PDA

View Full Version : Being a Part of the Game Experience or Watching on TV

BoomerSooner123
8/11/2012, 07:02 AM
I am trying to convince my son, SoonerofAlabama to see a game, any game, in Norman for his first live college football game ever. OU is his dream college and I wanted him to spend a day on campus the following Monday. We have a couple years till college and his gpa is like Jefferson's 40 time. First ACT is in a few weeks. SofAL is saying being at the game won't be as good as TV and he is bucking me at going.

I don't want to tie him up and force him to go. It is just one game. It has been since Switzer that I've been to a game. What are the most convincing reasons to see a game in person?

cleller
8/11/2012, 07:41 AM
There is some hassle factor involved for those not already excited about the prospect, but anyone who even thinks it might be fun would be won over.

The energy around campus on game day is something you can't describe. Post 9-11 is not quite as convenient, as you can't just walk in anywhere you want now, but a fall day on the campus is a great time. Pick a date that's not hot. The smells, the band inside the stadium, the crowd noise, the whole field and sidelines in front of your eyes. The girls who try to look pretty; if you ever get annoyed, look at them, they're self-employed.
If you're under 50, you'll have more fun at the stadium than you would at home, hands down.

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 07:53 AM
Its only better on TeeVee if yer lazy and want to drank through out the game
Other wise, Aint nothing better than to be there in person, Feel the excitement, the crowd, the noise,

Jacie
8/11/2012, 08:09 AM
Watching one game on television is like watching any game on television.

Attending one live is like nothing else.

When you attend a game you are not just watching it, you are part of it. You can feel the game when you are in the stadium. It is like you never really experienced it before and afterwards, everytime you watch a game on television you will envy those people in the crowd shots.

AlboSooner
8/11/2012, 10:33 AM

When you attend a game you are not just watching it, you are part of it. You can feel the game when you are in the stadium. It is like you never really experienced it before and afterwards, everytime you watch a game on television you will envy those people in the crowd shots.

This.

The TV can never capture the electricity of the pageantry and the crowd singing in unison the OU chant.

MamaMia
8/11/2012, 10:42 AM

When you attend a game you are not just watching it, you are part of it. You can feel the game when you are in the stadium. It is like you never really experienced it before and afterward, every time you watch a game on television you will envy those people in the crowd shots.When I read this post, especially the part I have highlighted, I could totally relate. I could not have described it any better. When you are actually at the stadium the 2 to 3 hours of tailgating and walking around seeing the band warm up and do the traditional walk into the stadium, and you are welcomed to come to our tailgate, you are among other Sooners, on the campus that makes it all happen. You are a part of the experience as opposed to just watching the game on TV, and you are with all the other people who are in the stadium cheering the team on as one.

When you are actually inside the stadium you are a part of something very special. There are not 84,000 people there for no reason, and thats not even counting just as many, if not more who remain outside the stadium at tailgates watching on their own TVs. The feeling permeates throughout the whole campus area. TV doesn't even show half time anymore so forget about seeing The Pride of Oklahoma marching band, the fireworks at both the north and south end zones after we score, or the team on the sidelines waving their arms, and towels in the air to pump up the crowd, Coach Stoops following the plays as he travels up and down the sidelines watching every play at the line like a hawk, coupled with his reactions, (I take my binoculars just to watch the Sooners on the sidelines and since I'm up higher on the south area I can see the plays better when they are happening on the north part of the field), the jumbotron, Boomer and Sooner leading the Schooner to make the victory tour after we put some points on the board, and the large north side scoreboard action and replays after every play. The crowd cheering together as one is a feeling you just don't get at home.

When the team is warming up Coach Stoops walks around and shakes all the players hands too. I think thats cool. :)

I get chilly bumps every time I see the Sooners run on to the field and when the Jumbotron plays the annual There is Only One Oklahoma video the crowd cheering afterward is totally electrifying!

8timechamps
8/11/2012, 02:06 PM
Being around 80,000+ other Sooner fans will never be replicated by watching TV.

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 02:12 PM
Being around 80,000+ other Sooner fans will never be replicated by watching TV.

