PDA

View Full Version : The Lakers are the Best in the West

Eielson
8/11/2012, 09:57 PM
In case you didn't already know, I felt I should inform you.

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2012, 10:04 PM
I'm already imagining a Heat-Lakers NBA Finals. I can't imagine James and Bosh at PF and C would match up well in the paint against Gasol and Howard (The New Twin Towers). Also, Go Clippers.

SoonerBread
8/11/2012, 10:20 PM
Aside from Bynum's locker room demeanor, is Howard really that big an upgrade to the position? Defensively, probably, from a shot blocking perspective. Offensively, not any more. Howard isn't the consistent scorer he once was.

That aside, is Nash really who's going to fix their PG problem? Love Nash, helluva player. But the Lakers have had problems with athletic teams lately, and with aging Kobe, aged Nash, and "twin towers" are they really any better prepared to deal with teams that can put 4 or 5 dynamically athletic players on the floor? Hell, OKC didn't and still doesn't have a dominant inside presence and routed the Lakers in the conference semis. OKC ran them into the floor. I'm not sure much has changed except the names on the backs of the Laker jerseys.

Eielson
8/12/2012, 11:15 PM
I had a big long post, but my computer messed up and I lost it just as I was submitting it. I don't feel like typing it all back up, so here is a quick recap:

If the Thunder try to guard LA like they did this year, Nash, Meeks, and Jamison will get Sessions and MWP's looks, and the new acquisitions will make them pay this time around. If they respect the new threats LA has in their offense, then Pau, Kobe, and Howard are going to be in one on one situations all game. It's just a different form of punishment, really. Team USA had no answer for Pau today. Not Love, not Lebron, not even DPOY Tyson Chandler (yes, he did win that over Ibaka). Good luck stopping LA when their third best player can cause so many nightmares.

And yes, Howard is a huge upgrade for LA over Bynum. He's better in transition, he's better on defense, he's more consistent, and he might even be able to coexist with Gasol (fingers crossed). Bynum got a lot of low post looks at Gasol's expense due to Buss' ego. Bynum was Buss' guy. He played a big role in him being drafted despite doubters among the organization. He wanted to show just how right he was about that draft pick, and it hurt the team. Just ask Phil Jackson. If they can get Howard and Gasol to coexist effectively, this team won't just win the West, they'll be capable of beating the Heat and becoming one of the best teams in franchise history. I'd say these guys could make a run at the magical #70, but it might take awhile for them to get used to each other, Howard might miss some time at the beginning of the year, and most importantly, none of these guys care about the regular season.

Eielson
8/16/2012, 11:25 AM
You guys suck.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2012, 11:04 AM
I am a die hard, lifetime Lakers fan..

And I still think the Thunder is the best team in the west...I do think LA jumped past SA, but it will be a good series if LA meets up with the thunder in the west.

Eielson
8/18/2012, 11:41 AM
I am a die hard, lifetime Lakers fan..

And I still think the Thunder is the best team in the west...I do think LA jumped past SA, but it will be a good series if LA meets up with the thunder in the west.

I just can't see rating the Thunder above the Lakers unless you have no faith in Mr. Potatohead (which might be a reasonable fear).

StoopTroup
8/18/2012, 12:29 PM
Kobe Beef isn't real.

8timechamps
8/19/2012, 04:22 PM
I just can't get excited about Nash. I'm not a Laker fan, so that has a lot to do with it. Seriously, I liked Nash, but is he really going to bring that much to the Lakers?

I do think Howard is an upgrade over Bynum. Bynum could have been the best big man in the game, but it seemed like he only played about 1/4 of the time. As bad as I think Howard handled his contract, he is the best player at his position in the NBA. And that's going to be trouble for any team in the west.

I'm a Nuggets fan, so our recent addition of Iguodala certainly helps, but I hate that we traded Afflalo and Harrington to get him. I do think it makes the Nuggets a better team, and should at least compete with the Thunder for the division.

Anyway, I think the Lakers, on paper, are the best in the west right now. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Eielson
8/19/2012, 09:31 PM
Just having Nash as a shooter makes the Lakers so much better. He also makes LA the best pick and roll team in the league. He may not be an unreal player at this stage of his career, but the excitement of his addition comes from the major upgrade. Sessions contributed very little in the playoffs.

I really like Denver's team. They could do a lot of damage in the East. They just need more to compete in the West, though. They certainly won't be on any team's wishlist for a first round matchup.

Scott D
8/21/2012, 11:46 AM
meh this lakers team would get rolled by both the 80s and late 90s versions.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2012, 01:05 PM
I don't trust the health of Nash or Howard..that's it.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/24/2012, 01:50 PM
Hope the Lakers get Clipped.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/24/2012, 02:08 PM
Hope the Lakers get Clipped.How can any Sooner fan not want Blake and the LA Griffins to rule over the yesterday team from Lalaland?