till kickoff never paid over 100 per for lowers.

That will be around 200-300 now. Of course if you wait longer than 15 minutes you might do better. There is the occasional person that doesn't like selling tickets for more than face on Fair Ground Property but I think most of those are sold the night before at Hotels that have a nice bar. I've gotten some like that before. Buying a few drinks for folks will really change their mind about their asking price.

Everybody has their little tricks.

85sooners
8/12/2012, 02:18 PM
Ticket prices are getting out of hand

fadada1
8/12/2012, 03:18 PM
I paid $85.00 for a ticket off of a scalper right before kickoff. In 1991.
i was at that game - you got ripped off.

badger
8/12/2012, 04:22 PM
Word. But, sports is how colleges get extra money now that higher ed public funding is getting repeatedly cut.

If you dont like it, watch it on tv. Im not saying that to be mean, im saying that cuz you will see more of the game, likely be indoors/air conditioning and have greater access to cheaper food/drink/beer

SOONERnTx
8/12/2012, 04:28 PM
Word. But, sports is how colleges get extra money now that higher ed public funding is getting repeatedly cut.

If you dont like it, watch it on tv. Im not saying that to be mean, im saying that cuz you will see more of the game, likely be indoors/air conditioning and have greater access to cheaper food/drink/beer

I would normally agree with this, but I've never been to a red river game. I think you have to go to at least one in your lifetime. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be there.

picasso
8/12/2012, 04:36 PM
i was at that game - you got ripped off.
One would think so but we were on the 15th row on the 50 yard line right amongst the Texas blue bloods.

badger
8/12/2012, 04:39 PM
Oh yes, you should definitely experience it at least once. Treat it like a vacation expense :)

5noubus
8/12/2012, 09:46 PM
We have purchased 4 tickets (2 pairs) in the lines for the tram to get to the fair grounds for face give or take 5 bucks for the last 2 years.
1 would be easy.

spatton713
8/12/2012, 11:13 PM
ive got tickets before in 2009 for 100 outside gate an hour before kickoff...seen several last year same price

nativesooner
8/13/2012, 04:41 PM
If you're just wanting one, yeah you can get it for face for sure.. hell maybe less? One of my buddies tagged along last year and waited until kickoff.. bought a seat on the 20, OU side for $75! Come on down!

pweitkem
8/13/2012, 06:12 PM
The tickets will be very expensive. No way around it. If cost is an issue I have a way to go and enjoy the game without spending a ton... did this for a few years when I was broke.

Go to the State Fair ($7), hang out at the beer tent outside of the stadium, watch the game on the TVs. You can still hear the crowd noise like you're in the stadium. You won't be alone, there will be a few hundred Sooner fans to throw 'em back with. Heck, at halftime you'll have access to some really good seats for the cost of one beer... Longhorns are pretty lame fans and won't go back into the game if they're down by more then a touchdown at half.

SoonerNomad
8/13/2012, 06:37 PM
I hope you find a way to get in. I went to my first one in 2002 as the guest of a message board season ticket holder who ended up having an extra seat. I know the stadium is old and the neighborhood is bad, but there's nothing like it in the world. I have been to the Final Four (1986 in Dallas) and a Super Bowl (XXIV in Atlanta in 2000) and they don't compare. I know I am not being objective, but the emotion and the atmosphere were unbelievable and somewhat overwhelming. I was 42 in 2002 and have been a fan since moving to the U.S. in 1968. It was like the poster above said. It's something you have to do at some point in your life. It was a dream come true for me and I was very emotional about it. I got to my seat early to see Coach Stoops go touch and talk to every player. I stayed in those seats after the game to watch the Sooners plant the flag and celebrate a 37-24 win. I went back in 2004 (12-0 in the rain, shutting out Vince Young and the great freshman running back that kept chaning field position) and 2006 (ugly third quarter) and the feelings were the same. I hope to do it again some day.

8timechamps
8/13/2012, 07:07 PM
I hope you find a way to get in. I went to my first one in 2002 as the guest of a message board season ticket holder who ended up having an extra seat. I know the stadium is old and the neighborhood is bad, but there's nothing like it in the world. I have been to the Final Four (1986 in Dallas) and a Super Bowl (XXIV in Atlanta in 2000) and they don't compare. I know I am not being objective, but the emotion and the atmosphere were unbelievable and somewhat overwhelming. I was 42 in 2002 and have been a fan since moving to the U.S. in 1968. It was like the poster above said. It's something you have to do at some point in your life. It was a dream come true for me and I was very emotional about it. I got to my seat early to see Coach Stoops go touch and talk to every player. I stayed in those seats after the game to watch the Sooners plant the flag and celebrate a 37-24 win. I went back in 2004 (12-0 in the rain, shutting out Vince Young and the great freshman running back that kept chaning field position) and 2006 (ugly third quarter) and the feelings were the same. I hope to do it again some day.