Most who know me know I dont do well in crowds However I've noticed when Im at the game in Norman. Im Not in a crowd. Im with 84K + very close friends

8timechamps
8/11/2012, 02:17 PM
Most who know me know I dont do well in crowds However I've noticed when Im at the game in Norman. Im Not in a crowd. Im with 84K + very close friends

Exactly. The older I've gotten, the more I dislike being around a lot of people. But in Norman, on game day...that's like being with family.

olevetonahill
8/11/2012, 02:21 PM
Exactly. The older I've gotten, the more I dislike being around a lot of people. But in Norman, on game day...that's like being with family.

Unfortunately I doubt Ill get to make a game this year

SoonerBread
8/11/2012, 06:40 PM
I will never forget Tech '08 - the atmosphere before and after, the electricity during, the intro video, Jump Around, all of it. And I can only have that memory because I was there. On TV, it just wouldn't have been the same. Manny's one-handed catch. Harrell and Crabtree getting locked down completely. TLew almost taking it to the house.

I will never forget Nebulon '00 - the atmosphere before and after, GameDay there for the first time, the stadium rumbling after Strait returned the INT for a TD in the 3rd, Heupel stiff-arming that dude mimicking the Heisman pose, oranges flying out onto the field in the 4th, students careening onto the field after the last snap, the goal posts coming down, pepper spray wofting up into the stands after the game was over.

I could go on and on. Mizzou '07. UCLA, OsU, and aTm '03. Baylor '05. Broyles' 3rd down conversion KSU '09. Nebulon '04 and Callahan acting a fool. You can't compare those memories to any others viewed from in front of the magic box. I even remember my first Sooner game in '85, vs. ISU. Still have the picture I took as a 7 year old with the Ruf/Neks on the Schooner (when you could do such). Never would have gotten that from home.

The possibility of any of those memories ever being equalled keeps me going back. I'll put up with the crowds, the traffic, the security, all of it - just in case Antonio Perkins sets the punt return record; just in case OU decides to unmercifully destroy the other team; just in case the Sooners get into a dog fight with a team everyone else thinks should beat them, only to rip their hearts out in the fourth quarter and send them to the bus picking their noses and eating the boogers.

Yeah, you get the replays at home. It's comfy. Beer in the fridge. But I can replay Jump Around in my head as often as I want. And if he's really worried about the replays, DVR that ****. Or watch the youtubes on the ride home.

3rdgensooner
8/11/2012, 08:37 PM
I will never forget Tech '08 - the atmosphere before and after, the electricity during, the intro video, Jump Around, all of it. And I can only have that memory because I was there. On TV, it just wouldn't have been the same. Manny's one-handed catch. Harrell and Crabtree getting locked down completely. TLew almost taking it to the house.

I will never forget Nebulon '00 - the atmosphere before and after, GameDay there for the first time, the stadium rumbling after Strait returned the INT for a TD in the 3rd, Heupel stiff-arming that dude mimicking the Heisman pose, oranges flying out onto the field in the 4th, students careening onto the field after the last snap, the goal posts coming down, pepper spray wofting up into the stands after the game was over.

I could go on and on. Mizzou '07. UCLA, OsU, and aTm '03. Baylor '05. Broyles' 3rd down conversion KSU '09. Nebulon '04 and Callahan acting a fool. You can't compare those memories to any others viewed from in front of the magic box. I even remember my first Sooner game in '85, vs. ISU. Still have the picture I took as a 7 year old with the Ruf/Neks on the Schooner (when you could do such). Never would have gotten that from home.

The possibility of any of those memories ever being equalled keeps me going back. I'll put up with the crowds, the traffic, the security, all of it - just in case Antonio Perkins sets the punt return record; just in case OU decides to unmercifully destroy the other team; just in case the Sooners get into a dog fight with a team everyone else thinks should beat them, only to rip their hearts out in the fourth quarter and send them to the bus picking their noses and eating the boogers.

Yeah, you get the replays at home. It's comfy. Beer in the fridge. But I can replay Jump Around in my head as often as I want. And if he's really worried about the replays, DVR that ****. Or watch the youtubes on the ride home.

/thread

8timechamps
8/11/2012, 11:04 PM
Unfortunately I doubt Ill get to make a game this year

Really? Since the tailgates are gone, and I'm probably only going to bring my boys down for a couple of games, I was going to try and get the band back together for some tailgating. Maybe I can talk you in to it closer to time?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/12/2012, 02:28 AM
just try to avoid taking him to one where the temperature on the field is 115 degrees. Go for a November game.

olevetonahill
8/12/2012, 07:21 AM
Really? Since the tailgates are gone, and I'm probably only going to bring my boys down for a couple of games, I was going to try and get the band back together for some tailgating. Maybe I can talk you in to it closer to time?