This pretty much sums it up. It may not be the best rivalry in the country (since that's pretty subjective anyway), but as a Sooner fan, it is. There is no way to explain why it's so special, you just have to experience it in person. Also, I've paid anywhere from $75 to $150 for a seat outside of the stadium.

SOONERnTx
8/13/2012, 08:19 PM
Looks like I'll be headed to Dallas to try my luck with the scalpers. I just needed some encouragement. I just hope I don't get down there and not get in!

Sooner70
8/16/2012, 05:46 AM
Been awhile since I've been, but I'm thinking this year maybe. How do you tell if it's a REAL ticket or not? I've heard of folks peddling those real looking fakers outside the stadium & honestly I could probably be fooled by that. How would one know? I'd probably be one of those that'd pay $100 for a worthless piece of paper. Just my luck.

StoopTroup
8/16/2012, 06:42 AM
I'm thinking it's been awhile since any of you have been to the Cotton Bowl.

Although its still not one of the greatest places the renovations that made it a 90,000+ seat Stadium did improve it from a field surrounded by Cattle Guards. Also if you go Early you can park in the Fair Parking and if you don't want to risk having to park in the neighborhood there are plenty of Buses traveling into the Fair that you could park in much better areas if you wanted to. If you haven't been there since 2002 you really don't know what you are talking about.

I think it's fair to say that if the Folks in Dallas want to keep having the game there....they are going to need to keep pouring money into it for awhile.

SOONERnTx
8/16/2012, 09:27 AM
Been awhile since I've been, but I'm thinking this year maybe. How do you tell if it's a REAL ticket or not? I've heard of folks peddling those real looking fakers outside the stadium & honestly I could probably be fooled by that. How would one know? I'd probably be one of those that'd pay $100 for a worthless piece of paper. Just my luck.

Good question, I would like to know the answer to this too. Does anyone know? More than likely I will have to buy from someone at the game.

rysooner
8/16/2012, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking it's been awhile since any of you have been to the Cotton Bowl.

Although its still not one of the greatest places the renovations that made it a 90,000+ seat Stadium did improve it from a field surrounded by Cattle Guards. Also if you go Early you can park in the Fair Parking and if you don't want to risk having to park in the neighborhood there are plenty of Buses traveling into the Fair that you could park in much better areas if you wanted to. If you haven't been there since 2002 you really don't know what you are talking about.

I think it's fair to say that if the Folks in Dallas want to keep having the game there....they are going to need to keep pouring money into it for awhile.

How early, how many hours before kickoff? We're staying about 6 miles from the CB and I was thinking of taking a cab to and from the hotel instead of fighting the traffic/parking. Which is better?

PrideMom
8/16/2012, 11:10 AM
Tickets should be easy to get after Texas loses before the OU game!! I do NOT recommend trying to go to Dallas without a ticket. People will try to sell last year's tickets, etc. We did it ONE time, and found ourselves sitting outside the Cotton Bowl with our radio headsets listening to the game. We were very fortunate, that a Texas fan came out after the first quarter with a sick wife and let us buy his tickets. We had to sit in the Texas side, but OU won that day anyway! But I will never forget that feeling at being so close to the game and not being there! Hearing the roar and not seeing it was torture!!

nativesooner
8/16/2012, 08:37 PM
Good question, I would like to know the answer to this too. Does anyone know? More than likely I will have to buy from someone at the game.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! lol! Book at one of the "official" hotels where there are tons of Sooners. You'll find a single for sure, probably even on Friday night. It's a whole lot easier to get one than two or more.

nativesooner
8/16/2012, 08:38 PM
How early, how many hours before kickoff? We're staying about 6 miles from the CB and I was thinking of taking a cab to and from the hotel instead of fighting the traffic/parking. Which is better?

I would say 8 if the game is at 11. Plan on waiting around at least 2 hours after the game ends too if you're taking a cab.

SOONERnTx
8/16/2012, 09:10 PM

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! lol! Book at one of the "official" hotels where there are tons of Sooners. You'll find a single for sure, probably even on Friday night. It's a whole lot easier to get one than two or more.

Lol, I'm in Waco, so I'll be driving very early in the morning. I'm already excited about this game. I'm having ticket anxiety though! If anyone on here hears of anyone selling a single let me know!!!

nativesooner
8/16/2012, 11:27 PM
Lol, I'm in Waco, so I'll be driving very early in the morning. I'm already excited about this game. I'm having ticket anxiety though! If anyone on here hears of anyone selling a single let me know!!!

Just keep your eyes peeled here and on the other boards. You might even do a post that you're looking for a single when they arrive. I'll send you a pic of ours if you want.

SOONERnTx
8/16/2012, 11:38 PM

Just keep your eyes peeled here and on the other boards. You might even do a post that you're looking for a single when they arrive. I'll send you a pic of ours if you want.

Thanks I would appreciate that. I'm also looking into big red tickets. Has anyone used them in the past?

8/17/2012, 05:01 PM
If you can't find a ticket, at least you can enjoy a bunch of deep-fried gut bomb.

Phil
8/17/2012, 05:14 PM
Here's another idea - find you a seedy-looking ticket taker and give him/her a $50 handshake in lieu of a ticket. Don't laugh - it works at the RRS.

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2012, 05:17 PM
Here's another idea - find you a seedy-looking ticket taker and give him/her a $50 handshake in lieu of a ticket. Don't laugh - it works at the RRS.

I used to know a guy who did this. Every. Year.

Landthief 1972
8/17/2012, 05:24 PM
I would normally agree with this, but I've never been to a red river game. I think you have to go to at least one in your lifetime. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be there.

In my case, both years I woke up with the 2 worst hangovers I've ever had in my life (thanks Humperdink's). On the drive over to the fairgrounds, I was sitting with my head over a plastic Wal-Mart sack on the verge of puking. I was miserable up until about the 4th quarter, and OU lost both of those games (2008 and 2009). My buddy who has the tickets has not invited me back, because the next year when I didn't go, we won.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/17/2012, 05:48 PM
One tip: If you are going with someone else, be willing to sit separately, at least early on. Single tix are generally much less per ticket than pairs.

8/18/2012, 03:22 AM
Rich, I agree with your logic, but it is worth the money to share OU/Fexas with a Sooner friend. Can you imagine the high-five syndrome injuries during the Half-Hundred+15 game?

"PLEASE MAKE IT STOP." youtube

I like that longhorn and would buy him a beer.

StoopTroup
8/18/2012, 03:57 AM
The tickets will be very expensive. No way around it. If cost is an issue I have a way to go and enjoy the game without spending a ton... did this for a few years when I was broke.

Go to the State Fair ($7), hang out at the beer tent outside of the stadium, watch the game on the TVs. You can still hear the crowd noise like you're in the stadium. You won't be alone, there will be a few hundred Sooner fans to throw 'em back with. Heck, at halftime you'll have access to some really good seats for the cost of one beer... Longhorns are pretty lame fans and won't go back into the game if they're down by more then a touchdown at half.

Great attitude and IMO a great way to find tickets without a bunch of stress. Folks who want to go should go. If you went every year I guarantee that in a 10 year span....you are going to have some memories of when you went to the OU / fexas Game and maybe a couple of when you had to watch on the Midway and use your ticket money to gamble on the game, eat extra corndogs or party on after the Sooners whip that whorn ***. :D

StoopTroup
8/18/2012, 04:01 AM
Rich, I agree with your logic, but it is worth the money to share OU/Fexas with a Sooner friend. Can you imagine the high-five syndrome injuries during the Half-Hundred+15 game?

"PLEASE MAKE IT STOP." youtube

I like that longhorn and would buy him a beer.I got into it with him on that youtube thread and after we whipped his teams *** he apologized. He's not your typical whorn and I agree with you....I'd buy him a beer too.

On another note....I'd feel up his Sister if the whorns were to score a TD on us by getting all excited and high fiving her then move in with a belly bump, a hug and a grope. :D ;)

8/18/2012, 04:17 AM
I got into it with him on that youtube thread and after we whipped his teams *** he apologized. He's not your typical whorn and I agree with you....I'd buy him a beer too.

On another note....I'd feel up his Sister if the whorns were to score a TD on us by getting all excited and high fiving her then move in with a belly bump, a hug and a grope. :D ;) Alrighty, then. Boomer Sooner.

SOONERnTx
8/19/2012, 09:40 AM
I just noticed texas plays osu and west virginia right before us. I'm going to hope for a losing streak going into the OU vs texas game. Hoping that effects ticket prices!