Oh I moren likely will make 1 er 2

I had reservations at Sooner Legends for all the home games. But I cancelled em. cause Right now My finances are subject to a Big hit in cash flow

MamaMia
8/12/2012, 01:32 PM
Oh I moren likely will make 1 er 2

I had reservations at Sooner Legends for all the home games. But I cancelled em. cause Right now My finances are subject to a Big hit in cash flowHey! Excuse me? How in the hell am I suppose to get my honey? :D

...and I have a tailgate. Granted its not the greatness of the soonerfans one but its big and fun and I 'did' invite everybody. :)

olevetonahill
8/12/2012, 01:56 PM
Hey! Excuse me? How in the hell am I suppose to get my honey? :D

...and I have a tailgate. Granted its not the greatness of the soonerfans one but its big and fun and I 'did' invite everybody. :)

What part of Finances taken a big hit right now did I not say correctly ? :welcoming:

Still not sure Im gonna get any honey this year
That one hive is strugglin bad

C&CDean
8/12/2012, 04:08 PM
How many of you ever used to wait for a replay while you were at the stadium (before the jumbotron days)? It was weird. There'd be a great play, everybody is high-fiving, and you kinda pause and go "where the hell is the replay" since they've had them on TV for so long. Since we now get replays at the games, it ain't even close. Be there. Be loud. Watch the replay.

SoonerInFortSmith
8/12/2012, 05:06 PM
I get chilly bumps every time I see the Sooners run on to the field and when the Jumbotron plays the annual There is Only One Oklahoma video the crowd cheering afterward is totally electrifying!

The intro and the team running onto the field. The OOOOOO U chant when the Sooners kick of. And the decibel level when the crowd cheers. You can feel the passion rumbling throughout the stadium. I guarantee he's never felt anything like it.

olevetonahill
8/12/2012, 05:15 PM
The intro and the team running onto the field. The OOOOOO U chant when the Sooners kick of. And the decibel level when the crowd cheers. You can feel the passion rumbling throughout the stadium. I guarantee he's never felt anything like it.

Hell Hes only 16, I guarantee he aint either .:welcoming:

But it seems for now he has his priority's right, School and grades.
Now if it was some grown person Id call em lazy This youngun Ima Call Motivated

MamaMia
8/12/2012, 05:36 PM
What part of Finances taken a big hit right now did I not say correctly ? :welcoming:

Still not sure Im gonna get any honey this year
That one hive is strugglin badOkay, just send me some when its time then. I'll take one big jar with some honey comb in it, thank you. In return, I will send you some of my homemade wild Oklahoma sand plum jelly. I just gathered all the sand plums this morning, and they are big, ripe and juicy.

Dean, if you liked that batch I sent you 4 years ago, I'll put a couple more in the mail for you, the boys and the Mrs. too. :)

yermom
8/12/2012, 08:50 PM
i do kinda miss watching other games when i watched us on TV

nothing like being there though

i was hooked after my first home game. i haven't missed one since the first one i went to, August 2001 vs. UNC.

SoonerBread
8/12/2012, 09:08 PM
i do kinda miss watching other games when i watched us on TV

nothing like being there though

i was hooked after my first home game. i haven't missed one since the first one i went to, August 2001 vs. UNC.

One of the best first halves of football I've ever seen was in that game. Total domination. Such to the extent the 2nd half was boring and OU was so disinterested they almost let UNC back into the game. But in that first half, every facet of OU's team was completely on point. It was beautiful to watch.

bluedogok
8/12/2012, 09:55 PM
One of the best first halves of football I've ever seen was in that game. Total domination. Such to the extent the 2nd half was boring and OU was so disinterested they almost let UNC back into the game. But in that first half, every facet of OU's team was completely on point. It was beautiful to watch.
I seem to recall that game was miserable hot until until the torrential rains came.

SoonerBread
8/12/2012, 10:18 PM
I seem to recall that game was miserable hot until until the torrential rains came.

May have been. I was young then, so I probably wasn't feeling the heat all that much.